Morals - Non TWD related

edited May 2014 in Forum Games
This is just a little situation I was thinking up. It would be nice to see different opinions on the matter and how different people would react.

You are in a hostage situation. The captor is telling you to kill 3 innocent people and each 3 people you kill he will release one of your family. You can choose which member he releases each time. You have 2 kids and a wife/husband. Would you kill all 12 people to get you and your family out of custody?

I personally would kill all 12 because nothing is more important than family. I take great value in my own life also and I'm not willing to give that up to make the 'moral' choice. Could you break your morals for this and your humanity?

Comments

• This is a tough choice but if we had to kill the other hostages could we use saltlicks?
  • id kill the oldest people of the majority to get my kids back. So 6 people. That's it.
  • For me its all or nothing, i would either leave my family or save all of them, i would feel so bad if i only took 1 or 2 and left the other(s) behind, but id probably kill all of them to save my family
  • As much as I may sound like a scumbag, I'd kill all twelve. In my mind, I am way more important than other people, so I'd rather save people that are important to me than random strangers.
  • Nothing scumbag about it. It's basic human nature to protect themselves and people close to them.
    Spooch posted: »

As much as I may sound like a scumbag, I'd kill all twelve. In my mind, I am way more important than other people, so I'd rather save people that are important to me than random strangers.

• Looks like Kennysucks just went full Kenny.
    Kennysucks posted: »

For me its all or nothing, i would either leave my family or save all of them, i would feel so bad if i only took 1 or 2 and left the other(s) behind, but id probably kill all of them to save my family

• Let's make it harder.

Let's say the setting is the same, but, you know who the hostages are. They are: your parents, your numerous siblings (six people together), and other family members you've been close to in the past (uncles, cousins etc).

The clock is ticking.
  • I'd have to take out the close relatives. With my parents have raised me and I've been brought up alongside my siblings. I would feel immense regret and I might just have to take out the 9 and let my family escape. I don't think I could bring myself to take them out for my own life and selfish needs.
    Lingvort posted: »

Let's make it harder. Let's say the setting is the same, but, you know who the hostages are. They are: your parents, your numerous sibl

• Hard decision ...
  • Damn this is hard...

First I would ask my family if it's okay if we all die to save those twelve people. Regardless, if they say no I won't listen, and I hope they would understand my decision. And you said the other hostages are innocent, so I believe that they must be good people correct? But will he torture us later on? Could he continue to do the same thing until only a select few survive? I'm not afraid to die in this situation, and I would sacrifice myself, and my family to save the majority. But there should be another way. If I could I would try to convince the captor, or fight back in any way I can.
  • He's not going to torture anyone. Just a quick bullet to the head. You can't fight back or anything, he's simply given you a gun and you are locked in a room with these people. Once you have done the deed he will let the others that you haven't killed go but will kill you and any family members that you haven't kill for. If you have then he will bag you up and put you in a truck, driving you to a safe location.

Damn this is hard... First I would ask my family if it's okay if we all die to save those twelve people. Regardless, if they say no I

• I'm glad it has proved difficult.
    Alive_Clem posted: »

Hard decision ...

• edited May 2014
    Ah okay. Well my answer would be the same. Need to save more people. My family members would probably kill the innocent people but I wouldn't. I would tell the family member that had the gun to kill me, to save three. At least I could die saying I saved more then I killed. I'm not proud of my answer, but it's what I think.

Good thing this will never be a real life scenario. Well I hope it won't...

Edit: Damn... Look's like I'm the only one!

He's not going to torture anyone. Just a quick bullet to the head. You can't fight back or anything, he's simply given you a gun and you are

• Save my family at the cost of the 12 strangers. Most of them would have done the same in my position.

Mind you I wouldn't do it lightly and I'd probably never forgive myself, but I'd do it.
  • It would depend if the 12 people were young or not.

I'm glad it has proved difficult.

• I'd probably kill the 12 and all 12 of them would probably do the same in my position. It's a general understanding that all human beings have, for the most part. We're not built to be heroes at the expense of people we love.

However, the 'others' having some children would change things. You always save the kids because they've barely gotten a chance to live.
  • Seems like the logical thing to do in this situation. I wouldn't hold myself accountable for the actions of a madman. It's not my fault I was in that situation and like you said most people would do the same in your shoes.

Save my family at the cost of the 12 strangers. Most of them would have done the same in my position. Mind you I wouldn't do it lightly and I'd probably never forgive myself, but I'd do it.

• Damn good thinking here Mashiro, this is tough...

Thought about this for a while- I would probably kill all 12 people to save my family. I figure most likely the 'take me and let my family go' solution wouldn't work. We know nothing about the strangers and also how do we know if all 12 strangers are innocent ya know? Some could be criminals, some could be a person in the wrong place wrong time. Like Raging_Blades said, maybe our kidnapper will torture us and/or the other hostages so killing them COULD be mercy killing?- if the captor will let us go after killing them. *shrugs* Tough situation for sure.
  • Take a look at my "improved" situation, too.
  • Nice thinking. I'm pretty sure that most of us are going to save our families and for good reasons. I can see where you are coming from, it's not easy but family always comes out on top

You've earned the achievement: Family man.
    Rexarik posted: »

Damn good thinking here Mashiro, this is tough... Thought about this for a while- I would probably kill all 12 people to save my family

• I would have to save my family. It wouldn't be an easy decision to go through with, but it's what I would do.
  • Hehe Thanks. But ya you're right, even if our families aren't the 'best' in the world we will still most likely protect them at any cost. It makes me wonder- if the hostage situation was turned around, you being one of the 12 captives and if it was a random family that had to kill you and the rest of the people- would you want them to kill all of you so they could get out safely or somehow try to save yourself?

Nice thinking. I'm pretty sure that most of us are going to save our families and for good reasons. I can see where you are coming from, it's not easy but family always comes out on top You've earned the achievement: Family man.

• Holy Shit!! I'm laughing so hard here! HAHAHAHA
    Saltlick123 posted: »

This is a tough choice but if we had to kill the other hostages could we use saltlicks?

• Of course not but I wouldn't hold it against them. They are just doing what I would of done in that situation and they are looking out for their family which is completely understandable but I wouldn't want to be shot in the efforts of protecting a stranger and his family.

Hehe Thanks. But ya you're right, even if our families aren't the 'best' in the world we will still most likely protect them at any cost. It

• It's a question, I WANT an answer to, it might affect MY answer to this....

Holy Shit!! I'm laughing so hard here! HAHAHAHA

• Yeah I think i would do the same of "Dont_Look_Back"

id kill the oldest people of the majority to get my kids back. So 6 people. That's it.

• edited May 2014
    Mixed aged ranging from 18 - 60
    Alive_Clem posted: »

It would depend if the 12 people were young or not.

• Just read it- Yikes...

I could see this happening but possibly the adult family members(parents, aunts uncles etc.) would want to sacrifice themselves for the younger family members as fricken' horrible as it is. Of course that depends on how many adult family members you have as well. Otherwise, I am completely stumped.

Sorry not exactly an answer but sat here for a while and couldn't come up with anything else.
    Can I ask what would you do?

Take a look at my "improved" situation, too.

• What about URBANS? Are any of the hostages URBANS?
  • I don't really know. I'd have saved my kids, parents, siblings at cost of my own and possibly my wife's life (she most likely would've wanted to save the kids, so it would still work).

There's actually no morally right outcome in this situation.

Just read it- Yikes... I could see this happening but possibly the adult family members(parents, aunts uncles etc.) would want to sacri

• *shakes head while fits of laughter* I'm sorry but couldn't help it. These jokes almost never get old.
  • If I had kids/were married I would probably make the same choice as yourself honestly.
    You're right though, no real right choice in here huh? :/ Good tough question as well man.

I don't really know. I'd have saved my kids, parents, siblings at cost of my own and possibly my wife's life (she most likely would've wanted to save the kids, so it would still work). There's actually no morally right outcome in this situation.

• to clarify i actually dont hate kenny :P

Looks like Kennysucks just went full Kenny.

• URBANS, BOATS,URBANS,BOATS URBANS,BOATS URBANNSSSS!!! Add saltlicks in and HOLY TRIFECTA OF KENAAAYYYYY!!!! (Mustaches and beards are not part of the trinity but part of KENNYS soul and body...
  • Just a little misleading that's all ^_^
    Kennysucks posted: »

to clarify i actually dont hate kenny :P

• i know :p i used to hate him but then i went back to season 1 and hes pretty cool :P

Just a little misleading that's all ^_^

• First, I wouldn't do anything unless I was sure that the captor would uphold his end of the deal. This would be pretty difficult seeing as how he's captured 16 innocent people to put them through this twisted murder scenario.

But assuming that I had some kind of assurance that the guy isn't just going to kill me and my family anyway after I murdered all these people in front of them, I think I would lean towards murdering at least 6 of the people in order to save my children. However, if possible I'd like to talk to the 12 people with me as well as my wife and maybe even my children to decide on a fair course of action.

All I know for certain is that I wouldn't kill 3 innocent people to save my own life (at least if their individual expected life spans are approximately equivalent to mine). It's just not a fair trade. I probably wouldn't kill 3 people to save my wife's life either because I get the feeling that the person I take as my wife would probably have the same view of this as me.
  • That's a very tough choice.
    Even though my family would be involved, what of those 12 people and THEIR families?
    Their families, would feel just as bad as mine would if someone were to kill me.
    So no I would not.

If I had an opportunity to kill the perpetrator and save my family and everyone else, I would.
    Especially if I got to use either a salt lick or a crowbar, Lol!
  • edited May 2014
    Just wanted to comment on the first thing you mentioned.

If you've seen his face, even if you were to do what he asked you, he'll just kill you and your family anyway.
    Leave no eye witnesses.
    Sad but true.

Sadly in most kidnappings, the victim will get killed in the end, even if he complies with what he's told.
    No eye-witnesses.

I honestly wish such things like kidnappings didn't happened.
    It's a damn shame!
    DomeWing333 posted: »

First, I wouldn't do anything unless I was sure that the captor would uphold his end of the deal. This would be pretty difficult seeing as h

Sign in to comment in this discussion.