What made you get Tales from the Borderlands

After browsing the forums, I've discovered that there are a number of people who bought Tales from the Borderlands and have never heard of the franchise previously. Honestly, I was surprised, since this game seemed like it would be marketed specifically to people who knew very well of and liked the Borderlands universe.

I'd consider myself the opposite. I am a die-hard Borderlands fan, but didn't really know all that much of Telltale games. (I've definitely heard of TWD from time to time) In the end though, this exposure has lead me to LOVE Telltale, and I'm saving up for The Wolf Among Us. :D

However, this question is for everyone when I ask: What specifically motivated you to buy Tales from the Borderlands?

For me, 2 reasons-

1. It's like I said, I love the Borderlands series. When I heard of this interesting story-based game, I figured I'd look into it.
  2. Patrick freaking Warburton

Alt text

That's all for me. What about you lovelies :D

Comments

• I told myself I'd wait for a review, but when it came out I watched 5 mins of it on youtube and then bought it right away ;3

• edited April 2015

My boyfriend got it for me as a birthday gift, since it came out a day or so before my birthday and he knew I liked Telltale games. I wasn't sure I wanted it though, since I had never played a Borderlands game and wasn't really interested in it. I'm glad I gave it a shot, it might just turn out to be one of my favorite games ever.

• If Telltale makes it, I buy it.

• ^^ My one rule of life.

If Telltale makes it, I buy it.

• This forum did and I definitely don't regret making that purchase

• Watched Cryaotic play it. Fell in love with Rhys. Got the game as a gift and signed up on the forums on New Years.

Been clinging to TellTale games ever since. And I've always developed an unhealthy lurking habit.

• Watched some gameplay footage and the game looked promising then I played it and I immediately fell in love with the world, the characters, the action, the music, and the style. It's just so fun and playful that I kind of want to play the other games to really get into this universe.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2015

The simple fact that it was made by Telltale is definitely why I got it. I never played Borderlands prior to the announcement that Telltale was making the game, then played a little bit of Borderlands 2 (and it didn't really draw me in, but I saw the potential with the humor). So, I pretty much played Tales from the Borderlands without knowing much about the franchise before hand.

This has been happening a lot for me in Telltale's latest games. Their earliest games were all franchises I'd already heard of (save for Bone, which I never heard of prior to Telltale making the Bone adaptations, and then read the whole comics series afterward). Most of Telltale's choices for franchises in recent years are ones I'd never experienced prior to the announcement of the game. For The Walking Dead, I watched one episode of the show to see if I liked the premise after Telltale announced their game (as I'm not usually a fan of zombie stories), found that I liked the premise a lot, and then really enjoyed Telltale's game.

I never played Team Fortress 2 prior to playing Poker Night, so I didn't know what I was going to think about it, but The Heavy ended up being one of my favorite characters. The same is true for Claptrap, Ash Williams, and Brock Samson in Poker Night 2. I have since watched Evil Dead, and didn't like it that much, although I'm now trying to track down Army of Darkness as the turn towards the silly seems like it might just be my cup of tea (and would definitely be more in tone with the Ash Williams that is presented in Poker Night 2). I have also since watched the first season of The Venture Bros, and really liked it a lot.

For Game of Thrones, I had absolutely no knowledge of it going into it (I have never watched the show or read the books, and still haven't), but I'm enjoying Telltale's take on it so far. Telltale does live up to it's name, as they really do know how to tell tales. I have found all of their stories to be enjoyable (although I'll admit that I was one of the bunch that wasn't too into The Walking Dead Season Two, although they managed to redeem the story in the finale in my opinion).

If Telltale makes it, I buy it.

• I Played this game because it's from TTG. I Love TTG. But now I ALSO love original Borderlands series thanks to Tales.

• For a long time, I questioned Telltale decision to make Tales from the Borderlands, because all I knew from the game is that it was a shooter. But eventually, I decided to give the Borderlands setting a chance by buying Borderlands 2 and played it through.

And it was amazing.

I was surprised at the smart, witty and funny dialogue between the characters and the genuinely positive and laidback setting that stands as a contrast to the darkness of the Walking Dead. I decided, you know what? I am on!

So yeah, I have been loving Tales of the Borderlands ever since, arguably the game exceeded my expectation. :)

• I knew about Borderlands, but haven't actually played it (or a Telltale game - never thought I'd be into point-and-click) until like a week or so ago. Ten minutes in and I was buying everything tangentially Handsome Jack related. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• This trailer.

Trailer

So amazing.

• I love the Borderlands universe and I was really impressed by The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (especially TWAU, which is based on one of my all time favorite comics! ^_^ )

I was a little skeptical at first, because I didn't know how the Borderlands universe would mesh with Telltale's style, then I saw the trailer and I knew it would be awesome.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Because it was made by Telltale even when this game was scoffed at I never doubted.

• it took you that long to make a decision, took me like 30 seconds.

Poogers555 posted: »

I told myself I'd wait for a review, but when it came out I watched 5 mins of it on youtube and then bought it right away ;3

• After watching the trailer that Pipas posted, I became interested, but was still hesitant in buying it. After watching Yogscast Hannah, I fell in love with it and bought it as soon as I came into some money. And after playing Tales, I've become interested in buying Borderlands 2.

• I was interested as soon it was announced, since I really wanted a Borderlands game that would focus more on the story. I had never heard of TTG before that, but I decided to buy it anyway, just because it was Borderlands. So far I'm happy with what I purchased, I just wish I didn't have to wait 3+ months for each episode.

• This forum can be a bit weird sometimes XD.
    I'm guessing you're into that.

This forum did and I definitely don't regret making that purchase

• After browsing the forums, I've discovered that there are a number of people who bought Tales from the Borderlands and have never heard of the franchise previously. Honestly, I was surprised, since this game seemed like it would be marketed specifically to people who knew very well of and liked the Borderlands universe.

Why? For me it was the other way around. I liked TftB (and "liked" doesn't begin to cover it) - got BL2 and TPS. For some reason, I've missed BL completely and never heard of it before playing TftB.
    I knew about TellTale and liked TWAU but hype for it was very short, and I can't say I tracked every game they were making so it's a miracle one of the letsplayers I often watch on youtube decided to play it. Funny enough, he also considered TftB to be the best TT game so far, and I just can't help but agree.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

This forum can be a bit weird sometimes XD. I'm guessing you're into that.

Alt text

• Yep. This here proves it.

You guys XD

dojo32161 posted: »

• I adore the Borderlands series and hearing Telltale making their own story with it was an instant buy in my book. Although I was worried how are they going to pull it off since it's all about the guns baby in that game. Granted the story was very good, in fact I would say the best fps story I played. After previous Telltale games I knew they would truly stick with the original source material and bring grade A quality to this series.

• edited April 2015

I watched Yogscast Hannah's playthrough of EP1 and at that point I already loved telltales format and humour through watching playthroughs of their other games even if I hadn't played one myself, so I bought it at the steam christmas sales and I regret nothing.

I also had to buy it after the ending of EP1 just so I could run around making terrible decisions for the sake of ruining every characters make belief lives.

• I got it because Telltale was making it. I was marginally familiar with Borderlands beforehand (and played a little bit of Borderlands 2 prior to the release of Poker Night 2 to acquaint myself with Borderlands humor since Claptrap was in Poker Night 2), but I'd definitely say it was first and foremost the fact that it came from Telltale.

• This has been happening a lot for me in Telltale's latest games. Their earliest games were all franchises I'd already heard of (save for Bone, which I never heard of prior to Telltale making the Bone adaptations, and then read the whole comics series afterward). Most of Telltale's choices for franchises in recent years are ones I'd never experienced prior to the announcement of the game.

I'm almost the entire opposite with Telltale's earlier games. The only franchises I was familiar with were the franchises that became sort of niche for Telltale, such as Wallace and Gromit, Bone, CSI, etc. My first Telltale game was Episode 104 of Sam and Max, and I think at that point Telltale had finished Season 2 and was working on Strong Bad. Even now, I pretty much go in blind (huehue obligatory Blind Sniper pun) to each Telltale game, as it acts as my introduction to the source material.

Jennifer posted: »

The simple fact that it was made by Telltale is definitely why I got it. I never played Borderlands prior to the announcement that Telltale

• I got to go to PAX Prime, and there was this fancy demo for a new Borderlands game, and I do love Borderlands games.

Instantly fell in love with Rhys and Fiona from the demo, bought the game the second it came out.

• edited April 2015

I got interested in Borderlands when Wolf Among Us was over (since at the time I didn't know anything about Game of Thrones), so I bought Borderlands 2 and it's one of my favorite games, I was blown away by it.

So I was very excited for a full out story-based game on the universe so it's why I bought it the day it launched. Shame I personally haven't been enjoying it as much as I wanted to, a 7/10 game for me right now.

• TWD1, TWAU TWD2 see the pattern? Had to buy this since I love borderlands and I love TT games it was an instant must have

• edited April 2015

I bought the telltale games bundle on ps4. I thought: "Hey! 5 telltale games for the price of just under 2, great! (it was on sale). I wanted it just in case TWD S3 was only going to be next-gen (I looooooove the walking dead games, played all of S2 with my friend) , so it seemed like a good deal. I played some of TWD and then I decided to go into borderlands, having barely any knowledge other than "HANDSOME JACK IS THE VILLAIN IN BORDERLANDS 2!!!" I played it, then looked at some of the lore on BL2 and the pre-sequel, then I was ready for ep. 2. The others in the bundle were cool too, but this IS a TFTB forum.
    PS: game of thrones is the most intense game I have played EVER.
    PPS: sorry for rambling.

1. It's a game from Telltale.
    2. Troy Baker is in it.
    3. Heard a lot of positive reviews from you guys.
  • edited April 2015

I watched Cry stream episode 1 and loved it, but I don't really have the means to easily buy and download games online so I just left it as a game I would watch. BUT, I watched him stream ep. 2 and fell so utterly in love that I had to go buy it so I could make my own choices. Then I went and bought Borderlands 2 as well even though I've never really played an fps before. The characters and humor in general really made me love TFTBL(and that killer opening for episode 2, wow), and Jack in particular got me curious over the other borderlands games too.

• Loved Borderlands, loved Telltale, just the game being mentioned made me buy it.

• After seeing the very first trailer of Tales I knew I had to buy it. Because come on, it's Telltale! And after the absolute awesomness that episode 1 was I got myself to actually finish Borderlands 2.

• What made you get Tales from the Borderlands?

It's Telltale. And the fact that Troy Baker (who is in EVERYTHING video games nowadays) was leading it was just the icing on the cake.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.