How to turn off profanity?

Hello all.

I just now installed the game and a few minutes after starting it for the first time I was dismayed that just about every sentence contains swearwords.
Now, I read the Fables comic books this is based on, and it certainly does NOT contain all this profanity! So, I don't understand why that was introduced. I'm also familiar with the Walking Dead game and it too didn't contain profanity at this level.

Could someone please help me by telling me how to turn off the profanity?

Thank you very much in advance.

PS

I understand that there are people out there who are used to this kind of language, or don't mind it. But, it's not something I wish for either myself, or for my children.

Comments

• You can't turn it off. You shouldnt make it discourage you from playing Wolf Among us though, because it is deffently one of the best stories TellTale has made

• I'm also familiar with the Walking Dead game and it too didn't contain profanity at this level.

I'm not so sure you are familiar with TWD.

• The first few minutes of the game involved a drunk brute slapping the crap out of a prostitute and then getting into a full-on brawl with his old enemy. Profanity tends to be rather abundant in those contexts.

• edited October 2014

You can't really do that. You see, each line you hear in the game has been separately recorded, and each choice you make has also been separately recorded. Telltale isn't going to go through the trouble of RE-recording every single scene to reduce profanity. To be honest, it's only more tense scenes such as the beginning that get really bad with the cursing. The rest is up to whether you wanna be a nice Bigby or a really angry Bigby. He tends to curse more if you make him more brutal.

I wouldn't let my children play this game unless they could handle that kind of exposure. Not that I'm saying you're a bad parent or nothing, but if you think your kids can't handle the cursing, don't let them play it until they're more mature.

I'm sorry it bothers you, but I guess you can't get everything you want, right? I agree that the comics keeps cursing down a little more than the game, but you have to consider what's going on you know?

• edited October 2014

So according to your logic, you dislike profanity and wouldn't want yourself or your kids to hear it. And yet, you're fine with the Woodsman slapping a prostitute around while Bigby proceeded to beat the crap out of him shortly after?

All episodes of TWAU have been rated Mature by the ESRB, Strong Language being one of the reasons.

• The Walking Dead didn't have a lot of swearing? XD here is proof that you are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJyYoM4l-6o

• Or Fables. No, it doesnt have as much profanity as in the game but it has it's share, plus other adult situations.

Green613 posted: »

I'm also familiar with the Walking Dead game and it too didn't contain profanity at this level. I'm not so sure you are familiar with TWD.

• Dear commenters,

Thanks for the (civilized) replies. After writing my comment yesterday I checked more carefully and indeed saw that the box stated there would be foul language and other mature topics, so that's my bad. I guess my prior knowledge with the Fables comics made me think it would more closely resemble them (intelligent topics, metaphors, intrigue, etc). This game has the same characters but seems to focus more on physical altercations (perhaps because they thought the game would be too boring without a lot of 'action'?).

Anyway, I may have overreacted a bit, but starting the game with your child and seeing the fun colourful cartoon graphics... and then all of a sudden a barrage of bad language was an unpleasant surprise. I hastily turned off the game and told my child we'd play something else. If she starts to use these words, I'd be in a ton of trouble with the wife ;-)

Luckily, I was allowed to return the game to the store.

PS

Regarding the Walking Dead game... I wasn't aware of the swearing there. The Youtube game reviews I saw talked about intelligent choices. I can't recall any reviewer mention there was a lot of foul language involved.

• Box? There are physical copies of TWAU out already?

Dear commenters, Thanks for the (civilized) replies. After writing my comment yesterday I checked more carefully and indeed saw that the

• Mainly, reviewers don't count swearing in their reviews.

You should know better than download a random game wihtout even checking the ratings.

Dear commenters, Thanks for the (civilized) replies. After writing my comment yesterday I checked more carefully and indeed saw that the

• @DragonButter

No. I mean the square box stating what the contents is about (what it contains that could be objectionable). The PEGI box. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_European_Game_Information
    The box shows an age and extra text or icons to specify what content the movie/game/story/... has.
    You may know it as ESRB if you are from the US. I don't know what other countries use.

@Megami_Kizukanai

Again, my bad for not checking the box. My excitement got the better of me when I found out about a game based on the Fables comics.

• edited October 2014

I completely understand not wanting to play this game with your kids, it's not really for kids, but you didn't want to play it for yourself?

• I gotcha, you had me confused for a couple of hours there.

@DragonButter No. I mean the square box stating what the contents is about (what it contains that could be objectionable). The PEGI box.

• This is so funny!!!

The Walking Dead didn't have a lot of swearing? XD here is proof that you are wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJyYoM4l-6o

• Actually, Season 1 did have a bit less swearing than Season 2 and TWAU

Green613 posted: »

I'm also familiar with the Walking Dead game and it too didn't contain profanity at this level. I'm not so sure you are familiar with TWD.

• Not the point, the point is that TWD's level of swearing is pretty much the same, so if you could handle that, you can handle Wolf.

Actually, Season 1 did have a bit less swearing than Season 2 and TWAU

• I've been pressing for a bleep-out mode since Back to the Future

• umm you can't.... and if you think fables and twd doesn't have profanity well.... you haven't really read fables or played twd like it doesn't have as much as twau but its still there

• edited October 2014

The game has been rated Mature for a reason. The comic itself is also from Vertigo, which is known for mature content. I understand your concern for the profanity, however from a storytelling's point of view the game wouldn't make much sense if no one were swearing, considering the context, characters' background and personality.

I would say it's not really a game for kids. Even if you found a way to turn off the swearing, it's still not suitable for kids. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it for yourself, though. Give the game a try. It's a great game. :)

• Don't read TWD comics then or you'll meet Negan

Alt text

• No, I don't think so. Early November.

Box? There are physical copies of TWAU out already?

• I had assumed, but the way the guy worded it made me think he got an early copy. I stand corrected though!

No, I don't think so. Early November.

• edited October 2014

Myself, a cuss like a sailor.
    However I respect those who do not wish to hear it.
    And when I'm around such people, I do try to curb my language.

And also, the game has a mature rating.
    Which is basically the equivalent to a rated R movie.
    So perhaps, it would be unwise to allow children to play it, or any other games with the same type of rating.

I can't tell you what to do, nor would I presume to.
    I am merely offering you my advice.

• Wow man wow.

• Don't play it around your kids. They're not the targeted demographic.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2014

intelligent topics, metaphors, intrigue, etc

Without spoiling too much, those definitely appear more in Episodes 3 through 5, especially when the story starts to focus on the ethics of government alongside a few other plot points that are also intelligent in execution. Fables has a complicated backstory and lore, so Telltale deliberate immerses players slowly in Episodes 1 and 2. However, since you've yet to see Episode 2 (despite the fact that you have already returned the game), I'll go ahead and point out anyways that Episode 2 had some sexual themes (and a briefly topless female character) so you certainly made the right choice in holding off to play the game with your kid anyways. :P

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2014

Well, at least Poker Night 1 had optional censoring. Does that count? ;)

I've been pressing for a bleep-out mode since Back to the Future

• Erm I don't mean to be rude but this game is rated M for mature.

• TWD has a lot of swearing. I think not as much as TWAU though. Apparently Bigby is the telltale character that has swore the most.
    But you can't change the profanity though.

• Sander,
    I want to echo your request for a profanity free version of The Wolf Among Us. Many of the current games out there provide this option in the settings and I was also unpleasantly surprised by the excess and unnecessary profanity in the game within two seconds of starting it. I think my daughter would enjoy this game, if there was a profanity free or bleep-out mode. I have enjoyed the comics, and like the game, but personally would prefer not to hear the cursing. It is simply a customer/guest choice that should be offered. I don't mind the violence, the sexual themes, use of tobacco etc, and see nothing wrong with Telltale games offering versions that allow the customer to tailor the experience to either include or exclude them. I find it totally ironic that in a game where you are provided a wealth of options for your character at every turn, that you can not turn off profanity or have those options. I just played Sunset Overdrive on the Xbox one, and they offered a profanity free version of a very violent game. Its simply tailoring the customer experience. I think at the very least Telltale games should offer a bleep out mode, and other options to custom tailor the games ie a reduced violence or sexual activity mode would go a long ways to expanding the customer base rather then narrowing it. Are you listening Telltale games?

• How about you stop pretending that swear words don't exist?

Seriously, I don't get the mentality of shielding one's kids from swearing. Kids nowadays swear like sailors, especially so at schools.

How are you gonna turn on the profanity filter on your kid's classmates?

• I think at the very least Telltale games should offer a bleep out mode, and other options to custom tailor the games ie a reduced violence or sexual activity mode would go a long ways to expanding the customer base rather then narrowing it. Are you listening Telltale games?

TellTale uses their license' amount of violence and swearing usually, and then makes the game. For example, Jurassic Park: The Game, has maybe 4 curses in the entire game. The movie has around that much as well. The TWD comics has swearing on just about every other page.
    TWDG follows this as well.

Reduced violence? There are way more violent games out there. TTGs aren't known for sexual situations, and TWAU aS the first I've seen to include nudity.

Hosale posted: »

Sander, I want to echo your request for a profanity free version of The Wolf Among Us. Many of the current games out there provide this op

• edited December 2014

Are you listening Telltale games?

Probably not because they know it would be a complete waste of time, especially when the game advertises itself as a game NOT MEANT FOR KIDS. You really should have known what you were getting yourself into.

Sander, I want to echo your request for a profanity free version of The Wolf Among Us. Many of the current games out there provide this op

• Which is weird cuz Bigby doesn't swear that much in the comics, hell I'd wager the total number of swear words in the entirety of the Fables series (including spin-offs) from ALL characters doesn't even come close to the number of times Bigby swears in the entire TWAU series...

Mojazz22 posted: »

TWD has a lot of swearing. I think not as much as TWAU though. Apparently Bigby is the telltale character that has swore the most. But you can't change the profanity though.

• This is a game with nudity and swears. For Adults. If you dont want your kids to see tits, or hear shit, fuck or asshole. Then dont play the game in front of them.

You dont seem too worried about the oodles of over the top violence, blood and guts in front of your precious children. So im sure they will get over words as well.

• By telling them to clean up their language.

Pride posted: »

How about you stop pretending that swear words don't exist? Seriously, I don't get the mentality of shielding one's kids from swearing. K

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2015

Or by please not necrobumping the thread.

By telling them to clean up their language.

This discussion has been closed.