The Walking Dead episode 2 not working black screen with axe item

edited March 2013 in Game Support
Ok don't get me wrong its an awesome game but this bug is driving me CRAZY:mad: and i don't know what to do, i've tried ctrl+alt, ctrl+q, ctrl+alt+esc, ctrl+esc, i deleted and re downloaded the game, and deleting files. NOTHING has worked for me so far nothing at all, theirs so many forums about glitches and such . To be honest they may as well have made this another "Jurrasic Park" game because just like this its barely playable just in different was, T.W.D with its glitches, JP with its very bad touch screen and over all controls and boring game play.

If Telltale could help me and others with these glitches it would bring great satisfaction to me and others. And if WTD was fixed it would be like one of the greatest games of all time, no joke

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_(pc|mac).zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • edited March 2013
    Im haveing the same issue now . Before it wouldn't save my choices so I gave up on the game and some peeps from work said there was a patch so I gave it another try and got to the start of #2 and it came up with this black screen except for a axe on the side of screen, some music and a arrow I can move around the screen no esc or anything. Please fix this.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Kargin wrote: »
    Im haveing the same issue now . Before it wouldn't save my choices so I gave up on the game and some peeps from work said there was a patch so I gave it another try and got to the start of #2 and it came up with this black screen except for a axe on the side of screen, some music and a arrow I can move around the screen no esc or anything. Please fix this.

Please attach the support tool results as described above.

Further, if you .zip and upload your prefs.prop and *.save files i can take a look at them. Please upload them to an instant filehoster and post the download link.
  • edited March 2013
    Same thing's been going on with me (since 3 came out). I've asked for help around here quite a few times and got no real help for the problem.

So here's my .zip file with the problem
    http://wikisend.com/download/583506/support_data_pc.zip
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Same thing's been going on with me (since 3 came out). I've asked for help around here quite a few times and got no real help for the problem.

You do have two different prefs.prop files, which can cause that problem:
    C:\Users\Raian\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    05/03/2013 07:54 PM 43,509 prefs.prop

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102
    05/03/2013 07:55 PM 23,746 prefs.prop

I suggest you rename the one in the steam folder to prefs.prop.bak and try starting your game.
  • edited March 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    You do have two different prefs.prop files, which can cause that problem:

I suggest you rename the one in the steam folder to prefs.prop.bak and try starting your game.

Thanks I'll try that. Should I start a brand new save and try episode 2 or do I need to start at episode 1?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Thanks I'll try that. Should I start a brand new save and try episode 2 or do I need to start at episode 1?

You should be able to continue from your savegames.
  • edited March 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    You should be able to continue from your savegames.

Thank you it finally works now!
    Only took 6+ months before a proper reply that actually helped solve the problem.
  • edited March 2013
    DjNDB,

I am having the same issue. I was hoping you could take a look at my data as well to help with a fix. I saw another post in which you were helping someone else with this issue, asking them to rename one prefs.prop.bak. I tried this but it didn't work for me, though my files were not located in exactly the same place.

To let you know, I originally played through ep.1 then started ep.2, which worked. The system did not let me carry over my information, so I deleted my save files and tried again about 3 months later (now). This time though, I got that black screen with an axe. Very ood.

Anyway, I really appreciate it you could help me. It's frustrating.

Thank you!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    stevied130 wrote: »
    I am having the same issue. I was hoping you could take a look at my data as well to help with a fix.
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 17:26 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 17:23 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

You do have 2 prefs.prop files and i think we should try keeping the bigger one.

Please run this script to fix it. It creates backup copies of both prefs.prop files, and moves the Steam prefs.prop to the savegame folder.
  • edited March 2013
    That worked! Thanks so much! Crazy.
  • edited March 2013
    So while your fix worked and let me resume play, I've run into another issue but not one that stops me from enjoying the game.

Once I started into episode 2, everything worked smoothly. I did not play through the entire episode but quit and took a break in the middle. When I went back to play again, the load screen said I was still on episode 1 from an earlier date. I decided to see what happened when I loaded the game up and even though there were no chapters to rewind to, the game did take me back to my last saved place in the middle of episode 2.

What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas how I can fix this? I moved the files like you suggested, so I did not change anything. I only played through about half of episode 2.

Thanks again!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas how I can fix this?

I am not sure what causes it. It is possible that the extra prefs.prop came back. If you run the support tool again i can check for that.
  • edited March 2013
    looks like even more:

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 26K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 17:14 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.bak
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Most are backup copies from the earlier workaround though.
    Only those which are named pref.prop without any extras are actually used by the game, so there's two active ones again. The other ones can be manually deleted if not needed as a backup anymore, but they won't do harm.

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 26K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

This time the file in the steam folder is smaller, so i would try keeping the other one.

Please try running this script. I adapted it so it renames the steam prefs.prop in order to inactivate it.
  • edited March 2013
    I am on MACOSX- 10.6.8 and I have a similar problem, only, all my choices are intact, I can even see the "previously on the walking dead" cut-scene. Once it is done though, I get a loading screen followed by THE black screen with the sound of some walkers and ambience in the background.. I kept the game running for almost 10 mins before I "Command+Q"ed it. Tried restarting and even changing/renaming the "prefs.prop" file etc, lost my preferences and choices and then eventually the same black screen with the walker sounds in the background. Please help me FIX this.

Thank you.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    vypers wrote: »
    I am on MACOSX- 10.6.8 and I have a similar problem, only, all my choices are intact, I can even see the "previously on the walking dead" cut-scene.

Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    vypers wrote: »

You installation files look weird.
    Where did you buy the game?
  • edited March 2013
    At Landmark store in India. Bought it a while back, didnt play it as I wanted to watch the "TV show first". Even though they're not related.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I don't know what version the store sells. Can you please upload images of the DVD's front, and of the front and back of the DVD case?
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks so much!
  • edited March 2013
    Hello again,

Sorry to continually bother you but I've had another issue after you last fix. I played halfway through episode 3 and had to quit. the game tells me I am still on episode 2 instead of showing my progress through three. Is there anyway for me to prevent this in the future so that I don't have to keep bothering you every time this happens? Regardless, I appreciate your help very much.

File also says there are 33 saves.

prefs.prop Locations:

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 33K Mar 30 18:30 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 23 22:02 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 39K Mar 30 18:28 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 17:14 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.bak
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 33K Mar 30 18:30 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 39K Mar 30 18:28 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

Sadly i don't know how to prevent it from happening, but you are welcome to ask me as often as needed.

You can run this script again, to deactivate the steam prefs.prop.
  • edited March 2013
    Can I run this same script every time this problem occurs or are you tailoring them to where I'm at specifically in the game?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Can I run this same script every time this problem occurs or are you tailoring them to where I'm at specifically in the game?

I choose the script based on the size and date of the prefs.prop files, keeping the biggest and latest.

- This script keeps the one that is in the savegame folder, and deactivates the one in the steam folder
    - This script moves the steam folder prefs.prop to the savegame folder

So far that's all we needed, but some people get prefs.prop files in different subfolders for the individual episodes, which would need a different script or manual action.
  • edited June 2013
    Dear DjNDB,

I went to run the script as described here,
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44150

This is my package, do help me with it, i'm stuck at chapter 1 where the player is taken to the farm.

Regards,
    Jim
  • edited June 2013
    Dear DjNDB,

I am stuck in Chapter 1, where I am suppose to be introduce to the farm where I experience the black screen.

I followed your instruction over here,
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44150

and got the following result.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/78r04un3qraicvh/support_data_pc.zip

Do help me wiith it! >_>

Regards,
    Jim
  • edited June 2013
    Hello, I have the exact same problem with the black screen and axe in the beginning of the second episode...
    support_data_pc.zip
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Kibou wrote: »
    Hello, I have the exact same problem with the black screen and axe in the beginning of the second episode...
    support_data_pc.zip

please rename the prefs.prop in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak

then move the prefs.prop from
    c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited June 2013
    I'm having trouble loading my save onto episode 2

support_data_pc.zip
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Dahthla wrote: »
    I'm having trouble loading my save onto episode 2

support_data_pc.zip

I don't see anything unusual in your data. You seem to have played through it before, did you have any problems then?

If you .zip and upload your prefs.prop and *.save files i can take a look at them.
    Please upload it as a single .zip file to an instant filehoster and post the download link.
  • edited June 2013
    [URL=http://wikisend.com/download/951788/saves and prefprop.zip]saves and prefprop.zip[/URL]

There's also a prefs.prop file in H:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Dahthla wrote: »
    There's also a prefs.prop file in H:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

That wasn't there earlier when you ran the support tool.

I checked your savegames and only found two Episode 1 slots, but a lot of unused .save files from an earlier playthrough.

You can try if you get a better result, by renaming the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Micah\Documents\Telltale Games\the walking dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

and moving the prefs.prop from
    H:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to

I think though the safest route would be starting over, by deleting the prefs.prop from
    H:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

and deleting the entire savegame folder
  • edited June 2013
    Hey there. I have the same problem with the TS... Can you please take a look at it? The support tool file is attached.

Also, one other thing: I finished the game before without issues and encountered the black screen problem on my 2nd playthrough. I tried to mess with the prefs.prop files before but I didn't know what I was doing and now I lost the save data of my finished game. For some reason I ended up with an old save from when I finished the 2nd episode. I guess I don't really need the old save for the completed game but it'd be nice to have it back if possible.

Thanks beforehand.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    mondrosen wrote: »
    Hey there. I have the same problem with the TS... Can you please take a look at it? The support tool file is attached.

Also, one other thing: I finished the game before without issues and encountered the black screen problem on my 2nd playthrough. I tried to mess with the prefs.prop files before but I didn't know what I was doing and now I lost the save data of my finished game. For some reason I ended up with an old save from when I finished the 2nd episode. I guess I don't really need the old save for the completed game but it'd be nice to have it back if possible.

Thanks beforehand.

This might be a bit difficult since you already changed prefs.prop files and i can't know which one is which. It's best if we try stuff step by step.

I suggest you start with renaming the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it. Then let me know the result.
  • edited June 2013
    That seems to fix the problem now. I'm not that worried about the old completed game save, so don't worry about it. Thanks for the help!
  • edited July 2013
    Hi.

I've had the same black screen in episode 2 problem like most of the users in the thread; except that I only have one prefs.prop file in my ...\Documents\Telltale Games\the walking dead folder

I've run the support tool and attached the .zip below
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    inglebi wrote: »
    Hi.

I've had the same black screen in episode 2 problem like most of the users in the thread; except that I only have one prefs.prop file in my ...\Documents\Telltale Games\the walking dead folder

I've run the support tool and attached the .zip below

If you get the black screen while starting/continuing an episode, that's often caused by broken save files. You cant try rewinding to the previous chapter, until you find one that works.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi, I've got the same issue as most people here. I try to boot the second episode after having finished the first one, but all I ever get is a black screen and a pointer I can move around, and that's it. In the past I was able to finish the game from start to finish, but on my second playthrough now, I'm not that lucky for whatever reason.

Here's my zip file.
This discussion has been closed.