Sam and Max fonts?

edited November 2009 in Sam & Max
Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the font used in the Sam and Max games, specifically, the subtitles? And where can I be able to download it? I'm wanting to use them for the Telltale comic I'm working on. :)

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    The fonts used in Sam & Max are commercial -- to download them you have to actually buy them!

The logo and episode titles are "Motel King" and "Square Meal" respectively, from Font Diner. (The "County Fair Picnic" pack, which at this point has fueled a lot of Telltale game fonts! Wow.)

The subtitles are in Chatterbox, which is the same font Steve used in the Sam & Max webcomic.

If you're looking for free comic lettering fonts, try the Ban Comic Sans free fonts page.
  • edited March 2009
    Alright then, thanks :D
  • edited March 2009
    http://www.fontdiner.com/main.html (The site Telltale gets their fonts from) also has a free font section ("Free Silverware") which has quite a few fonts in the same general style :)
  • edited March 2009
    Well, the only free one I can see that I could use in the comic would be the Font on a Stick. I'd probably use one of the ones from the Ban Comic Sans site.
  • edited March 2009
    $129 for 3 fonts !!! How can it be...
  • edited March 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    http://www.fontdiner.com/main.html (The site Telltale gets their fonts from) also has a free font section ("Free Silverware") which has quite a few fonts in the same general style :)

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've just added them all to my font collection!
  • edited November 2009
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think this is the best place to put this.

I work at a Staples, and when I got there today I they had put up signs everywhere with lettering like this:

leftnav_header_easy.gif

I had a very nagging feeling of "where have I seen that before?!" The "A" in that font is really distinct, so I knew it was familiar, but it took all morning before I could place it. Then I remembered this thread.

They're using it all over their website now, too. Just thought it was kind of funny.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the links, Font Diner has some amazing stuff even in the free section! Ban Comic Sans looks pretty decent too, bet they'll come in handy.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm slightly confused... are the fonts installed on the computer when someone installs sam and max?
  • edited November 2009
    I assume the subtitle font or a sprite sheet based on it is somewhere inside the game's encrypted data files. Installing the game certainly won't give you the ability to easily use the font elsewhere; that would be redistributing it and cost Telltale a lot more money!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    They're using it all over their website now, too. Just thought it was kind of funny.

Staples has been Sam & Max-ified! That's too funny.

It seems they haven't gotten the mix of uppercase and lowercase letters down. One of the fun things about Square Meal is that the uppercase versions of some letters are different than the lowercase, and you can make the word look better by using one or the other. For example the uppercase R has a long tail that swoops down under the following letter, while the lowercase R has just a little tail. On a graphic like this I would have chosen the uppercase R for the word FREE. (They actually did that here.)

There you go, a glimpse into the silly decisions that go into the creation of marketing assets. Jake and I had many a debate about this stuff, back in the day. :D (And he was usually right!)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.