The United Federation of Charles gives Atlas Mugged 10/10

I know, because I wrote the review.

:-p

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2015/05/tales-from-borderlands-episode-2-atlas.html

No, seriously, I was skeptical of the game from the beginning because I loved the Borderlands universe and I loved Telltale games but I wasn't sure if they were two tastes which would go great together. They really managed to do a great balance of continuity, humor, action, and world-building this time. I was even touched a few times by the events in game (mostly because I killed Felix in the first episode). The surprise appearances also made me deliriously happy.

And I'm not an easy man to please.

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I see you met Janey, didn't get to see her in my game.

• That was sort of weird since you'd think she'd show up no matter what the situation.

dojo32161 posted: »

I see you met Janey, didn't get to see her in my game.

Traveling by Loader Bot is probably faster than traveling by foot, so maybe the group left before she ever arrived?

That was sort of weird since you'd think she'd show up no matter what the situation.

• I was wondering if you would post a review of Atlas Mugged. I'm glad that you are still around. :D

• I was a great deal behind on reviewing this due to the switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One. It meant I had to replay my Game of Thrones Episodes and TFTB in order to do my reviews of any new content. The new system runs much-much better, at least, so its not a constant exercise in waiting but meant things slowed down considerably (also I just was very very busy).

On the plus side, as mentioned, I really-really liked this episode and hope to see the next one soon.

• edited May 2015

Some spoiler comments.

• I think Vaughn did betray Rhys and wasn't playing coy not because Vaughn is a bad person but because he got way-way in over his head. People will often agree to things under coercion and this is the coercion of being stuck on Pandora (which we see him trying to make the best of--but is frightening for any sane person). Obviously, he regrets it, but that's what redemption and throwing the Emperor down a reactor shaft is for.

• I like the way Athena was portrayed in my playthrough because she's a true genuine TANK of a character and the Vault Hunters being terrifying unstoppable badasses like in the game is just uber-enjoyable. I hope we get to see my favorites Axton, Gauge, and Lilith in the near and not-so-near future. I also like the only way you're able to stop her is by fleeing before getting her girlfriend involved (not sure how that happens in the other version).

• I am torn on August because while I should think he's a terrifying stalker and a murderer, the fact is this IS Pandora. Why in the world should I try and I act like I have the moral high ground over him? I tried to steal 10,000,000 credits from him (I have no doubt we weren't going to leave the money with him) and broke his heart. I'm just saying, it takes more than shooting a guy in the floor of his bar to make me think he's a bad person.

• I like Vasquez much-much more as a quirky mid-boss than the actual Big Bad of the season. Seeing him as a desperate and incompetent type just like our heroes actually makes me like him more. I also like the fact he wants to make Rhys into a wallet. That was dark. :

• I'm curious what everyone's relationship between Handsome Jack and their Rhys is. Because I like the fact my Rhys admires him and has bought into the propaganda of the Hyperion corporation and believes Jack was awesome--but he's not entirely unaware Jack was a crazed madman too. While it's unlikely, my headcanon is Rhys was from Elpis and still thinks of Jack as the Hero of the Pre-Sequel. Yeah, it'll probably be disproven (and he's not Australian) but I like portraying him as a guy who is getting a face-full of "Jack wasn't actually a hero, he was kind of a psychopath." Not hard with the strangling scene.

• The spork scene was totally an homage to Alias.

edited May 2015

I also like the only way you're able to stop her is by fleeing before getting her girlfriend involved (not sure how that happens in the other version).

Loader Bot comes in to save the day and you meet Rhys and Vaughn at Scooter's, you don't see Janey, although Fiona seems to be flubbing her story a bit as the kidnapper points out that Loaders can't throw people across town.

Here, it starts at 1:09:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C4Qij1haVE

Sign in to comment in this discussion.