• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    KeeperBvK wrote: »
    Here's my zip file.

Please try renaming the prefs.prop in
    C:\Burki\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks, it worked. However, my save file was lost in the process, so I'd still be all open for a true bugfix to be released.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    KeeperBvK wrote: »
    Thanks, it worked. However, my save file was lost in the process, so I'd still be all open for a true bugfix to be released.

In that case I would try renaming the pref.prop in
    C:\Users\Burki\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.orig

Moving the prefs.prop.bak you now have in
    C:\Burki\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\Burki\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    and renaming it back to prefs.prop

So basically disabling the prefs.prop in the savegame folder and replacing it with the one in the steam\...\default folder.

That might bring the savegame back
  • edited July 2013
    Hi im having the same issue on the second episode i have already played thru the game and started another saved game and made it thru episode 1 but when starting episode 2 it goes to a black screen with a axe on the left side..
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    shortstuff wrote: »
    Hi im having the same issue on the second episode i have already played thru the game and started another saved game and made it thru episode 1 but when starting episode 2 it goes to a black screen with a axe on the left side..

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks fixed the issue..
  • edited July 2013
    I'm on a mac and I just started having the same problem. My first time playing I noticed that Doug was still alive when I originally chose Carly. I restarted the episode and now get the black screen with axe and music, and the ability to move my cursor but can't do anything else. heres my files.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Mups wrote: »
    I'm on a mac and I just started having the same problem. My first time playing I noticed that Doug was still alive when I originally chose Carly. I restarted the episode and now get the black screen with axe and music, and the ability to move my cursor but can't do anything else. heres my files.
    /Users/kengq/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    /Users/kengq/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

You have 2 active prefs.prop files.

Please run this script to fix it. It creates backup copies of both prefs.prop files, and moves the Steam prefs.prop to the savegame folder.
  • edited July 2013
    Worked fantastically thank you!
  • edited July 2013
    Im having the same issue, I can only play episode one but if I try a different episode the screen just stays black and asks me if I want to rewind even though Im starting a new episode

heres my zip file
    http://wikisend.com/download/301704/support_data_pc.zip

Ive been trying to get assistance from email but I rarely get a response or any kind of help.
    my ticket ID is #6763
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Im having the same issue, I can only play episode one but if I try a different episode the screen just stays black and asks me if I want to rewind even though Im starting a new episode

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Ryan Tatum\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\Ryan Tatum\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited July 2013
    I have got the same problem. I tried renaming one of the files but now I lost my previous profile and the one I was trying to solve. Can you please help me fix this issue, I mean, to get back my previous save files and be able to progress in my new game?

http://wikisend.com/download/151948/support_data_pc.zip
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Fadjaros wrote: »
    I have got the same problem. I tried renaming one of the files but now I lost my previous profile and the one I was trying to solve. Can you please help me fix this issue, I mean, to get back my previous save files and be able to progress in my new game?

Please revert what you did before to get your savegames back.

Then rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102
  • edited July 2013
    Don't know what prompted it, but now it does the black screen with the walkers sound when trying to load a saved game in episode 4, and another saved game on episode 3 starting ep 4 (BOTH saves are important because one belongs to me, the other to someone else). I checked my files, and it doesn't say that episode 1 is installed, though I don't know how that got deleted. What do I do from here? I haven't tried re-installing the game because my internet connection is pretty slow at times. I just did a "backup game files" from within Steam and put it on my desktop before running the support tool, I wasn't sure if that'd be important to do or not.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    -rw-r--r-- 1 DianaDuran staff 56K Jul 28 17:30 /Users/DianaDuran/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/prefs.prop

You have a second active prefs.prop file which interferes with Episode 4.
    Please try running the attached script to fix it.
    It will rename the prefs.prop to deactivate it.
  • edited July 2013
    Having the exact same problem. I'm worried because my saves are pretty screwed up too. My first episode never saved so I did about half of the second one with generated decisions, but then I went back and redid the first. I rewinded the second episode to the beginning and got stuck with this.

Here is my pc support file: http://wikisend.com/download/256500/support_data_pc.zip
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Having the exact same problem. I'm worried because my saves are pretty screwed up too. My first episode never saved so I did about half of the second one with generated decisions, but then I went back and redid the first. I rewinded the second episode to the beginning and got stuck with this.

Not sure if it will bring the expected result,
    but please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Kenna's\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak

and then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\Kenna's\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited July 2013
    I have a similar problem. Once I start episode 2 I get a mostly black screen with some moving bushes and red polygons... plus the sound of walkers.
    Accessing the Game Menu by pressing Esc makes the screen go black entirely.

support_data_mac.zip
  • edited July 2013
    Having the same issue as everyone, but just thought I should post the .zip I got from the support tool just in case I have an odd situation or something as some of the changes I've done in this topic have not worked. Thanks so much for the help in advance!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    ianinsane wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. Once I start episode 2 I get a mostly black screen with some moving bushes and red polygons... plus the sound of walkers.
    Accessing the Game Menu by pressing Esc makes the screen go black entirely.

support_data_mac.zip

Is this also if you start episode 2 in a new save slot with random choices?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    ChrisDM wrote: »
    Having the same issue as everyone, but just thought I should post the .zip I got from the support tool just in case I have an odd situation or something as some of the changes I've done in this topic have not worked. Thanks so much for the help in advance!

Please try rewinding chapter by chapter until one works.
  • edited August 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Please try rewinding chapter by chapter until one works.

So I should basically try deleting my save and redoing Chapter 1?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    So I should basically try deleting my save and redoing Chapter 1?

No, i was talking about the different chapters of Episode 1. One of them might still work and keep your progress so far.

Alternatively you can also try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).
  • edited August 2013
    No, i was talking about the different chapters of Episode 1. One of them might still work and keep your progress so far.

Alternatively you can also try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).

Hmm. Well as of this posting, I have uninstalled The Walking Dead last night. I am going to start installing it via Steam right now and I'm assuming Steam does something with cloud saves so should I still try this advice or do something different?

Also, to be more specific (sorry, I was a bit out of it when writing that post last night!), it is Episode 2 that is giving me this black screen issue. Haven't tried booting up other Episodes though so as to not spoil story.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Steam cloud is enabled by default, so you should still have your savegames that way if you haven't disabled it.
    I am not sure if they are even deleted if you uninstall the game via steam.
  • edited August 2013
    Steam cloud is enabled by default, so you should still have your savegames that way if you haven't disabled it.
    I am not sure if they are even deleted if you uninstall the game via steam.

I actually went in and deleted any folders associated with it and am doing a fresh install just to see what happens. Should I repost my support tool information if it continues not to work?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I actually went in and deleted any folders associated with it and am doing a fresh install just to see what happens. Should I repost my support tool information if it continues not to work?

Only if neither of the methods i mentioned above (rewinding, previous version) works.
  • edited August 2013
    Is this also if you start episode 2 in a new save slot with random choices?

Yes, the exact same thing happens.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    ianinsane wrote: »
    Yes, the exact same thing happens.

Please try verifying the game cache files.
  • edited August 2013

That did work! Thank you!
  • edited August 2013
    Hi, I have reinstalled TWD on the fresh PC, steam restored save files from cloud, and when I am trying to continue my game at second episode the only black screen and white axe there.

There only one pref.prop in \Documents\telltale games\the walking dead. Deleting it not solve the problem.

Attachment not found.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    kryksyh wrote: »
    Hi, I have reinstalled TWD on the fresh PC, steam restored save files from cloud, and when I am trying to continue my game at second episode the only black screen and white axe there.

Please try verifying the game cache files.

Does it also happen if you start episode 2 in a new save slot with random choices?
  • edited August 2013
    > Please try verifying the game cache files.
    It does not help but copying prefs.prop from user directory to \SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102 does.

But the episode starts from the beginning while I stopped somewhere in the middle of it when play last time. Is it caused by bad cloud sync or strange working autosave function?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    > Please try verifying the game cache files.
    It does not help but copying prefs.prop from user directory to \SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102 does.

If you do that you might get problems with your decisions not carrying over to episode 3. It's better if you delete it.
    I don't know what broke it, there are multiple possibilities.

Have you tried playing through the last chapter of Episode 1 again?
  • edited August 2013
    > If you do that you might get problems with your decisions not carrying over to episode
    well, if I dont do that I have a white axe problem if I start from save. New game with random choices starts fine.
    So what should I do, is there any chance I get my savegame back?

> Have you tried playing through the last chapter of Episode 1 again?
    nope.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    > Have you tried playing through the last chapter of Episode 1 again?
    nope.

I have a theory. Do you still have access to the PC you played on originally?

It is possible that it has a prefs.prop in some other location (where it should not be). The steam cloud only saves the prefs.prop from the savegame folder.
    If that's the case, you would need to copy the prefs.prop from the other location of the old PC, to the savegame folder of the new PC.

If you can't access the old PC anymore, then rewinding to the end of Episode 1 is the best way to recover at least some of your progress.
  • edited August 2013
    > Do you still have access to the PC you played on originally?
    Yep.. kind of. I'll try that later, thank you for such a fast replies!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    In that case it's best if you run the support tool on the old PC. Then I can check the situation.
    Also try if you can still load the savegame on the old PC, or if it's broken there too.

Make sure you disable the Steam cloud for TWD on the old PC before starting steam or the game (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").
    Otherwise it might overwrite your only working savegame.
  • edited August 2013
    Well saves on the old PC are okay. I copied them to the new PC and everything works fine.
    It seems that saves got broken somehow in the steamcloud.
  • edited September 2013

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the initial poster. I followed the instructions DjNDB posted and here's my .zip file.
    [URL=http://wikisend.com/download/747818/support_data_pc.zip]support_data_pc.zip[/URL]
    http://wikisend.com/download/747818/support_data_pc.zip

Thank you! I'm dying to play it.

edit: and I'm using Steam to play it on a PC.

This discussion has been closed.