Use Your Robot Arm!

In episode 1, Rhys hurt his hand trying to punch a guy in hus (masked) face. Then a bit later, he fails spectacularly at breaking a bandit's neck (or strangling him?). Both times he used his weak little fleshy arm. The guy's got cybernetic arm. Use it, Rhys! Use the robot power! Loader Bot approves! :D

So that made me wonder - were there any moments where the characters did something daft and you wanted to shout "don't do the thing!" at them? Or moments where they should've done something and didn't?

Disclaimer: I know it's for the comedy! Just thought I'd point it out though.

Comments

• Someone on here pointed out that Rhys is a lefty, that's why he uses his left arm I believe.

• Besides the possibility of Rhys' arm not giving him enhanced strength, punching with his robot arm risk the possibility of breaking it. Meaning he would lose useful functions such as hacking, flashlight, video chat, map and other cool features.

• This one doesn't just apply to Tales - but it drives me crazy that there's wanted posters of the Vault Hunters and Fiona everywhere and yet they insist on wearing the same outfit...

I kind of get it with the VH's just not caring because they're so badass, but for Fiona, who's actively trying to lay low? Girl, lose the hat, at the VERY least!

• Yeah, a member of TT staff confirmed that in another thread, and then I think another staffer pointed out that is was delicate, too.

Someone on here pointed out that Rhys is a lefty, that's why he uses his left arm I believe.

• I think's that one of the reasons why she is making a new outfit, which you can see inside the caravan. And she does get a new hat in present time.

But I think that's so much Fiona can do about her appearance. I doubt there are places where they are selling clothes on Paradora and the wanted poster of Fiona is rather distinctive.

This one doesn't just apply to Tales - but it drives me crazy that there's wanted posters of the Vault Hunters and Fiona everywhere and yet

• What if Rhys breaks his robo arm he dies? ;'(

• If he died, Sasha would be so upset.

Poogers555 posted: »

What if Rhys breaks his robo arm he dies? ;'(

• and then I think another staffer pointed out that is was delicate, too.

So that part is confirmed then?

Alt text

Well that makes sense therefore it's kinda useless. What's the point of a robo-arm if you can't do cool stuff with it.

Yeah, a member of TT staff confirmed that in another thread, and then I think another staffer pointed out that is was delicate, too.

• Can't find a single logical explanation how those two things can be connected.

• But the second outfit is almost identical to the first, just in a different colour scheme, and considering that the wanted posters are in black and white (or sepia) and only show her from the chest up the main identifying feature would be the collar of the jacket and the hat. It doesn't matter what colour it is, the new hat is literally the same except for the colour - and it's highly identifiable/memorable too, I mean even that one bandit refers to her as 'hat lady'!

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

I think's that one of the reasons why she is making a new outfit, which you can see inside the caravan. And she does get a new hat in presen

• Well, he can do quite a bit with it, really. It's incredibly useful technology-wise, just not fighting-wise. And, having never had a reason to go down on Pandora until Episode 1, I doubt he ever expected any need to have it ready for fighting-- that much is obvious from his lack of fighting skills.

DeityD posted: »

and then I think another staffer pointed out that is was delicate, too. So that part is confirmed then? Well that makes sense therefore it's kinda useless. What's the point of a robo-arm if you can't do cool stuff with it.

• Well...What can I say..?

Fiona created her cloth, might as well create and wear something she is familiar with and one she likes. :)

But the second outfit is almost identical to the first, just in a different colour scheme, and considering that the wanted posters are in bl

• Oh, don't get me wrong - it's a seriously stylish outfit, and she definitely rocks it!

Well...What can I say..? Fiona created her cloth, might as well create and wear something she is familiar with and one she likes.

• Maybe Loader Bot can lend him a new one? Clearly the big guy knows a place to get arm replacements, since he was whole again after the bandit fight. :D

Ha, imagine Rhys with a Loader Bot arm!

• A fine point! She doesn't even take off the The Hat! Perhaps the gang need to invest in some fake moustaches?

This one doesn't just apply to Tales - but it drives me crazy that there's wanted posters of the Vault Hunters and Fiona everywhere and yet

• Another one I just thought of - how does Rhys know how to drive?? A lot of his dialogue implies he's lived on Hyperion his whole life, and if he tell Vaughn you want "a sweet ride", Vaughn will point out there's no use for cars on Hyperion. Except to sit inside and "look cool". Rhys must be a fast learner. Or they have driving simulator games?

• Oh God, that needs to happen - and one for Loader Bot, too!

HeartOfGold posted: »

A fine point! She doesn't even take off the The Hat! Perhaps the gang need to invest in some fake moustaches?

• edited April 2015

The Helios moonbase hasn't actually been around all that long. You can see it still being built during the Pre-Sequel, though it was mostly completed by that time. Hyperion as a corporation has existed for a lot longer than that. Chances are Rhys grew up on some random planet before he was hired by Hyperion and was likely transferred to Helios at some point in his career.

Another one I just thought of - how does Rhys know how to drive?? A lot of his dialogue implies he's lived on Hyperion his whole life, and i

• Alt text

Oh God, that needs to happen - and one for Loader Bot, too!

• What's the point of a robo-arm if you can't do cool stuff with it.

He can do plenty of cool stuff with it, but it's expensive, and it's not going to heal on its own like his other hand. He's not going to go wildly swinging it at things.

and then I think another staffer pointed out that is was delicate, too. So that part is confirmed then? Well that makes sense therefore it's kinda useless. What's the point of a robo-arm if you can't do cool stuff with it.

• I remember that one scene where she's tipping her hat over her face after she sees her wanted poster.

Motherfucker, your hat's in the poster too. Just take that shit off and tie your hair back or whatever, jesus.

• 10/10

Would never suspect.

• Rhys's arm is meant for hacking, nothing more. If he punched a dude with it, he'd probably break it. It's like repeatedly bashing an iPhone against a brick wall at 80+ PSI.

At least...the yellow one isn't built for fighting. One thing I really want is for Rhys in the present to do this...
    Alt text

...because his new arm is indeed built for fighting and surviving on Pandora. BOOM automail, bitches.
    Alt text

Maybe Winry fixed Rhys up.

• edited April 2015

Shhhhhh don't try to think logically

Another one I just thought of - how does Rhys know how to drive?? A lot of his dialogue implies he's lived on Hyperion his whole life, and i

• I like the idea of Rhys maybe even being born somewhere on Pandora, but keeping it on the down low because he's ashamed -- There's more evidence for his place of birth being just another planet, but he seems pretty comfortable navigating up to PJ, he moved up by making a mining deal (Pandoran connections?) if I'm remembering correctly, and he has the skag skin boots... They're probably just to distinguish him visually from the other Hyperion business douchebags but it's a fun theory

• This legitimately made my day.

Kenny would be proud:

Alt text

• This was my exact reaction.

Piggs posted: »

I remember that one scene where she's tipping her hat over her face after she sees her wanted poster. Motherfucker, your hat's in the poster too. Just take that shit off and tie your hair back or whatever, jesus.

• Ooh, I really like this idea.

Better not let Jack find out though, you know how he feels about Pandoran scum.

I like the idea of Rhys maybe even being born somewhere on Pandora, but keeping it on the down low because he's ashamed -- There's more evid

• edited April 2015

BUT THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT GREAT! Then Jack would have to live in perpetual suffering knowing he was stuck (for now) at the whims of some up-jumped probably-ex-bandit Pandoran filth that had the gall to infiltrate his company.

Probably wouldn't go very well for Rhys, but then again what hasn't ended in moderate to severe bodily harm for him lately???

Ooh, I really like this idea. Better not let Jack find out though, you know how he feels about Pandoran scum.

• Rakk Hive dies and they didn't investigate it for loot? WTF game am I playing?

• Oh, beautiful! Vasquez will never suspect. Though if he finds out, he might be pretty peeved about the whole 'hair' thing. Especially if he's still waiting to get his hands on Rhys' fine do.

• Well, Fiona and Sasha probably would if they were the ones stranded in the desert. I guess Rhys and Vaughn still haven't completely adapted to the scavenger lifestyle!

DoubleJump posted: »

Rakk Hive dies and they didn't investigate it for loot? WTF game am I playing?

• Rhys doesn't use loot though. Fiona does (with her wallet system). Rhys probably thinks he can just get anything from Hyperion or use his charm to get out of situations.

Well, Fiona and Sasha probably would if they were the ones stranded in the desert. I guess Rhys and Vaughn still haven't completely adapted to the scavenger lifestyle!

• Speaking of loot, I'm still waiting for the shield Rhys picked up in the Death Rally to come up again.

DoubleJump posted: »

Rakk Hive dies and they didn't investigate it for loot? WTF game am I playing?

• I've imagined Rhy's throwing off his Hyperion uniform like that when he finally decides he's never going back to Hyperion or doesn't want to go back.

Rhys's arm is meant for hacking, nothing more. If he punched a dude with it, he'd probably break it. It's like repeatedly bashing an iPhone

• Well Rhy's is a really bad fighter it's actually part of his character.

• I replayed the rally part, mostly because I accidentally agreed to Vasquez's deal. (oops.) So I didn't pick up the shield. Next time I can control Rhys in ep. 3, I'll check if I don't have it. BECAUSE I DON'T WANT IT!

Bluebirdo posted: »

Speaking of loot, I'm still waiting for the shield Rhys picked up in the Death Rally to come up again.

• His arm is supposed to be "delicate"? If you're gonna have a robot arm, why not make it super durable? Gaige was able to make a robot arm in a few hours that could smash concrete and summon her robot Deathtrap. I expect a lot more from Hyperion. Plus, his arm looks exactly like the arm of a Loader. So, if I can go off of my BL2 playthrough, it can at least take a couple of bullets! It would be reasonable to assume that he can punch with it.

• Loaders are designed for combat, Rhys' arm is designed purely to hack stuff so it doesn't need to be reinforced in order to withstand bullets. Also, Rhys manages to punch himself in the face with it (albeit involuntarily), so he could probably punch someone else with it.

His arm is supposed to be "delicate"? If you're gonna have a robot arm, why not make it super durable? Gaige was able to make a robot arm in

• Well he got it for data-mining kind of stuff, not fighting. Same as his echo eye and whatever cybernetics in his head.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.