Poor Sam

Everywhere on the Internet, I've read many disparaging comments about Sam. I often read stuff like, "Max is the funnier one," "Sam is boring! Why him?" and "Sam is too much of a straight man."

I seem to be late to the party, but since when was Sam considered lame? I always firmly believed that you can't have Sam & Max without, well, Sam & Max. They're both funny in different ways; to say "Sam is the unfunny one" is, to me, a load of hogwash. Believe it or not, I prefer Sam a little more than Max.

Am I the only freak who thinks this?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    The game needs a straight-man to counteract the three other more insane ones. Tycho was the straight-man last time, so this follows suit.
  • edited April 2013
    I agree. And what cooler straight-man than a six foot dog in a suit?
  • edited April 2013
    Not to mention he'll get a Monkey Suit with the right upgrades
  • edited April 2013
    Who's saying that? I'ma fight them.

Sam is probably my favorite straight-man ever. He breaks the stereotype of being the long-suffering, sarcastic, jerkish dude who just rolls his eyes at his comic foil and makes scathing remarks. Sam just rolls with anything. He's cool with whatever.
  • edited April 2013
    Exactly. Sam is awesome. I love Max, but Sam is just as important. I've read these comments in places like Kotaku, Polygon, uh... I think IGN. I think GameFAQs, too. All over. Not unanimously, but enough to make me go, "Dude, give Sam credit. :c"
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    Exactly. Sam is awesome. I love Max, but Sam is just as important. I've read these comments in places like Kotaku, Polygon, uh... I think IGN. I think GameFAQs, too. All over. Not unanimously, but enough to make me go, "Dude, give Sam credit. :c"

See, that's your mistake, you went to places like IGN and Kotaku!

Anyway, Sam & Max are a duo, when either of them goes solo, there's always something missing.
  • edited April 2013
    What a lot of people don't seem to get is that Sam is insane. Not so much as Max, but he's just as crazy, fun-loving, and violent. Max is more child-like and cute, but Sam's awesome in his own way and for his own reasons.

Personally I love Sam more than Max, but Max is easier to draw. And I love it when they're together, their banter, and how they provide each other with punchlines.
  • edited April 2013
    crfh wrote: »
    What a lot of people don't seem to get is that Sam is insane. Not so much as Max, but he's just as crazy, fun-loving, and violent. Max is more child-like and cute, but Sam's awesome in his own way and for his own reasons.

Personally I love Sam more than Max, but Max is easier to draw. And I love it when they're together, their banter, and how they provide each other with punchlines.

This exactly. Sam has the even temperament of a straight-man, but as it turns out, his impassive nature coupled with his pretty much blatant disregard for most people makes him arguably even more unpredictable than Max. You mostly just expect Max to be dangerous, but Sam is the kind of guy who will have several friendly chats with you, seem like a nice, stable person, then turn around and casually screw you over or even kill you because it benefited him in some way. Or because he felt like it. All without ever breaking that blitheness.

I have no clue how people don't think that's an awesome personality to have at a poker table.
  • edited April 2013
    Interesting thing, About a year or two ago I posted a thread in the S&M part of the fourms called Sam Vs Max who do u think is better? And I think Sam has the most votes right now but I'm not sure, you can check it out if you want :)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    Sam doesn't do too badly. Thankfully there was never an equivalent thread for Max.
  • edited April 2013
    Did someone say "Noir Max"?

eatyourfaceoff.jpg
  • edited April 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Sam doesn't do too badly. Thankfully there was never an equivalent thread for Max.

Shhh...it's a fangirl thread! Just play dead and it can't hurt you :p
  • edited April 2013
    crfh wrote: »
    Did someone say "Noir Max"?

eatyourfaceoff.jpg

I can just imagine Max putting on a Batman impersonation while beating the tar out of the mole.
  • edited April 2013
    These replies make me happy. Thanks for that link, Puzzlebox!

Yeah, IGN and Kotaku suck, but I can't help myself when looking around for news. Guess I should just shun the comments. :P
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    These replies make me happy. Thanks for that link, Puzzlebox!

Yeah, IGN and Kotaku suck, but I can't help myself when looking around for news. Guess I should just shun the comments. :P

RPS, mate. RPS.
  • edited April 2013
    I'd argue that Sam is far more unhinged than Max. If Steve Purcell came out tomorrow and said that Max was always a figment of Sam's imagination ala Hobbes I wouldn't be surprised.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I'd argue that Sam is far more unhinged than Max. If Steve Purcell came out tomorrow and said that Max was always a figment of Sam's imagination ala Hobbes I wouldn't be surprised.
    Or Sam & Max are both just figments of Flint Paper's imagination.
  • edited April 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Or Sam & Max are both just figments of Flint Paper's imagination.

Or Flint Paper is both Sam's and Max's imagination of the ideal detective they would like to be. ;)
  • edited April 2013
    Clord wrote: »
    Or Flint Paper is both Sam's and Max's imagination of the ideal detective they would like to be. ;)

They're all visions in an autistic child's head while he stares longingly at a photo of a dog.
  • edited April 2013
    And the autistic child is Superball's imaginary friend.
  • edited April 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    And the autistic child is Superball's imaginary friend.

But, as it all turns out, Bosco was actually imagining it all while he was in a coma in Las Vegas.
  • edited April 2013
    This thread...it's getting too close to the truth.

*activates Superball sunglasses*
  • edited April 2013
    I don't get the joke about Superball's codename. That one Max pointed out in the episode 104 (how he gets it.)
  • edited April 2013
    Albeit i pretty much never laughed at whatever Sam said in Season 1, i felt like Telltale started to give him quite a bit of love during Season 2 and 3 by giving him tons of pretty funny jokes, so i dunno why people are saying that Sam's not as funny. :/
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Clord wrote: »
    I don't get the joke about Superball's codename. That one Max pointed out in the episode 104 (how he gets it.)
    He's a bouncer. :)
  • edited April 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    He's a bouncer. :)

Now I get it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.