Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Probably a scheduling conflict.

Or his contract expired.
  • edited April 2013
    Really? It sure SOUNDS a lot like him. Maybe he's using a different name this time?
  • edited April 2013
    It sounds like he was a bit more drunk so I thought that was just what the idea was, no clue it was someone new.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm curious as to why as well. I noticed that Max sounded slightly deeper in the intro, but eventually leveled out in the few lines I did hear of his.
  • edited April 2013
    To me, it literally sounds like a mash-up between Andrew Chaikin's Max and William Kasten's Max.

Pretty cool they were able to find a Max voice like that.
  • edited April 2013
    *slams fist*

We demand answers.

Seriously though. Staff, can we get a little insight on this? I know you're all watching. We can wait til monday.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm usually pretty good with VAs, but I didn't even notice this one until I read this thread. Now I can just barely tell there's a difference; even this Dave Boat's delivery is almost identical to Kasten's.

I do hope this is just temporary, since I've grown fond of the Nowlin/Kasten team as though they were Sam & Max themselves ): But if it is what it is, then Boat is still really good!
  • edited April 2013
    I only noticed a difference whenever he had to stretch out the pronunciation of the letter "a," other than that I thought he was indistinguishable from Katsen for the most part.

This is after coming fresh off a Sam and Max marathon, so if they had to get a new voice, I don't think they could've found a better sound-alike.
  • edited April 2013
    Wow
    I didn't even notice...
    So there have now been 3 Telltale Max's, 1 for Lucasarts and one for the Cartoon...
    This Max is pretty good though sounds just like the Max I'm used to
  • edited April 2013
    I'd like to hear clarification from someone from Telltale about this!
  • edited April 2013
    Whatever the reason, the new guy is pretty good. I didn't even notice the difference. The Ash guy isn't bad either, though you definitely notice he's not Bruce.
  • edited April 2013
    What the hell, Max has had a voice change to? Telltale really don't give a crap about Sam & Max anymore, just keep using them in small games like this to force money out of us Sam & Max fans.
  • edited April 2013
    Scnew wrote: »
    Whatever the reason, the new guy is pretty good. I didn't even notice the difference. The Ash guy isn't bad either, though you definitely notice he's not Bruce.

Yeah, Max isn't bad at all.

Although that may be because there's two different guys voicing him?

They have both David Boat credited along with William Kasten as Max. So either they're both doing dialogue at some point, or one of those is a working name?

Now, I have to disagree with you on Ash.

This "Danny Webber" guy is a poor stand-in. Not even an attempt to impersonate Bruce. Really grates on my nerves, so...happy that (so far) he's been one of the first out of the hands I've played.
  • edited April 2013
    Seriously? Maybe it was just a mistake in the credits, i didn't thought anyone could impersonate Max just as well as William.
  • edited April 2013
    Maybe it's just the same guy with two different names.
  • edited April 2013
    lattsam wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the same guy with two different names.

That's what I thought. Or, William Kasten did most of the voice, but wasn't available for retakes. Not sure if that's legal though, so I'm gonna go with the working name theory.
  • edited April 2013
    Ash735 wrote: »
    What the hell, Max has had a voice change to? Telltale really don't give a crap about Sam & Max anymore, just keep using them in small games like this to force money out of us Sam & Max fans.

Yep. They don't care at aaaallll. That is totally why they went the extra mile to get the best look a like possible and gave sam a role in this game. To get $5 out of us. CLEARRLLY that is why. :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2013
    It's kinda funny, because years ago, when Dave Boat played Paste Pot Pete/The Trapster in the Super Hero Squad Show, I actually thought he WAS Kasten until I checked the credits. It's uncanny how similar the two sound.
  • edited April 2013
    Max did sound different, but I thought it was just the actor making his voice a little more scratchy than usual. It's amazing how similar two people can sound.

I think Ash sounds fine too. I keep comparing him to Bruce's voice on Burn Notice and honestly I think Danny Webber just sounds like a younger and slightly deeper Sam Axe. For a game with some wonky casting, Telltale definitely turned out good results.
  • edited April 2013
    I did notice Max sounding a little deeper, I actually like it better that way. He sounds kind of all the Max voices fused together.
  • edited April 2013
    Zaka51 wrote: »
    I think Ash sounds fine too. I keep comparing him to Bruce's voice on Burn Notice and honestly I think Danny Webber just sounds like a younger and slightly deeper Sam Axe.
    OH!! So that's why the name sounded familiar! I get the joke now!!

Hint: Wait for the conversation about Sam's choice in weapons.
  • edited April 2013
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Yep. They don't care at aaaallll. That is totally why they went the extra mile to get the best look a like possible and gave sam a role in this game. To get $5 out of us. CLEARRLLY that is why. :rolleyes:

If they got the best LOOK a like then I really want to see a pic of the VA. :p
  • edited April 2013
    man, I just realised something.

Dave Boat is the same guy that played the antiques dealer in Monkey Island 2, special edition. And whenever I heard that guy speak, I thought "oh, must be William Kasten, sounds exactly the same as Max." I literally couldn't listen to his dialogue without a mental image of Max acting out the lines. Then when I checked the credits, and saw he was credited as "Dave Boat" I thought "Oh, great, I guess Telltale have a great second option if something ever happens to William Kasten."

Then this happens. Good job telltale. Unless "Dave Boat" is an alternate name for William Kasten, in which case it all makes sense now, you couldn't have played this one better.
  • edited April 2013
    Ash735 wrote: »

You can't honestly tell me that this is a serious post.

If anything, the changes to the characters indicate a new season more than anything else.
  • edited April 2013
    If anything, the changes to the characters indicate a new season more than anything else.

How would THAT indicate a new season?
  • edited April 2013
    Falanca wrote: »
    How would THAT indicate a new season?

If they have new models and voice actors you would expect that it would be just for a poker game...
  • edited April 2013
    Hudomonkey wrote: »
    If they have new models and voice actors you would expect that it would be just for a poker game...

Like how they made models (presumably from scratch) and/or got voice actors for Brock, Ash, and previously, Tycho?

If that's the logic we're using, updating Sam & Max's models would have been a walk in the park in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I want a S&M Season 4 just as much as everyone else around here, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.
  • edited April 2013
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    Like how they made models (presumably from scratch) and/or got voice actors for Brock, Ash, and previously, Tycho?

If that's the logic we're using, updating Sam & Max's models would have been a walk in the park in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I want a S&M Season 4 just as much as everyone else around here, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Yes but they didn't have to update their character models and could have easily used their old models...
    If nothing else they are giving a bit of love and care to Sam and Max
    Did Max or Strong Bad get new Character models for PN1?
  • edited April 2013
    Hudomonkey wrote: »
    Yes but they didn't have to update their character models and could have easily used their old models...
    If nothing else they are giving a bit of love and care to Sam and Max
    Did Max or Strong Bad get new Character models for PN1?

I'm pretty sure PN1 Max was taken straight from Season 3, and Strong Bad from his Telltale game series (which I forget the name of right now). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tycho's model was the only one that got a lot of work done on it.

And it's true enough that they didn't have to update Sam's and Max's models - though I have to wonder if Sam would have looked a tad dated next to Ash and Claptrap, it probably would've worked well enough. I'm glad they did, though. I love Sam's new model (even if I do miss Max's pink nose :c).
  • edited April 2013
    I am clutching at straws but Sam and Max season 4...
    I m going to keep being optimistic until Sam and Max is moved into classics...
  • edited May 2013
    AHA! I figured this out ages ago.

Dave Boat IS William Kasten. He's in loads of things and I could always hear Max, Jurgen etc in his voice. I guess it's just some kind of stage name he always used for Max but has dropped it here.
  • edited May 2013
    Teeth wrote: »
    AHA! I figured this out ages ago.

Dave Boat IS William Kasten. He's in loads of things and I could always hear Max, Jurgen etc in his voice. I guess it's just some kind of stage name he always used for Max but has dropped it here.
    You could be right.
    Check his "animation reel" on his website:
    http://www.daveboat.com/index1.html
    That's our Max, no doubt about it.
    Also, there's always been a strange thing about Kasten: he doesn't seem to exist before his work on Telltale's Sam & Max Seasons. Check it out:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4016867/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    Funny thing n°2: we've never seen Kasten doing voice over, but we've seen plenty of David Nowlin for Sam (videos, facebook albums of Bay Area Sound...).
  • edited May 2013
    Also, whichever game Boat is in, Kasten isn't.

And whichever game Kasten is in, Boat isn't.

Does this mean...?
  • edited May 2013
    Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...
  • edited May 2013
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...

Or at all.
  • edited May 2013
    Huh. I downloaded the PSN trial and the first words out of Max's mouth made me go 'damn, they changed the voice actor'.

Are there lines where he sounds closer?
  • edited May 2013
    I think he's genuinely spot on until he has to stretch out his vowels, then there's a really notable difference.

There's been some thought that it's actually the same guy under an alias, but it's been a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's forgotten what exact pitch he uses when he voices Max.

Sam's voice is still spot on despite the length between performances though, kind of makes me wonder if that's his normal speaking voice.
  • edited May 2013
    IMDB credits Dave Boat as a voice actor in "CSI: Deadly Intent", which wikipedia credits as one of the games Telltale put together.
  • edited May 2013
    This is conflicting.

If I wrongly assume they are different people, I'll look like an idiot by noting their similarities.

If I wrongly assume they are the same person, I'll look like an idiot by noting their differences.

Could you trouble us an official comment, Telltale?
  • edited May 2013
    I'm having beliefs that Kasten and Dave Boat are the same people. I'm looking at Kasten's imdb page, and all he's credited for is his voice acting for Sam & Max. Isn't it a little bit odd that a talented guy like him didn't get hired for anything else?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.