Strong Bad's Eyes Dissapeared?!

edited November 2008 in Game Support
Hey Telltale.

I'm at the point in SBCG4AP after you throw the Race to the End of the Race and ruin Homestar's life. When the scene cut to Strong Bad's house, Strong Bad's eyes disappeared!

Addendum:

I loaded the autosave, and Strong Bad's eyes were back> But then I talked to Homestar about himself, and Strong Sad's eyes where gone when he chimed in!

Comments

• edited August 2008
    That's a new one. Did this happen consistently? Can we get a screen shot.
  • edited August 2008
    http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/4315/081108142723eq7.png

There you go. I took it with the Snappy.
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    This looks like what we've seen when we were testing the minimum version of DirectX.

Could you please download and run the DirectX Web Installer? This should refresh and update to the latest DirectX components on your computer.

We included a check for the version 9.0c rev 27 version on DirectX, but the rest of the DirectX added some few minor graphics fixes. Doing the above installer should fix things.
  • edited August 2008
    Alright. I ran the installer, and it dropped a 5 MB file on me. So I've downloaded and installed that, and I'll post here if the problem shows up again.
  • edited August 2008
    Hi all. I have had the same problem. I noticed it during the next episode preview. I also noticed that homestar's eyes were gone in the menu screen. I will get a screenshot if I see it happening again. I will also try the Direct X update.

Edit: Ok..so far so good. I have started and restarted a few times and have not run into the bug. I will keep you posted. (Thanks Seg)
  • edited August 2008
    I have the same problem as well. This just happens randomly; not too often at all. Sometimes it is a particular eye animation (blinking) that will vanish. I have also noticed that the eyes will re-appear if I go to a different place on the map.

I downloaded the DirectX update. I'll see how that works out.
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    Just so everyone knows what's happening here in the most technical way possible: ;)

There are different DirectX components in the 9.0c line. Currently the Episode 1 installer checks if you have version '27' which is the minimum requirement. What we're finding is that the '28' version fixes things in a good portion of graphics cards, including the tech that runs the eye blinking.

For future episodes, I'm going to make the adjustment to detect version 27 and 28. Though we may decide to simply run the DirectX web installer regardless of what's exists (with notification and option not to run it of course). Right now the option is shown if you don't have '27' or launch the installer with the parameter: /DIRECTX=1

When we do the DVD, I already planned to include the full off-line version of the DirectX installer.

Course, if you ran the DirectX installer as standalone or if the Strong Bad installer prompted you to do it, you already have all the bits needed.
  • edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Just so everyone knows what's happening here in the most technical way possible: ;)

There are different DirectX components in the 9.0c line. Currently the Episode 1 installer checks if you have version '27' which is the minimum requirement. What we're finding is that the '28' version fixes things in a good portion of graphics cards, including the tech that runs the eye blinking.

For future episodes, I'm going to make the adjustment to detect version 27 and 28. Though we may decide to simply run the DirectX web installer regardless of what's exists (with notification and option not to run it of course). Right now the option is shown if you don't have '27' or launch the installer with the parameter: /DIRECTX=1

When we do the DVD, I already planned to include the full off-line version of the DirectX installer.

Course, if you ran the DirectX installer as standalone or if the Strong Bad installer prompted you to do it, you already have all the bits needed.

Shortly put, they did the thing and the game went "pwwwtf". Then the eye farries got mad because we stole their copyrighted sound so they stole Strong Sad's eyes.
  • edited August 2008
    Yay for vague versioning systems!

("Hey guys! I have an idea to piss a bunch of people off! Let's version our software with a number, a decimal, a letter, a month, a year, and then another number. But let's only show the customer the first number, decimal, and letter so they won't get confused or anything.")
  • edited August 2008
    I actually just got the issue again. =/
  • edited August 2008
    So weird...when I have the lack of eyes on the track, I get the word "JUMP!" rather than the left-click icon if I run the race. O_o
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    So weird...when I have the lack of eyes on the track, I get the word "JUMP!" rather than the left-click icon if I run the race. O_o

You should be getting both -- a left click icon with the word "jump" next to it :\
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, I realized that. I'm getting one or the other. =/

If I go to the track and I think all other areas BUT the photo booth, I don't have eyes. If I travel via the map to the photo booth I get my eyes back. If I travel back to the track, I lose the eyes. This is constant, this does not change.
  • edited August 2008
    Also, I have found that when I select a location on the map, it has a fairly good chance to "jump" to a seemingly random section of the map. This doesn't cause much trouble from a gameplay perspective because it doesn't matter where the objects on the map are, but it's an odd error and I'm getting it a lot.
  • edited August 2008
    I have to say I've run into the eyes disappearing deal like in the screenshot earlier.
    Unfortunately I'm also playing on a laptop (which has a GeForce 8600m GT). Most games specifically say that mobile chips are unsupported, but I thought I'd chime in still. Sam and Max runs perfectly on here, so I found this interesting.

I've had eyes and mouths disappear on a variety of characters at times, though not all at once. Strong Bad's eyes disappearing was obvious, but there were others. Strong Sad's eyes, Homestar's eyes, Marzipan's mouth would go missing when she spoke (like her "open mouth" state was gone) to name the big ones.

It appears to me that the game is not loading these decals correctly sometimes. Could be a DirectX or driver issue, but I'm not qualified to say for sure. For me I could resolve these by saving my game and doing either: exit to desktop and restart the application, or load the save-state again. There's no guarantees that everything would be back to normal, but it usually helped.

I've tried a few drivers and had similar results, so I'll try refreshing my DirectX to the August release and see what happens.
    I hope this description helps some.
  • edited August 2008
    I've had similar things happen. Bubs, Strongbad and Marzipan's eyes vanishing in one scene, then come back later or move to another location, the texture loads.

Same thing with a tiki torch flame at Marzipan's party too.
  • edited August 2008
    All of the characters' eyes are missing! Not only that, but the menu buttons that are supposed to be present in-game (inventory, etc.) are missing.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop with a Mobile AMD Sempron processor, 792 MHz, 448 MB of RAM. I'm running XP and I just updated my directX.
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    JCheste1 wrote: »
    I'm using an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop with a Mobile AMD Sempron processor, 792 MHz, 448 MB of RAM. I'm running XP and I just updated my directX.
    I'm afraid to say that the graphics card on that laptop (SiS Mirage 2) isn't supported. It's an integrated graphics card which cuts a lot of corners in order to run. Sadly, this makes for a lot of problems when running any 3D engine such as missing textures and such. Sorry for the bad news. :(
  • edited August 2008
    so what you still play the game so get this form away
  • edited September 2008
    I'm using directx 10 installed from that web installer.

After I won the race, Strong Bad's eyes disappeared. They came right back after I used the map to change locations. (I went to the photo booth)

Thanks!
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, despite running that updater, i still get a lot of things that don't show up on occasion...

Strong bads eyes were missing from his computer reflection, bubs eyes were gone, the rave lights were not showing up on the wall among other things. (changing locations does refresh it, but its still annoying)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    While we were at PAX, one of our computers started having the problem despite being up to date. As soon as our crate arrives back at the office, we will be able to do some analysis on it and hopefully figure out what the hell is going wrong. It's a pretty small subset of computers that still has the problem post-update, but obviously we don't want this hanging around through the end of the season.
  • edited September 2008
    Any luck on a solution to this? Episode 2 is coming out tomorrow and i don't want missing face characters in it as well.
  • edited September 2008
    Not that it interferes with gameplay, but in many scenes in the PC version the eyes of many of the characters disappear. This happened to me only with Coach Z in the first episode, but it is happening more and more with this latest installment. The problem is more than likely on my end with my piss-poor computer... anyway; screen shots!

I.jpg
    II.jpg
    III.jpg
    IIII.jpg
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    We're still trying to track this down. If you could post your system specs (esp DirectX version and video card info), that would help!
  • edited September 2008
    specs.jpg

specs2.jpg
    This help?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    That it does, thanks!
  • edited September 2008
    yeah, no problem.

I'm glad my computer is Logo'd... I don't know what it means, but it's a comforting thought.
  • edited September 2008
    This was so bizarre. I didn't bother running the DirectX updater bundled with Strong Badia The Free's installer because I never had any graphical issues with Homestar Ruiner. I start playing the game, and find Strong Mad's eyes were gone, and some of his mouth... poses didn't display. So I quit and reinstall just for the DirectX update, and it took care of the issue. I was able to play the game all the way through without a hitch, right up to the end of the credits when it takes you back to the main menu, when I'm shocked to find Strong Bad's eyes have suddenly vanished for the first time!
  • edited September 2008
    A log file, don't know why i didn't think of that sooner :o

Anyways, If it will help the cause here is the dump file from my DirectX diagnostic tool as well.

P.S. I have been having some issues with my drivers lately, my graphics occasionally go crazy on cold starts and BSOD the computer... don't know if this is related or not, but its worth mentioning
  • edited September 2008
    huh.jpg
    Been sitting on this for some time; It might just be the same problem... looks weird, though
  • edited September 2008
    I'm getting no eyes sometimes, but only after unlocking extended play for the first time. The same thing happened with episode 1. The eyes were fine playing through the game until unlocking extended play, but after that they'd come and go, and when starting a new game that game would then have the eyes problem.

I ran the Direct X updater included with Episode 1 before playing it.

Here's my specs, running Windows Vista Home Premium SP 1, 32 bit OS:

SystemSpecs.jpg
  • edited September 2008
    Any luck solving this? (no I am not going to let up)

P.S. it seems to happen more often when a computer is running slow (cause the bug happens all the time when I have other apps running in the background)
  • edited October 2008
    I also got the no eyes issue immediately after beginning extended play. I attached my dxdiag also.
  • edited October 2008
    The eyes! They do not exist!
    noeyes.jpg
  • edited October 2008
    Well, Ep. 3 launches today, will the crew be eyeless? or has the problem been identified?
  • edited October 2008
    And in the BotB glitch theater, we have...RETURN OF THE MISSSING EYES!
    Homestar1032008-10-2718-16-35-17.jpg

And after that, catch hremail #G...invisibility!
    Homestar1032008-10-2718-54-42-10.jpg

Both glitches were in Extended Play.
  • edited October 2008
    Homestar1032008-10-2718-16-35-17.jpg

Nah. Eye-sore Strong Bad eyeless. Heh.
  • edited October 2008
    I got the eyeless issue again as well, although briefly and quickly fixed. It hasn't come back yet, but I have had annoyingly disappearing mouths a bit more often.
  • edited October 2008
    I also found that the dialogue about the toilet paper boxes was silent after the second clicking.

Also, sometimes Strong Bad will stop moving, and I'll have to use the map to un-freeze him. Otherwise, he'll just stand there, not acknowledging my clicks. This has happened three times now.
This discussion has been closed.