Max...?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    That would just make them lose customers. Me, for example. I can't enjoy a game when I'm constantly worried that I've made the game impossible and I'll have to start over because I don't have a save game that far back.

I fully agree here, and I learnt it the hard way. We made a C64 adventure game with a friend in the early 90s, which quite easily ended up unsolvable by losing items (giving it to the wrong person, using the axe on it, etc.). It sold a decent amount of units (considering the proportions), but I got an amount feedback that indicated that the senders would think twice before buying another game by us :eek:
  • edited January 2009
    It makes people think twice about what they're doing!

I do agree it's annoying when you get the game into an unwinnable state, but if you look back, that was a very popular "problem" I can name around 10 (adventure) games off the top of my head that allowed the game to become unwinnable.
  • edited January 2009
    They could make it so you THINK it's unwinnable, sort of like in HtR when you throw money into the fountain for the first time. And then they could have an alternate solution to the problem at hand, probably one that you wouldn't likely think of trying unless you're Sam or Max. Kind of the point of their games, I thought. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    It makes people think twice about what they're doing!
    I much prefer being able to experiment. I'm much more likely to give up on a problem, even if the game hasn't been made impossible, if I think I might've wasted an item for it or something. Life makes me anxious enough; I don't want it in adventure games too.

I know that a lot of popular games did it, but I can't play those games without closely following a walkthrough.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.