Novelization?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I read an official Kings Quest novel when I was a teen.... It wasn't based on any of the games it was an entirely different story...
  • edited March 2010
    I heard there have been two Professor Layton novels. But only in Japan. Boooooo!
  • edited March 2010
    I wonder if they ask you to solve puzzles in the middle of the novel.

"Hi, my dear Layton, I wanted to go buy some food but I'm wondering, what's the very longest path for me to go from my house to the shop taking only 3 turns?"
  • edited March 2010
    I love fan fiction
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I wonder if they ask you to solve puzzles in the middle of the novel.

"Hi, my dear Layton, I wanted to go buy some food but I'm wondering, what's the very longest path for me to go from my house to the shop taking only 3 turns?"

I heard they will do that IN THE MOVIE so, I don't think is that impossible..
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I heard they will do that IN THE MOVIE so, I don't think is that impossible..

I heard they already did that in the movie.
  • edited March 2010
    "Oh, hi. I'm Mendelev," says the archer. "I used to run a shooting range here with my brother Dongolev. But we don't talk so much anymore. I haven't seen him in a Jhonka's age. If you ever run into him, tell him I said 'haldo'.
    "You mean 'hello,'?" Rather Dashing asked.
    "Oh, um. No. Shut up. I said 'haldo' and I meant 'haldo.' Tell him I said 'haldo.'"
  • edited March 2010
    You added six words. That's not much of a novelisation.
  • edited March 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    "Oh, hi. I'm Mendelev," says the archer. "I used to run a shooting range here with my brother Dongolev. But we don't talk so much anymore. I haven't seen him in a Jhonka's age. If you ever run into him, tell him I said 'haldo'.
    "You mean 'hello,'?" Rather Dashing asked.
    "Oh, um. No. Shut up. I said 'haldo' and I meant 'haldo.' Tell him I said 'haldo.'"

Dear Sir

We are the proprietors of all copyright in a literary/artistic/musical work entitled Peasant's Quest(The "Work"). We have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first expressed in material form on August 2, 1982.

It has come to our attention that your work entitled Peasant's Quest: The Really Really Short Excerpt of A Potential Novelization, is identical/substantially similar to our copyrighted Work. Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our Work and your Work therefore constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement, as well as to recover damages from you for the loss we have suffered as a result of your infringing conduct.

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;

2. credit all infringing content to ourselves in the following manner: Videlectrix Read!;

3. pay a licensing fee in the amount of ONE MILLION DOLLARS;

4. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;

5. deliver-up for destruction all unused or undistributed copies;

6. undertake in writing to desist from using any of our copyrighted Work in future without prior written authority from us.

We await to hear from you by no later than close of business on yesterday.

This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,

Videlectrix*

*not really
  • edited March 2010
    All of this is irrelevant. We need a BioShock novelisation.
  • edited March 2010
    All of this is irrelevant. We need a BioShock novelisation.
    That would be like making a novelization of the Harry Potter films. The Bioshock novelization is Atlas Shrugged.
  • edited March 2010
    That would be like making a novelisation of the Harry Potter films. The Bioshock novelization is Atlas Shrugged.

No, Atlas Shrugged is like a prequel novelisation, BEFORE everything turned to shit. I mean, *sublime.*

Also, let's all ignore Videlectrix. Copyrights are for n00bz0rz. They have their demands and I think that they're unreasonable. Those parasites.
  • edited March 2010
    No, Atlas Shrugged is like a prequel novelisation, BEFORE everything turned to shit. I mean, *sublime.*
    Isn't that enough for you, though? What would a novel reveal about Bioshock's story that the game did not?
    Also, let's all ignore Videlectrix. Copyrights are for n00bz0rz. They have their demands and I think that they're unreasonable. Those parasites.
    But is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
  • edited March 2010
    Isn't that enough for you, though? What would a novel reveal about Bioshock's story that the game did not?

No, no. It's cool. Don't worry. A novel is needed. Trust me on this, friend.
    But is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Look, as I told Sinclair during the economic run-up, I would not offer legal protections on products. If you want to protect your market share, you have got to provide a better product. It's economic Darwinism and a cornerstone of my philosophy. This is not a cop-out. Men are still entitled to the sweat of their brows. I am not a giant hypocrite. Just ignore what the game tells you in that regard.
  • edited March 2010
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rather Fucking Annoying

That's a bit harsh
  • edited March 2010
    That's a bit harsh
    True, but also funny. :D
  • edited March 2010
    True, but also funny. :D

As long as you're okay with it, then a harsh insult turns to comic gold. :D
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »

Actually, I just replaced 'you' with 'Rather Dashing'.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »

I feel the need to post six-word stories now.
    But my shortest story was about 10 words long so instead I'll link you to this.

(I love this one):
    Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
  • edited March 2010
    I did one.

There was a guy. He died
  • edited March 2010
    "Titles. Wacky adventures. Credits roll. Fin."
  • edited March 2010
    Once upon a time, the end.
  • edited March 2010
    falling ball, bounce
  • edited March 2010
    Boy meets girl. Girl calls cops.
  • edited March 2010
    Boy meets girl. Girl calls cops.

Genius !
  • edited March 2010
    Having written the vaguely popular (and I use that term loosely) fanfiction "Sam & Max vs. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac," I have to say that writing for the Freelance Police in a novel format is difficult. You don't have the ability to rely on artwork or animation to carry out some of the jokes and instead have to hope that you can accurately portray the precise image through text alone in order to be sure people get some of the sight gags. Or whatever a sight gag would be called in a medium that doesn't include artwork.
  • edited March 2010
    That really depends. When I write Sam & Max fanfiction, I focus more on the character driven humour than the sight gags, and give the perspective character an internal monologue. This is usually Sam, because Max seems like the kind of person who would get bored in the middle of a thought. It just seems a waste to be writing in prose and not trying to get into anybody's head.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.