So did people forget that Telltale use to make kids games lol

edited December 2014 in Minecraft: Story Mode

Im actually surprised to hear some people complaining about telltale making a game for kids and getting angry at the thought of kids being on the forum

A project like Minecraft would have been right at home with a lot of the games telltale was making around 2009 since back than telltale made games that mostly appealed to kids and young teens like Boneville, tales on monkey, island and Wallace & Gromit and Sam & Max

this was also around the time that a lot of telltale games came to the Nintendo wii console

look i know a lot of adults may not like it but think of it this way most telltale projects today are aimed at adults so isn't it about time that telltale does at least one game for the kids

Comments

• Isn't it ironic... people here complaining about little kids coming here and destroying this website, but they are the ones whining like children. Now do we see the folly of mankind tsk tsk.

• edited December 2014

Wouldn't necessarily say Minecraft is just for kids either, even if a large number play it. Myself, I don't play it and never have done, but I know adults do play it.

What it'll be, in my mind, is for people who just want a laugh. Which is not for everyone, but also fine. I personally think Telltale deserve a little trust in their narrative skills even if this isn't the project most would have picked. Or at least people should wait until more information has been released before saying what they currently are.

And remember that Minecraft having no story could actually be a positive for Telltale, as they have more freedom.

• Plus it feels like a huge cash grab

Jewfreeus posted: »

but here is the thing, those ips had interesting stories and had potential before they were made i don't see how telltale could make a story

• but here is the thing, those ips had interesting stories and had potential before they were made i don't see how telltale could make a story about building shit if they wanted to go back to those type of games then they picked the worst possible choice

• edited December 2014

"they picked the worst possible choice"

how do you know this when know one has even seen or played this game

but here is the thing, those ips had interesting stories and had potential before they were made i don't see how telltale could make a story

• all we have to do is play minecraft and then we know it is the worst possible choice they could have done anything there are so many family friendly games they could have done this is nothing but a shitty cash grab

TommyW posted: »

"they picked the worst possible choice" how do you know this when know one has even seen or played this game

• Yeah I think you'll find Sam'n'Max, Monkey Island and the like actually appeal to the 30+ crowd. Kids' games? Sheesh.

• edited December 2014

what does playing minecraft have to do with knowing if this game is going to be good or not

i played borderlands and didn't like it but i loves tales from the borderlands and if their minecraft game is any good i will like that too

all we have to do is play minecraft and then we know it is the worst possible choice they could have done anything there are so many family friendly games they could have done this is nothing but a shitty cash grab

• you can't compare borderlands to minecraft, minecraft has no lore at all and is nothing but building despite what people actually say borderlands did have a story and interesting lore before tales came out minecraft is just a bad option what moral choices are they gonna give us there should i build this house? or grief that guy over there oh no so hard to decide

what does playing minecraft have to do with knowing if this game is going to be good or not i played borderlands and didn't like it but i loves tales from the borderlands and if their minecraft game is any good i will like that too

• i know they appeal to 30+ crowd. but my point was those games were made for kids

jtc posted: »

Yeah I think you'll find Sam'n'Max, Monkey Island and the like actually appeal to the 30+ crowd. Kids' games? Sheesh.

• "minecraft has no lore at all and is nothing but building"

So was legos and they still made a good movie and tons of story driven video games lol

you can't compare borderlands to minecraft, minecraft has no lore at all and is nothing but building despite what people actually say border

• lego made games out of different ips i think there have only been a few games that were original but i'll give you the one about the lego movie either way no matter what you say there were so many better options than minecraft this is still imo the worst possible choice

"minecraft has no lore at all and is nothing but building" So was legos and they still made a good movie and tons of story driven video games lol

• Do you even know the original Sam'n'Max and Monkey Island games were 90's titles? It'd be better to say they were made for the people who played THOSE, and those people are in about their 30's. If you want to talk about stuff made for kids, that's what Telltale is doing right now. Zombies, Werewolves, and now this Minecraft thing. That all spells 'teenagers' to me.

i know they appeal to 30+ crowd. but my point was those games were made for kids

• I explained this in a different thread so I'll do the same here. Okay, so the game is geared towards Minecraft fans, right? Which mostly consists out of kids, right? Now these kids, why do they play Minecraft? I'll give you a hint: it ain't the story.

Newsflash: they won't care about a story driven-pointclick game. They'll probably be confused as to why the opening cutscene is so long and when the actual game will start. They'll probably ignore this "mode" and will continue to touch the ipads so that the flappy bird can fly through pipes.

Also Sam & Max kids games? I doubt most kids would understand the jokes in that....

• So did people forget that Telltale use to make kids games

I'm sorry what

• IIn laymens terms he thinks kids wont like a game about thier favorite block smashing miner

• The truth has been spoken.

O

DoubleJump posted: »

Isn't it ironic... people here complaining about little kids coming here and destroying this website, but they are the ones whining like children. Now do we see the folly of mankind tsk tsk.

• edited December 2014

I'm trying to look at the bright side and trying to believe that maybe they are making minecraft to get some money to make TWAU S2 lol

Poogers555 posted: »

Plus it feels like a huge cash grab

• It just feels so forced and such a cash grab, but I refuse to give Telltale money after season 2 ended anyway, they've lost their charm to me.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

Their very first episodic game was based on Jeff Smith's Bone comic, and was targeted towards children. They also made Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, which was also marketed towards children. Both games are fun to play by adults though (and Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures is still my personal favorite series by Telltale so far).

It was only in 2012 that Telltale started making mostly mature rated games. Before then most of their games were rated T for Teen or E for Everyone.

So did people forget that Telltale use to make kids games I'm sorry what

• Holy crap

I really would not have expected Telltale to create games aimed at children +

Mind = blown

Jennifer posted: »

Their very first episodic game was based on Jeff Smith's Bone comic, and was targeted towards children. They also made Wallace & Gromit

Wow.

I guess this is the new breed of "Telltale fan".

Number one, ESRB rating have absolutely nothing to do with how "mature" or not a game is.

Bone definitely wasn't targeted towards "children". I could see how you might think that given the art style, but...Bone's got some surprisingly mature content.

And people thinking Sam & Max and Monkey Island are games for children? No telling what they're smoking.

Jennifer posted: »

Their very first episodic game was based on Jeff Smith's Bone comic, and was targeted towards children. They also made Wallace & Gromit

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

@JJoyce wrote:
    Bone definitely wasn't targeted towards "children". I could see how you might think that given the art style, but...Bone's got some surprisingly mature content.

Bone does indeed have a surprising amount of mature content, but it's definitely targeted towards children (even though the target audience of children is actually surprising, considering how mature it gets in later chapters, as you said). The children's publisher Scholastic publishes the comics in United States. Plus, the co-founder of Telltale, Dan Connors, confirmed when they lost the license to make Bone games that they had a hard time getting their target audience of children interested in the game.

Either way, none of the games Telltale made are for children only, even if they were marketed that way. Just because something's targeted towards children doesn't mean adults can't enjoy them too. As I said, they are fun for everyone (as are the best stories, films, and television shows that are marketed towards children).

JJoyce posted: »

.... Wow. I guess this is the new breed of "Telltale fan". Number one, ESRB rating have absolutely nothing to do with how "mature"

• Agree, except for the pretentious bull about the 'folly of mankind'. I mean, please.

Isn't it ironic... people here complaining about little kids coming here and destroying this website, but they are the ones whining like children. Now do we see the folly of mankind tsk tsk.

• Alt text

• This. All mentioned game are based on good (Monkey Island is even awesome) universes. I loved Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island maybe even more than new games by Telltale but seriously - this game has no story. If Telltale has to create almost everything (except bricks and hatchets... or wathever it is), why don't they finally make their totally own game??

• Well then they should make a Lego game instead! That way we can all have a laugh about Telltale and Traveller's Tales telling a Traveller's Telltale tale.

"minecraft has no lore at all and is nothing but building" So was legos and they still made a good movie and tons of story driven video games lol

• edited December 2014

Idk why people complain about no story its not like it'll be hard for them too make one. Also people complain about all new telltale games even TWD

• It's a tradition here.

People will shit on the new games that Tellale announces.

You're gonna somehow get used to it.

zeke10 posted: »

Idk why people complain about no story its not like it'll be hard for them too make one. Also people complain about all new telltale games even TWD

• Lol i wonder how telltale reacts

It's a tradition here. People will shit on the new games that Tellale announces. You're gonna somehow get used to it.

• I'm sure they're used to it.

Lol i wonder how telltale reacts

• "Neat, someone else threatening to stop buying our games."

"Oh look, more death threats. Whatever." Throws the death threat away

"Huh, we're being accused of creating a cash cow. Meh."

I'm sure they're used to it.

• Sigh... The reason why the game is going to be called MINECRAFT STORY MODE is specifically because Minecraft previously lacked a story. I guess the Telltale writers are using this as a kind of writing challenge. How do we make something out nothing, you know? I don't get why people are complaining about Minecraft not being a good source material to work from. There may actually be some hidden depths behind the characters' emotionless personas. Maybe we can find out why most of the creatures hate Steve so much. Hell, maybe we could find out how Steve feels in his situation.

• They could make it a lil creepy and make Herobrine the villain

Sigh... The reason why the game is going to be called MINECRAFT STORY MODE is specifically because Minecraft previously lacked a story. I gu

• edited December 2014

Fed up of typing a lot, so I'll just leave this here, something which I've not watched much of (there's a second season):

But there's another one which I've found and actually watched:

Sure, the above is not the greatest thing ever, but with telltale's writers behind something similar, I think it can work out nicely. Just a nice, fun game that's off-beat for both kids and adults. Depending on the type of humor involved obviously (but I imagine it'll be kid friendly)

(Anyhow, wasn't leaving this here for you in specific. Just wanted to try and support you by saying they can make it work. Maybe a thread should be created for it though. At least it gives an idea of the direction Telltale may go in anyway)

Sigh... The reason why the game is going to be called MINECRAFT STORY MODE is specifically because Minecraft previously lacked a story. I gu

• I felt the same way as you about Borderlands. I couldn't understand the hype and felt its overrated. Haven't played Tales From Borderlands yet. But might check it out if you'd say its worth more than the other Borderlands games.

• People here also keep stereotyping the fans like they did with B lands

• Ahuh.

It's not like Minecraft's fanbase IS filled with 10 year old screaming kids.

People here also keep stereotyping the fans like they did with B lands

• Sarcasm?

Ahuh. It's not like Minecraft's fanbase IS filled with 10 year old screaming kids.

• Maybe.

Sarcasm?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.