Novelization?

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Back in the day, when a LA adventure game came out, a fan would write a novelization of it.

Has anyone put any thought/effort into attempting a project like this for the current seasons?

Comments

• langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Writing the novelized version of a fart joke seems like some kind of literary sin.
  • edited March 2008
    It worked for Shakespeare
  • edited March 2008
    i have to read shakespeare again i have to find the fart joke
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Most of Shakespeare's plays have at least one fart joke.
  • edited March 2008
    Fart jokes have been around for ages. Haven't you guys ever seen those ancient cave paintings of the guy bent over with people passed out behind him. Though that may be not so much a joke as a warning to stay upwind of that guy.
  • edited March 2008
    i usually try to stand as far away from aperson who is known to fart alot but sometimes you cant avoid to be near such a person
  • edited March 2008
    Not sure I can remember any fart jokes in Shakespeare but there's plenty of knob[1] jokes.

[1] or euphemism of your choice
  • edited March 2008
    whats a knob?
  • edited March 2008
    It's what you open a door with.
  • edited March 2008
    okay thats a knob but how can someone make jokes about them they arent funny
  • MelMel
    edited March 2008
    (k)nob is a slang term for a penis
  • edited March 2008
    okay that one i didnt know
    this forum is sorta educational
  • edited March 2008
    haven't heard that one as well, sounds rather short. furthermore the expression knob job, even though sounding kind of funny, seems a bit odd. isn't the x in x job, where x is supposed to be a variable like in math, usually referring to what is used to handle the job instead of what is handeled? you know, like in...hehe..hehe...paint job. the paint is used to color the car, otherwise it would be a car job.
  • edited March 2008
    DERAILED o_O

We already have a Sam & Max book. It's called Surfin' the Highway. :)

And I think making books of the episodes themselves is like making a book based on the Wizard of Oz movie, or worse still, the Lord of the Rings movies.
  • edited March 2008
    Kedri wrote: »
    DERAILED o_O

We already have a Sam & Max book. It's called Surfin' the Highway. :)

And I think making books of the episodes themselves is like making a book based on the Wizard of Oz movie, or worse still, the Lord of the Rings movies.
    Please tell me you were aware that they both were originally books.
  • edited March 2008
    I think that might have been the point :)
  • edited March 2008
    Sp0tted wrote: »
    Back in the day, when a LA adventure game came out, a fan would write a novelization of it.

Has anyone put any thought/effort into attempting a project like this for the current seasons?

Sam reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out the typewriter ribbon he had stumbled upon in Jurgen's castle earlier. He tried to push it against Max's head, but after a few attempts, he realized that this was getting him nowhere.

"I can't use this with that!" Sam muttered to himself.

----

Max menaced the jukebox. Seeing that the machine refused to cower, he wandered around for a few minutes, pausing only to pick at his navel lint and sniff things.

To Sam and Stinky, he was merely keeping himself amused. But Max was using this opportunity to question his role in life. Was he forever destined to chew on dictator heads and make hilarious quips? Or was there a higher calling? Max's true dream in life was to be a calliope player, but he knew Sam only wanted to solve cases. So he forced a smile every morning and pretended to be excited about his job. If Sam only knew the sacrifices Max made to keep him happy.

---

So yeah, I don't see a novelization working. :p
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Sam reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out the typewriter ribbon he had stumbled upon in Jurgen's castle earlier. He tried to push it against Max's head, but after a few attempts, he realized that this was getting him nowhere.

----

Max menaced the jukebox. Seeing that the machine refused to cower, he wandered around for a few minutes, pausing only to pick at his navel lint and sniff things.

To Sam and Stinky, he was merely keeping himself amused. But Max was using this opportunity to question his role in life. Was he forever destined to chew on dictator heads and make hilarious quips? Or was there a higher calling? Max's true dream in life was to be a calliope player, but he knew Sam only wanted to solve cases. So he forced a smile every morning and pretended to be excited about his job. If Sam only knew the sacrifices Max made to keep him happy.

---

Hey! I don't see a Mary Sue in that! It's mandatory, you know. :mad:
  • edited March 2008
    I think some games need novelizations. Like, I'd read the book version of a Final Fantasy or Earthbound game, because in games like that it tends to feel like the gameplay is merely an obstacle in the way of story. Sam & Max is easy enough to get through that I don't have that feeling.
    edited March 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I think some games need novelizations.

Quix: The Novel
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Please sir, the correct spelling is Qix. The story of Qix is explicated in Megadrive's classic Ultimate Qix.

"The spaceship Monotros is just about to arrive home safely, when the crew discovers that a deadly alien force has beaten them home. Their mother star completely annihilated, the crew hops back in their ship to fly around the planet looking for survivors. When they come upon an S.O.S. signal, their adventure is just about to begin. Approaching the planet's surface again, our heroes discover that their last allies are under attack! Pilot the Monotros into battle against fierce alien attacks and unknown terrors in this science fiction epic. An entire star's fate rests in your hands, so use the individual strengths of the crew members to your advantage and pray for the best."

Clearly you are not a true fan, sir.
    edited March 2008
    Touché.
  • edited March 2010
    I think there should be novelization of Sam and Max seasons, especially the other Telltale Games. They would be fine reading as well as help those who don't got the games or never go to Youtube a lot figure out what's going on.
  • edited March 2010
    Does anyone else remember the novelization of Smash TV?
  • edited March 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »

----

---

Or I'm too nervious, or bored, or this is really funny

(It's the third option, I'm sure!)
  • edited March 2010
    Hi 2008. I'm here...FROM THE FUTURE.
  • edited March 2010
    Somewhere around ShaggE's post, a unicorn exploded into a bright cloud of rainbows, butterflies, and delicately-crafted European chocolates.

And thus my annoyance at the necrobump has largely dissipated. Largely.
  • edited March 2010
    You know, I like to write a lot. I may not be able to make a novelization of season one, but I may be able to make a short storylization (that needs to be a word now)
    I'll work on it when I remember it next
  • edited March 2010
    From
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Act I, Sc. II
    "I'll speak in a monstrous little voice. "

Clearly that is a fart joke :p Ok maybe not.
  • edited March 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    From
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Act I, Sc. II
    "I'll speak in a monstrous little voice. "

Clearly that is a fart joke :p Ok maybe not.
    If you're going for a Shakespearean fart joke, at the very least use the actual Shakespearean fart joke.
    A man may break a word with you, sir, and words are but wind,
    Ay, and break it in your face, so he break it not behind.

The Comedy of Errors
    Act 3, Scene 1
  • edited March 2010
    Try this
    Demetrius: "Villain, what hast thou done?"
    Aaron: "That which thou canst not undo."
    Chiron: "Thou hast undone our mother."
    Aaron: "Villain, I have done thy mother."

Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene II

Thanks to Gravity on the Real Life forums
    Shakespeare, making everything classier since the 1590s.
  • edited March 2010
    If you're going for a Shakespearean fart joke, at the very least use the actual Shakespearean fart joke.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?
  • edited March 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

I do bite my thumb at you, sir.
  • edited March 2010
    Sp0tted wrote: »

Actually, a LucasArts employee named Jo Ashburn would, only he'd write it in the form of a walkthrough and it would be included in the hint book. The one for Hit the Road is swell.
  • edited March 2010
    I had no idea people here realised Shakespeare made popular, gross jokes or I wouldn't have used it as an example in another thread :P

I don't see why a novelisation wouldn't work, but don't count on me to write it.
  • edited March 2010
    I haven't read much Shakespere, but I get the impression that he used a lot of lowbrow humour. His plays got popular because they appealed to so many people.
    ShaggE wrote:

----

---

That was funny, but writing can be exactly as silly as cartoonish video games can. It's a medium, not a genre. There's really no reason why the games can't be novelised. Except that I don't think a novelisation would add much. That said, I'm going to try a written version of the final puzzle of 106. I've had the idea for a while, and this thread is a good excuse.
  • edited March 2010
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Actually, a LucasArts employee named Jo Ashburn would, only he'd write it in the form of a walkthrough and it would be included in the hint book. The one for Hit the Road is swell.

This is cool, but it's not what I am talking about...

This is...http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/neches/158/snm1.htm
  • edited March 2010
    Heheh, I actually just saw the Video Game Novel section at Borders yesterday; Halo, Myst, Baldur's Gate, Word of Warcraft, Icewind Dale, Hellgate London (I think)...those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.
  • edited March 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    Heheh, I actually just saw the Video Game Novel section at Borders yesterday; Halo, Myst, Baldur's Gate, Word of Warcraft, Icewind Dale, Hellgate London (I think)...those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Most video-game based novels tend to be original side-stories and stuff using the game's world and characters, generally, whereas a "novelization" implies a book that retells more or less the same story that the game tells, like with film novelizations. Not trying to correct you or anything, just sort of contrasting the original poster's idea with the examples you mention.

I'll also add that the Myst novels are fantastic. Highly recommended reading.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.