XCOM Megathread Playthrough.

I asked for volunteers from the "Whatever's on your mind Megathread" to be soldiers in a playthrough of XCOM Enemy Unknown. These are the results of that game. I originally started on Classic Ironman, but rage quit after a rocket did zero damage to a floater that ended up getting the squad wiped. I started over without Ironman so I was able to re load a save from before the game glitched out when things like this happened. (This did happen again, as well as clusters of enemies appearing near the end of my turn in places I had already looked that same turn.) I had to just start taking names I recognized from the Megathread because there were not enough volunteers. I did not name soldiers until they had been promoted to squaddie(or until I used them after I bought 'New Guy' from OST) for two reasons; 1, I didn't want to be stuck with 6 forum user snipers. 2, there were not enough volunteers. The difficulty was classic with the 'second wave' options enabled for random soldier starting and leveling stats, random country funding amounts, and random mission rewards. The base was North America.

Volunteers- Papai46, GoldenPaladin, dojo32161, NoHopeLeft, Kaleion, Markd4547, Crazed Rabbit, Raging_Blades, Saltlick123, and PuhChewyChomp(Me).

Draftees- InGen_Nate_Kenny, LehFeels, Blind_Sniper, Tobi-is-A-Good-Boy, AwesomeO, JustinCage, Green613, AmazingAura01, OzzyUK.

Start: 1 March 2015.

8 April 2015, Operation Black Vanguard. UFO landing, Argentina(River).
KIA- Sq. Crazed Rabbit. Class: Heavy. 1 kill, 2 missions. Killed by: Floater rifle. Full cover, long range, critical one shot kill. Died covering NoHopeLeft as they flanked around the UFO. No aliens spotted until this point. Raging Blades, Kaleion, and Crazed Rabbit waiting in a firing line behind trees across from the UFO as NoHopeLeft moved around the right of the UFO. NoHope found 3 floaters on top a hill next to the UFO and retreated. Crazed Rabbit fired at the floaters, the floaters fired back and killed Rabbit. NoHopeLeft killed all the floaters with critical shots, and went on to kill at least 4 sectoids.

9 May 2015, Operation Vengeful Skull. Alien abduction, Australia(Offices).
KIA- Lt. Raging Blades 'Vita'. Class-Support. 2 kills, 5 missions. Killed by: Muton rifle. No cover, mid range. Team stacked on two doors, hearing aliens on the other side. 3 mutons were waiting for them. Team missed all shots. Muton 1 destroyed the team's cover with a grenade. Muton 2 killed Raging with the plasma rifle. Muton 3 killed a rookie with the plasma rifle. The mutons were eventually killed with multiple rockets by Papai46.

15 May 2015, Operation Banished Future. Bomb disposal, USA(Trainyard).
KIA- Sq. InGen NateKenny. Class: Support. 2 kills, 3 missions. Killed by: Thin man plasma rifle. Full cover, close range, critical hit. Thin men dropped in all around the team after the bomb was defused. Lots of misses on reaction shots and the next turn. InGen was unlucky.

26 June 2015, Operation Vengeful Fist. Terror Attack, Canada(Police Station).
KIA- Cpt. Mark d4547 'Shotsy'. Class: Assault. 18 kills, 13 missions. Killed by: Cyberdisk cannon. Full cover, flanked, mid range, critical one shot kill. Team in a firing line at the front of the building. Chrysalids, zombies, floaters, drones and a cyberdisk spotted inside. Chrysalids targeted first. Only took the cyberdisk one turn to move around the side of the building and flank the team. It picked Mark, could have been anyone. (There were so many god damn Chrysalids and zombies.)

18 July 2015, Operation Hidden Gift. UFO landing, USA(Abductor).
KIA- Sq. Justin Cage. Class: Support. 1 kill, 2 missions. Killed by: Muton plasma rifle. 1/2 cover, mid range.

Sgt. Leh Feels 'Loco'. Class: Assault. 5 kills, 6 missions. Killed by: Muton plasma rifle. Full cover, mid range. 5 mutons inside the entrance to the abductor. LehFeels was in half cover right in front of them, Justin was moved up next to him as a distraction while a support threw smoke on Leh Feels. 3 mutons targeted Justin, he died. Feels took a hit but lived long enough to get to high cover right next to the support. I forgot to heal him, the mutons killed him. I could not for the life of me get the heavy close enough to fire a rocket. Also I should have just gone around the side of the UFO.

8 August 2015, Operation Forgotten Apollo. UFO landing, (Forgot location, Woods)
KIA- Sq. Awesome O. Class: Support. 5 kills, 2 missions. Killed by: Muton plasma rifle. No cover, mid range. 2 mutons, first destroyed the tree AwesomeO was using as cover with a grenade, AwesomeO panicked and went into the fetal position. Second muton killed them. They had elevation on the team from a ridge, everyone was missing, but killed the mutons immediately after AwesomeO died.

21 September 2015, Operation Twisted Bell. Council Mission, Extermination, Mexico(Highway).
KIA- Cpt. Green 613 'Sentinel'. Class: Support. 0 kills, 3 missions. Killed by: Muton plasma rifle. 1/2 cover, long range. Everything went wrong immediately on this mission. First of all I have never encountered an extermination council mission before in my life so that threw me off. Then none of the 3 mutons I first encountered were missing, and none of the team was landing their shots. I couldn't flank them because I threw a scanner the first turn and found two more packs of three mutons right next to the three I was fighting. Tried healing injured soldiers that just got shot again right after. Decided to retreat and extract. Somehow woke up another three mutons, so had to avoid 6 mutons as the team extracted. Green was the only soldier with full cover for the whole fight and was the last to pull back, and was flanked, shot, and suppressed just before they could run away. Green was able to avoid the reaction shot with smoke and by sprinting as far away as they could, behind a destroyed car. It wasn't far enough away, killed during the alien's turn. The rest of the team extracted. That was like the 4th person with an arc thrower to die in a row.

28 September 2015, Operation Silent Summer. UFO landing, USA(Supply ship).
KIA- Cpt. Dojo 32161 'Ice'. Class: Sniper. 18 kills, 9 missions. Killed by: Berserker melee. Full & 1/2 cover, point blank, one hit kill. Dojo waited by the drop zone while the rest of the team went to kill 3 heavy floaters(Squad sight sniper). Right after the last floater died, during alien activity, a muton and a berserker came around the corner from the back of the ship, right under the ridge dojo was on top of. Berserker went into the fog of war right under dojo, and I thought he would have to go all the way around the ridge to get up to him so I had them shoot at the muton with his sniper rifle. They missed. I was wrong about the berserker, there was a ramp right next to dojo. It just walked up and slapped the shit out of them. The rest of the squad had sprinted over and killed the berserker right after. AmazingAura01 got the kill. And then a few minutes later...

Sq. Ozzy UK. Class: Assault. 4 kills, 4 missions. Killed by: Drone beam. 1/2 cover, close range.

Maj. Puh ChewyChomp 'Mama Bear'. Class: Heavy. 20 kills, 16 missions. Killed by: Cyberdisk death self-destruct. Cover n/a, critically wounded and bleeding out.

Sq. Amazing Aura01. Class: Support. 2 kills, 2 missions. Killed by: Drone beam. Full cover, flanked, close range.

The remaining 5 soldiers were all injured by a cyberdisk grenade and a chrysalid when they entered the ship. Later when moving through the center of the ship they heard another cyberdisk. Kaleion was moving around the right of the UFO. I was hoping to spot the cyberdisc with them and have it move toward Kaleion because they had the most health. Kaleion did find the cyberdisc, but it moved toward the other 4 soldiers in the middle of the UFO instead. So I had these other 4 soldiers behind the only cover they could find(1/2 cover). Puh was the last to act, and needed 13 damage to kill the cyberdisc, I wasn't at all worried about the drone. A rocket would not do 13 damage so I had to hope for a critical with the gatling laser. I moved Puh up closer to the disc to get a better shot, and spotted a second cyberdisc and drone right next to the first one. The gatling laser did 12 damage to disc 1. Disc 1 shot Puh down to 2 health, drone 1 critically wounded them. Disc 2 threw a grenade at Saltlick and Ozzy. Drone 2 killed Ozzy. Aura and Salt missed EVERY shot they took. Kaleion killed disc 1, the self-destruct injured drone 1 and it flew off. Kaleion killed disc 2, which fell directly on top of PuhChewyChomp as they were bleeding out, and exploded. 3 surviving soldiers moved to the bridge, found 2 outsiders inside that flanked everyone immediately. Kale and Salt move to flank outsider 1, Aura retreats but finds injured drone 1 around the corner. Aura misses an 80% shot on the drone with 2 health, and it shoots Aura down to 1 health. Outsider #1 shoots Salt, Salt panics and goes into the fetal position. Aura misses another 80% shot on the drone, and it kills Aura. Kaleion kills both Outsiders and Saltlick123 kills the drone.

17 October 2015, Operation Banished Mother. UFO landing, Canada(Abductor).
KIA- Sq. Blind Sniper. Class: Sniper. 2 kills, 4 missions. Killed by: Muton elite heavy plasma. 1/2 cover, LONG range, one shot kill. Only team member not in full cover and titan armor in a shootout with two muton elites. One muton had retreated, and the one that killed Blind was down to 2 health.

13 January 2016, Operation Avenger. Temple ship assault.
KIA- Saltlick123 'Scotch'(but was from Israel?). Class: Support, psionic. 16 health. 26 missions, 24 kills + 7 in Temple ship. Killed by: Temple ship explosion.(Gollup chamber)

The rest of the A-team(survivors):

Col. No HopeLeft 'Gunner'. Class: Assault, psionic. 24 health. 32 missions, 76 kills + 6 in Temple ship.

Col. Kale ion 'Wolverine'. Class: Assault. 26 health. 27 missions, 61 kills +3 in Temple ship.

Col. Papai 46 'Nero'. Class: Heavy. 20 Health. 29 missions, 56 kills + 5 in Temple ship.

Col. Golden Paladin 'Godfather'. Class: Sniper. 16 health. 29 missions, 86 kills + 6 in Temple ship.

Col. TobiIsA GoodBoy 'Romeo'. Class: Support. 24 health. 19 missions, 46 kills + 3 in Temple ship.

Some more stats.
43 wins, 1 loss. 461 kills, 15 deaths. (I didn't record rookie deaths.) 10 funding countries, 6 countries lost(All of Europe, Japan and India). Avg shot %-66.7. Avg dmg/shot-6.3. Avg turns/battle- 16.1. One shot kills-211. One shot deaths-8. Esplosive kills-43. First Colonel-117 days. 239 days in the infirmary. 2 Psy soldiers. 12 UFOs downed. 0 interceptors lost. Firestorm in 184 days. 2 interceptions aborted. 0 aims, 1 dodge, 0 boosts used. 51 scientists, 0 labs. 72 engineers, 2 workshops. 6 alien species captured.

Okay congrats if you read all that. I had to type a lot of it again because my god damn cat stepped on the surge protecter and shut everything off when I was about 1/3 of the way done.

Comments

• Whew, you put a lot of work into this and it's really awesome. I'm glad you did this, it was fun to read...Plus I was one of the survivors, also, I like the nickname "Godfather".

May the fallen Forum soldiers rest in peace.

• Thanks! I didn't pick your nicknames though, I just kept whatever name you got assigned. You were a killing machine in this, you had 92 kills out of the 461. Squad sight & In the zone is amazing.

Whew, you put a lot of work into this and it's really awesome. I'm glad you did this, it was fun to read...Plus I was one of the survivors, also, I like the nickname "Godfather". May the fallen Forum soldiers rest in peace.

• Around 1/4 of the kills...Quite proud of my virtual self.

Thanks! I didn't pick your nicknames though, I just kept whatever name you got assigned. You were a killing machine in this, you had 92 kills out of the 461. Squad sight & In the zone is amazing.

• Okay, this was seriously awesome! Great work putting this all together! It was quite an interesting read. And I'm actually surprised I was among the survivors.

• You were a beast.

NoHopeLeft posted: »

Okay, this was seriously awesome! Great work putting this all together! It was quite an interesting read. And I'm actually surprised I was among the survivors.

• I kind of lost the save to my game so I'm gonna have to restart it ;_;. You won't mind if I post the results on this thread when I totally win Chomp?

• I know your pain. Go ahead and post your results in here.

I kind of lost the save to my game so I'm gonna have to restart it ;_;. You won't mind if I post the results on this thread when I totally win Chomp?

• This gives a chance for everyone that died to survive. Except Green he still died on his second mission lol

I know your pain. Go ahead and post your results in here.

• This was kewl :)

• Hey thanks!

Saltlick123 posted: »

This was kewl

• edited June 2015

Nice a very fascinating concept and interesting idea and I died I love it 10/10 :'D

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Berserker went into the fog of war right under dojo, and I thought he would have to go all the way around the ridge to get up to him so I had them shoot at the muton with his sniper rifle. They missed. I was wrong about the berserker, there was a ramp right next to dojo. It just walked up and slapped the shit out of them.

You know what? That's a very fitting death.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.