How to make life easier for non-IE users

edited April 2009 in Sam & Max
please create an --simple-splash parameter option for the sam & max games,

with all options with simple text and button controls instead of a HTML interface.

this is good for the people with IE uninstalled and the wine users will be especially happy since the game runs great under linux, but the lame HTML splash screen is preventing us to start the game. Season one for example is running great in wine but the splash screen ruins it for the people who don't have a serial (because they cant start it in demo mode)

It would be awesome if you can update the downloaded versions of the episodes!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Listen to your users!
    He(she?) is right! Installing Windows to play season 2 was slightly annoying to me.
    And even worse is thinking I installed Windows to play season 2 when the only problem was a pirate protection...
  • edited May 2008
    I don't think the HTML splash screen is there because of pirates.
  • edited May 2008
    Yes, you are right of course. Reality is even harsher, it is not the pirate protection the problem. But the interface for using it :EEK!: .
  • edited May 2008
    Are you kidding? Stop complaining. This game, like all others, is meant to be run on a Windows machine. It's one of the requirements. Don't complain when it's listed. You're better off running Windows than anything else anyway.

I feel the need to attach this image taken from episode 5:
    linuxhellhk0.th.jpg
  • edited May 2008
    but... but... making things work on things they are not supposed to is one of the cornerstones of being a geek... making other geeks weep, and showing off all the cool junk i can make my PSP do is always a highlight of my day... especially using it to turn TVs on and off
  • edited May 2008
    By the way, do the DVD versions even need to have a splash screen? They don't require activation and are supposed to work offline, making the HTML splash rather useless. (Does the season 1 DVD have the splash screen? I don't remember and I can't test since I'm working on Linux right now =))

Even in Windows I don't use the splash screen for anything except clicking the "launch" button as soon as it pops up. ;)
    L33t Masta wrote: »
    I feel the need to attach this image taken from episode 5:
    linuxhellhk0.th.jpg
    I had expected the computers in hell to run BSD:
    Bsd_daemon.jpg
  • edited May 2008
    It's not that I demand that the games work on Linux or anything. I'm using Linux, and I'm not going back to windows. That I can't use certain software anymore is normal, and I accept that.

I'm already a happy customer now that I have season 1 running on my machine, since it is software I paid for (bought it when I was still running windows).

The stupid thing is, the games run great under linux. The graphics are as they are supposed to be, no hickups whatsoever. It just runs like a great game! But to get to the game, you have to get to the the HTML splash screen. And for season 1 the splash screen only shows a small textbox where you can enter the serial and press enter. The game crashes then, but the next time you start it you get a link presented showing: 'click here to run the game' when you click it it runs great. But I can only play the episodes I have a serial of, so I can't try season 2 in demo mode because I can't choose that option of the splash screen.

It's just one silly screen that is holding me back to try a season 2 demo and buying it.
  • edited May 2008
    You're better off running Windows than anything else anyway.

From how I see it, that's because of a vicious circle more than anything.
    People use Windows because most games and programs are developed for it, most games and programs are developed for it because most people use it.

I'm pretty sure if Mac or a Linux distro became the dominant OS, people would be better off using that.
  • edited May 2008
    THAiSi wrote: »
    It's not that I demand that the games work on Linux or anything. I'm using Linux, and I'm not going back to windows. That I can't use certain software anymore is normal, and I accept that.

I'm already a happy customer now that I have season 1 running on my machine, since it is software I paid for (bought it when I was still running windows).

The stupid thing is, the games run great under linux. The graphics are as they are supposed to be, no hickups whatsoever. It just runs like a great game! But to get to the game, you have to get to the the HTML splash screen. And for season 1 the splash screen only shows a small textbox where you can enter the serial and press enter. The game crashes then, but the next time you start it you get a link presented showing: 'click here to run the game' when you click it it runs great. But I can only play the episodes I have a serial of, so I can't try season 2 in demo mode because I can't choose that option of the splash screen.

It's just one silly screen that is holding me back to try a season 2 demo and buying it.

It's not Telltales fault. Talk to WINE. They wanted me to crack my legit version of Sam and Max Season 2 to be able to play it. That was the last straw. I just installed the SUPPORTED operating system Windows Vista back on my laptop and I have had no problems since. Here are the system requirements as per the website:

System Requirements:
    • Windows XP
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 256MB RAM
    • 32MB 3D-accelerated video card

If you're using an unsupported OS stop complaining and switch to the one that is supported if you want to play. If you don't want to then I guess you're not going to play. I don't see Telltale removing the screen anytime soon.
    Badwolf wrote: »
    From how I see it, that's because of a vicious circle more than anything.
    People use Windows because most games and programs are developed for it, most games and programs are developed for it because most people use it.

I'm pretty sure if Mac or a Linux distro became the dominant OS, people would be better off using that.
    I'm pretty sure that bolded part there is wrong.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm pretty sure that bolded part there is wrong.

So go on, explain your reasoning.
  • edited May 2008
    My reasoning? All hardware has official support for Windows. Most professional applications are made For Windows. More alternatives for one program are available on Windows. You don't have to install illegal files to play DVDs on Windows (The required $30 license you need to use a DVD Decrypter is included with Windows). You don't need to crack your legit games to play them on Windows. You don't need to fool around for hours on end to get programs and games working right on Windows. Windows always has top of the line features (Superfetch, DX10). Windows is far more useful all around than the Mac OS and Linux.

I used Linux for 30 days before deciding to go back to Windows. It's not something I would try again.
  • edited May 2008
    Okay, but I said earlier about the vicious circle being that the dominant OS gets the most support.

So if a Mac OS or Linux Distro theoretically became the standard, then most hardware would be made for that system, most professional applications would be made for that system, most alternatives for one program would be available on that system, you wouldn't have to crack legit games to play them on that system, etc.

So pretty much everything you stated (barring the DX10 and maybe the line about DVD decryption which I'm not too sure about) doesn't really apply to the argument.
  • edited May 2008
    Okay, but I said earlier about the vicious circle being that the dominant OS gets the most support.

So if a Mac OS or Linux Distro theoretically became the standard, then most hardware would be made for that system, most professional applications would be made for that system, most alternatives for one program would be available on that system, you wouldn't have to crack legit games to play them on that system, etc.

So pretty much everything you stated (barring the DX10 and maybe the line about DVD decryption which I'm not too sure about) doesn't really apply to the argument.

Why shouldn't the dominate OS get the support? it's obviously better than the alternatives or more people would be using them instead of it. Numbers don't lie. And you asked mme to state WHY it's better and I did. Why should Telltale waste time accomidating users that don't wish to use the needed software? It's your own decision. Either switch to the better OS and play the game, or be stuck without. Either way it's not going to make a big difference to Telltale because like only 0.5% of computer users use Linux.
  • edited May 2008
    Why shouldn't the dominate OS get the support?

Point out where I said it didn't. I'm being completely theoretical about another operating system coming out top.
    Either switch to the better OS and play the game, or be stuck without.
    This is the whole point I'm arguing. The only reason Windows is "better" is because it's the most used OS, and therefore has the most support. The only reason other OSs are "worse" is because they have less support, because not as many people use them because they have less support.
    The fact of the matter is people do use them. And they have their reasons. I doubt anyone who gets a non-Windows OS goes in with the sole reason being "Oh I don't want any of my programs and games to run from now on", it's because Linux is open source and hackable, Macs are more reliable, both have less viruses (although, to be fair, that's down to less "support" from virus makers) or maybe they just don't want to fund Microsoft, don't like the Windows operating system, or want to use software that won't run on Windows.

From where I'm standing, you're basically telling people "Stop trying to run this game on your OS because your OS sucks, use Windows instead".
    If the game worked on their OS, or people got it working on their OS, what's the problem? It saves people having to install or buy Windows, and it doesn't harm anyone.

For the record, I'm typing this wall of text on a PC running Windows XP. I have not got an Apple computer, I do not have Linux installed, and I have no want or need to use another OS.
    I have found plenty of programs though, that don't run on Windows, that I wouldn't mind using myself, but can't. So I know exactly where THAiSi is coming from with this topic.
  • edited May 2008
    Point out where I said it didn't. I'm being completely theoretical about another operating system coming out top.

This is the whole point I'm arguing. The only reason Windows is "better" is because it's the most used OS, and therefore has the most support. The only reason other OSs are "worse" is because they have less support, because not as many people use them because they have less support.
    The fact of the matter is people do use them. And they have their reasons. I doubt anyone who gets a non-Windows OS goes in with the sole reason being "Oh I don't want any of my programs and games to run from now on", it's because Linux is open source and hackable, Macs are more reliable, both have less viruses (although, to be fair, that's down to less "support" from virus makers) or maybe they just don't want to fund Microsoft, don't like the Windows operating system, or want to use software that won't run on Windows.

From where I'm standing, you're basically telling people "Stop trying to run this game on your OS because your OS sucks, use Windows instead".
    If the game worked on their OS, or people got it working on their OS, what's the problem? It saves people having to install or buy Windows, and it doesn't harm anyone.

For the record, I'm typing this wall of text on a PC running Windows XP. I have not got an Apple computer, I do not have Linux installed, and I have no want or need to use another OS.
    I have found plenty of programs though, that don't run on Windows, that I wouldn't mind using myself, but can't. So I know exactly where THAiSi is coming from with this topic.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. Linux is not supported so stop complaining. You don't expect Telltale to waste time supporting something that has little bearing on them, do you?
  • edited May 2008
    That is EXACTLY what I am saying. Linux is not supported so stop complaining. You don't expect Telltale to waste time supporting something that has little bearing on them, do you?

Hey Jake, if you're reading this, what OS is this site running on right now? ;)
    Jk. Anyway it is totally up to Telltale to choose whether they should support an OS or not. Nobody *expects* them to make their games run on linux. Especially since they run pretty well in Wine already. Windows happens to be dominant OS so that's what they focused on first, which is totally understandable. If you just want to play the 15 minute-ish demo I'd suggest maybe using a friend's computer. Then if you decide to buy the episodes, you can be sure that it will run on your own linux computer. I've played all of the Season 2 episodes in Ubuntu and they ran fine. If you don't know your serial, just check your Account page: http://www.telltalegames.com/mytelltale
  • edited May 2008
    The site is currently running on a combination of RHEL5 and CentOS 5 machines. We also use a variety of CentOS4 servers in the office, as well as a Mac or two.

Regardless of what we choose to run Apache on, though, we still don't support running our games in Linux. Sorry. If you can get 'em working, great, but you're 100% on your own.
  • edited May 2008
    THAiSi wrote: »
    please create an --simple-splash parameter option for the sam & max games,

with all options with simple text and button controls instead of a HTML interface.

this is good for the people with IE uninstalled and the wine users will be especially happy since the game runs great under linux, but the lame HTML splash screen is preventing us to start the game. Season one for example is running great in wine but the splash screen ruins it for the people who don't have a serial (because they cant start it in demo mode)

It would be awesome if you can update the downloaded versions of the episodes!

i don't want to be a part of this site! who issued this thread?!:confused:
    and i am not lame :mad:
  • edited May 2008
    By the way, the games as well as the activation work very well if you install Internet Explorer in Wine. The activation screen appears almost normally. Some of the alignment is just a bit off.
  • edited May 2008
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 256MB RAM
  • edited May 2008

This is getting completely beyond the point now.

I'm getting sick of the recaps now, but I want to get this straight. You said people are better off running Windows because it was the top OS and had the most support. I said "I'm pretty sure if Mac or a Linux distro became the dominant OS, people would be better off using that" because then they would have the most support.
    So where's the problem.

To be honest, I'm giving up here, I don't know if I'm missing something, or you're missing something, or we both are.
    At this point I think it's best if we just leave it at that, seeing as it's all just going in circles and neither of us are meeting each other at any point.

EDIT: One last thing, the topic's not asking for a Linux port, it's asking for the splash screen which requires IE to run to be replaced. There are people using Windows XP who have removed IE, and can't run the game just because of this, so will you stop drawing the "System Requirements" card every other post, because it's getting really old.
  • edited May 2008
    L33t Masta, Let this go please. This is needlessly becoming an OS war.
  • edited May 2008
    EDIT: One last thing, the topic's not asking for a Linux port, it's asking for the splash screen which requires IE to run to be replaced. There are people using Windows XP who have removed IE, and can't run the game just because of this, so will you stop drawing the "System Requirements" card every other post, because it's getting really old.

While we can certainly sympathize, we can't account for every thing someone does to their install of Windows, especially someone who alters the core of the OS and somehow removes the IE renderer entirely.
  • edited May 2008
    Personally,

1. I think all the systems are great, Mac is for people who want a reliable system (and average users), Windows for gamers (like me :p), and Linux for people who want work done FAST.
    2. I don't see how hard it is to get IE running in Wine, and to set Wine to run in Vista mode (or something :confused:).
    3. L33t Masta, you're becoming a Windows troll, and even though I prefer the OS myself, please stop.
    4. What moron removes IE if it's going to damage so many things in the OS, including the OS's core, and games like Sam and Max?
  • edited May 2008
    (The required $30 license you need to use a DVD Decrypter is included with Windows).

NOT ANYMORE! Now you have to pay for EXTRA SPECIAL PREMIUM WINDOWS!

notanymore.jpg
  • edited May 2008
    Maratanos wrote: »

notanymore.jpg

Can't you also buy the Premium Extra Special Windows? Or the Business Professional Expert Windows? Or maybe the Fantastical Magic Windows of Ultimateness? I'm having a hard time remembering which version has what. ;)
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2008
    Install your DVD software. IF that doesn't solve the problem, your DVD/PC manufacturer is a cheap *censored*.

Note that the lack of DVD decoding software thing is not related to Windows, but to some other industry...
  • edited May 2008
    1. I think all the systems are great, Mac is for average users, Windows for gamers (like me :p), and Linux for people who want work done FAST.

Excuse me while I respond to you from my Mac... :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    I'm also average, apparently, replying from my Mac.
  • edited May 2008
    Excuse me while I wait an hour for Firefox to compile in my Gentoo so that I can respond to you. ;)
    Linux is definitely not about getting things done fast. But I still love it. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Maratanos wrote: »
    was the dvd decoding thing ever part of windows?? i can't remember it was..
    tabacco wrote: »
    Excuse me while I respond to you from my Mac... :)
    Jake wrote: »
    I'm also average, apparently, replying from my Mac.

it's not like you guys need to know anything about the computers at your jobs...:rolleyes::D
  • edited May 2008
    Nope, as far as I'm concerned, DVD decoding was never a part of Windows.
  • edited May 2008
    Suppressing my desire to fuel another never-ending OS flame war, I'll just point out that you can use ies4linux to get the splash screen working under linux. It worked for me.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
  • edited May 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Install your DVD software. IF that doesn't solve the problem, your DVD/PC manufacturer is a cheap *censored*.

And see, that's precisely what I did, and that's precisely what they were complaining about.
  • edited May 2008
    All these people are trying to say is, get rid of the launch screen and just make it go straight to the game. I can see using the launch screen for activation, but after that the launch screen doesn't need to come up anymore. All you need to do is stop the launch screen from coming up, or make in run on Linux. Also you shouldn't have the launch screen on the disk version at all.
  • edited May 2008
    What about Autorun for the S1 DVD? Seems a lot like a launcher to me ;).
  • edited May 2008
    I meant that they don't need one for the disk, not that they don't have one for the disk.
  • edited May 2008
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 256MB RAM

I wish people would just read the requirements and stop complaining.
  • edited May 2008
    I feel like I already read this thread espially the last few postings.
    Post #39 and #21 read exactly the same.
    There is only one explaination or maybe two:
    1. I was caught in a timeloop.
    2. I'm in hell and it is Monday at 4:59pm
    but the second explaination has a wee problem: in hell i couldn't read something as enjoyable as the telltale forum
  • edited May 2008
    I wish people would just read the requirements and stop complaining.

I'm sure they wish you would read their posts and complain less yourself (the repetition doesn't really help either).

Do these issues present any other usability problems (regardless of platform)? Personally I find an interface with standard GUI controls to be more intuitive and accessible. I'm sure I'm not the only person who appreciates being able to use the keyboard to navigate launcher dialogs and the like.

I think the point of this thread was that should it ever be possible to enhance the launcher in a way that had either form controls or standard text links as well as the existing onclick image stuff, it would not only be of benefit to those running the games in the supported and expected environment; it would also be very appreciated by those who are doing everything they can to be able to play the games they love on the systems they love.
This discussion has been closed.