Four years have passed...

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    I don't think LucasArts can "uncancel" the game. They don't have the rights to release it. Those rights ran out in 2005, which is when Steve and Telltale started working together on the new games.

They don't... but do you?
    Emily wrote: »
    *shrug*

Depends on your perspective, I guess. I still think it would be weird and confusing for that game to be released at this point, so I don't really consider it a web of sorrow.

Had to ask, girlfriend, but why would it be weird and confusing to release that game during a year when Season 2 is finished, Season 1 is coming to Wii, Surfin' The Highway has been reprinted, and the animated series has been released on DVD? I mean, 2008 is the year of Sam & Max, when you think about it, and one more Sam & Max game couldn't hurt...

(Pssst... what are you doing? Don't stop while you're on a roll, people!)
  • edited April 2008
    Waitohooru wrote: »
    ..... but why would it be weird and confusing to release that game during a year when Season 2 is finished, Season 1 is coming to Wii, Surfin' The Highway has been reprinted, and the animated series has been released on DVD? I mean, 2008 is the year of Sam & Max, when you think about it, and one more Sam & Max game couldn't hurt...

(Pssst... what are you doing? Don't stop while you're on a roll, people!)

I think it would be weird and confusin for some if FLP was released because how old it is. I mean, I would imagine some ppl would think that if the game was release, it would be new and therefore would complain about how different voices and the graphics are.

For instance, Flint looks completely different in the cancelled game and if Bill Farmer provided the voice for Flint, he would sound like Al Capone (like in HTR)

There is a possibility that the TT team used jokes and other stuffs that were in the cancelled S&M in seasons 1 and 2. That could be one reason why they don't want to reveal much about the game. Maybe Bosco was a completely different person in the cancelled S&M game.

Even though the game was near completion when it was abandoned, it might now be revamped if the project is revived to update the voices, storyline and polygons.
  • edited April 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    I think it would be weird and confusin for some if FLP was released because how old it is. I mean, I would imagine some ppl would think that if the game was release, it would be new and therefore would complain about how different voices and the graphics are.

For instance, Flint looks completely different in the cancelled game and if Bill Farmer provided the voice for Flint, he would sound like Al Capone (like in HTR)

There is a possibility that the TT team used jokes and other stuffs that were in the cancelled S&M in seasons 1 and 2. That could be one reason why they don't want to reveal much about the game. Maybe Bosco was a completely different person in the cancelled S&M game.

Even though the game was near completion when it was abandoned, it might now be revamped if the project is revived to update the voices, storyline and polygons.

Well, if they revive the project (and I hope they do before the end of the year), I want it to remain the way it was meant to be and I don't want the designers to ever change a thing. No voice changes, no altered storyline, nothing. I want it to take place before the episodic series, and I want it to be released as a prequel under the moniker of "Sam and Max: Season Zero". Even if it isn't updated with the flashy new technology, that won't stop people from buying it anyway. There's an old saying like this, "without risk, there is no reward".

(You got all of that, Telltale?)
  • edited April 2008
    Well, if they revive the project (and I hope they do before the end of the year), I want it to remain the way it was meant to be and I don't want the designers to ever change a thing. No voice changes, no altered storyline, nothing. I want it to take place before the episodic series, and I want it to be released as a prequel under the moniker of "Sam and Max: Season Zero". Even if it isn't updated with the flashy new technology, that won't stop people from buying it anyway. There's an old saying like this, "without risk, there is no reward".

(You got all of that, Telltale?)

If that is a case, I would expect a lot of confused fans posting here, asking for clearity. Also, unless telltale are allowed to do so, I don't think it is up to them to leave everything as is since they would have to remove any blaten LA references once they get the permission from them to make the game.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Waitohooru wrote:
    They don't... but do you?

No.
  • edited April 2008
    so, actually no one has the full rights...hmm, that means that no one could release it even if they wanted to..
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    so, actually no one has the full rights...hmm, that means that no one could release it even if they wanted to..

That does it. I'm going to find some way to get in touch with Darrell Rodriguez if it's the last thing I do:mad:. I want him to fire the backstabbing weasels who made that game illegal for four years, and I want him to fire them ASAP. Also, I want them arrested. Oh, and I want him to uncancel the game, and allow it to be worked on again.

Yep, still vindictive!
  • edited April 2008
    i though he's the new guy..he will be probably like:"sam and what?? i heard those telltale dudes do it..."
  • edited April 2008

From what I heard, a company like Mad Brain or TT has to buy it from LA in order to release it. However, when Mad brain entertainment tried to acquire the game from LA years ago, it wasn't successful. Maybe, the former LA president didn't want to sell.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    From what I heard, a company like Mad Brain or TT has to buy it from LA in order to release it. However, when Mad brain entertainment tried to acquire the game from LA years ago, it wasn't successful. Maybe, the former LA president didn't want to sell.

Nope, it's done. End of story.
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »

Ah, that is cool. I would imagine you guys reused some of the elements and jokes from that game in your episodic game, so seeing the cancelled game released in the public would cause further confusion.

BTW, I would love to see you guys somehow integrate the evil or imposter Sam and Max concept that was in the cancelled game in a future episode. I always loved the evil versions of the hero concept.
  • edited April 2008
    Ah, that is cool. I would imagine you guys reused some of the elements and jokes from that game in your episodic game, so seeing it released in the public would cause further confusion.

BTW, I would love to see you guys somehow integrate the evil or imposter Sam and Max concept that was in the cancelled game in a future episode. I always loved the evil versions of the hero concept.
    Well, there was past Sam & Max.
    Seriously, though, I have to agree on the evil hero thing (Negaduck was probably my favorite Darkwing villain ("I see you found the breadcrumb. I knew you wouldn't notice the giant flag")), but only if it's done well, because sometimes it's just cliche (Yes, I know there's an accent, but I can't be bothered to find the shortcut for it or go hunting it out) and overdone.
  • edited April 2008
    I agree with you, TrogLlama. The accent mark over the e in cliche is not worth hunting for.

But seriously, if a doppleganger Sam & Max were to be, it would have to be done right. If it were half-assed, then it would come off as a parody of an evil clone of the heroes. And that would turn a lot of people off to the franchise.
  • edited April 2008
    negative versions of sam & max would be quite tricky, i assume. would they be good guys that do evil deeds? probably they wouldn't be do different from the originals..
    ...btw, if you need the é for cliché try wikipedia, they usually use the correct spelling including all special characters.
  • edited April 2008
    negative versions of sam & max would be quite tricky, i assume. would they be good guys that do evil deeds? probably they wouldn't be do different from the originals..
    ...btw, if you need the é for cliché try wikipedia, they usually use the correct spelling including all special characters.

They would probably be criminals who act really nice or something.
  • edited April 2008
    I assume they'd look like this:

272.jpg
  • edited April 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Well, there was past Sam & Max.
    Seriously, though, I have to agree on the evil hero thing (Negaduck was probably my favorite Darkwing villain ("I see you found the breadcrumb. I knew you wouldn't notice the giant flag")), but only if it's done well, because sometimes it's just cliche (Yes, I know there's an accent, but I can't be bothered to find the shortcut for it or go hunting it out) and overdone.

I was thinkin that TT might somehow make past Sam and Max the evil versions. I mean they were evil to the regular Sam and Max and with the use of time travel, Telltale can use Marvel comic's concept of time travel whereas, if I am not mistaken, things that are altered in the past, results in an alternate present that parallels with the normal present as oppose to a changed present.
  • edited April 2008
    From what I have read about the cancelled game, the imposter sam and ma were goin to have the cartoon voices, but since that would be expensive, the staff had the voice actors for the freelance switch in voicing the imposters.
  • edited April 2008
    Actually it was the original cast from HtR.
  • edited April 2008
    Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the forums, but have played adventure games for years now! I was just wondering how many Seasons of Sam and Max are planned? It would be really disappointing if it came to an end after What's New, Beelzebub? The episodic format has been great so far. Hopefully there's much more to come in the future. :)
  • edited April 2008
    We're not really planning a fixed number, but there will be a third season :)
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »

Maybe it'll be a different story if we all sue Lucasarts for every penny it has...
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    :eek:did i miss something? has this been officially announced already? 'cause if not and anything goes wrong the wrath of millions of sam and max fans might come upon you..not mine though, if there won't be a third season i will probably be more sad than wrathful..:D
    Maybe it'll be a different story if we all sue Lucasarts for every penny it has...
    sure, fetch your lawyer and get cracking...wait...i once heard you might need a legal reason to sue someone. can you sue a company for not selling one of their products?
  • edited April 2008
    sure, fetch your lawyer and get cracking...wait...i once heard you might need a legal reason to sue someone. can you sue a company for not selling one of their products?

Lucasarts held the code to that game hostage for four years... that is, assuming they still have the code. For all I know, they could have erased all the data without a single apology. And not only that, they threw the people who worked on that game, and the people who wanted to play that game, under the bus. Lucasarts also gave that game ZERO respect at E3 2004 (and the next 3 E3s after that). And when the rights expired in 2005, Lucasarts refused to give the data to the people who worked on it! So, yeah, we should sue Lucasarts. (NOW would be a good time.)
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not a legal expert, but I don't see how that's grounds for suing. I can't think of any other instances like this one, so I can't think of any comparisons, but as long as LucasArts don't start selling the game without having the Sam and Max licence, there's no grounds to sue.

I'd be interested to see what the game was like, but you seem to be a bit obsessive over it. With Telltale's series more than making up for the loss (counting each series as one full game, from tomorrow we'll have had 2 new Sam and Max games in the space of 2 years), there's no real need for S&M:FP outside of seeing how things could have been.
    From what I gather, Freelance Police is still LucasArts property, so even though they can't sell it themselves, anyone else trying to sell or use the code themselves would probably still be on shaky ground.
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »

That's great news! Something to really look forward to. Long may Sam and Max continue. :D Thank you very much for the information.
  • edited April 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Actually it was the original cast from HtR.

I know it was the original cast from HTR, but what I was sayin is that they originally wanted the TV show Sam and Max do the imposters, but they ended up having HTR/FLP Sam doing HTR/FLP imposter Max and HTR/FLP Max doing imposter Sam.
  • edited April 2008
    Lucasarts held the code to that game hostage for four years... that is, assuming they still have the code. For all I know, they could have erased all the data without a single apology. And not only that, they threw the people who worked on that game, and the people who wanted to play that game, under the bus. Lucasarts also gave that game ZERO respect at E3 2004 (and the next 3 E3s after that). And when the rights expired in 2005, Lucasarts refused to give the data to the people who worked on it! So, yeah, we should sue Lucasarts. (NOW would be a good time.)

I admire your tenacity in trying to get this game. If they were 80-90% done, it's terrible to have all that go to waste. If this happened now, instead of 4 years ago, I'm pretty certain that they would finish it cheaply and distribute it over the internet. Things have changed a lot in just a few years. Companies were worried about the cost of printing up boxes/discs and getting it displayed in stores. Month by month we're moving away from buying software in stores and digital distribution is going to be the only way eventually. It cuts overhead and makes companies more willing to release product they're unsure of. But the game you're trying to get is in legal right limbo and even if it became freed up, 4-5 years is like a lifetime and a half for the video game world. The technology advance would make it worth very little in the market.

The other thing, about you wanting to sue, you have no "vested interest" in the game and no grounds to sue for it. If you worked on the game, had a contract that they broke, or some agreement to distribute it, then you might have some grounds to sue. But you don't have any connection to the project. Legal wars over rights to a property or license can be brutal and generally you have to wait it out or come in with a lot of money to buy off whomever is holding out. But if they don't want to sell, there's absolutely nothing you can do to force them into selling. If I were you, I would just try to get as much information about the game as possible over the internet. You might even find someone with a working version who would make you a copy. I'm sure there are workable bootleg copies floating around somewhere, you'll have a much better chance of that working out than any kind of legal battle. Good luck either way!
  • edited April 2008
    raistlin75 wrote: »
    I admire your tenacity in trying to get this game.

Why, thank you! :)
    If they were 80-90% done, it's terrible to have all that go to waste. If this happened now, instead of 4 years ago, I'm pretty certain that they would finish it cheaply and distribute it over the internet. Things have changed a lot in just a few years. Companies were worried about the cost of printing up boxes/discs and getting it displayed in stores. Month by month we're moving away from buying software in stores and digital distribution is going to be the only way eventually. It cuts overhead and makes companies more willing to release product they're unsure of. But the game you're trying to get is in legal right limbo and even if it became freed up, 4-5 years is like a lifetime and a half for the video game world. The technology advance would make it worth very little in the market..

But I think that once people see the sad story behind it, they'd actually want to buy the game anyway...
    The other thing, about you wanting to sue, you have no "vested interest" in the game and no grounds to sue for it. If you worked on the game, had a contract that they broke, or some agreement to distribute it, then you might have some grounds to sue. But you don't have any connection to the project. Legal wars over rights to a property or license can be brutal and generally you have to wait it out or come in with a lot of money to buy off whomever is holding out. But if they don't want to sell, there's absolutely nothing you can do to force them into selling.

That's not going to stop me from eventually finding a way, though!
    If I were you, I would just try to get as much information about the game as possible over the internet.

Oh, believe me, I have LOTS of information about this game. I'm going to keep looking for more, though!
    You might even find someone with a working version who would make you a copy. I'm sure there are workable bootleg copies floating around somewhere, you'll have a much better chance of that working out than any kind of legal battle. Good luck either way!

Maybe I should e-mail Nintendo and ask them to buy the rights to the game. I mean, they have lots of money... plus I'm pretty sure they're more open-minded and more likely to be interested in this kind of game than Sony or Microsoft would be... also, they'd never even think of doing to innocent people what Lucasarts did to the game's designers on March 3, 2004.

Of course, I could also start a campaign to get as many stores as possible to pull all the games they have from Lucasarts from store shelves, which should give the megalomaniacal conglomerate a huge wake-up call if done successfully.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo are more the type to make and stick to their own characters, rather than buying the rights to others. I can't think of any licensed games they've made anyway. And if they really wanted to buy Freelance Police, they would have by now.

But if by some crazy twist of fate, they happen to get the game, they couldn't release it because they don't have the Sam and Max licence.
    Also, Nintendo have been prats just as much as LucasArts in the past, if not moreso. European/Australian release dates and prices, region locking the Wii, not releasing games in some regions despite all translations being complete (I think this was the case with one of the Earthbound/Mother games, I'd have to check on that one though, and I'm pretty sure Earthbound 64 was almost complete before it got canned too). I'm a Nintendo hater, so there's probably some bias seeping in there (love the games, hate the business), but I can't see why you're making them out to be a beacon of love and happiness in a sea of LucasArts.

I probably shouldn't be responding to this guy (I'll try not to from now on) seeing as it just encourages him, but I'm just silly. Good luck trying to change the law and all that.
  • edited April 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo are more the type to make and stick to their own characters, rather than buying the rights to others. I can't think of any licensed games they've made anyway. And if they really wanted to buy Freelance Police, they would have by now.

But if by some crazy twist of fate, they happen to get the game, they couldn't release it because they don't have the Sam and Max licence.
    Also, Nintendo have been prats just as much as LucasArts in the past, if not moreso. European/Australian release dates and prices, region locking the Wii, not releasing games in some regions despite all translations being complete (I think this was the case with one of the Earthbound/Mother games, I'd have to check on that one though, and I'm pretty sure Earthbound 64 was almost complete before it got canned too). I'm a Nintendo hater, so there's probably some bias seeping in there (love the games, hate the business), but I can't see why you're making them out to be a beacon of love and happiness in a sea of LucasArts.

As much as I don't like you hating Nintendo, I can see you admit to being a hater, so I'll let it slide this time. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Oh, and "Earthbound 64" (also known as "Mother 3") was indeed cancelled, but it was also uncancelled. It is now a Game Boy Advance game (even though the only available version of the game is in Japanese). I imported that game from Japan, and I think I completed it at least three times despite my limited knowledge of Japanese. Anyway, if Mother 3 was uncancelled, maybe that Sam and Max game could be uncancelled too. Let's not give up hope yet...
  • edited April 2008
    Okay, just recently, I sent an e-mail to Gamestop telling them to pull all of Lucasarts' current games from their store shelves. I figured I'd try a new strategy, and thought, "maybe if stores didn't sell any of Lucasarts' current games anymore, Lucasarts wouldn't be able to make any money off those games any more, and they'd be in financial trouble, and they would have to sell the IPs they think they can get away with sitting on (i.e. the cancelled Sam and Max game)". I'll try to get in touch with other stores like Target and Walmart next...

Do you think weakening Lucasarts is a good strategy? Because strengthening them seemed to do us no good, as we still don't have that game!
  • edited April 2008
    Okay, just recently, I sent an e-mail to Gamestop telling them to pull all of Lucasarts' current games from their store shelves.
    got any reply yet?
  • edited April 2008
    got any reply yet?

Not yet. It's only been one day. But if it takes one week or longer, I'm gonna get suspicious...

Of course, I'm also planning on going to a Gamestop and appealing to them in person, and showing the employee a list of the Lucasarts games I want pulled.
  • edited April 2008
    As much as I don't like you hating Nintendo, I can see you admit to being a hater, so I'll let it slide this time.

Jesus, you make it sound like I'm some sort of a sinner because I don't agree with a big company's business decisions.

Hmm, not agreeing with a big company's business decisions. That sounds mighty familiar. Remind you of anyone Waitohooru?

Or should I threaten to sue them and get their games pulled before we make any more comparisons? ;)
  • FloFlo
    edited April 2008
    Waitohooru, are you somehow related to Jack Thompson?
  • edited April 2008
    Okay, just recently, I sent an e-mail to Gamestop telling them to pull all of Lucasarts' current games from their store shelves. I figured I'd try a new strategy, and thought, "maybe if stores didn't sell any of Lucasarts' current games anymore, Lucasarts wouldn't be able to make any money off those games any more, and they'd be in financial trouble, and they would have to sell the IPs they think they can get away with sitting on (i.e. the cancelled Sam and Max game)". I'll try to get in touch with other stores like Target and Walmart next...

Do you think weakening Lucasarts is a good strategy? Because strengthening them seemed to do us no good, as we still don't have that game!
    And what on earth would possibly make you think that would work?
  • edited April 2008
    Flo wrote: »
    Waitohooru, are you somehow related to Jack Thompson?

What? :eek: No way, that dude's insane!
  • edited April 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Jesus, you make it sound like I'm some sort of a sinner because I don't agree with a big company's business decisions.

Hmm, not agreeing with a big company's business decisions. That sounds mighty familiar. Remind you of anyone Waitohooru?

Or should I threaten to sue them and get their games pulled before we make any more comparisons? ;)

I didn't think you were that much of a sinner, honest. It just slipped out. Like I said, we're all entitled to our own opinions. Please forgive me if you thought otherwise.
  • edited April 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    And what on earth would possibly make you think that would work?

Because I don't think anyone's tried it yet, and I really want to see what happens. I'm curious, okay?

And it's not like I want those Lucasarts games pulled from stores permanently. I want this to be a temporary thing, you know, until Lucasarts changes its mind.
This discussion has been closed.