ToMI Technical Issues?

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Anyone else having various issues with the game? It seems like the "errorundefined" thing is rather prevalent.

Personally, mine always crashes at the very end of the opening credits. The last shot I see is the sun with "Based on Characters created by Ron Gilbert", and then it closes. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I always get the error undefined, and the very first time i launched the game it crashed after the credits before the main menu then worked fine the next launch
  • edited July 2009
    After I clicked the install file, it took about 3 minutes before I got any windows... Install went relatively smooth. When I clicked icon to play, I got a bunch of errorundefined pop-ups, a black screen. Waited 5 minutes (I tried starting it 3 times now, all led to computer crashes) ... saw Lucas Arts and Telltale Games logos once, and got to the following menu:

tomi13425.jpg

I'm guessing there's supposed to be some text to the left there.. and a cursor. If not a cursor, I couldn't use the up and down keys either.

I'm pretty much raging my butt off right now, but I guess there's nothing I can do.
  • edited July 2009
    Standard questions: did you install the latest version of DirectX from the installed? Are your graphics (and other) drivers up to date?
  • edited July 2009
    For me, very much so.
  • fmbfmb
    edited July 2009
    I'm having similar problems. Every time i play the game itll work fine for about 10 or 15 minutes and then itll freeze the computer and the sound will start skipping and the signal to the monitor will stop.
  • edited July 2009
    I get the errorundefined message after i click on the shortcut, after i close it I can click launch game, and continue with no problems, is there a way to stop the message, and is this how the message comes up for everyone?
  • edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    I get the errorundefined message after i click on the shortcut, after i close it I can click launch game, and continue with no problems, is there a way to stop the message, and is this how the message comes up for everyone?

Many people are having this problem, try to ignore it for now.
  • edited July 2009
    Lead Eater wrote: »
    For me, very much so.

What hardware are you running?
  • edited July 2009
    I clicked Launch Game 2 minutes ago.. and I'm posting this waiting for the game to "start".

I hate my computer, or whatever's wrong. All Sam & Max games worked fine.

Telltale Games crew, tell me which computer you tested the game on so I can buy the same one.
  • edited July 2009
    Looks like a lot of people have bought the game without reaching the minimum specs D: I remember reading Telltale saying that they would refund people if it doesn't work, so looks like you peeps will either need to do that or get a better computer
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of people have bought the game without reaching the minimum specs D: I remember reading Telltale saying that they would refund people if it doesn't work, so looks like you peeps will either need to do that or get a better computer

That's probably a bit of a reach, given how Telltale games work on virtually anything.
  • edited July 2009
    I get the text in the menu, but a black screen otherwise. And all pictures where there should be text turn up black, like that recipe. I didn't get much further, though. Too choppy and unplayable. I need to go get a faster computer and a better video card. Oh wells.

Figured if Wallace and Grommit could run fine, this would.
  • edited July 2009
    Jerec84 wrote: »
    I get the text in the menu, but a black screen otherwise. And all pictures where there should be text turn up black, like that recipe. I didn't get much further, though. Too choppy and unplayable. I need to go get a faster computer and a better video card. Oh wells.

It ought. Don't be so quick to blame your hardware, as you're not the only person to encounter a similar problem.

It is worth making sure that your video card drivers are up to date (they release new ones virtually every other month for nvidia or ATI cards) in the meantime!
  • edited July 2009
    I was going to create a new topic but I'll just post it here:

The main menu is shown like this:
    mainmenur.jpg

Plus, ingame is REALLY slow.

My specs:
    Windows XP Professional
    CPU: AMD Sempron, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2600+
    RAM: 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)

I tried everything: reinstalling the game, installing the latest video drivers, using older ones.

DirectX was already updated to the latest version. Color depth is set to 32 bit.

I'm gonna rollback directx to an earlier version whenever I can but I doubt that would make a difference.

Any ideas?
  • edited July 2009

I'm getting exactly this.
  • edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, I have the dreaded Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (it's a laptop), which tends to take a big fat dump on any kind of pleasurable gaming experience I want to have. But at the same time, I downloaded Wallace and Gromit earlier today and it runs just fine. Why so much trouble with Monkey Island?
  • edited July 2009
    Nacholabs wrote: »
    This is at the lower end of workable graphics cards. Do you have the latest available display drivers installed?
    Are you able to run a demo of Wallace and Gromit?
  • edited July 2009
    I was going to create a new topic but I'll just post it here:

The main menu is shown like this:
    mainmenur.jpg

Plus, ingame is REALLY slow.

My specs:
    Windows XP Professional
    CPU: AMD Sempron, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2600+
    RAM: 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)

I tried everything: reinstalling the game, installing the latest video drivers, using older ones.

DirectX was already updated to the latest version. Color depth is set to 32 bit.

I'm gonna rollback directx to an earlier version whenever I can but I doubt that would make a difference.

Any ideas?

No ideas, sorry... Rather interesting observation though, what you see in your menu is the two things I DON'T see (scroll up to see pic I took of my screen)... text and cursor.
  • edited July 2009
    People are talking about setting graphics to 3 or less, but I'm not finding any options for that. Anywhere.
  • edited July 2009
    People are talking about setting graphics to 3 or less, but I'm not finding any options for that. Anywhere.

Read http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9652&page=2
  • edited July 2009
    Geforce 4 is a VERY old card that does not support most modern DirectX or OpenGL extensions. You can pick up really cheap entry level cards from nvidia or ATI for under $100.
  • edited July 2009
    I get the undefined thing when starting the launcher. doesn't do anything but... and the game froze once when I went towards the pier and it went into the map overview thing.
  • edited July 2009
    rhaith wrote: »
    Geforce 4 is a VERY old card that does not support most modern DirectX or OpenGL extensions. You can pick up really cheap entry level cards from nvidia or ATI for under $100.

Under $50, tops. Though getting an AGP card is a bit more tricky now.
    However, that Geforce card still meets the minimum specifications (64MB card supporting DX8.1), so it ought to be runnable.
  • edited July 2009
    i'm getting the same screen as well. never had a problem with any other telltale game until now.
  • edited July 2009
    Estel wrote: »
    Under $50, tops. Though getting an AGP card is a bit more tricky now.
    However, that Geforce card still meets the minimum specifications (64MB card supporting DX8.1), so it ought to be runnable.

Nope. Contrary to Geforce4 Ti cards, Geforce4 MX was the budget card of that line, and doesn't have full DX8.1 support. In terms of tech features, it's not any more advanced than the Geforce2 generation, and lacks hardware that even Geforce3 cards have had. See here. I'd go ask Telltale to make sure 100% about this - but if there's any of that stuff being implemented into the game you're out of luck.
    wiki wrote:
    In the features comparison chart between the Ti and MX lines, it showed that the only "feature" that was missing on the MX was the nfiniteFX II engine—the DirectX 8 programmable vertex and pixel shaders.[12] In reality, however, the GeForce4 MX was not a GeForce4 Ti with the shader hardware removed, as the MX's performance in games that did not use shaders was considerably behind the GeForce 4 Ti and GeForce 3. Disappointed enthusiasts described the GeForce4 MX as "GeForce 2 on steroids".

With a computer this old it'd be probably best to check for a real cheap card on ebay or something. Or buy a new one altogether if he has the money.
  • edited July 2009
    People are talking about setting graphics to 3 or less

Tried that. Didn't worked.
    This is at the lower end of workable graphics cards. Do you have the latest available display drivers installed?

I already told you I do.

Exactly my point. I know it's an old card but my pc specs are fine. So the game should run fine.
  • edited July 2009
    Nope. Contrary to Geforce4 Ti cards, Geforce4 MX was the budget card of that line, and doesn't have full DX8.1 support. See here. I'd go ask Telltale to make sure 100% about this - but if there's any of that stuff being implemented into the game you're out of luck.

Hrm, my mistake :(. My brief foray with Google implied that the 4400 MX was DX8.1 capable. If it isn't, then I'm afraid that Nacholabs can't really do anything about that...

If the ""feature" that was missing on the MX was the nfiniteFX II engine—the DirectX 8 programmable vertex and pixel shaders" then that's definitely the main bulk of DX8.1 that Telltale were likely to use.
  • edited July 2009
    Different issue for me.

Sound is studdering like crazy, only getting a frame rate of about 1 frame per second. Mouse cursor is not even updating a a decent rate. Haven't moved past the menu yet.

About to try a reboot and after that, on to another computer to try (I have 3 in the house, at least 1 of them has got to work).

This is the machine I'm trying it on: http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=HP+TX1420&rt=sp
  • edited July 2009
    ok dont know if this will help but it did for me, the errorundefined message stopped coming up for me after i deleted the shortcut it created and made a new 1.
  • edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    ok dont know if this will help but it did for me, the errorundefined message stopped coming up for me after i deleted the shortcut it created and made a new 1.

The undefined error message is just because the Telltale servers are so busy atm with everybody logging in!
  • edited July 2009

I'm having the same problem as Nacholabs. I've got a GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X. I have a vague recollection of a similar problem occurring when the very first Sam & Max episode came out a few years ago, but can't remember what the fix was. I thought it was a firewall or antivirus issue, but I've tried running the game with both of those turned off without any success. I'm browsing old support forum posts trying to find it. Of course, it's probably not the same issue, but it's giving me something to do ;)
  • edited July 2009
    mikebo wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem as Nacholabs. I've got a GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X. I have a vague recollection of a similar problem occurring when the very first Sam & Max episode came out a few years ago, but can't remember what the fix was. I thought it was a firewall or antivirus issue, but I've tried running the game with both of those turned off without any success. I'm browsing old support forum posts trying to find it. Of course, it's probably not the same issue, but it's giving me something to do ;)

Your card does support DX8.1 though :). Are all of your drivers and DX versions up to date?
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    If you have a GeForce 4 (Whatever version), your safest bet is to replace your graphic card. I'm sorry, but its the sad truth.
  • edited July 2009
    If the ""feature" that was missing on the MX was the nfiniteFX II engine—the DirectX 8 programmable vertex and pixel shaders" then that's definitely the main bulk of DX8.1 that Telltale were likely to use.

Probably depends on the shaders.... and those are not listed in the requirements. Does Wallace&Gromit run on a Geforce4 MX/Geforce2 and thereabouts? Those don't have any pixel shaders at all. In any case, best to ask Telltale about this. They're the ones who know what's cookin'. :D Given that my 8600GT appears to be struggling a tiny little bit occasionally during the introduction, I dunno if it's really worth playing this on something as old as a Geforce4, but then I've never tried! Sam&Max ran fine on my old computer running a Geforce4 ti.
  • edited July 2009
    Probably depends on the shaders.... and those are not listed in the requirements. Does Wallace&Gromit run on a Geforce4 MX/Geforce2 and thereabouts? Those don't have any pixel shaders at all. In any case, best to ask Telltale about this. They're the ones who know what's cookin'. :D

I've ended up just taking this page as gospel truth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
  • edited July 2009
    Anyone else having various issues with the game? It seems like the "errorundefined" thing is rather prevalent.

Personally, mine always crashes at the very end of the opening credits. The last shot I see is the sun with "Based on Characters created by Ron Gilbert", and then it closes. Anyone else have this problem?

You can still play the game with the "errorundefine" error but I get the same crash. have you figured it out?

I have:

NVIDIA 9800 with 1GB on board the card
    4GB of memory
    dual 2Ghz CPU

This can't be a graphics problem.

any answers?

Thanks,

ahab
  • edited July 2009
    In the support forum, people are solving some problems by changing from 16 to 32 bit colour
  • edited July 2009
    im having trouble with my cursor it takes me five minutes to click on anything
  • edited July 2009
    I've ended up just taking this page as gospel truth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

Good find! Kind of depends what Telltale means with DX 8.1. compliant card now. I mean, you can have DX 8.1. installed and running on any machine, it's just that certain cards can't support all of its features because the hardware just isn't there. This mostly concerns the shader units of a card, or lack of those e.g. for Spore you need a card with pixel shader 2.0 support or you're out. My guess is that a card that ran W&G fine should be fine with this too, but yeah... :D
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having some issues, too. There were no problems with my install - I didn't have the latest version of DivX and the downloading and installation of that seemed unusually slow, but otherwise nothing odd happened. After clicking on the desktop icon, I get this screen:

1z5kjfp.jpg

And then after clicking the launch button, the launch window closes itself and nothing happens for the longest time. After waiting, a small black box appears with the skull logo as seen above the video preview on the MI game page, and then a black screen takes over my entire monitor. And then nothing. At least, if something happens I haven't waited long enough, but nothing. I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of it. The second black screen also changes my computer's display settings, so I assumed at first this was the game trying to start up, but there are no other indications from my computer that anything is happening. No loading icon w/ the mouse, and it just doesn't sound like anything is starting up. (Does that make sense?)

My computer is fairly new - I'm running Vista Business on a Vaio I purchased last October. If I am looking up/remembering the correct specs, I have 4GB of memory, 2.4 GHz processor, and more that 50GB of space. I've scanned over the posts and I'm sorry if I missed anything relevant to my problem, but if anyone could offer me any help I'd really appreciate it. The Secret of Monkey Island was the only real computer game in my life growing up, and not until about four years ago did I find out there were three more and I can't tell you how excited I am for this game and how much I want it to work.

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.