Crash in SBCG4AP Ep. 2 (Wii)

edited November 2008 in Game Support
****Spoiler warning, just in case****

I was just playing Strong Badia the Free and exploring/messing around with stuff. I went to the photo booth, put a bunch of stuff on, and went to leave. As the screen was going black, it stopped with maybe 15 degrees or so left and froze. I couldn't get to the Home menu or anything except hold the console power button until the Wii turned off. This was all pretty soon after escaping the house-I did a bunch of stuff by the fence/Cheat and went to the car and then the booth. I can't remember all of the clothes, but I think it was basically all the Homestar stuff, the eyepatch, the champ belt, and the moustache.

I also found a couple of minor glitches. After digging up the shirt to the left of the fence, a random dug up spot appeared in front of the Cheat where nothing was buried. I can probably snap a shot and send it to myself if you want. Also, I leveled up before leaving the house (and thus before getting the map), and the Map icon appeared and looked clickable, but didn't do anything.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Tried it again, same clothes, and it happened again. I don't feel like going through and seeing if it's one piece in particular, but it was all the stuff I said earlier, except the moustache got taken off automatically when I put on the Homestar head. I did have it on first, though, in case that could be part of it.

Also, another minor glitch: if Strong Bad is doing one of his minor talks (where he doesn't stop moving) after putting on a piece of clothing and you make him move, he will glide without moving his feet while he is talking. It's kind of funny actually.

Edit: By the way, I'm not in widescreen, which I know was a problem for people with Episode 1. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edit 2: I just did it again with only the secret shirt, and it worked fine, so it most likely has to do with the clothing items I had on.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Hey CK, thanks for all of the info. If you can track down which clothes are giving you problems I would love you forever. I'll be looking into it on this end. Thanks!
  • edited September 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Hey CK, thanks for all of the info. If you can track down which clothes are giving you problems I would love you forever. I'll be looking into it on this end. Thanks!

OK, I'll see what I can do. I didn't feel like narrowing it down last night because I was more interested in actually playing, but at some point I'll try going piece by piece and see what crashes it.
    edited September 2008
    Actually, don't worry about it, I'll just track it down on our end. If something weird comes up or I have trouble, I'll shoot you a PM.
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, don't worry about it, I'll just track it down on our end. If something weird comes up or I have trouble, I'll shoot you a PM.

OK. I did try a couple things already, though. It's something involving the Homestar clothes (head, pants, shoes, and shirt), in some combination. It involves the head in some way, because I tried the head on its own and the pants, shirt, and shoes together, and both worked fine. When I added the head to the other three, though, it crashed again. So it seems like either the head and one or two others, or all 4 together. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out more concretely.
  • edited September 2008
    I had a similar freeze up; Strongbadia Shirt, Eyepatch, Camo pants, Knit cap, same 15 degree freeze up when changing back out. The next time I tried I made sure I took everything off first. >__<

I also had it freeze on me this morning just after saving (atleast it said it had been saved; I hope it didn't crash WHILE saving); I had had my King defeated in the castle version of the G&G board and needed to save to take off.
  • edited September 2008
    I also had it freeze on me this morning just after saving (atleast it said it had been saved; I hope it didn't crash WHILE saving); I had had my King defeated in the castle version of the G&G board and needed to save to take off.
    I found a couple more crashes in the Throne Room, one of them like the one mentioned above. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be caused by something in particular. The first time, I went through everything, played the board game for a while trying to get all of the interactions, and when I went to quit so I could save, it crashed.

Next, I rushed through most of the dialog and stuff, tried to save before playing the board game, and it crashed as it was saying "Game Saved". Unfortunately, it didn't actually save yet.

Then, I tried again, saving periodically. It was fine until I played the board game again. I went straight for the hat, quit, and tried to save, and I got the crash as it was saving again.

Edit: Just tried again, went for the hat, quit, and this time it crashed as it was going back to show Strong Bad.

Edit Again: I gave it one more shot, and it quit when I tried to save again. Then, I just decided to finish it and go for a low score or whatever later. I beat the game, and just after the KOT said "Ah, crap" it crashed again.
  • edited September 2008
    Sorry for all the replies, but I keep getting crashes. It's frustrating, partly because I just want to beat the game, but mostly because there doesn't seem to be anything causing it. It just seems to feel like crashing. I tried saving in a different slot, but that crashed too. Then, one time I tried to quit after the first turn because I didn't like what happened, and it didn't even get out of the screen before crashing.

Thankfully, I just was able to beat it, get the hat, and get through the credits without it crashing, but I just hope you can figure out what's causing the problem, because it's very annoying.

Oh, and another bug I found: If the Cheat attacks Homestar on the Open Field (or whatever the beret one is), it will show him losing and moving back a square, then show him getting the hat, but when it goes back to the board, he is on the Open Field again standing with Homestar.
  • edited September 2008
    Hello Telltale staff,

I'm experiencing a major game ending crash that is preventing me from finishing Episode 2.

After I complete the Maps and Minions game, the cutscene between Strongbad and The king of town begins. Right after strongbad leaves, when the king realizes he's been tricked, he says "Oh Crap"
    The moment he says this, my Wii totally locks up, preventing me from completing the game.

I've tried the 4:3 setting trick (I always use widescreen) that helped with the Coach Z glitch in Ep. 1, that didn't work. I've tried Erasing and re-downloading the game again from the Wii shop channel, that didn't work. I've tried to skip through the cutscene fast by mashing the B trigger, and that didn't work.

I've re-played the M&M game a good 6 times, hoping it would finally work, but it crashes each time in the same place.

As you can imagine, I'm not happy at all. I've payed 10$ for a game I can't complete due to a major bug, and that's not right. So far I've loved the first 2 episodes and I want the other 3, but only If I can actually complete the games without bugs stopping me.

Thanks,

-Chris Coates
  • edited September 2008
    Exactly the same problem and also tried reinstalling but it still freezes my wii up. the bug has something to do with u sending that email to the king because after that the wii froze while i was trying to save. HELP!!!!!!
    edited September 2008
    Sorry for the lack of replies on our end, but I assure you we are looking into the issue. Do you know anyone else with the game? I would be curious to see if you could take your save file to their system and see if the crashes are happening there. As for the Cheat/Homestar bug, we unfortunately shipped the game off to Nintendo and then found the bug a few days later. Also, check your PMs.
    edited September 2008
    Ok, this sounds like it is actually two separate issues here. Evil-C, your game is crashing right as it attempts to load the end credits, so you are actually at the end of the game. I've had one other person reporting this issue and we are looking into it right now.

Amos, when exactly is the game crashing? Only on save, or is it consistently crashing somewhere else?
  • edited September 2008
    Ok, this sounds like it is actually two separate issues here. Evil-C, your game is crashing right as it attempts to load the end credits, so you are actually at the end of the game. I've had one other person reporting this issue and we are looking into it right now.

Doesn't it autosave the game at that point too, though (for Extended Play)? When my game crashed after the "Oh crap" I don't remember seeing the "Game Saved" thing pop up, but I could have just not noticed it. I'm just thinking maybe it could still be a saving issue, but that's just speculation.
  • edited September 2008
    It crashes where Evil-C said it does but I was just saying thats not where it started. The game froze at "oh crap" so every time I restarted it, it went to the last time I saved the game which was when I was in the computer room but had not yet sent the email. So next time the game froze and I restarted it; I wanted to send the email to the king so I wouldn't have to redo it if it froze again but when I tried to save, it froze.
    I was just trying to help u pinpoint where it begins. I hope u understood this because it doesn't sound right to me and that is the only crash I've noticed.
    edited September 2008
    Oh ok, I understand now. Thanks for the help!

As for the autosave, I'm pretty sure it doesn't autosave until after the credits, but before the episode preview.
  • edited September 2008
    I suppose I should also add that just like Big Amos 19, my game has also locked up after I sent the e-mail to the KOT and tried to save. I noticed it after I had run into the "oh crap" crash. While that was annoying, I'm far more concerned with the bug I originally mentioned that's preventing me from completing this fun and hilarious game.
  • edited September 2008
    Hello Telltale Games,

I am absolutely loving Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. I have already bought and completed the first episode for the Wii, and I am now playing through the second episode for the Wii, Strong Badia the Free.

Unfortunately I'm stuck due to a glitch - this is the fourth time in a row this has happened so I wanted to ask if there is a fix for this. Everytime I win at the Maps and Minions game and get the KoT back to his castle, the game freezes right after the cutscene (right after Strong Bad says "I wonder if my new Limozeen game has come out" and the KoT realizes he's been duped). It always freezes at that exact point.

I've also noticed that if I try to save right before the Maps and Minions game (that is, after sending the KoT the tax email), the game will also freeze.

If it changes anything (and I doubt it), every time I've beaten the Maps and Minions game it was with what I believe is a perfect score (8 turns)

Oh. Also, the game freezed for me when I tried to leave the Photo Booth early in the game (I was still wearing a costume; it does not freeze if I take off all of the costume pieces before hand).

And, I'm not in widescreen mode. I bring it up because I heard there were some glitches with that in episode 1.

Please let me know what I can do to get around this glitch (preferably without losing saved data). Thank you.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, and I am currently saved in the KoT's throne room and did everything to do there except send the tax email.
  • edited September 2008
    *bump*

Looks like I'm not the only one suffering from this bug.

Has any progress been made here?
  • edited September 2008
    yeah, I can't beat the game- it freezes up every time I've beaten the M and M thing and the king says "oh crap." I have deleted and re downloaded multiple times and am just about out of patience, so hopefully this gets addressed soon. At this rate, I will not be buying the other episodes.
  • edited September 2008
    When I win the maps and minions game, the of town appears and then my game freezes. This has happened twice. What do I do? How do I find out how the game ends?!?
  • edited September 2008
    Yea game freezes on me if I try to save after the board game trying to get the king back into the castle. :(
    edited September 2008
    Hey all, we are still looking into this problem. I'm afraid I don't have much I can tell you at the moment.
  • edited September 2008
    I have this issue too. I was playing cave girl squad in extended mode, when I exited. I went to bleak house to play some mathkickers, but right before I opened the door to the house, the game started Auto Saving, and it froze and I had to hard reset the game! And now, whenever I try to save, it freezes.
    Out of curiosity, is normal to leave the photo booth with a costume on? Because that happened, and now I'm worried that it has something to do with the crash. I am wearing:
    that brown mustache
    no shirt
    those army pants

cheeseboy said something about the mustache in his post, so I think it has something to do with this freeze.
    EDIT: I just removed all of strongbad's costume parts and tried to save again. It worked perfectly. Apparently, it has to do with the costumes.
  • edited September 2008
    Any progress on the post-Maps and Minions, "aw crap" glitch?
  • edited September 2008
    Yes I'd like an update as well.
  • edited September 2008
    Aw crap, indeed.
  • edited September 2008
    The game freezes for me too after the Maps & Minions game.

I also did have it freeze in the photo booth upon exiting. I don't remember the details of the costume. I can live without that part of the game though.

When it freezes, I can't get to the Wii Menu, the reset button does not work, and the power button does not work.
  • edited October 2008
    Anything yet Will?
  • edited October 2008
    I am also having the exact same problem on my Wii. Throne room, "Aw, crap", freezes.

I'll watch here for an update as well. Thank you for attending to this!
  • edited October 2008
    Hey all, I've been playing through the game as well, but my game has had its share of crashes too.

1) My computer did a "Physical Dump of Memory" right as it shows the picture of the Homestarmy and the "You can do it!" or whatever it says there. I played it again and it worked, but it was a bit strange.

2) This has happened twice in a row now. My Computer did another "Dump" after I beat the M&M game, but not when the KoT says "oh crap", but when it says Victory when you've gotten him back to the Castle space in M&M. It dumps around 5 seconds after it says victory.

Any Suggestions?
    -heissocooldg
  • edited October 2008
    Well, I finally got mine to stop freezing in the throne room on the Wii. I copied both the channel and save data to my SD card, then everything ran fine.
  • edited October 2008
    You copied? But you can't run the game from the card...
  • edited October 2008
    I know! But after I copied, it worked. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me either.
  • edited October 2008
    I have a crash issue with the game too... I'm in extended mode and since I've found the last flag (The Cheat one) and one of the TGS card (behind the fish in the castle) each time I'm trying to go inside my house, the game freeze in Auto Save which prevents me from goind further in extended mode. I have no costumes on, my Wii is running in widescreen mode.
  • edited October 2008
    I have the same issue in extended play going to Bleak House. It crashes on the autosave. Saving manually also crashes on this same file. Either way, I get the "game saved" message on the screen, but after power cycling the Wii, I see the save file wasn't actually updated. I can provide a copy of the save if that would help.
  • edited October 2008
    Are you going to launch epis. 3 before clearing up this mess???
  • edited October 2008
    So Telltale, any updates on this problem yet?! I'd really like to finish this game, and I'm not buying 3-5 until this is resolved.

To DoubleOzero,

Heh, that's cool, yet also odd. I already had my game copied to SD card at the time of the freezing, so looks lke that won't work for everyone. :(
  • edited October 2008
    I had no problem with Episode 1, but Strongbadia the Free consistently freezes at the endgame, right after the King of Town says "aw, crap."
  • edited October 2008
    I was looking at the article for this game on the HRwiki, and I noticed this in the glitches section:

"Sometimes, when in Extended Play, attempting to save to Slot 3 will result in the game freezing, buzzing and require a hard reset."

I was thinking this issue could be related to the issue people in this thread were having, because it would make sense in my case. My brother used Slot 2 and had no issues, but I had Slot 3 when I had all my issues. Was anybody else in this thread using Slot 3? That could help Telltale narrow down the source of the problem if that's something everybody has in common.

I don't know why it would have an issue during autosave, since that's Slot 1 by default, but maybe it happens if you are using a file loaded from Slot 3.
This discussion has been closed.