My Guide To Running Sam & Max On Linux

2»

Comments

• edited May 2008
    For the "ice station santa" problem, could the steam version be the solution?
    Do anybody know if the splash screen is present on the steam version?
    (I didnt find a demo version on steam)
  • edited May 2008
    The Splash Screen is the activation system, so no, the Steam versions don't use the launcher. Then again, does Steam even work in Ubuntu, even with WINE :confused:
  • edited May 2008
    Steam works nearly perfectly in Wine and so do all of the Source engine games. :)
  • edited July 2008
    HI.
    this is what i get when I play season one in linux:
    schermataae6.th.png
    what can I do? :confused:
  • edited July 2008
    Whoa! That's cool - invisible walls!
  • edited July 2008
    After some playing around, I managed to get all the Sam and Max games going on my Ubuntu AMD64 machine. I discovered that when launching the game itself, you need to set:
    WINEDLLOVERRIDES="rpcrt4,ole32,d3d8,d3d9=b"

in the environment when calling Wine, at least with recent versions - otherwise Wine will load the wrong DLLs (thanks, IE) and puke all over itself. For example, when launching Episode 101, I do this:
    WINEDLLOVERRIDES="rpcrt4,ole32,d3d8,d3d9=b" setarch i686 wine explorer /desktop=SamMax,800x600 ./SamMax101.exe

setarch may or may not be needed, but I'm being extra careful. Once I get past the initial splash screen, it runs just fine (and much smoother in its little virtual desktop window).
  • edited July 2008
    And of course, Telltale's other games (at least thus far) seem to function equally well under Wine, aside from the splash screen rendering problems. (mumble mumble IE)
  • edited July 2008
    Has anyone figured out a way of running 201 - Ice Station Santa - in wine yet? This is really bugging me a lot. I just finished playing Season 1 and can't wait to get into Season 2.

And as far as I've gathered, the rest of Season 2 works like a charm in wine... but starting on Episode 2 just is not an option in my mind.
  • edited July 2008
    HellMoose wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out a way of running 201 - Ice Station Santa - in wine yet? This is really bugging me a lot. I just finished playing Season 1 and can't wait to get into Season 2.

And as far as I've gathered, the rest of Season 2 works like a charm in wine... but starting on Episode 2 just is not an option in my mind.

It ran just fine for me, as well as the rest of season 2 (just finished the last one, in fact). What makes you say it doesn't work? Just make sure you have the latest installer, and it should work.
  • edited October 2008
    Well I finally found time to have a go at season 2 today. With ies4linux, I get an "automation server can't create object" error (which comes from IE) and can't get past the "please wait" screen, but with Gecko, I can pop in my serial, restart when it crashes and then I'm good to go.

Except for Ice Station Santa that is (which is odd, because I know I had the demo running earlier this year). Demonfoo, when you say "latest installer", do you mean the normal installer from the "My Games" section or something you've found elsewhere?
  • edited October 2008
    Cheeseness wrote: »
    Except for Ice Station Santa that is (which is odd, because I know I had the demo running earlier this year). Demonfoo, when you say "latest installer", do you mean the normal installer from the "My Games" section or something you've found elsewhere?

Yes, the normal installer. I jus mean that if you have an older download of the installer, you should get the latest one. Telltale updates them periodically with the latest builds.
  • edited October 2008
    demonfoo wrote: »
    Yes, the normal installer. I jus mean that if you have an older download of the installer, you should get the latest one. Telltale updates them periodically with the latest builds.

Ah. I downloaded Episodes 1 and 2 last night and can't seem to get Ice Station Santa to launch properly. Is there anything special in your configuration that you think HellMoose and myself might have missed?
  • edited October 2008
    201 has an older version of the launcher, which is probably why you're only running into problems with that one. We're hoping to bring that one up to date with 202-205 at some point, but no promises, alas :(
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    I had a solution to this problem for 201, but the thread with the solution was apparently removed from this forum without sending me a PM with a reason.
    Telltale does not appear to be very interested in this at all. Extremely disappointing
  • edited October 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    We're hoping
    As long as we've got hope, we'll survive :)

TMM, if you have a workaround, I think we'd all be grateful if you'd share again (providing it's not "go find a crack" or anything that obviously questionable).
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    the fix I described did not involve a crack, but I am waiting for an explanation by some the forum admin who removed my post as to what was wrong with it so I can repost it with whatever was the problem removed.

I am not sure if what I did was 'questionable' but it did involve editing a file that comes with the game. Personally I don't think this should be a problem for games you bought. (This change also did not remove any of the DRM)
  • edited October 2008
    It also required, in your words, that people "find alternative ways of authenticating your copy of the game". What does that sound like to you?
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    authenticate on a windows box, copy the file over. Run with ies4linux to do the auth, then edit the gamefile to allow the 3d part to run on wine.

Whatever, 'alternative' I just figured people could come up with other ways as well. The alternative is for us to not play (or buy) the game at all. Telltale's call I suppose
  • edited October 2008
    TMM wrote: »
    Whatever, 'alternative' I just figured people could come up with other ways as well. The alternative is for us to not play (or buy) the game at all. Telltale's call I suppose

Well, strictly speaking, Telltale is in the right - they never claimed to support Linux in any way, so discussing methods of... questionable legitimacy is something they're entitled to not allow. No need to get all huffy. The fact that it works on Linux (and I've played every single Sam & Max and SBCG4AP episode to date - they've all played through 100%) is good for us, but don't whine and bitch at the Telltale people because they're not supporting you the way you want. In short - be nice(r).
  • edited October 2008
    TMM wrote: »
    Telltale's call I suppose

I think that there's a plan (at some stage) to update the launcher to something that does work for us is a bit of encouragement.

I think that a positive attitude about it all is much more likely to make our chosen operating system a potential target platform than a negative one. I'm wholly disgruntled that Linux isn't a priority, but if you look through the forums, you can see that even though it's not supported, there's people at TellTale who are excited that we've been able to get it running. Little steps.
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    Maybe I did come off a bit more hostile than I intended, I am just a tad miffed that there is apparently no 'legal' way for me to play this game. I do not own a windows license, so installing IE would violate someone else's copyright.

Modifying the game executable and/or data for my own purposes after I bought the game is legal in my jurisdiction. All I was trying to do is share my solution with the other Linux players here.

While I fully understand that Telltale is wary of piracy, the way this is being handled is preventing people who legally own the game from playing it in a legal manner.

I would like to apologize to tabacco for being hostile towards him.
  • edited October 2008
    The problem isn't the copyright protection as such, I did try a *cough* alternative executable and it made no difference at all, I still couldn't find a way to launch the game. The other episodes in 202-205 work fine out of the box so I would bet that the only thing missing is that the launcher UI doesn't render right.
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    The point is that my 'fix' wouldn't allow regular ways of authenticating the game. It will allow you to launch (and play) an already authenticated version.
  • edited October 2008
    With the potential for the launcher to be upgraded, I guess the best thing for us to do is look towards that.

tabacco, is there any way that you feel that we, as paying TellTale customers, can encourage the upgrading of the Ice Station Santa launcher?
  • edited October 2008
    What, like there's a chance we don't want to fix something? :)

It all comes down to time. If you could make some more of that, that might help.
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    TellTale already fixed this issue... in 2007! See this [thread=3995]this[/thread] thread. It boils down to installing the fix at http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/samandmax/201/patches/20071129_SamMax201_patch_1003.exe

Then it will all just work, it's so simple, really :)

I can't believe I didn't find this earlier, or anyone else... for that matter :P

EDIT:

This does make the current 'Running the games on Linux howto' that started this thread a bit too complicated than needed. Would anyone like me to start a new thread with current instructions? A lot less magic is required now
  • edited October 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    What, like there's a chance we don't want to fix something? :)

Well it doesn't seem to have much of an impact on your target platforms, so it's understandable if updating the launcher is not much of a priority.I was sort of asking if there was another angle we could come at from that didn't involve wearing the Rabid Linux User Hat.

I can't make more time, but I do have man-hours up for grabs when I'm in North America next month. ;)

Great stuff, TMM! It doesn't work with Gecko, but with ies4linux (which I thought you said you wouldn't use :b ), I was able to authenticate with my serial number (TellTale login gives that "automation server can't create object" error). It'd still be nice to see it with the same launcher as the rest of the season someday though, since it more or less runs 'out of the box' like that.
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    It doesn't work for you? For me it works with gecko just fine... what version of wine are you using?
  • edited October 2008
    It works with gecko for me if it is *ahem* already authenticated, but to enter my serial number, I needed IE (the issue was that there was no 'unlock' link visible and pressing enter didn't work). I'm not 100% sure what wine version I'm using, but I'm fairly certain it's 1.1+ (I'll check later).
  • TMMTMM
    edited October 2008
    I used a freshly downloaded copy of episode 201, unauthenticated. I just got the same form I get with 202+ (no layout or anything)
    You should try with a completely fresh install of 201. It really should work just fine with gecko. IE is really not required.
  • edited October 2008
    If it works, then sweet!

Cassidy, if you're out there, any chance we can get the howto updated?
  • edited December 2008
    I tried the patch with a fresh installation of both WINE and episode 201; now I get something similar to the Windows launcher, but none of the buttons are clickable (nor did hitting the enter key work).
  • edited December 2008
    How can I determine max ram for motherboard on Linux?
    Old desktop here, no actual spec for this old motherboard anymore (it's a Tiny Computer, but nowhere on the machine is model name, etc).Wondering if Linux can tell me. Maybe there's a command to display certain hardware information like RAM and max allowed.
  • edited January 2009
    Okay, using the latest version of WINE (1.1.13) and the patch I finally got the bare no-layout form I got used to in season one, but when I enter my serial number and click "Submit Query" it just refreshes the form. Restarting the game after trying to authenticate didn't help. This is frustrating.
  • edited January 2009
    So from what I'm gathering...I should update my guide?
  • edited February 2009
    Cassidy wrote: »
    So from what I'm gathering...I should update my guide?

Might want to suggest a newer version of Wine, at least. 1.1.15 is the latest, and I noticed that 1.1.13 and up fix the launcher buttons - so you can now see the "Launch Game!" button, instead of having to guess where it is. :) When you're using IE as the embedded browser, that is...
  • edited March 2009
    Doesn't seem to work for me. Latest Ubuntu, latest Wine (1.1.16) and I installed IE6 through winetricks. The activation window pops up, IE6 annoys me about launching an ActiveX (which I 'accept'), and then the whole thing is stuck at "Logging you in...".

I clicked on "take me to the demo", saw a "you are not online" window thingy in the launcher and I didn't see any buttons. Clicking randomly launched the game in demo mode, but the screen was completely black.

This is Telltale Texas Hold'em I was running, by the way. I doubt that my little Eee PC can run the heavier games like Sam & Max, especially when I have to rely on Wine for this...
  • edited July 2009
    Great Job!
  • edited August 2009
    I have this same issue. Instead I just have to use the down loadable versions. By the way thanks for all the tips provided. thanks
This discussion has been closed.