Do you play with subtitles?

Since Tales has a lot of jokes and funny moment, I feel that I would have laughed more if I didn't know before hand what the characters are going to say. Like when Rhys said "I will name my first-born....Loader Bot." I feel that I would have laughed more at what he said if there wasn't subtitles.

So, do you play with or without subtitles?

Comments

• I play with the subtitles mostly because my first language isn't English and I can't understand this language when spoken for some reason, but I can translate it if I see the text.

Also, some subtitles were adding some humor to the lines like

''This is all what Dahl is for, amirite?''

or

''Ohmygawd, can you tell him that we're friends?''

• I play with the subtitles on, like Crips said, some of them are pretty funny and add some humor.

• They're actually not put on by default

I think the better question would be; "Do you play without subtitles?" Considering subtitles are put on by default, I'm sure at least 95% play with them on. Plus it just adds to the experience in my opinion.

• edited May 2015

I think the better question would be; "Do you play without subtitles?"

Considering subtitles are put on by default, I'm sure at least 95% play with them on.

Plus it just adds to the experience in my opinion.

• I play with subtitles on because I want to.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I play without subtitles as i personally don't need them.

• Are they not? I could have sworn they were on by default for me.

Sorry. My bad.

Crips posted: »

They're actually not put on by default

• No, I personally don't need them and I find myself reading them and not looking at the action

• Yep, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't understand everything otherwise since English is not my first language.

• Yes, I remember I started Episode 1 after it came out without putting them on

Don't worry tho ^^

Are they not? I could have sworn they were on by default for me. Sorry. My bad.

• I always have subtitles on. I have issues hearing in my left ear and sometimes someone will try to talk to me while I play. Plus I usually stream episodes when they come out, so if I talk over something, people watching can still tell what was said.

• You're Czech 8)

Slavic Power xD

Pipas posted: »

Yep, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't understand everything otherwise since English is not my first language.

• Ayy

Alt text

You're Czech 8) Slavic Power xD

• I play every game with the subtitles on, even if I don't need them. It's a habit already really, I feel almost uncomfortable without them on the screen.

For TTG's games it's also because English isn't my native language.

• Alt text

it's dapnee jeez bro learn those things XD

• I usually stream

Alt text

Dapnee posted: »

I always have subtitles on. I have issues hearing in my left ear and sometimes someone will try to talk to me while I play. Plus I usually stream episodes when they come out, so if I talk over something, people watching can still tell what was said.

• it's dapnee

jeez bro learn those things XD

I usually stream

• I play with subtitles on, not because I wouldn't understand what's being said, but because among all other things I like with them being on, if there is for a small example a name of something mentioned it's always going to be spelled out so I'll always know how it's spelled. Of course not only because of that, but because it's a habit, like the poster above me said. It just doesn't feel right to play without them. But I do understand what the OP means by saying what he/she did. Subtitles can spoil surprises a few seconds before they are supposed to actually be revealed, which is kind of not a big deal, but it can take a bit away from the game's impact sometimes, but I don't mind that kind of thing at all.

• I personally play with them on, but I'm one of those weird types who likes having subtitles on when I watch TV shows/movies despite the fact that English is my first language and my hearing's fine.

I think I have narrative FOMO, I can't bear to think I've missed/misheard some crucial part of the story!

• English is my first language, I hear well, but I use subtitles on everything: TV, movies, video games, even YouTube videos as long as the text doesn't cover half the screen. I hate going back because I misheard something. I also think it's a nice touch for Telltale to color-code their subtitles, so I know who's saying what.

• I play with subtitles on, but it's never ruined a joke for me so far. I only glance at them if a character is speaking too quietly for me to hear properly. It's a habit, I do it with all my games.

• alchemyinacan on twitch, though I don't stream much anymore, just new episodes/when I'm not playing with friends.

I usually stream

• People who talk during cutscenes are as bad as (and sometimes worse than) people who talk while you're trying to read a book. UGH!

Dapnee posted: »

I always have subtitles on. I have issues hearing in my left ear and sometimes someone will try to talk to me while I play. Plus I usually stream episodes when they come out, so if I talk over something, people watching can still tell what was said.

• Well I would've agreed but often I can't hear what they're saying since I'm laughing my ass off in that moment.

• For me I have to deal with someone slamming my door open and talking quietly, like they can't hear how loud my headphones are, and then they get angry when I ask them to repeat.

nursethalia posted: »

People who talk during cutscenes are as bad as (and sometimes worse than) people who talk while you're trying to read a book. UGH!

• I play with subtitles because I could barely understand them otherwise. English is my second language and I've no problem with writing or reading english, but when it comes to speaking and listening, I'm kinda screwed :D it never ruined a joke for me and helped me preparing for the decisions. reading just works better for me

• I play with subtitles even though English is my native language. Only cause I just don't want to miss anything and it works better than any other game I've played.

• I play with subtitles on because I do like to know how names of people or places are spelt, and when it comes to memorization (like Sasha telling me what Eden I got the vault key from) it helps.

Also, sometimes, it can reveal a speaking part that's hard to hear for whatever reason. For example, the whole time Jack was telling me to call Vasquez Wallethead, Vasquez was saying "perhaps the only difference between you and me is that I'm the one holding a gun. But that's a pretty big difference." I only understood that he said that by the subtitles because Jack was talking over him, and it did partly affect my dialogue decision.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I do, and I have absolutely no idea why, maybe I just like the colors?

Scratch that, I put subtitles on for every game I play, I have no idea why.

• I do, because it can unveil dialogue that was too loud or quiet to understand.

• I play with them. I don't actually need them but it's reassuring to have them in case you actually failed to understand what they had said because you got distracted or something. It was more useful in GoT, through, especially when some of the people have some weird accents

• yeah, same here. that's a problem sometimes as well.

I do, because it can unveil dialogue that was too loud or quiet to understand.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.