The AP screenshot. Render or in-game?

edited July 2008 in Wallace & Gromit
full20080724163721.jpg

Is it a rendered mockup, or could that be an in-game screenshot (dynamic shadows!)?

:eek:

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I'm guessing it's a Maya render like they did for the very early days of Sam & Max: Season 2.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    It's a render :) We'll have an in-game shot or two coming soon, though they too will have some touching up (including shadows). The game is still in early stages so not all of the tech behind it is nailed down.
  • edited July 2008
    Go for bump-mapping to make the characters look like the typical clay-figures from Aardman (fingerprints etc.). Did you know that Aardman uses special clay that already has the fingerprint-patterns on it? That shows how important that detail is...
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    You mean it's not actual claymation? Well, damn, there go my hopes for more Telltale Arts & Crafts blog posts!
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    It's a render, but it is the actual geometry from the game!
  • edited July 2008
    (PS. I managed to decode a bigger version of the pic.)

14808790kp3.png

When will Telltale have its shiny VIP section so we can get this is shamefully high-resolution?
  • edited July 2008
    Did I read you will be showing footage at Comic-Con? I assume it's also rendered, not true in-game?
    edited July 2008
    In-game isn't ready to be shown and picked at yet, so we're sticking with rendering our game assets for now. There's a cleaner version of the art up in the latest blog post, too. Woo!
  • edited July 2008
    wgrender.jpg
    :D
  • edited July 2008
    This thread is made up of ever-increasing versions of that image :)
  • edited July 2008
    I'll try to refrain from posting a photoshopped nightmare.
    edited July 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    This thread is made up of ever-increasing versions of that image :)

wgrender_bigger.jpg
  • edited July 2008
    Hmph. Mine is better...
  • edited July 2008
    Is it live, or is it Memorex?
  • edited July 2008
    Little did I expect Jake to be the one to one-up dg10050. But I am always up for a surprise.

That shot looks great. Despite it being a render, I think it still shows us what sort of flavor to expect from the game. I hope the flavor is grape!
  • edited July 2008
    /me waits for tabacco to rerender the image in red-blue stereoscopy and one-up Jake.

Please?

EDIT: Jake cheated. He just used the uncropped version of my image. :(
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2008
    Kedri wrote: »
    I'll try to refrain from posting a photoshopped nightmare.
    I'll do it!

EPILEPTIC SEIZURE WARNING!
  • edited July 2008
    Wow! I cannot wait to explore thier enviroments. This looks jaw-dropping
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I could be considerate and make you click a link to view my super (not) awesome image... or I could just stick it in the post.

link

(By sticking an animated gif into a post, I have become the forum poster type that I hate... *cry*)

edit: That got annoying pretty quickly. It has been edited to a link to spare others.
  • edited July 2008
    wallaceandgromit.png

ooooOOOOoooo
    edited July 2008
    That is also a render :)
  • edited July 2008
    BooooOOOOoooo!
  • edited July 2008
    So no Neverhood style graphics?

neverhood06.jpg

Oh well... :p

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with this licence.
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    It's a render :) We'll have an in-game shot or two coming soon, though they too will have some touching up (including shadows). The game is still in early stages so not all of the tech behind it is nailed down.

Will the Shadows be added to the engine, or why will they be touched up in those screenshots?
  • edited July 2008
    Render or not, the models and environment look spot on! :D
  • edited July 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Remember: Drugs are bad, kids.
  • edited July 2008
    Great graphics...
    edited July 2008
    Mirko wrote: »
    Will the Shadows be added to the engine, or why will they be touched up in those screenshots?

Tech is still up in the air/under the knife. We're aiming to get as close to that render as we can, and the game, even in its early state, is already looking more similar to that render than most people would expect.
  • edited July 2008
    That sounds really good!
  • edited July 2008
    wgrender_bigger.jpg

show off....
  • edited July 2008
    Those renders are awesome. Wow, I'm really excited to see some in-game screenshots
  • edited July 2008
    In my opinion, these graphics are very tightened.
  • edited July 2008
    They have 2 full time tighteners.
  • edited July 2008
    I still think they could tighten up the graphics a bit on level four.
  • edited July 2008
    TG is messing with us again! W&G is the new Killzone 2! News at 11!
    edited July 2008
    TG is messing with us again! W&G is the new Killzone 2! News at 11!

It says render in the filename :P

A real in-engine screenshot is featured on the website (Gromit in the kitchen).
  • edited July 2008
    A real in-engine screenshot is featured on the website (Gromit in the kitchen).

Just a tad disappointing, I must say. I've gotta admit, with both "Bone" and "Sam & Max" originating from comic books, it was okay to have the stylized 3D-look that the TTT provided. But with W&G you've gotta go full force to update the engine a bit, as those two were always very plastic and shot with real cameras. That means stuff like depth of field, shadows (and not just a dark blob on the ground) and at least some surface shaders (bump mapping? specular mapping?) should be implemented. That's of course only my unimportant opinion, but the rendered trailer gave some good ideas.

By the way, who encoded the trailer with fields? Nick??
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Like we said earlier, tech for the engine is still up in the air. The game will definitely look better than the screenshot in the kitchen (which I think already looks exquisite), but exactly which nifty features will actually make it into the final project has yet to be decided.
    edited July 2008
    Was the trailer encoded with fields? That was probably me, and I'll go fix it now, if true. Booo.

Also, listing off a bunch of standard rendering techniques and telling us we "have" to do them doesn't actually help anyone :( As I said, that shot is representative of very early in-progress tech. Sorry to disappoint you with a development screenshot.
  • edited July 2008
    Was the trailer encoded with fields? That was probably me, and I'll go fix it now, if true. Booo.
    Except for the logo at the end it seems so... or at least you've enabled deinterlacing.
    Also, listing off a bunch of standard rendering techniques and telling us we "have" to do them doesn't actually help anyone :( As I said, that shot is representative of very early in-progress tech. Sorry to disappoint you with a development screenshot.
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Of course I shouldn't be disappointed as that early in-engine shot is in no way representative. Still, I don't regard DOF or other stuff as "standard"... especially not in the adventure genre. I could've been more specific, but then I would just get kicked for getting too technical.

I guess my 3D-background (as in my job, not my environment ;) ) makes me picky when it comes to visuals, and W&G still impress me more than most purely 3D-animated stuff. And as the W&G-look is very specific, I just hope that the games do it justice... that's all.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.