Theories: as of Episode 2

2»

Comments

• This is part of what prompted me to think that he and Fiona had gotten rich off of something other than Gortys, and then, consequently, lost interest in Gortys and just abandoned their quest in favor of being alive and rich.

But, hey, I just had a wild, crazy theory...kinda. What if Rhys and Fiona are fighting over the thing that Rhys is tracking at the start of Ep 1? ...Okay, yep, that's an incredibly predictable theory. But also, what if that thing is a set of keys to a space shuttle thing that only fits one person, so only Rhys or Fiona can leave, and that's what Rhys is talking about when he say "We can work this out."

LOL, I genuinely hope it's something less contrived than that, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. =)

OreoAnarchy posted: »

I just think this was an interesting piece of information. He doesn't seem to be interested in Gortys anymore. Could his dispute with Fiona be over money? Gah, I don't know. Analysers, analyse away.

• I'm of the opinion that the person who captured them both is working with Fiona. Might be Sasha, or Vaughn.

• I always thought he was just trying to throw The Stranger off Gortys trail - and so he starts his suave Hyperion routine to downplay its true value.

OreoAnarchy posted: »

I just think this was an interesting piece of information. He doesn't seem to be interested in Gortys anymore. Could his dispute with Fiona be over money? Gah, I don't know. Analysers, analyse away.

• maybe Rhys got himself a new arm and eye because he doesnt want to be a part of Hyperion anymore?
    • maybe Rhys and Fiona are the most wanted persons on Pandora now? because they are the only ones who can use the Gortys Core?
      I dunno.

soon we will know more
    ._.

• That's something I was thinking too. Like, it's suspicious that he captured her first-offscreen- and yet he waited until Rhys was there to ask Fiona for her story. Plus he knew Rhys was tracking her and he must have taken whatever was being tracked to find him, so maybe she actually gave him the tracked item?

But really the clearest evidence that the Stranger has preference for Fiona is that he let her punch Rhys in the neck. Rhys is a very punchable person though so maybe its nothing.

Nikolizzle posted: »

I'm of the opinion that the person who captured them both is working with Fiona. Might be Sasha, or Vaughn.

• edited June 2015

Stranger removes helmet

It's Rolandtrap

Imagine that.

Imagine everyone going "who the fuck is Roland?"

• And then Rolandtrap removes his helmet and it's Jack (the real one) doing his awesome Roland impression and talking about milkshakes.

Aaira posted: »

Stranger removes helmet It's Rolandtrap Imagine that. Imagine everyone going "who the fuck is Roland?"

• I don't know if you guys played borderlands 2, but at the end of the 4th DLC (Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep) Maya says something that I believe will play a very large part in Tales From the Borderlands. She says, "Hey guys, that spy just coughed up the access codes to the Hyperion moon base. Anybody feel like blowing up a space station?" At first, I thought they were going to save that for Borderlands 3, but then I noticed that every scene in present day does not show the moon or the hyperion moon base. That is very unusual for borderlands, because almost every time they are outside, during the story telling sections, you can see the moon with the hyperion moon base. This may be a coincidence, but I like to think it was intentional.

If you want to see the Maya Quote for yourself, it is from 3:56 to 4:05

• I think you see the moonbase at one point in the present tho. I was looking for it for the reason you brought up and it still seems to be there when the stranger is leading Rhys and Fiona around.

tumnus555 posted: »

I don't know if you guys played borderlands 2, but at the end of the 4th DLC (Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep) Maya says something that I

• Did you guys notice that Fiona made a remark about Rhys's haircut but says nothing about his new mechanical arm. Does that mean they were working together atleast until the point they where he got that arm but separated after which Rhys got a haircut.

Also judging how they interact with each other in the present Fiona does seem little more pissed off him at usual while Rhy's 'Wee can work it out' line seems an attempt at reconciliation.

The whole ordeal seems as if they were working together atleast till the point where Rhys got a new mechanical arm after which Rhys betrays her & starts working with someone else. Maybe the haircut signifies a change of alliance ?

TWDGFTW posted: »

This is part of what prompted me to think that he and Fiona had gotten rich off of something other than Gortys, and then, consequently, lost

• Damn, you're right. I just went through and watched the parts of the episodes that are in present day and I found them show it once for literally one or two seconds. It's in the very beginning when Rhys is being dragged by the stranger. Too bad... it would have been cool.

If you are interested in seeing where it is, it starts around 2:46 on the video below.

Clause posted: »

I think you see the moonbase at one point in the present tho. I was looking for it for the reason you brought up and it still seems to be there when the stranger is leading Rhys and Fiona around.

• edited June 2015

Sort of a ridiculous ball park theory but back in episode one when Vasquez is talking on the phone with August about the deal, right at the end he asks August to "say hi to your mom", which sounds quite condescending and joking but maybe he was being sincere about it. You can ask August how he knows Vasquez in episode 2 when you're playing as Fiona and he mentions they've met quite a few times before. Honestly this makes me wonder who else Vasquez has met down on Pandora, including Vallory.

Basically to stop beating around the bush: Vallory is not just August's boss, she's his mother. So Vasquez was asking August to say hello to Vallory for him, which is quite a nice and courteous thing of him to do tbh.

• I like this theory - what you think is just a random throwaway gag actually has meaning and hints at a relationship that may have more light shed on it in the future!

chordati posted: »

Sort of a ridiculous ball park theory but back in episode one when Vasquez is talking on the phone with August about the deal, right at the

• I've listened to a lot of cut dialogue and I can confirm that August is in fact Vallory's son, or at least was in an early version.

Sort of a ridiculous ball park theory but back in episode one when Vasquez is talking on the phone with August about the deal, right at the

• edited June 2015

I just thought it was a pretty great joke that Fiona made such a weak attempt at making fun of Rhys by saying sarcastically that he had a nice haircut when, really, "It IS a nice haircut!" LMAO But I like the idea that the humor here might be hiding the fact that Fiona hadn't seen Rhys's haircut yet. =)

Saveus posted: »

Did you guys notice that Fiona made a remark about Rhys's haircut but says nothing about his new mechanical arm. Does that mean they were wo

• edited June 2015

August: "Oh, yeah? You say hi to YOUR- he hung up." LOL =)

• So, here's a comment/theory I wrote on this post regarding the possible parallels between Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and TFTB.

Yeah, there are a lot of parallells, but a lot of significant differences too. For instance, Rhys may have many things in common with Jack, but he has at least one important difference. Jack saw himself as a hero. Rhys sees himself as a bad guy. (In Ep 1, he says, "So I guess that makes me one of the bad guys of this story.") So, if Jack thought himself a hero and turned into a villain....Then Rhys, who sees himself as a villain, will turn into a hero!

There's a good chance anyway. I think. =)

• The knowledge is around the corner. insert classic clementine and lee gif that i do not have handy

Kruzii posted: »

* maybe Rhys got himself a new arm and eye because he doesnt want to be a part of Hyperion anymore? * maybe Rhys and Fiona are the most wan

• Some other theories I've had include that Vallory is that woman with Felix in the picture you see when looking around Felix's place for the stash of money and gifts. Also, Vallory is the woman in the "next time" teaser at the end of ep 2, and she tears off Felix from the picture because he's already dead (either in the case explosion of by Vallory herself) and she's trying to kill Fiona and Sasha next.

• Also, something that's not being said just yet (I didn't go to Old Haven first so i'm not sure if this gives any insight to it) is that Athena seems to be... Possessed by something. Red eyes, demonic voice... Probably has something to do with the ending of the pre-sequel.

However, in the "Next Time on Tales From The Borderlands" bit, and in the new screenshots, she looks like the regular Athena. Any thoughts on this?

• Maybe she just got some new robotic enhancements in her eyes that glow red, but I'm not sure how she would afford those since she seems desperate for money right now. My only other real thought is that her eyes have always been like that somehow and we just never saw it before because you don't actually get to LOOK at her much in the pre-sequel. But I could be totally and completely wrong, since I haven't played the pre-sequel. I just watched a playthrough of it on YouTube, and I think Athena's also in the first Borderlands which I haven't watched at all, so....I really don't know.

Also, something that's not being said just yet (I didn't go to Old Haven first so i'm not sure if this gives any insight to it) is that Athe

• Some people think that it's just Fiona exaggerating Athena's terrifying appearance to fit with how scared of her Fiona was in those scenes, and that's perhaps why her eyes are back to normal in ep. 3. I think that's possible, though I'm still not entirely convinced. This whole 'unreliable narrator' thing is really cool, but Borderlands is perhaps not the best world to have it in, as it's often so crazy and unpredictable that you feel as if anything could happen in reality even if it seems really ridiculous, so it could be hard to tell if a particularly wacky scene is just a 'hey, that's Pandora for ya!' kind of moment, or whether it's embellished by Rhys or Fiona. But anyway, I think it's also possible that Athena perhaps was subjected to some kind of psychological conditioning by Atlas. Her ECHO recordings in TPS (as well as the scene where she's being interrogated by Lilith) say that the Atlas Corp. raised her and trained her as a killer from her early childhood, so it's not unlikely that they conditioned her to just suddenly become a completely amoral killing machine with the right stimulus, which could explain her glowing red eyes and scary voice.

Also, something that's not being said just yet (I didn't go to Old Haven first so i'm not sure if this gives any insight to it) is that Athe

• Maybe he said "Say hi to your mom" to taunt august for not including Vallory into the deal?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.