The AP screenshot. Render or in-game?

2»

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Well, we'll be trying our best to make the game look as good as we can. We'll see where reality intersects dreams, but we haven't hit that point quite yet.
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Well, we'll be trying our best to make the game look as good as we can. We'll see where reality intersects dreams, but we haven't hit that point quite yet.

I think Wallace and Gromit is going to be a great opportunity to go all-out on the graphics, and maybe reward those of use with higher-end cards :D - especially because Strong Bad and Sam & Max were 2D before being put into games, whereas W&G have always had that 3D look.

One game I played recently which had fantastic graphics (even though they weren't a selling point) was Lego Indiana Jones, which added a lot of nice touches like reflections, high-level antialiasing and distance blur. I thought it was a decent effort because the game didn't really need to have great graphics (I mean, it's not really targeting the same people who play Crysis) but they were still awesome.
  • edited July 2008
    (erf, I don't know if I should use 'you' or 'they' to refer to telltale, so I used they)
    I'm curious about something : with 2 Sam & Max seasons and 2 Bone episodes, nobody's going to say Telltale isn't up to the challenge story-wise and character-wise ... and as Laserschwert, I believe the only real risk of this project is on the visual aspect : I've always been impressed by S&M animation (not so much by the rendering) but with W&G, I think TT is clearly playing in a whole new category now.
    I guess they chose this project knowingly, realizing that despite the constraints of episodic gaming, they'll have to deliver something tremendous ... so I'd like to know how this impact the balance of resources inside the project : are there more graphic programmers/engineer or is it pretty much the same as before ?
  • edited July 2008
    vimes wrote: »
    are there more graphic programmers/engineer or is it pretty much the same as before ?

Telltale, as a company, has been growing. I don't know the specifics but they've made several references to increasing the size of their team since a couple years ago.
  • edited July 2008
    http://www.telltalegames.com/company/ourteam might give you an idea of the current size :)
  • edited July 2008
    Where did Heather go to?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Heather is here, working on an MMO called Earth Eternal.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks for the info, Jake.

She'll be hard-pressed to drag me away from Club Penguin...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    are there more graphic programmers/engineer or is it pretty much the same as before?

On Wallace & Gromit specifically, though, we don't have any more programmers than we do on the other projects. We have a few core programmers who work on the engine, and they build the technology necessary to make the games look how they need to look. The same people who built the tech that makes Strong Bad look like a flat Flash cartoon are building the tech to make Wallace & Gromit look like clay. :)
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    The same people who built the tech that makes Strong Bad look like a flat Flash cartoon are building the tech to make Wallace & Gromit look like clay. :)

Glad to hear it... I have been incredibly impressed with the videos of SBCG4AP so far, and hope to be even further impressed when I get to see it live. So if those same guys are working on making W&G appear more like clay, I think we all have a lot to look forward to. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.