Hugh Bliss costume

edited December 2008 in Sam & Max
So my friend's dentist's wife's brother's dog's previous owner's cat's sister's owner's dentist wants to be Hugh Bliss for Halloween and okay it's me, and I'm doing pretty well considering I have no money and am shopping at thrift stores, but I'm pretty stuck for something to use as that jacket he wears, since I failed fashion school and can't identify clothes and am incredibly picky. So what exactly is the jacket he wears or does anyone know the kind of thing I might be able to use as it?

Remember, my entire happiness rests on this jacket/coat thing, so ask yourself, do you really want to make me cry on Halloween?

And ask yourself this... Do you want to be able to laugh at me if I post pictures later? Because I won't if I can't finish :(

EDIT: Oh yeah and in case anyone's interested everything I got so far had to be from the women's section, surprise surprise, so I'm not fussy on what it ends up being lol

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I think all you need is a completely white jacket. I don't know what to do about the tie, though.
  • edited October 2008
    I've got something I think works for the tie, I just need the jacket. It's really hard to find anything though and I left it too late to use ebay since the only seller with a decent jacket that I've found is from the UK and I'm in the US currently
  • edited October 2008
    I've seen some male movie stars wear all white clothes, but they might be expensive.

As an art student, I have learned that unique costumes can be made as long as you have the right products. You could find a white tie, and have it tye-died with rainbow colors; and you can find a white wig or make your own with artificial hair found in some craft or design stores.
  • edited October 2008
    Hmm. Looking at screenshots, it's a pretty simple jacket, no buttons or anything. You could probably find a large sweatshirt or something that's the right color, cut the cuffs off the sleeves, and cut it open down the front. Or something.
  • edited October 2008
    I've got some white pants, a blouse(!) for under the jacket, a hippie bandana from the halloween store which works surprisingly well as the neck tie, and I've got some white hair spray dye thing and some stuff that will hopefully dye my facial hair white, otherwise I'm sure I can find fake facial hair. I may even go barefoot so I'll have tetanus shots on standby for when I step on rusty nails.

Simple jackets are stupidly hard to find, but I think I'm gonna try to find a sweatshirt or something similar and cut it up a little. That idea seems like the only one that's gonna work.

Feel free to keep helping though, I'll keep checking up.

At least this is going better than my Sam costume.
  • edited October 2008
    It's to bad you can't change your body into freaky, shape-shifting bacteria.
  • edited October 2008
    Please make a note of what people guess your costume is supposed to be. I'm looking forward to that.
  • edited October 2008
    Will your face be blue, red, or green?
  • edited October 2008
    vyperspit wrote: »
    It's to bad you can't change your body into freaky, shape-shifting bacteria.

Or CAN I? ... Yeah I can't unfortunately. I was considering finding a way to do that until I realised it was scientifically impossible though.
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Please make a note of what people guess your costume is supposed to be. I'm looking forward to that.

Check. If anyone guesses crazy televangelist then they're close, but I'm guessing some kind of Santaman or something.
    Molokov wrote: »
    Will your face be blue, red, or green?

Burnt sienna! Burnt sienna!

I think I'll have to go with the regular white freakish hue though.

On an actually related note, I have got hold of some kind of white blazer thing. I'm being told it's a "vintage jacket". It was clearly worth all 12 dollars, okay I'm being told 13, to completely ruin by safety pinning it to look more Hugh-ish.

But apparently I look almost like Hugh Bliss so it's all good!

Thanks for the suggestions and random whatnot.
  • edited October 2008
    I'm sure it will be magical, fabulous and all those other things :)
  • edited October 2008
    Or CAN I? ... Yeah I can't unfortunately. I was considering finding a way to do that until I realised it was scientifically impossible though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEgTcullKJI
    Batman would never pervert the laws of science and nature, you could try this.
  • edited October 2008
    If it's done before the appropriate time tomorrow, try entering it into the contest!
  • edited October 2008
    Unfortunately I can't watch youtube until I'm sufficiently unlazy to find out why it's not working and then fix it, but since I'm not actually at home for a couple more weeks I'm not online enough.

Wait there was a contest? Why don't I check this site ever?

And is it still today?!

EDIT: Okay I have to go do that now, even though I won't win I'm gonna go try it.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Yes, send in a picture for the contest! Your entry has as good a chance as any of them. :D
  • edited October 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Yes, send in a picture for the contest! Your entry has as good a chance as any of them. :D

HEY!

You give some respect to my entries!

(there cool too, you know...)
  • edited October 2008
    Emily wrote: »

I hope this isn't true and the good ones are the ones that really have a chance.
  • edited October 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »
    I hope this isn't true and the good ones are the ones that really have a chance.

Lmao that was actually the point I was going to make but I didn't post it anyway :P
  • edited October 2008
    http://www.cosplay.com
    (if you are trying for NEXT year)
  • edited October 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »

how do you know his won't be good?
  • edited October 2008
    I didn't say that it wouldn't, I was only referring to Emily's rather silly comment. If it's the most amazing Hugh Bliss costume ever, then of course it should win :)
  • edited October 2008
    So I went trick or treating yesterday dressed as Hugh Bliss and after much delibewration I decided not to wear any shoes, or socks, or flip flops or any foot covering. And it was cold. And there was gravel. But it was okay after my feet went too numb to actually feel pain. Eventually they were even numb enough to skip merrily on the road for a few seconds. I think only one person actually tried to guess what it was, but I stopped him on "from that movie..." since it was obviously way out.

My sick, sick aquaintances don't know Sam & Max either :(

I got at least 250 "Oh my god where are your shoes?" comments, you know, as if I HAD shoes and accidentally lost them halfway through trick-or-treating. I think I'm forever immortalised as the guy who trick or treated with no shoes now. Because no one knew what I was. Except that I got told it was original. :D

My feet hurt. But I was happy with the costume anyway.
  • edited October 2008
    Future costume tip: flesh-colored socks :)
  • edited October 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Future costume tip: flesh-colored socks :)

That's no fun! And is inaccurate to the costume! I couldn't let the inaccuracy rise above a certain level (such as how impossible it is to make my hair WHITE) otherwise I would've just given up.

And my feet will be stronger for it in the future.

Also, on another note, it occurs to me that I never put Halloween Contest in the subject line when I entered the contest, does that mean I didn't get in?
  • edited October 2008
    So I went trick or treating yesterday dressed as Hugh Bliss and after much delibewration I decided not to wear any shoes, or socks, or flip flops or any foot covering. And it was cold. And there was gravel. But it was okay after my feet went too numb to actually feel pain. Eventually they were even numb enough to skip merrily on the road for a few seconds. I think only one person actually tried to guess what it was, but I stopped him on "from that movie..." since it was obviously way out.

My sick, sick aquaintances don't know Sam & Max either :(

I got at least 250 "Oh my god where are your shoes?" comments, you know, as if I HAD shoes and accidentally lost them halfway through trick-or-treating. I think I'm forever immortalised as the guy who trick or treated with no shoes now. Because no one knew what I was. Except that I got told it was original. :D

My feet hurt. But I was happy with the costume anyway.

aren't you going trick or treating a 2 days early? in my day we went on halloween not 2 days earlier
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    That's no fun! And is inaccurate to the costume! I couldn't let the inaccuracy rise above a certain level (such as how impossible it is to make my hair WHITE) otherwise I would've just given up.

And my feet will be stronger for it in the future.

Also, on another note, it occurs to me that I never put Halloween Contest in the subject line when I entered the contest, does that mean I didn't get in?

We got the entry. Don't worry. :)
  • edited October 2008
    what color hugh bliss are you going to be i vote on the blue one. lol
  • edited October 2008
    patters wrote: »
    aren't you going trick or treating a 2 days early? in my day we went on halloween not 2 days earlier

I dunno, where I live the tradition is to be about 17-20 yeas old, a chav, and knock on people's door with no costume and asking for money to buy crack cocaine, but I'm in Pennsylvania right now and they have organised trick or treating days so kids don't get run down by cars by people who think they're monsters and I guess so people can at least predict when a bunch of snot nosed kids and people dressed as Hugh Bliss are going to kick down their door demanding candy and pretzels. It's a crazy age we live in now.

Also, I'm going again tonight (though I've been told to wear shoes)
    Jake wrote: »
    We got the entry. Don't worry. :)

So I guess your email server just filters out herbal remedies and "HELLO MR. CONTEST YOU ARE THE LOTTERY WINNER." Just wanted to make sure though, I'd cry if I missed it :P
  • edited November 2008
    Got any pics?
  • edited November 2008
    My complete selfconciousness means I am only posting this one picture of me with my girlfriend until I get complete blind praise (possibly including the word 'genius' as many times as possible, maybe 'handsome' too) for now. Though I'll probably just edit in the links to the ones I actually submitted later or something.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Calavera1138/hughscarecrow.jpg
  • YitYit
    edited November 2008
    You don't look crazy enough.

All in all, not bad. I like it.
  • edited November 2008
    Why you handsome devil, that's a fucking INGENIOUS costume!

The true, and pure genius of its overall design, it's just incredible!

....actually, the costume below the neck is great. But the head and face look...old? Like Hugh Bliss was actually human and aged a good 50 years. But it may just be that picture....perhaps the others lack this problem? ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Did you post the video publicly? That was the best/scariest part.
  • edited November 2008
    The creepiness factor is definitely there.
    Good job!
  • edited November 2008
    I am impressed. The tie-dye deftly dodged the problem of finding his shirt
  • edited November 2008
    Why you handsome devil, that's a fucking INGENIOUS costume!

....actually, the costume below the neck is great. But the head and face look...old? Like Hugh Bliss was actually human and aged a good 50 years. But it may just be that picture....perhaps the others lack this problem? ;)

Darn you, why did I have to promise to post the other pictures if you said that :P

The hair was difficult to do because I have dark brown hair and so it's impossible to colour it white without bleaching it or ruining it in some way, so I had to make do with white hair colour spray from Wal-Mart which ended up making it look grey :( But it was the best I could do on short notice. The camera makes it look bad though :P
    Zootch wrote: »
    I am impressed. The tie-dye deftly dodged the problem of finding his shirt

I didn't think the rainbow thing was a shirt, I thought it was a tie or something. Unless you mean the white shirt thing under his jacket, which I don't think is visible in any picture because the jacket kept pulling over it... I was wearing a blouse under there though.
    Jake wrote: »
    Did you post the video publicly? That was the best/scariest part.

I only put them on my photobucket which is private, I don't want my literally thousands upon millions of youtube subscribers to see an email notification of it LOL

But... Yeah I'll post them here. They're only a few seconds long each.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Calavera1138/?action=view&current=100_0439.flv Here's the final one...

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Calavera1138/?action=view&current=100_0438.flv

This one's funnier though.
    I got freaked out by a couple of cars coming down the road and legged it LOL

Oh and finally here's the picture my girlfriend is forcing me to post even though I did the pose really badly. But I emailed it to the contest so what the hey.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Calavera1138/100_0435-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone. All in all I dont think it was bad for like a week of thrift store shopping :P
  • edited November 2008
    Aside from the whole 'oldness' thing, It's ingenious.

You've found your true Bliss. You didn't need to leg it! Just rainbow-poof away. Magic is easy with prismatology
  • edited November 2008
    Daxxglax wrote: »
    Aside from the whole 'oldness' thing, It's ingenious.

You've found your true Bliss. You didn't need to leg it! Just rainbow-poof away. Magic is easy with prismatology

Well I worked out how Hugh managed the bare foot thing after walking two trick or treat sessions barefoot and coming back mostly in pain. Though the second time was okay until I got lead across a lawn covered in pine cones/needles that everyone "forgot" to remind me to avoid. No wonder Hugh always rainbow poofed :(
  • edited November 2008
    I love the costume... but I must say, the skipping is a bit much. :P

Great work though!!!
  • edited November 2008

Good gosh. That was funny! Maybe it is best not to have the videos on Youtube. I would fav it. XD

About the hair, wigs are the way to go. You could easily and cheaply buy one on eBay, style/trim it, pin up your real hair (you may have to shave the nape of your neck), and voila! Fast (after the initial set up) and no mess hair. I'm not sure what to do with your eyebrows and mustache, though...

I really like your costume (and, btw, I like your girlfriend's costume too!). Coming to Comic Con next year? ;)
  • edited November 2008
    Why you handsome devil, that's a ****ing INGENIOUS costume!

We can't have swearing on a live forum. :mad:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.