The big Honkin 203 Discussion thread (thoughts? favorite quotes? etc.)

Comments

• edited February 2008
    best quote by agent superball:
    no cameras please, i need a moment
    one of the moments I had to stop again.
    BEST EPISODE EVER. PERIOD.
    sorry, had to write that in capital letters to underscore its significance.
  • edited February 2008
    No. Best episode yet.
    I mean, if this were the best episode ever I could totally live with that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that even now Telltale isn't quite done improving yet.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Flo wrote: »
    I may suck at mathematics, but that's nowhere near the middle ;)

Sorry I didn't mean that geographically as much as metaphorically, in that it's a known location.
  • edited February 2008
    Sam: "Can you kill a man with pure volume?"
    Max: "I don't know. But I just found the Title for my next Metal-Album"

Max: "Mind the razor-sharp pendulum!"
    Sam: "What razor-sharp... oh... that wasn't here before!"
    Max: "So Jürgen is the only one allowed to redecorate?"
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't know if it's a controversy so much as people were just wondering why it's in the middle of Germany instead of a more traditional vampire locale.

I imagined that they were just traveling somewhere drawn without reference material, as usual.

I'm Sorry if someone misunderstood what I wrote : It's not a controversy in my mind, just a question...

For the confirmation, it was about this :
    Flo wrote:
    In the original novel, Frankenstein was created in the city of Ingolstadt in southern Germany. Stuttgart is in the next state over.

Just to know if the writers of the episode choose Stuttgart with this reference in mind...
  • edited February 2008
    Oh yeah, I also loved the joke about
    the graves of the guy who invented nitroglycerin...
    I saw it coming, but it was still great! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Thanks for another awesome episode, Telltale.

I think my favourite bit was the reference to 007.
    When you try the gun on the alchemy machine to turn it to gold. Sam says "Nah, that's been done before."
  • edited February 2008
    i now have high expectations for Chariots of the Dogs. good luck Telltale :D
  • edited February 2008
    I found this secret line of dialouge my second time through. Conditions to activate it are in the second spoiler box.
    Zombie: Stop that man from shooting at us!
    [snip]
    Sam: Why didn't you say anything when we were shooting at you?
    Zombie: We thought it was performance art.

Thank you, TTG, for that throw back to contempoarary art history.
    You will get this conversation if you shoot the zombies during the first act of the game before turning into a zombie.

I also saw the Sam-putting-his-hand-in-his-pockets animation in the game! Yay!! I feel responsible for that.
  • edited February 2008
    What is up with Stinky? The plot thickens...
  • edited February 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    I also saw the Sam-putting-his-hand-in-his-pockets animation in the game! Yay!! I feel responsible for that.

*screams* Where?!
  • edited February 2008
    Love the part where you
    put the stone in the monster's head, and he becomes a stoner.
    And
    his exchange with Sybil about the egg beater hand
    (this one works best with your mind firmly planted in the gutter).
    And
    "the Cloaca Monologues"
    Wanna play doctor, Max?
    (ok, my mind is in the gutter)
    Also I played through the old No One Lives Forever (1 and 2) (great games btw, lots of humor) again recently and had gotten used to
    making improbable escapes from "overly complex but nonetheless perilous" death traps, so Sam and Max actually getting killed came as a total suprise and was all the funnier.
    Also got a good laugh out of
    holy Max
    , as well as
    holy zombie Max

Oh, and I completely missed the dialogue about
    Superball being divorced, so I found it strange that he was going after Sybil all of a sudden.

Oh yeah, this one as well:
    Neve-R-Die batteries. they're undead.
  • edited February 2008
    *screams* Where?!

It's in the Dutch Tilt of Max doing his trademark stance after
    being turned into a zombie and bringing Jurgan's monster to the dating game
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Dutch Tilt

Film class!
  • edited February 2008
    Sam: He may've been our best President, but he is a total glassjaw against lone gunmen.

Love it.
  • edited February 2008
    Oh, and Frankenstein using the Gettysburg Address to hit on Sybil? CLASSIC.
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Film class!

I wish. I just paid attention to last season's audio commentary and put two and two together given what was said during 106.
  • edited February 2008
    Jergen's monster reminded me a little of Marvin from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Not the character of it, he was far too happy, but his face reminded me of him from the TV series.

marvin.jpg

Might just be me...

Still, probably my favourite episode so far. :D
  • edited February 2008
    His voice reminded me of Ned Edison from Day of the Tenticle.
  • edited February 2008

ditto

hey has anyone mentioned the cool "vision eyes" they did for max at the beginning it would be a crime if I was the first.
  • edited February 2008
    Great episode, it's been fun to see Telltale's work get even better with every new episode.

Although one thing that I had been hoping to see was Sam really jam on the banjo, and I thought the rapping contest would have been a good chance for a little progressive bluegrass. I don't suppose you could bring in Bela Fleck to play for an episode, could you? ;)
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008

You mean Weird Ed Edison, from Day of the Tentacle?

Yup, I kept expecting him to say something about Pony Express Stamps.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    i have to ask... no one has commented on zombie vision... did anyone find that?
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »

yea thats what I meant to say.
    someone said the "bloodlust vision" was awsome. but I think that is in the "203 gametap release today normal realease tomorrow" thread I forget what it is called now.
  • edited February 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »

One instance, I think...
    When Sam takes the shot that traps Jesse James' hand, the view switches to a sort of first person hazy slo-mo.
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »

Ed, Ned, Fred, Zed... all I know is that it wasn't Ted or Red Edison. :p
  • edited February 2008
    Humor and writing were spot on, as always. The concept of the raving zombies were particularly cool, much more so than the other concepts season 2 episodes have been based around.

However, if the puzzles continue to increase in arbitrariness, I'm afraid I won't be purchasing season 3. It started to get bad in Maoi Better Blues, but really, some of the puzzles here were just horrendous. Having to notice the end words of the 4 lines of poetry, then play them on the DJ station was particularly egregious in this regard. There was no indication that that bit of poetry was anything more than just background information, no indication that there was any link between it and the DJ station.
  • edited February 2008
    I appreciated the Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo reference. Took me by surprise as I'm a freshman there :D

It was almost like the episode was almost tailored to me.. as Stuttgard was the only major city in Germany I visited. Just neat coincidences there =).
  • edited February 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »

Lemme guess... you were behind it? :D
    Oh Nick! Always looking for praise. :D
  • edited February 2008
    Tohoya wrote: »
    Humor and writing were spot on, as always. The concept of the raving zombies were particularly cool, much more so than the other concepts season 2 episodes have been based around.

However, if the puzzles continue to increase in arbitrariness, I'm afraid I won't be purchasing season 3. It started to get bad in Maoi Better Blues, but really, some of the puzzles here were just horrendous. Having to notice the end words of the 4 lines of poetry, then play them on the DJ station was particularly egregious in this regard. There was no indication that that bit of poetry was anything more than just background information, no indication that there was any link between it and the DJ station.

You click on that poetry and notice whats said.. you click on the dj booth and it contains all the words? I figured the dj booth was related to the poetry from the start.. I thought the puzzles were great in this episode.. All made sense.. I liked the heart of gold puzzle the best..there were a number of steps you had to take and think about to solve it

I thought the start of this episode was pretty slow..but once sam & max became zombies the episode kicked in and was fantastic til the end. Loved the return of Superball, something about him just cracks me up, it may be the monotone delivery.. I loved his responses to sam as a zombie hehe.. the monster was great..and jareds music in that room was brilliant.. I wasn't that happy with the return of the tv studio.. I wish telltale had the time to make 1 more location, because re-using locations does become tiresome. There was a heap of pop culture references in this episode that I loved.. I'm gonna have to replay the episode and write em all down.
  • edited February 2008
    oh and I just have to add one truly laugh out loud moment for me was when Max said he always thought Sybil was a necrophiliac haha!
  • edited February 2008
    yeah the poetry puzzle was very straight foward.
    i'm hoping that they keep up with the level of intricate and detailed animations and cutscenes in the remaining episodes.
    I like Moai, but after playing Raving Dead, Moai seemed alot more flat. Most people were just standing/sitting around and Flint just sat at a bloody window. The finale cutscene was underwhelming too. I was also hoping for at least a cutscene, if not an interactive process of recording the album with Glenn Miller too.
    So basically, Ravind Dead has raised the bar quite a bit IMO.
  • edited February 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    You click on that poetry and notice whats said.. you click on the dj booth and it contains all the words? I figured the dj booth was related to the poetry from the start..
    I have to admit I never made that leap, even with Max's hints about the club not needing a secret password or something along those line.
  • edited February 2008
    I found it to be a dead give-away too. but I guess not everyone can think the same way.
  • edited February 2008
    I like the zombies saying "Geeeehiiiiirnnnn", which is german for "brain".
  • edited February 2008
    Max + halo = WIN
    Zombie Max + halo = EPIC WIN

Also, the bit where he sounds like he's quoting from Scooby-Doo was cute and hilarious.
  • edited February 2008
    Sam: Knick-knacks may come and go, but Newton's balls are forever... :p

(when you shoot out the office window)
    Nooo! My 11,000 domino chain in the shape of Zsa Zsa Gabor!

Sam: You know what they say about guys with big feet - they have big thongs... :rolleyes:

Sam: The Alps are the only place you can say "check out the size of his horn" without being punched.

Sam: Any more acting tips you can give us?
    Mr Featherly: Just follow my lead and don't touch anything.
    Max: Sounds like Sam's prom night! :D
  • edited February 2008
    I was also wondering how the Telltale Guys came up with Stuttgart. I mean, it's cool to see my hometown featured in one of my favourite franchises; I just think the connection Stuttgart - vampire city is quite far fetched. It's quite funny, nonetheless. :D

For your information:
    - Stuttgart is about the same size as Portland, OR.
    - the town is located in a valley, but there are no steep cliffs and such (except for the remnants of the rock garden at the Killesberg, but that's not even a real cliff).
    - we have, in fact, two castles, but they're both located on ground level.

Nah, just nitpicking. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2008
    Lars wrote: »
    I was also wondering how the Telltale Guys came up with Stuttgart.
    Well, it had to start with an S to turn AOL into SOL I guess... :D

Loved it, by the way.

np: The Orb - Orbisonia (The Dream)
  • edited February 2008
    Lars wrote: »
    For your information:
    - Stuttgart is about the same size as Portland, OR.
    - the town is located in a valley, but there are no steep cliffs and such (except for the remnants of the rock garden at the Killesberg, but that's not even a real cliff).
    - we have, in fact, two castles, but they're both located on ground level.
    Stuttgart was chosen without reference material, apparently.

Oops, Jake already made this joke earlier in the thread. Never mind.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.