[Demo] Can't change Graphic Resolution.

2»

Comments

• edited March 2009
    MIK0 wrote: »
    I have only one monitor.
    To what I have seen until now it seems that it is an only nvidia users issue.

No, some user here told this before : "Same here on my backup computer with an old Radeon 9600, latest DirectX and Catalyst drivers. The various resolutions are shown in the Options menu, but clicking on them doesn't do anything."
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    That's the strange thing. We definitely test on nvidia and radeon and we all have two monitor setups, so I'm trying to find some other commonality to track it down.
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    That's the strange thing. We definitely test on nvidia and radeon and we all have two monitor setups, so I'm trying to find some other commonality to track it down.

I have to say that the new encryption and the variable file length make it more difficult for user to figure out which byte change the resolution, but I guess you had your reason.

However we may start with the dxdiag report to gather the information you need.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    We've been unable to reproduce this issue in house so far, and it would be very helpful if I could get the following information from everybody having this problem:

1) When you click on one of the resolutions does it turn bold, or is there no observable change?

2) Do any of the buttons on the settings screen work?

3) Do only parts (left side, right side, etc....) of some buttons on the settings screen work?

4) If you navigate the selection brackets over a resolution with WASD and press SPACE to activate a resolution, is there an observable change or not?

5) Do any of the buttons on this screen work with WASD/SPACE ?

//Additional stuff:

6) Operating system?

7) Are you doing anything funky like trying to run the game through WINE or another emulator?

8) Is there anything else strange about your hardware/software setup compared to other computers?

Thanks everyone.
  • edited March 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    1) When you click on one of the resolutions does it turn bold, or is there no observable change?
    Only the default resolution is bold, in my case 1024x768. So:
    800x600
    1024x768 <-bold
    1280x960
    1280x1024
    No observable change when clicking over other resolution.
    All the other button works. I can change graphic details (not sure how much change, but the screen refresh after this). Also I can set windowed or full screen.
    3) Do only parts (left side, right side, etc....) of some buttons on the settings screen work?
    It seems everything is fine, maybe slow (ever tryed to change volume?) but works.
    4) If you navigate the selection brackets over a resolution with WASD and press SPACE to activate a resolution, is there an observable change or not?
    Also tried, same as clicking. No change. When SPACE is pressed the selection disappear.
    Everything works fine, except for the resolution.

edit:
    tried with the prefs file you posted and the game works fine at 1280x1024. However no changes in resolution settings are possibile (other options are fine).

edit:

//Additional stuff:
    6) Operating system?
    Windows XP SP3
    7) Are you doing anything funky like trying to run the game through WINE or another emulator?
    No.
    8) Is there anything else strange about your hardware/software setup compared to other computers?
    Just a plain setup.
  • edited March 2009
    We've been unable to reproduce this issue in house so far, and it would be very helpful if I could get the following information from everybody having this problem:

No bolding or observable change.

All other graphics menu buttons (e.g. graphics quality, fullscreen) and all other menu options work fine.

No observable change, the selection brackets just fade away.

All other graphics menu buttons work fine with both mouse clicks and bracket selection.

//Additional stuff:
    6) Operating system?

Windows XP SP2

Nothing funky.

Dual monitor setup, both running 1280x1024
  • edited March 2009
    Same problem with demo version 1.1.0.15 on my system. Can't change resolution to any other than 1024x768 either by mouse nor by keyboard.

- Single monitor configuration with a 19" lcd (1280x1024 native res.).
    - Nvidia 8800GT video card, using the 178.24 drivers with default settings.
    - Latest DirectX 9.0c on my Windows XP Pro SP3.

All other installed games are able to change the resolution ;).
  • gzzgzz
    edited March 2009
    I have exactly the same as #46, except i have one monitor at 1280x1024 (primary) and the 2nd running 1024x768
  • edited March 2009
    I know, I'm running Linux, so it's unsupported, but just as a data point:

I'm seeing the same thing as far as not being able to switch resolutions running both the demo and the release game on my Ubuntu intrepid (x86_64) system, with nVidia's 177.82 drivers and Wine 1.1.17. I have two attached displays, one running at 1280x1024, the other at 1680x1050. I'm running it within a virtual desktop, but it sees the same resolution info, and eveen when providing modes for 800x600 and 1024x768 for a single display, it still won't let me switch (all other resolutions are greyed out, clicking them has no effect at all).

Again, I'm not looking for support, just for the record.
  • edited March 2009
    Same problem here, not only with the demo, but also with the first full episode (1.0.0.15). My video card is a GeForce 6200. Quite old, so I wanted to reduce the resolution to 800x600, but the resolution is stuck at 1024x768.

Here are the answers to your questions.

=> No change at all.

=> Everything except for the resolution buttons works fine.

=> No, all other buttons work just as expected.

=> No change at all.

=> All other buttons work as expected.

6) Operating system?

WinXP, SP3

No.

Nothing I can think of.
  • edited March 2009

no change

all other buttons work

no they all work fine (except the resolution thing)

no change, cursor just disappears

the rest of the buttons work as normal
    6) Operating system?

Win XP SP3

no just as normal

apart from the dual monitors with different resolutions, I don't think so.
    Even then that's not really strange.
  • edited March 2009
    I do not have the problem on this thread on any of the 3 computers I tried, but I do have some questions for those who do.

What happens when you try scrolling down the video settings list with the onscreen arrows to the right of the list? Does the list move? Try the following even if it does not.

Keeping clicking on the down arrow 10 times, 2 seconds between clicks. Did you get to the bottom of the list?

Now do the same with the up arrow till you get to the top of the list. Go to the bottom and to the top once more. Can you now select a mode? Can you select a mode at the bottom of the list?

I noticed that the game seems to keep track of the position in the list and the video mode as 2 seperate items. Scrolling through the list may sync it back up.

Try the above with one of the supplied prefs.prop files and after deleting the prefs.prop.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8101

As for 2 items in the list that are the same, maybe the game is not filtering the modes for \\.\DISPLAY1
  • edited March 2009
    I have to say that the new encryption and the variable file length make it more difficult for user to figure out which byte change the resolution, but I guess you had your reason.

On W&G installation, the prefs.prop file does not store the resolution bytes and will default to 1024x768. The bytes appear in the prefs.prop file only after you change the mode once in the settings. If you delete the prefs.prop file it will be rebuilt again without the resolution bytes being stored and will default again to 1024x768.
  • edited March 2009
    Derrick wrote: »
    What happens when you try scrolling down the video settings list with the onscreen arrows to the right of the list? Does the list move? Try the following even if it does not.

Nothing. There is no scroll bar or arrows for scrolling. There are 4 items, one of which is dark, the rest of which are a light grey. There's nowhere to scroll.
  • edited March 2009
    demonfoo wrote: »
    Nothing. There is no scroll bar or arrows for scrolling. There are 4 items, one of which is dark, the rest of which are a light grey. There's nowhere to scroll.

Well, I have nothing to do with TTG, but this leads me to believe the DirectX resolution list is not being generated at all by the game. Most likely not getting the list from \\.\DISPLAY1.

I noticed if you use my TTres video resolution patcher to force a video mode in W&G, it screws up the game list. While this is to be expected, it also does something else interesting. If I force 1600x1200 which is the last game in my list. Then when I scroll down on initial entry to the setup screen, it highlights the 1620x1200 entry. But it also populates the onscreen list with invalid/duplicate entries. Ignore the 1600x800 entry. It is an non-working mode I created.

wgf1.jpg

Then when I scroll back up and scroll back down I can only go to 1600x800. The 2 bottom invalid entries are gone. There is a good possibility the the list is just rolling over to the start.

wgf2.jpg

So imagine that the DirectX list is not created. The game is just putting in invalid modes in the list, but not letting you select anything because the list length is 0.

Hope this helps TTG. I think they need a log mode to dump the list from affected users. Maybe they can whip up a reduced file size W&G that just runs, dumps a log of the list length and list values. Then get a few of you users to try it. Of course then they have to figure out why the list is not being generated.

This is all speculation on my part, but it might be usefull.
    edited March 2009
    So imagine that the DirectX list is not created. The game is just putting in invalid modes in the list, but not letting you select anything because the list length is 0.

The system supports a resolution list with 0+ items, and doesn't do any sort of padding. The resolution data is also strongly coupled with what shows up on the UI. The resolution that shows up on the UI is created with the same data that gets passed to the engine to set the screen size.
  • edited March 2009
    The system supports a resolution list with 0+ items, and doesn't do any sort of padding. The resolution data is also strongly coupled with what shows up on the UI. The resolution that shows up on the UI is created with the same data that gets passed to the engine to set the screen size.

Hmm.. One last suggestion, we know that people with multi-monitors are having problems, but I'm wondering if the users that only have a single monitor and are having problems are really being reported as multi-monitor.

Is there any debug/log mode the users in question can dump the W&G DX initializing info for you? All the neat error codes DX spits out when you are trying to set things up.

Would it be helpful for the users to run DXCapsViewer.exe from the MS DirectX SDK. Go to the file menu and pick "Print whole tree to file." "Direct3D9 Devices" takes up the majority of the file so it's just easiest to dump the whole thing. At least then you might have some usefull info. You would be able to see if there is more then 1 display detected, etc. Might be a lot to ask of the users, but...

Hopefully I haven't clouded the issue at all. I'll stay out of it now. Good luck on this one.
    edited March 2009
    Hmm.. One last suggestion, we know that people with multi-monitors are having problems, but I'm wondering if the users that only have a single monitor and are having problems are really being reported as multi-monitor.

Just about everyone at Telltale has multiple monitors.
  • edited March 2009
    Maybe a quick analysis of the DXCapsViewer.exe log for one of your users with the problem may help. cropped.txt is just a cropped version of the full dxviewlog, showing just the DX3D modes supported.

The user does have a 9500GT and 7300GT installed.

The user has 1 DVI monitor and a regular monitor installed on the 9500GT. He uses the DVI monitor for the game and that is the first one in the log file attached. FWIW I have my 9600GT installed through DVI to a TV with no problems.

First suggestion is for the user (or any with this problem) to go into safe mode, use device manager and delete all references to display adapters. Then restart windows and re-install the video driver. Also for users with multiple cards, try removing the secondary card to see what happens..
  • edited March 2009
    One thing I noticed, but don't know if it matters because you are using D3D, but the montior/card the user wants to use is the first one in the D3D list. It is also the principle monitor in the DDraw list, but it is positioned as \\.\DISPLAY3 in DDraw.

As always, igonore if not relivent.
  • edited March 2009
    Another final, final guess.. :rolleyes:

Could it be as simple as a problem with users only having 4 or less video modes? The dxview.log I posted from 1 affected user shows he only supports 4 modes. The one user says he does not get the scroll arrows on screen. All the other posts show no more then 4 modes. So assuming their cards truely only support 4 or less modes and they aslo don't have the scroll arrows....

Could your code that checks for 4 or less modes to remove the scroll arrows also be stopping the mode selection?

OK, now I am really, totally out of ideas. Unless the fault is because... :D
  • edited March 2009
    Interesting part :

(FYI, I'm the user Derrick posted the log of).

I just tried to set my main display on the VGA display of the 9500 GT (through Windows display properties) and guess what... I get a couple more video possibilities and it actually works ! I can click and change the resolution.

The DVI only have 3 resolutions available.
  • gzzgzz
    edited March 2009
    Mwyann wrote: »
    Interesting part :

(FYI, I'm the user Derrick posted the log of).

I just tried to set my main display on the VGA display of the 9500 GT (through Windows display properties) and guess what... I get a couple more video possibilities and it actually works ! I can click and change the resolution.

The DVI only have 3 resolutions available.

Hmm now that's intersting! I can't test it as I only use DVI output with my two panels, I don't even have VGA cables any more.
  • edited March 2009
    However I have only one display connected trought DVI and still have the same problem.
  • edited March 2009
    However I have only one display connected trought DVI and still have the same problem.

How many display modes do you have from 800x600 and up supported by your display? More then 4? Could you post a DXCapsViewer.exe log?

P-mail me for further info on how to get DXCapsViewer.exe from Microsoft if you want.
  • edited March 2009
    How many display modes do you have from 800x600 and up supported by your display? More then 4? Could you post a DXCapsViewer.exe log?

P-mail me for further info on how to get DXCapsViewer.exe from Microsoft if you want.

Actully I have 4 supported resolution, the same one that appear in the game options, but I can't select none. One of them is a custom resolution I used to play S&M Season One.
  • edited March 2009
    Actully I have 4 supported resolution, the same one that appear in the game options, but I can't select none. One of them is a custom resolution I used to play S&M Season One.

I would still like a DXCapsViewer.exe log file if at all possible. But....

It seems your setup also supports my latest theory that when the game detects that there are 4 or less modes. It removes the up/down arrows from the list. That same check is probably stopping the selection.

Now it is all up to TTG to fix it.
  • edited March 2009
    I would still like a DXCapsViewer.exe log file if at all possible. But....

It seems your setup also supports my latest theory that when the game detects that there are 4 or less modes. It removes the up/down arrows from the list. That same check is probably stopping the selection.

Now it is all up to TTG to fix it.

You should really work for TTG. You made a good guess and I tried for a chance to add a custom resolution using nvidia control panel taking the max number of resolution from 4 to 5 (I added 1152x864).
    Guess what? Started the game, went to setting, I now have two arrows that let me scroll the resolution list and I CAN SELECT THEM!
    So I think that now it's clear what has to be fixed. Well done.
    edited March 2009

It's not exactly disabling the scroll buttons that does it, but your guess is pretty close. That path of execution had a typo in it preventing the callback from being assigned to the correct spot. And thanks to the magic of scripting languages, everything failed in absolute silence!
  • edited March 2009
    It's not exactly disabling the scroll buttons that does it, but your guess is pretty close. That path of execution had a typo in it preventing the callback from being assigned to the correct spot. And thanks to the magic of scripting languages, everything failed in absolute silence!

So, does that means that, with a simple if/then or try/catch block, everything is fixed ? Will it be a bugfix release soon ?
    edited March 2009
    Mwyann wrote: »
    So, does that means that, with a simple if/then or try/catch block, everything is fixed ? Will it be a bugfix release soon ?

Yes, the bug has been fixed (thanks to everyone in this thread for their information and help). I'm not the person who makes builds and patches, but I'll ask around Monday and see if we can get something tested and sent out.
  • edited April 2009
    Any news? Or is there no possibility of a fix?
  • edited May 2009
    Up, any news about a fix ?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    There likely won't be a fix for 101 in the near future. If you have 102, you should be able to set your graphics in it and then copy the prefs.prop file from your 102 saves folder into your 101 folder, or use one of the prefs.prop files that Scott posted
This discussion has been closed.