Sam & Max 205: What's New, Beelzebub? - Reviews & Discussions w/ Spoilers

Comments

• edited April 2008
    One more from 203-204. It was never really explained how Max got back from being a zombie. He didn't catch his soul in 203 (after chasing it in the cliffhanger) , and then is shown on a presidential speaker's booth AS a zombie in the end credits.

If you talk to max at the beginning of 204 they mention that.
  • edited April 2008
    If you read the comics, Flint is rarely useful. He's not meant ot be a major character, just one who pops up from time to time and does something violent.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    How essential has Flint ever been to a Sam & Max story? He's there to add some hard boiled P.I. flavor.
  • edited April 2008
    Just curious, are the end credits supposed to be without music? They were on my computer, and made the credits feel kinda empty. Except for the excellent "outtakes" of the wedding of course. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Hey out of curiosity, did hearing the Mimesweeper music playing on the Corporate Presence's computer in the Hell main office help you guys figure out the "violin duel with Specs" puzzle?

No. It was fairly obvious that you need another cartridge for a better tune. I didn't realize the game cartridges were Mimesweeper cartridges until I picked one up.
  • edited April 2008
    Just curious, are the end credits supposed to be without music? They were on my computer, and made the credits feel kinda empty. Except for the excellent "outtakes" of the wedding of course.

Not for me, but plenty of other people had that happen. There is some music that goes with it, which obviously adds a lot... try replaying the last scene if you want.

When I finished Season 1, the same thing happened and Max ran around punching people with no musical accompaniment D: It gave the whole thing a very eerie feeling.
  • edited April 2008
    I actually would probably enjoy Flint being even less involved in the episodes. I enjoy him more just like you described it Jake, to add some hard-boiled P.I. Flavor, doing something violent. For example dropping down from the rooftop, running away from a helicopter pursuing him, firing a couple of rounds with a semi-automatic, then running off-screen. Not to be explained why. Just like in Hit the Road - all involvement with Flin Paper is the one pointless scene where he shoots through the wall. A classic. :)

Seems really out of place for him to take part in a bachelor party or a wedding. That's not the Flint I don't know. :P
  • edited April 2008
    I didn't have any music in the wedding outtakes either.
    edited April 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    Seems really out of place for him to take part in a bachelor party or a wedding. That's not the Flint I don't know. :P

Other than the examples in 205 (a moment in which he's corrupted and out of character, and the season epilogue), he's seen punching a guy in the face, sitting in a diner with a pile of cigarettes spying on someone, breaking through windows and shooting people, and busting into a shuttered convenience store for a stakeout. I think those qualify!
  • edited April 2008
    This season was really so full of awesomeness that I can't set my mind on a favorite episode. I know that 202 wasn't my favorite tho, being the one that bored me the most.
    And as for the 205, it was truly epic. The longest episode imho. I only had to use the hint system for the fiddle challenge (I wasn't thinking bout those cartridges in the subway anymore, so I just tried the paperclips in the crack after Sam said something, and it worked). Oh, and just a minor detail: The cursor of the minigame wasn't really flashy. I had a hard time spotting it when the game starts, and I admit it frustrated me a little.
    Apart from that, the episode was brilliant, as was every episode of this season - minus one :D . From a french player, thanks Telltale for bringing the best adventure game since the LucasArts era, and I'll be there for Season 3.
  • edited April 2008
    Fair enough. :)
    Though the stakeout one is pushing it. It would've been cooler had he been in a car on the street.

I think I need to play 203 through. I want to see the Flint action sequence. I've only played 201 204 and 205 from this season...
  • edited April 2008
    Hey out of curiosity, did hearing the Mimesweeper music playing on the Corporate Presence's computer in the Hell main office help you guys figure out the "violin duel with Specs" puzzle?

Actually, yeah.
    T
    -Maimtron 9000 returns! And I'm surprised that when controlling Maimtron and clicking on Satan, Telltale didn't go with the obvious "Please allow me to introduce myself" joke.

They kind of did ("He's a man of wealth and taste").
  • edited April 2008

I had kind of forgotten about the pile of cartridges by that point in the game. I never had to revisit that half of the screen once soul train came in, so I think that was why it didn't occur to me. But once I got the cartridge and the fiddle duo commenced, I immediately recognized the music.
  • edited April 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »

Ah, they just went with a less obvious line. :) I don't recall all the lyrics to the song.
  • edited April 2008

Kind of. I mistook it for a remix of the Pac Man theme, but I saw a Minesweeper style game on SCP's screen, so I ended up putting two and two together.
  • booboo
    edited April 2008
    First off, big round of applause for a much improved season altogether.

I thought 205 was a laugh riot. Hell freezing over and then Max (finally) getting to pick up the commissioner's call was probably my high point but so much of it was hilarious and out there that it's hard to pick favorite moments. That being said, it was also truly inspired that S&M had their own deidcated wing in hell and that their reaction was somewhere between flattered and non-plussed.

The devil as middle management and the Soda Poppers as the evil genius types, worked for me. Especially Sam's personal hell.

Can I just say though that even with the game's wacky anthing goes worldview, the Monster strip tease was too much. Not because it was in poor taste, but because it stetched credulity beyond what even S&M can sustain. It especially hurt to have Flint in there, who should be S&M's role model of violent, gumshoe behavior. I get that they were hitting the "juice" pretty hard, and that "girls are scarce in the neighborhood" but it to me was a huge miss. A misread of tone, even?

But even as I complain I'm laughing about sending Timmy to hell, and Stinky turning out to be a golem made from a demonic cake recipe.

You wanna talk plot holes though, since when is a spare rib an appetizer? Main course, buddy.
  • edited April 2008
    Indeed, a stellar way to conclude the season.

What is especially enjoyable is to see how character animation has improved: action is more fluid and both Sam & Max are endowed with a richer body language. I'm also impressed how the plot fits everything to a tee: all the conundrums in the season are resolved (with the exception of Superball; I presume Telltale is saving him for season 3), and the final puzzle -- Bell, Book and Candle (an Ultima reference?) caps this season's running gag: birthdays. Speaking of which, however, I cannot help wondering about the Poppers Birthday Paradox. (The #@$@ Poppers' birthday is 12.21, yet Timmy says Specs was born on a leap day. The episode happens on the same night the duo return to their office via the time elevator, i.e. 6 Sept, yet the Poppers claim it is also their birthday)

Unlike what has been claimed, this episode is not long: likely on par with 203 and 204; the large download is due to the sheer number of quality cut scenes. The puzzles are on the easy side; nothing as involved as the "fixing Bosco" quest in 204. As most puzzles can be solved without much thought, this give the impression that the game is fairly short.

The humor, for the most part, is very erudite: drawn from mythologies and literature (Jurgen: "Oh, you're so divinely comical!"). Largely gone are the celeb references (which may not register with players outside the US), and the potty jokes that (for me) mar 204 are toned down. The low point in this episode has to be the stag party (although evidently it is many peoples' favorite scene). I think it is just cruel.

Music is a bit humdrum: 203 is a masterpiece and 204 is classy, but nothing sticks to mind in this episode.

Again, thanks Telltale for the wonderful ride. Looking forward to more seasons.
  • edited April 2008
    Ah, they just went with a less obvious line. :) I don't recall all the lyrics to the song.

They did the same thing when Sam & Max first talk to Satan (some variation of the "hope you guess my name" line). AKA one of the many moments during this episode when I clapped my hands and giggled with audible glee.

So much brilliance in this episode--I played it all in one sitting, which is actually a first for me with these episodes. Definitely my favorite of both seasons...and here I thought nothing could top the plot twists from 2x04. Very dark episode, too. Loved most of that, though I have to admit, I felt a little guilty for killing off (however temporarily) Tiny Timmy.

I did have trouble with the Minesweeper/golden violin puzzle (had to go consult the walkthrough), but I think that may have something to do with me not being ooooold enough to know that I'd have to use a game cartridge with Chippy. :D Or geeky enough. Whichever.

Oh, and one more thing...I think the bondage gear, naked!Bosco, and the Leisure Suit Larry-esque Peepers were all the most hilarious and yet most incredibly disturbing moments of the season. ...My retinas, however, may never be the same. Thanks, Telltale. :p
  • edited April 2008

None whatsoever, from my part, at least. I had to turn on the hints for that.
  • edited April 2008

The main difficulty in this puzzle is that the Soul Train is blocking the view on the other side of the platform, so people may not remember/realise there is a dump of cartridges there.
  • edited April 2008
    for me... it was the fact that the soul train is *NOT* blocking the cartage pile.. i found it odd, and wondered why the train was pushed over so far and not taking up the entire platform, then i noticed the cartages... (then i remembered the minesweeper music) then i thought... how do i get a cartage... then i saw the smoke... then i grabbed a wet towel and put out the flaming ashtray on my desk... then i noticed the smoke on the monitor and made the connection to the crack in the sidewalk above... immediately knew to use the paperclip chain to pick up a cartage... then i listened to the censored soda poppers song again... then i finally shoved the cartage into chippy's gaping maw... does that help jake? (in fact, this was the easiest of the 3 puzzles in the second act for me... probably because of the music i heard earlier in the episode, yeh)
  • edited April 2008
    Randulf wrote: »
    and the final puzzle -- Bell, Book and Candle (an Ultima reference?)

Traditional method of excommunication (also popularised as a method of exorcism). I lol'd.
    Tyraa Rane wrote: »
    I did have trouble with the Minesweeper/golden violin puzzle (had to go consult the walkthrough), but I think that may have something to do with me not being ooooold enough to know that I'd have to use a game cartridge with Chippy. :D Or geeky enough. Whichever.

The game camera kinda zoomed in on Chippy at one point (when he lost?) and the Pong cartridge was quite evident, that's what gave me the hint. I'm quite musically deaf, so even though i noticed the mimesweeper theme in hell, i took no notice.
  • edited April 2008

Not really. I found the tune kind of annoying (especially because it kept going off during conversations), so I didn't think of it when starting to look for better music. However, looking at Chippy immediately made me think of trying a different cartridge. The real problem for me was figuring out how to get to the Mimesweeper pile. I was beginning to think it might be a red herring, before I finally realized how to do it.
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    for me... it was the fact that the soul train is *NOT* blocking the cartage pile.. i found it odd, and wondered why the train was pushed over so far and not taking up the entire platform, then i noticed the cartages...

Oh yeah that's right. I just never walked far enough along the platform.
  • edited April 2008
    Mr_Stealth wrote: »
    However, looking at Chippy immediately made me think of trying a different cartridge.The real problem for me was figuring out how to get to the Mimesweeper pile. I was beginning to think it might be a red herring, before I finally realized how to do it.
    I had trouble with this as well. I think it went something like this:
    - Early in the game I noticed the pile and all the other junk in the subway
    - But none of the junk seemed to be pick-up-able (the recorder, the baby carrier, the posters, etc.)
    - I noticed that the hole in the ceiling above it matched the hole in the main street;
    - So I tried using the Maimtron to reach down there, but that didn't work;
    - Although there was a single, shining cartridge on top of the pile, that one wasn't look-at-able (clickable), so I assumed I would not be able to interact with it.
    - At that point I didn't have the string of paperclips yet.
    So after trying and failing to get the cartridge, I concluded it was not something I could take, and I dismissed it for the rest of the game. Silly, I know. I think it would have helped if you could at least have looked at the cartridge on top of the pile, to give you a hint that you might be able to do something with it (in general, objects that are not clickable cannot be used in the game).

On a similar issue: is the bonesaw not pick-up-able when you first encounter it? Because I'm absolutely sure I saw it and tried to pick it up when Sam is first in the diaroma with Max, but it wouldn't let me. (In retrospect, I think I might have clicked on the desk instead of the saw.)
  • edited April 2008
    it did help solving the puzzle, but also drove me insane beyond repair...
  • edited April 2008
    It actually confused me. Apparently, I was under the mistaken impression that a fiddle contest was performed with fiddles, not a fiddle and electronic music :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2008
    Wonderful, wonderful season, eagerly awaiting SBCG4AP and Season 3.

Am I the only person who had the Soda Poppers pegged as the evil masterminds from 201? The Shambling Corporate Presence being from "Lower Manitoba" (Manitoba, a Canadian province, is bordered by North Dakota on the south) was a great big neon-lighted sign to me when combined with the Poppers' presence in the episode (not to mention the fact that they were the ones who figured out what happened).

Funniest moment in episode 205, perhaps in the whole series: "Hello, friend! Stay awhile, and listen!" All Hail Telltale, Supreme Monarchs of the Obscure Gaming Reference.
  • edited April 2008

You know what I would really have wanted the Maimtron say to Satan, now that I think of it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N505JczoEGI

But then that would've implied that Satan was the final showdown villain, which he wasn't.

Great song though.
  • edited April 2008
    Funniest moment in episode 205, perhaps in the whole series: "Hello, friend! Stay awhile, and listen!" All Hail Telltale, Supreme Monarchs of the Obscure Gaming Reference.

Anyone care to enlighten me on this quote? Don't bite my head off for my hideous lack of gaming knowledge, I know I'm an ignoramus. :D
  • edited April 2008
    KensterFox wrote: »
    "Hello, friend! Stay awhile, and listen!" All Hail Telltale, Supreme Monarchs of the Obscure Gaming Reference.
    i was wondering the whole time where i heard that before...i think i remember now, it's...*drum roll*...diablo. right?
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    i was wondering the whole time where i heard that before...i think i remember now, it's...*drum roll*...diablo. right?

Yep. Cain (the guy standing in the middle of town who, like Grandpa Stinky, sounds an awful lot like Sean Connery) says it every time you talk to him.
  • edited April 2008
    re: The Specs/Chippy fiddle contest.

Somehow, I got the Mimesweeper thing straight away as soon as I got the paperclip chain. I didn't actually think using it on the crack would work (I thought it'd be a matter of having one of the molemen throw one across for you or something), so it was still a surprise when it did.
    I think it helped more seeing a cartridge already in Chippy than the music in the Hell offices.

The only puzzle I had to consult the walkthrough for was getting the rib. Even with the hints, Max was pretty useless ("I feel homesick Sam") and I never realised you could pick up the cider.

On a tangent, anyone else notice the spike collar on Hugh Bliss in Hell? He doesn't seem to have it on when he appears in the cooking show though. Just wondering what that was all about.
  • edited April 2008
    When I first saw the collar and that Hugh wasn't talking, I didn't realize he was being haughty - I thought he was turned into a cyborg or something, and the collar was the hinge on his neck. Yeah..

I felt pretty dazed when it was time to ruin the 3 Poppers' plans. I just let Max's hints bring me where they did, and at "I feel like fishing" I used the chain on the crack without the foggiest idea what it would bring me. Later when I put two and two together - that I picked up a Mimesweeper disc and the crack was above a Mimesweeper disc pile - I felt mad at myself for being so stupid. Sleep is really necessary for good puzzle-solving...
  • edited April 2008
    I tried several times to figure out something to do with that crack, but I wasn't sure why. Later on, when the puzzle was happening, I did turn on the hint system and I heard Sam say a line about the street being directly over Hell. That was enough for me to go over and use all my inventory on the crack, and that did the trick. Once I saw that I got the Mimesweeper cartridge it all started making sense, although I had never noticed the cartridge slot before.

The other puzzle I used the hint system for was the toy factory thing. I probably would've gotten it if I had only spent more time in Santa's workshop; I completely forgot that the babies go through the chute. I only really tried that once. For the longest time I was trying to make a toy that wouldn't be recalled (I kept hoping for the "RECALLED" buzzer to say "CLEARED" or something instead), which as you can imagine was an exercise in frustration.
  • edited April 2008
    (I kept hoping for the "RECALLED" buzzer to say "CLEARED" or something instead)

Ditto. I could have slapped myself when I realised that wasn't it.
  • edited April 2008
    I also knew I had to do SOMETHING with that damn crack since I first noticed it was cliquable, but I never connected it to picking up the cartridges, for some reason. I just figured they were there for the ET Atari game reference. When Max gave me the thing hint about fishing, I finally figured out what I had to do there... But I STILL had no idea I was supposed to get the catridge until it was in my hands! Funny how these things work. Hindsight 20/20 'n all that.

I know it's stupid, but did anybody actually try warming up the coffee with the steam coming out of the crack? 'Cause that was the first thing I tried to do when I got out of hell with it!
  • edited April 2008
    I'm really impressed by this episode, you guys wrapped the whole season up as tight as as episode of Doctor Who from the new series! I'm also kind of ashamed that I NEVER NOTICED that the esperanto bookstore had gone missing. seriously, it totally did not register that Bosco's hadn't always been right next to Sam & Max's office.

Also, Hell has no horror compared to Abe's bachelor party, and Peepers trying to be Barry White. *shudder* and I thought Max's jive-talking persona in the last game made me want to run screaming from the room.

I noted that one of the Poppers quoted LucasArt's explaination for cancelling their S&M game verbatim, and ROFLed.

watching the @#$% Poppers being destroyed by lava at the same time as finding out where that portal at the end of 202 went to was wonderfully cathartic!

All in all, a truly worthy sequel to the previous game and addition to the Sam & Max canon! Congratulations!
    TrogLlama wrote: »

Is it me, or did that song get quoted twice? I recall that Satan himself said "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."

And about the puzzles that I guess everyone had trouble with - I had to turn up the hints till I got a comment about target practice and fishing to figure out what to do in those two situations, and even then I wasn't sure what I would accomplish by doing it. and no, the minesweeper music playing on SCP's computer didn't clue me in at all.

One nitpick - if they saved themselves from the pit in 201, shouldn't it have been Christmas at the time, being as it was shown by the Ghost of Christmas Future?
    Marty wrote: »
    One thing that particularly bugged me was the usage of the giant robot. I was expecting for sure that Sam would control the giant robot in the end in an epic battle with Satan.... but all he did was retrieve a coin...

huh, so I wasn't the only person who thought that!

one last thing, I think the humour in these games is becoming contagious. Just before I clicked on Jurgen's Monster for his surgery, I literally said, out loud, "Buddy, can you spare a rib?" before I realized what I'd done @___@
    edited April 2008
    Throughout the season, I harbored a secret hope that Lincoln's head would somehow end up attached to the Maimtron's body for some kind of final showdown.
  • edited April 2008
    Throughout the season, I harbored a secret hope that Lincoln's head would somehow end up attached to the Maimtron's body for some kind of final showdown.

There's always next season!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.