[Demo] Can't change Graphic Resolution.

edited May 2009 in Game Support
As object. The game starts at 1024x768 and there's no way to make it run at above resolution (even at lower). Found the option but when clicked nothing happen.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I got this problem too. And, the 1280x1024 resolution is found twice. I get :

|> 800x600
    |> 1024x768
    |> 1280x1024
    |> 1280x1024

And I can't choose any of the other resolution than 1024x768.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Could you tell us what kind of video cards you have, and which resolutions are listed when you change the resolution in Windows?
  • edited March 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Could you tell us what kind of video cards you have, and which resolutions are listed when you change the resolution in Windows?

Sure.
    Asus Geforce 9800GT Ultimate (a former GTS).
    Resolution: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1280x1024.
    Also I had a custom resolution made using NVIDIA Control Panel at 1280x960 that I used to solve the -never solved issue- in Sam&Max Season One that doesn't consider ratio different than 4:3 (and I have a 19" LCD, native resolution 1280x1024 that is 5:4) and prevent you to choose the above resolution if the next one is not avaible (in my case I couldn't select 1280x960 that was near the one I needed).
  • edited March 2009
    For my case :
    nVidia GeForce 9500 GT (from Gainward). I can choose 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 in Windows.
    Sam & Max recognizes all of them and works well (Season 2 only, the first season can't set more than 1024x768).
  • edited March 2009
    Mwyann wrote: »
    the first season can't set more than 1024x768.
    You can use 1280x960 using the nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution. It enable you to use that resolution that is the closest to 1280x1024 that I assume is the native resolution of your monitor. You'll play with very small black band at the top and the bottom of the screen that make it very similar to the resolution yoi wanted.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    MIK0 wrote: »
    As object. The game starts at 1024x768 and there's no way to make it run at above resolution (even at lower). Found the option but when clicked nothing happen.

The list of resolutions is populated by what your graphics card / monitor tell the game should work. You've tried clicking on all of the resolutions and it refuses to change?
  • edited March 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    The list of resolutions is populated by what your graphics card / monitor tell the game should work. You've tried clicking on all of the resolutions and it refuses to change?
    Exactly, like it hadn't get the click.
  • edited March 2009
    Personally, I even used the keyboard shortcuts (up:down and then enter/space), and it didn't change a thing.

Even in the Reg editor I couldn't find any data about this (but I did found the "language", that permitted me to choose "english" back, as I prefer to have english subtitles)
  • edited March 2009
    Personally, I even used the keyboard shortcuts (up:down and then enter/space), and it didn't change a thing.
    I tried it too. No results. I have to say that I don't expecially lilke the ui of the option menu. The will to make all look like a Wallace invention it uselessy heavy.
    Even in the Reg editor I couldn't find any data about this (but I did found the "language", that permitted me to choose "english" back, as I prefer to have english subtitles)

In Document and Settings/<Current User>/Telltale Games/Demo/ there's a prefs.prop file that contain the settings. But it's binary and I don't know what do what (and however it's not my place to solve this).

It's interesting the things about changing the language, I found it an important defect that it can't be choose in the option menu (instead of doing all that makeup useless ui).
  • OMAOMA
    edited March 2009
    PC gamers, unlike console gamers, like to tweak every little bit of the game (and sometimes it's really needed to configure some things). You keep on making great games, but you keep on failing in the configuration part of the games. Like:

- Sam & Max Season 1 didn't accept 5:4 resolutions like 1280x1024
    - Sam & Max Season 2 didn't accept 16:9-ish resolutions like 1360x768
    - Strong Bad still didn't list the 1360x768 resolution
    - The new W & G demo finally takes 1360x768 (thanks!), but it has other resolution changing issues reported by several people, plus you can't change music volume and can't change language settings from the game (you can tinker with the system registry, but the only "easy" way to change languages is reinstalling the game, which is ultra-cumbersome). It would be good to have a really easy way to change subtitle languages, like in a DVD movie (sometimes I like switching back and forth between the original text and the translation)

I think you should stop changing the user's system resolution when the game starts. It should play at whatever resolution the user has, which is almost always the resolution the user wants to play at (usually the screen's native resolution). This should fix most issues with screen resolutions that keep popping up with every new of your releases. Of course, the resolution should be still changeable inside the game, but should be optional, not forcing a resolution change as soon as you start the game.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism. Your games are cool, but maybe the user interface for configuring things could be done a bit better. It's mostly my only complaint, which says a lot about the quality of your games.
  • edited March 2009
    I agree OMA. My only issue with W&G is the fact that it defaults to 16:9 resolution and doesn't accommodate 16:10 or anything else; so there are widescreen bars showing no matter what res you use. The bars aren't a major issue; the game looks and plays wonderfully. But it feels a little odd having them on my screen when I in fact have a widescreen monitor; albeit one that outputs to 16:10.

This likely has to do with the game being fashioned for the X-Box 360 and widescreen TVs. Still, it would be great if the PC version allowed additional tweaking.
  • edited March 2009
    OMA, they choose a "low" resolution by default because if your computer cannot handle 3D animations with your current res, it could be hard to change the resolution when the game starts (menus would be very slow and quite unusable).

In old times, there were two executables : one for hardware configuration, and the other for the game itself. I think you should be able to change options in the screen that appears before the game starts ("Launch the demo !"). This way you could setup the display/sound options (why not choose the output device too), and then lauch the game.
  • edited March 2009
    I am unable to change the resolution, too. My Graphics Card is a Geforce 7900 GS. The Drivers are reported as Version 181.20. I did not have such Problems in any of your other games I tried (Sam and Max (both seasons) and SBCG4AP).

The following resolutions are listed:
    800 x 600 (in grey)
    1024 x 768 (darker grey, bold)
    1152 x 864 (in the same grey as 800 x 600)
    1280 x 1024 (also same grey as 800 x 600)

Clicking on any of the resolutions does not change anything. The game shows no reaction at all.
  • edited March 2009
    Likewise, I have exactly the same options displayed as Mirko

My graphics card is an 8800GT also running the 181.20 drivers
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    When you guys try to change your settings, are you doing it from the main menu or are you doing it after you are already in the game?
  • edited March 2009
    It's the same for either in game or at the menu, the resolution options are completely non-responsive as if they were part if the background.
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    When you guys try to change your settings, are you doing it from the main menu or are you doing it after you are already in the game?

I tried it from the main menu before, and tried it in the game now (both in the tutorial and in front of Wallace's house). It doesn't work there, either.
  • edited March 2009
    Same here on my backup computer with an old Radeon 9600, latest DirectX and Catalyst drivers. The various resolutions are shown in the Options menu, but clicking on them doesn't do anything.

Also, whenever I try to set the graphics quality below 4, not only the program, but the whole computer crashes and reboots immediately. But that may be primarily caused by the age of this system.

Edit: The resolutions shown are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720 and 1280x1024. Both 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are highlighted (dark grey) at the same time, the other two resolutions are light grey.
  • edited March 2009
    I don't know if it's related, but it seam to me that the prefs.prof file don't get updated when I change options. Also the options are not saved and everytime I start the game they are setted at default (tried with window mode and different graphic setting). The file is not read only.
  • edited March 2009
    Update: I just noticed that my VGA card's TV-Out was still activated from yesterday's movie session. So the Options page was actually right in telling that both resolutions were activated at the same time (but I guess, only the main display's resolution should have been analyzed in the program).

After deactivating TV-Out, resolution switching works fine with me. Maybe an issue with running multiple displays?
  • edited March 2009
    I would like to tell that I have multiple displays too (my 9500 GT has two screens plugged on it, VGA and DVI (no TV), and another card, 7300 GT, with one screen on it, DVI, making 3 screens on the same computer). All these screens are running 1280x1024, and the main screen is the DVI on the 9500 GT.
  • edited March 2009
    I only have one screen, and I don't think I ever activated the TV-Out on this Windows installation. I used (or at least tried) it a few times before I reinstalled Windows though, but I don't think it could stay activated through a new Installation. I also looked for a way to activate or deactivate it, but it seemed to be deactivated.
  • edited March 2009
    I hope this issue will be fixed before the release. The lack of official reply is not reassuring.
    edited March 2009
    Actually, I'm pretty sure this has been fixed. We have never been able to reproduce it in the studio, but we have some code in that hopefully has fixed it.
  • edited March 2009
    Thank you.
    I'm looking forward tomorrow release.
  • edited March 2009
    I'm having the same problem with the full game. The resolution selection is like a static image, it can be clicked. I can't even change it down. My graphics card is a nvidia geforce 6800. I hope they fix this as playing at 1024x768 isn't great.
  • edited March 2009
    PowerJC wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with the full game. The resolution selection is like a static image, it can be clicked. I can't even change it down. My graphics card is a nvidia geforce 6800. I hope they fix this as playing at 1024x768 isn't great.

Same here. In the end it has not fixed and the anticipated release was not delayed. And that's not cool.
    If we sum up the fact that they used the same controls of the xbox version (that are totally redundant and unconfortable in the pc ones) instead or rewriting that for the pc (and that's a bit lazy), I have bad feeling on how Telltale is working now giving the fact that they did great until now (except for not adapting S&M Season 1 on non 4:3 monitor).
  • edited March 2009
    I'm having the same problem with the full game version. I have two monitors running at 1280x1024 native resolution with an Nvidia GTX 260 card. Driver version 181.2

Both in the startup menu and in-game the resolution choices are:
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x1024
    1280x1024

The game setting is stuck at 1024x768 and pressing any of the other settings doesn't change anything. I've tried selecting them with either the mouse or the keyboard.

Clicking 'fullscreen' to OFF makes the game go into a tiny widescreen mode. I took a screenshot of it which measures out to be 800x450 (who uses a 16:9 ratio for computer games?)

When fullscreen is OFF, the graphics menu shows the options:
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x1024

None of which are selected or can be selected.

If I switch fullscreen mode to ON again, the extra 1280x1024 entry reappears at the bottom of the selection once more.
  • gzzgzz
    edited March 2009
    I have the very same problem, nvidia 8800GT, XP and dual monitor setup. I can't change resolution from 1024 and 1280 shows up twice, too.
  • edited March 2009
    Same here, and Derrick's trick couldn't apply. The 1024x768 res shows the game's title very badly here (my screen's anti-aliasing is not doing its work nicely) so I would like to give 1280x1024 a try, but I can't.
  • edited March 2009
    Same problem here. I've got 1024x768 highlighted and the others (800x600, 1152x864 & 1440x900) are greyed out and clicking on them does nothing. I also have a dual screen setup - one widescreen monitor set at 1440x900 (my primary screen) and another standard monitor set at 1280x1024.

Because of the different resolutions I need to play games at either the same resolution as my main screen (1440x900) or in windowed mode or it messes up the other screen. I'd happily play in windowed mode if it wasn't so small.

I'm on XP and my graphics card is a nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS.
  • edited March 2009
    Same here, and Derrick's trick couldn't apply. The 1024x768 res shows the game's title very badly here (my screen's anti-aliasing is not doing its work nicely) so I would like to give 1280x1024 a try, but I can't.

This doesn't solve the problem, but if your screen's built-in hardware does bad rescaling and crummy anti-aliasing you can try having the graphics card scale the output before passing it to the screen. I don't know how it works on other cards, but the Nvidia Control Panel has a menu option called Display->Change Flat Panel Scaling

Select the monitor(s) and set to 'Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio'
    edited March 2009
    Is anyone getting this problem but does not have two monitors? If so what are your system specs? Also, are both of your monitors set to the same resolution, or to different ones? Does changing your monitor resolution (not the in game one) affect anything? How about unplugging the second monitor?
  • edited March 2009
    i got only one monitor (1280x1024). the game (final version, not demo) offers 800x600,1024x768 (selected) and twice 1280x1024. nothing happens when i try to switch to another resolution. video adapter is a nvidia 8600GT, configured to single-display mode.
  • edited March 2009
    Why can't I change the screen size to something other than 1024*768? Help me?
  • edited March 2009
    Why can't I change the screen size to something other than 1024*768? Help me?

We are currently looking into why some people can't change there resolutions. In the meantime I have posted some prefs.prop here http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8101 with different sizes and quality for you try.
  • edited March 2009
    Those files are invalid. Why does this stuff work for S&M and SBCG4AP but not W&G?
  • edited March 2009
    Those files are invalid. Why does this stuff work for S&M and SBCG4AP but not W&G?

Substantial changes to the graphics engine might be related. :)
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Is anyone getting this problem but does not have two monitors? If so what are your system specs? Also, are both of your monitors set to the same resolution, or to different ones? Does changing your monitor resolution (not the in game one) affect anything? How about unplugging the second monitor?

I have only one monitor.
    To what I have seen until now it seems that it is an only nvidia users issue.
  • edited March 2009
    I've just updated my drivers to 182.08 on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.