The Wolf Among Us Unofficial FAQ (Please Read Before Posting)

JenniferJennifer Moderator
edited September 2016 in The Wolf Among Us
asxO884.png

The Wolf Among Us FAQ (Last Update on May 18, 2016)

<h3>Please note all information here is compiled by volunteer moderators who are not Telltale Staff members.</h3>

Community moderators such as Jennifer and Vainamoinen helped write this FAQ. We check our facts thoroughly and have a lot of Telltale experience on our backs, but this is not an 'official' source, we're just volunteers!

If you are having trouble downloading an episode or are having trouble running the game on your system, please consult the Telltale Games Support Center. There are solutions for the most common problems there. If you can't find an answer to your problem there, please submit a request or send an e-mail to support@telltalegames.com.

(1) What is The Wolf Among Us?
It is an episodic game based on Bill Willingham's Fables comics, set in Fabletown, a hidden refuge for Fables in New York City. It is a prequel, set before the first issue, and is said by Mr. Willingham to be in canon with the comics. The player character will be the sheriff Bigby Wolf, and it will include Fables favorites like Snow White and Colin, one of the three little pigs. It also features original Fables created by Telltale for this game.

(2) What kind of game is it?
It is a game about choices, similar to The Walking Dead, with action sequences. The choices in this game relate to Bigby's wolf side, and how he treats the people he meets and those he has to protect. Like The Walking Dead, it consists of choice based gameplay. However, there is more freedom in the choices this time. You are able to choose where to go in some instances, and the events will happen in real time. So, the other event will still play out regardless of whether or not you are there. Also, the action is slightly more directly controlled this time. Bigby gets into brawls, and since he is a Fable, the fights are more over the top than they could be with someone like Lee from The Walking Dead.

(3) Is Bill Willingham involved with the game?
Bill Willingham reached a deal with Telltale to help with the general direction of the story of the game, and to make sure the characters and story stay true to the greater Fables universe.

(4) On which platforms is TWAU available?
The episodes are available for PC and Mac through the Telltale Store, Steam and other digital platforms, on the PlayStation3 through PSN, on Xbox360 through XBLA, and on iOS. Episodes one through four are available on Android, Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV, and the final episode will be released shortly. It will also be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita. A disc version for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will also be released.

(5) When were the episodes released?
Episode 1 "Faith" was released on October 11, 2013 on PC & Xbox Live, on October 14th on Mac, on October 15th for PSN NA, on October 16th for PSN EU, on December 5th for iOS, on June 2, 2014 for Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV, on October 30th on Android, on November 4th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in North America, and on November 7th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in Europe.
Episode 2 "Smoke and Mirrors" was released on January 4, 2014 on PC, Mac & PSN NA, on January 5th for XBLA & PSN EU, on January 7th for iOS, on June 2, 2014 for Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV, on October 30th on Android, on November 4th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in North America, and on November 7th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in Europe.
Episode 3 "A Crooked Mile" was released on April 8, 2014 on PC, Mac & PSN NA, on April 9th for XBLA & PSN EU, on iOS on April 10th, on June 2, 2014 for Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV, on October 30th on Android, on November 4th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in North America, and on November 7th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in Europe.
Episode 4 "In Sheep's Clothing" was released on May 27, 2014 on PC, Mac & PSN NA, on May 28, 2014 for XBLA, May 29, 2014 for iOS, on PSN EU on May 30, for Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV on October 3, 2014, on October 30th on Android, on November 4th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in North America, and on November 7th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in Europe.
Episode 5 "Cry Wolf" was released on July 8, 2014 for PC, Mac & PSN NA, on July 9, 2014 for XBLA and PSN EU, on July 10, 2014 for iOS, on November 4th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in North America, and on November 7th at retail for PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in Europe.

(6) How much does it cost?
Like The Walking Dead, the episodes cost $5 each. A season pass option comprising all five episodes is available for $25. The price might vary per platform. On some platforms (like the PC), you can't buy the episodes individually and will have to buy the entire season at once.

(7) How many episodes are there?
There are five episodes. The episode titles are Faith, Smoke & Mirrors, A Crooked Mile, In Sheep's Clothing, and Cry Wolf.

(8) Which languages are available for The Wolf Among Us?
Only English is available at the moment. There is no word on what languages The Wolf Among Us will be translated to or when they will be available, but historically Telltale has released their translations towards the end of the season.

(9) Will there be a bonus/free collector's DVD version available from the Telltale store?
YES! Yes, after three years (the last one before this was Back to the Future: The Game in 2011), Telltale store PC/Mac Season customers will finally receive a free bonus game DVD just for shipping costs.

(10) If I buy the game from someplace other than the Telltale store will I still get the collector's DVD?
No. The collector's DVD is only available for PC and Mac customers who order from the Telltale store.

(11) What is on the collector's DVD from the Telltale store?
This time around there aren't any extras included, but you do get an exclusive cover that is digitally signed by Adam Harrington, the voice of Bigby Wolf.

(12) Will there be a season two or a DLC episode, like with 400 Days in The Walking Dead: Season One?
Neither a second season nor a DLC episode has been announced. Note that 400 Days was Telltale's first time creating downloadable content for a season that was separate from the regular season, so it's unknown if this will be repeated for Telltale's other seasons. Both are certainly a possibility.

(13) What is this comic adaptation I read about? Did Telltale make that too?
Fables: The Wolf Among Us is a 48 part comic book adaptation of The Wolf Among Us. It concluded in November 2015. This comic was not produced by Telltale. The already created story was adapted into comic form, with comic book writers and artists handling the comic adaptations. Fables: The Wolf Among Us was published by the license holder of Fables, Vertigo, an imprint of DC Comics, which is owned by Warner Bros. It tells the story of The Wolf Among Us, but adds additional details, and differs from the source material in a few areas, but nothing too major. It's mostly faithful to the game, and is meant to add the story to the canon of the comics. It also answers the question of the mystery at the end of the game, but, while the reveal is canon to the comics, whether this reveal is also canon to the game is currently unknown.

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2013
    September 17th, 2013: I killed my "Telltale newbie FAQ" in this post and edited it into Jennifer's FAQ above. It's less confusing that way. And we're soooo close to release...
  • fusedmassfusedmass Banned
    edited September 2013
    Will this game have any types of choices, we can make that directly effect the outcome or more of same old same old?
    edited September 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    Will this game have any types of choices, we can make that directly effect the outcome or more of same old same old?

You can expect something similar to the Walking Dead in that respect. Probably with a bit less life-and-death, but possibly with a bit more consequence.
  • edited September 2013
    What's the "same old same old"?
  • fusedmassfusedmass Banned
    edited September 2013
    KCohere wrote: »
    What's the "same old same old"?

I played sam and max, no doubt it was fun. But moral choice modes with different outcomes, are really so much better. I was deicing on this game solely if it let me pick some of the choices
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2013
    It does have choices and this time you can choose to go two places and the events of the place that you didn't choose to go will play out even though you didn't experience them personally. So if you choose to help someone instead of someone else, the person that you didn't help will still experience the event without you there to help, and you'll have to face the consequences of that decision.

That part is what sounds the most appealing to me, since it should add even more depth and realism to the game's story. :)
  • Sorry folks. The forum migration has killed my newbie guide and all the changes to Jenni's first post we have made in the last four months.

• what happened to your beard!!! O.O

Vainamoinen posted: »

Sorry folks. The forum migration has killed my newbie guide and all the changes to Jenni's first post we have made in the last four months.

• Can't commit to gravatar, so it's gone for now.

edited September 2013

Vainamoinen wrote:

Sorry folks. The forum migration has killed my newbie guide and all the changes to Jenni's first post we have made in the last four months.

Shoot. I'll grab them off of Google cache and see if I can restore them.

And, I managed to restore them both, but the cache was from the 21st of August, so it was quite a bit old. I'm not sure if you had a newer version made after that, so you might have to update it. But at least your newbie guide (and my updated FAQ with the correct release date) are there again. :)

edited September 2013

Well, we're back to the August 4th version, and (parts??) of my newbie guide are back. It's a start...

I had indeed made several adjustments over the last two weeks (5 episodes ARE announced, season passes are 25$ etc.). I'd edit the above, but I'm a bit scared by how many posts have recently been cut off at ca. 2000 characters for no reason at all, so I just plain won't until that is explained and resolved. I don't want to accidentally delete 60% of what you've written...

However, now that we've also had confirmation that the Telltale store won't have any physical goods for the foreseeable future, we might also just give a plain "no" for Season DVD. It's just looking too bleak.

• "Probably not, as Telltale has announced they have no plans to make physical goods in the forseeable future" would be better, IMHO.

edited September 2013

Thanks, that is much better. I've updated the FAQ and it kept the whole post. Hopefully the forum cutoff limit will stay away if it ever has to be updated again.

"Probably not, as Telltale has announced they have no plans to make physical goods in the forseeable future" would be better, IMHO.

• All right, the forum doesn't cut off posts any more and the FAQ is much reformed. Now where are the newbies with their additional questions? ;)

• Hi guys! Can't wait for this game :)

Just wondering if you have any information on the trophies? Are they supported and if so will they be very simple like The Walking Dead or slightly more challenging like Back to the Future?

Thanks!

edited October 2013

As I understand it, most platforms (Steam, PSN, XBL) actually demand that the developer defines a certain amount of achievements/trophies to fit into the community/gaming experience they're trying to create.

If I remember correctly, Telltale has opted for a simple trophy-per-chapter system in The Walking Dead because the names of those trophies had to be handed in to the publisher way in advance. With the constant state of flux the episodes are in until very immediately before release, that was the only way to ensure it would work. So you can be relatively sure they will be in there, and you can also be sure that they won't really be challenging.

But take all this with a grain of salt. I'm drawing on information that I believe I heard somewhere in the void of this forum, possibly more than a year ago, certainly just in passing, and I could really be wrong here.

Hi guys! Can't wait for this game Just wondering if you have any information on the trophies? Are they supported and if so will they be very simple like The Walking Dead or slightly more challenging like Back to the Future? Thanks!

• Ah right I didn't know they were pretty much mandatory!

It's good to know they'll be included though, thanks for the reply :)

As I understand it, most platforms (Steam, PSN, XBL) actually demand that the developer defines a certain amount of achievements/trophies to f

• So, no hints at an iOS version yet? I guess I'll have to spring for PC, and then switch to iOS down the line if it eventuates.

• Been a while since you showed your face!! ;)

No iOS hints. Zero. Not even behind the curtain. ;)

jp-30 posted: »

So, no hints at an iOS version yet? I guess I'll have to spring for PC, and then switch to iOS down the line if it eventuates.

• I'm still around, lurking. Waiting... being scared off by this new board.

• This board is scary indeed.

edited October 2013

Good to see you back as well, MoA.

... I like the color scheme of the new board, a lot even. Functionality improvements are definitely in the works... but I do pray for a swift delivery.

This board is scary indeed.

• I had been afraid to try it, but I really like the notification system and how things pop up. Navigation is really easy. But yeah, I miss your beard as well.

Good to see you back as well, MoA. ... I like the color scheme of the new board, a lot even. Functionality improvements are definitely in the works... but I do pray for a swift delivery.

• Will take a while to grow back. Buuuuut it's not out of the question as things stand now.

I had been afraid to try it, but I really like the notification system and how things pop up. Navigation is really easy. But yeah, I miss your beard as well.

• Why can't PC gamers buy episodes individually and have to buy the full game?

• " Think along the lines of a serialized television series such as Lost."

VERY MINOR ART SPOILER ALERT

Hard not to when the first taxi in the game advertises OCEANIC AIRLINES! XD :)

• I
    STILL
    CAN'T
    PLAY

And my next Telltale's game purchase would be from Steam. I really love the games of TT, but people who bought from 3rd party can play before people who purchased the game from TT or redeemed a CD-Key, that's not very nice.

• Will the choices made persist across the multiple episodes? If so, do we have to keep each prior episode installed as we move forward?

edited October 2013

Will the choices made persist across the multiple episodes? If so, do we have to keep each prior episode installed as we move forward?

Yes and yes.

The game records practically every choice you make and Telltale could draw on any tiny detail they wish to in later episodes. Even the 'episode 2 preview' you get at the end of the first episode will already vary depending on the choices you made.

As you're downloading individual episodes from within the game, you will have to keep the first episode installed in any case. There's no way to deinstall individual episodes once you downloaded them, I think, so you'll have to keep those as well. So, yeah, I think you'll end up with all five episodes installed eventually.

irsimon posted: »

Will the choices made persist across the multiple episodes? If so, do we have to keep each prior episode installed as we move forward?

• I think you should add a tutorial on how to keep safe the save files if you need to unninstall the game or something happens.

edited October 2013

I think you should add a tutorial on how to keep safe the save files if you need to unninstall the game or something happens.

Good idea; it is rather the specialty of fellow mod DjNDB though. Let's see what he has to say to the idea.

CTCCoco posted: »

I think you should add a tutorial on how to keep safe the save files if you need to unninstall the game or something happens.

• I have no patience for waiting but It looks like I will be impatiently waiting for the next episode lol damit I'm addicted

• A: That, of course, was Telltale's plan right from the start.

I have no patience for waiting but It looks like I will be impatiently waiting for the next episode lol damit I'm addicted

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I just added the savegame locations on PC and Mac to the support FAQ.

CTCCoco posted: »

• Excellent. I'll add a few bits about iOS to the FAQ right now...

DjNDB posted: »

I think you should add a tutorial on how to keep safe the save files if you need to unninstall the game or something happens. I just added the savegame locations on PC and Mac to the support FAQ.

• Will collector's DVD include steam key?

edited October 2013

Of course not - I'm sorry. The general rule really is, if you want Telltale's games on Steam, you buy them on Steam.

• edited October 2013

Hmm... that's kind of makes me sad... then if I bought on Greenman gaming. Can I get the DVD?
    And I'm korean. so which brand would suppose to make a delivery to here would be? Fedex?

Of course not - I'm sorry. The general rule really is, if you want Telltale's games on Steam, you buy them on Steam.

• Provided the game is activated through the Telltale site (which i believe the GreenManGaming version is), you SHOULD be able to get the DVD for just the cost of shipping once it becomes available.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.