How to make life easier for non-IE users

2»

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Well, to be fair, he does have a point. Telltale has no obligation to do anything at all about this situation. The specs are clear, it says Windows. What you have to remember, though, is that specs aren't there to tell you if your game will run or not. Sure, they're a decent gauge of that. But they're really there to tell you if tech support is obligated to help you when and if it doesn't work. And it's true, in this sense, that Telltale has no such obligation.

However, I think you'll find that if Telltale did only what it was obligated to do, several things would be different. There might not be a forum. There might not be a blog. There probably wouldn't be those comics (I mean, seriously, how much money do you really think those make?). And even if there was a forum, odds are Jake, Tobacco and Emily wouldn't be among the most frequent users thereof. Heck, they probably would be working for other companies... it's not like there's any huge obligation on Telltale's part to have a significant dedicated web staff. But they do. Pretty much entirely for our own benefit, and it so happens that they're freakin' amazing at it, too. So I really don't think you have a grasp of what goes on in this company if you think that people who are advocating this change are complaining idiots who can't be bothered to read the system requirements, and should just shut up.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2008
    Lets keep this thread as a suggestion or an enhancement request for the launcher.
    There is no point in continuing the specs nonsense.
  • edited September 2008
    and so back to the original subject: i'll put in my vote for this suggestion to be realized. THAiSi didn't suggest replacing the splash screen entirely (it's obviously totally fine for the vast majority of people), but instead suggested adding a simpler alternative, accessible with a commandline option.

the target audience would be those who need a more accessible launcher interface (using the keyboard to navigate through standard GUI widgets), those who don't have the IE renderer available and maybe those who don't have a constant internet connection.

"L33t Masta", there is no need to remind me of the game's requirements -- you've done that enough already -- i'm aware that the games are aimed at those with fully functional Windows XP and later installations.

but this one small addition would make the procedure to get the games running under Wine in Linux (and Mac OS X most likely) much, much easier -- it'd whittle down the fairly long howto to just "install Wine, install the game by doubleclicking the icon, saying yes to the DirectX question, run the game with the --simple-splash option". everything else in there is a bunch of workarounds to make sure IE is installed and playing nicely alongside the game, with much scope for error.

and hey presto -- even if it's not officially supported, the game works out of the box on Linux (and probably Mac OS X), requiring only that Wine is installed. Telltale can respond to queries and say in an FAQ somewhere that "no, we don't support Linux or Mac OS X, but have heard you can easily get the game working in those OSs -- see this unofficial guide but don't expect help directly from us". more sales.
  • edited September 2008
    L33t Masta wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Stop complaining. This game, like all others, is meant to be run on a Windows machine. It's one of the requirements. Don't complain when it's listed. You're better off running Windows than anything else anyway.
    Ha! Better off? Why is that? Just shows how much you know. You wouldn't like it if Telltale Games made the next Sam & Max game for just Linux/Mac. You'll want to play it by any means necessary.
    linuxhellhk0.th.jpg
    Guess I'm there too
  • edited March 2009
    I really don’t want to start the »Linux is s...! No, Windows is s...! Baah, Mac OS is c...!« fire again. But I’d like to know, if newer Telltale games already have a skip parameter that lets you skip that launch screen if the game is already activated?
    I mean, I understand why it is there and what it is needed for and why it’s made the way it is. But when the game is activated it’s annoying to have to click »launch game« after I already launched the game [because I clicked the short cut in my start menu ;)]. For example, Dangeresque 3 [which I got with my W&G pre-order; so, I can tell for that game surely only (I didn’t try Ice Station Santa yet)] forces me to click a second time in-game to actually get to the game’s main menu after clicking »launch« on that splash screen.
    It’s kinda ridiculous to click once on that splash screen, click once in-game, click »new game«/«load game» until I can actually play—which is the only thing I want to do in fact. :/

And: yes, I use Windows XP; no, I don’t have IE un-installed; yes, the splash screen works fine and everything.—I just don’t want to click so often to get to the game’s main menu... :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2009
    Are you kidding? Stop complaining. This game, like all others, is meant to be run on a Windows machine. It's one of the requirements. Don't complain when it's listed. You're better off running Windows than anything else anyway.

You're better off running windows if you want to spend your time working on you broken operating system and less time actually doing stuff.

At work I have a whole IT department that can't keep printers and email and web/database servers running. At home my two macs have NEVER caused a problem.

And properly-made software RUNS ON ANYTHING.
  • edited April 2009
    I'd also like to be able to bypass the launch screen after the game has been activated. It's kinda pointless, all it does is display ads. I've tried to go after it in a hex editor, but I'm not good enough to pull it out without destroying the exe.
  • edited April 2009
    roughdraft wrote: »
    At work I have a whole IT department that can't keep printers and email and web/database servers running. At home my two macs have NEVER caused a problem.

Exactly. Because two computers at home is exactly the same as running a corporate network that has to deal with real security risks, data intergrity, and legal compliancy (and clueless users).
  • edited April 2009
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 256MB RAM
    • 32MB 3D-accelerated video card

I wish people would just read the requirements and stop complaining.

If you aren't going to contribute something, then don't post. All I see is a Microsoft fanboy attempting to ignite a flamethrowing war between Operating Systems.
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    This thread is way dead. Everyone go eat a cookie and think positive!
This discussion has been closed.