ToMI Technical Issues?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'm having some issues, too. There were no problems with my install - I didn't have the latest version of DivX and the downloading and installation of that seemed unusually slow, but otherwise nothing odd happened. After clicking on the desktop icon, I get this screen:

And then after clicking the launch button, the launch window closes itself and nothing happens for the longest time. After waiting, a small black box appears with the skull logo as seen above the video preview on the MI game page, and then a black screen takes over my entire monitor. And then nothing. At least, if something happens I haven't waited long enough, but nothing. I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of it. The second black screen also changes my computer's display settings, so I assumed at first this was the game trying to start up, but there are no other indications from my computer that anything is happening. No loading icon w/ the mouse, and it just doesn't sound like anything is starting up. (Does that make sense?)

My computer is fairly new - I'm running Vista Business on a Vaio I purchased last October. If I am looking up/remembering the correct specs, I have 4GB of memory, 2.4 GHz processor, and more that 50GB of space. I've scanned over the posts and I'm sorry if I missed anything relevant to my problem, but if anyone could offer me any help I'd really appreciate it. The Secret of Monkey Island was the only real computer game in my life growing up, and not until about four years ago did I find out there were three more and I can't tell you how excited I am for this game and how much I want it to work.

Thank you!

I have this same problem too. Basically, you just have to sit there and wait. And wait. And wait some more. It does come up eventually, I swear. Just click the "Launch Game" button and then step outside for a smoke or something. It should be done when you get back. :P
  • edited July 2009
    I have this same problem too. Basically, you just have to sit there and wait. And wait. And wait some more. It does come up eventually, I swear. Just click the "Launch Game" button and then step outside for a smoke or something. It should be done when you get back. :P

Thanks - good to know. I'll start this up before I go to work tomorrow and see if it's going by the time I get back.
  • edited July 2009
    Is a GeForce Go 7400 fast enough to rum TOMI?
  • edited July 2009

I also got it running eventually but man is it friggin slow~! And when the game starts its like a slideshow...now I know why I prefer gaming on a console...pop it in and it works!
  • edited July 2009
    Lead Eater wrote: »
    After I clicked the install file, it took about 3 minutes before I got any windows... Install went relatively smooth. When I clicked icon to play, I got a bunch of errorundefined pop-ups, a black screen. Waited 5 minutes (I tried starting it 3 times now, all led to computer crashes) ... saw Lucas Arts and Telltale Games logos once, and got to the following menu:

tomi13425.jpg

I'm guessing there's supposed to be some text to the left there.. and a cursor. If not a cursor, I couldn't use the up and down keys either.

I'm pretty much raging my butt off right now, but I guess there's nothing I can do.

I am getting this too, and it's sad. I hope it gets fixed. I tried the prefs.prop, and all it did was make the game windowed and off-center and unresizable, so there went that idea.
  • edited July 2009
    I am getting this too, and it's sad. I hope it gets fixed. I tried the prefs.prop, and all it did was make the game windowed and off-center and unresizable, so there went that idea.

I'm getting this too :(
    sooooooooo annoying!

Please some one HELP! :eek:
  • edited July 2009
    I'm getting this too :(
    sooooooooo annoying!

Please some one HELP! :eek:

Same problem here!!:mad: *sighs*:(
    I really wanna play!
  • edited July 2009
    Can this be the issue?
    I have processor Intel(R) 965 express chipset family, is thats why it does´nt work??

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-011910.htm?iid=graphics+845main&
  • edited July 2009
    jackstyles wrote: »
    Is a GeForce Go 7400 fast enough to rum TOMI?

Yes, it ought to be.
  • edited July 2009
    Jessica wrote: »
    Can this be the issue?
    I have processor Intel(R) 965 express chipset family, is thats why it does´nt work??

That's what I have too, I'm pretty sure.
  • edited July 2009
    That's what I have too, I'm pretty sure.

Hmmm I wonder what to do then?:confused:
  • edited July 2009
    I also have processor Intel(R) 965 express chipset family. I have attached a link to a thread I found with someone with the same chipset having problems with W & G. The Telltale Team member says our video card isn't supported, but lists some suggestions to improve performance. Please let me know if anyone has any luck.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146442
  • edited July 2009
    I'm going to try this link when I get home for my lunch break.
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    Jerec84 wrote: »
    I get the text in the menu, but a black screen otherwise. And all pictures where there should be text turn up black, like that recipe. I didn't get much further, though. Too choppy and unplayable. I need to go get a faster computer and a better video card. Oh wells.

Figured if Wallace and Grommit could run fine, this would.

I'm having a similar issue. I've updated the drivers for my video card (nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200) with no change.
    The graphics otherwise work great - not slow and choppy at all. It seems that the only parts that are black are what's written on parchment (menus, voodoo recipe, inventory), which still makes it close to impossible to play. Sadness.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm hoping that I'm not the only one having this problem - here's the situation:

I downloaded and installed the game last night - it did update some of the components of Directx.

I'm running a Vista (32-bit) laptop.

It's an Alienware M-17, with 4 GB of RAM, and Two NVIDIA video cards in SLI - dont' remember the models, but the hardware I've got should be more than sufficient to play.

After the game was installed, I gave it my credentials and began to play.

I actually played several times last night, enjoying myself until it was time to go to bed.

This morning, I tried to launch the game again.

The game launched, and the "Tales of Monkey Island - Avast!" screen appeared - as the game began switching resolution, it crashed out to the Desktop with the Vista message "Monkey101.exe has caused a problem and was closed."

I tried relaunching the game several times, and got the same result each time.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, to no apparent effect.

Finally, the game did launch succesfully - once - there appeared to be a slight graphical glitch with the voodoo effect on Guybrushes' hand. This led me to believe that this may be an issue with Directx, but I wasn't sure.

I closed the game, and tried to launch it again, and ended up with the program terminating when the display settings were resetting again.

Another possibility that ocurred to me is that I know that Telltales software does have some DRM built in, and this morning Telltales site appears to be down again.

I thought the software only phoned home once, though? The Sam and Max games ran fine when I tried to run them.

Has anybody else run into this issue, and if so has anybody found a fix, or have a theory about what's causing it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • edited July 2009
    Are the people having the blurred menu issue using XP or Vista?
  • edited July 2009
    Jessica wrote: »
    Can this be the issue?

Looks like most if not all of the Intel 9xx chipset family exhibits issue (e.g. most laptops). I have 945GM and downloaded latest driver for windows 7 RC at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2301&OSFullName=Windows+7+RC1%2C+32-bit*&lang=eng&strOSs=202&submit=Go%21 however, there are like 15 different win7 download drivers... :eek:

I to do not understand why TOMI is so intensive than other games like CSI, COD, WOW, etc...

My related thread http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9666&highlight=jakefreemon
  • edited July 2009
    I'm getting the same problem as the OP; everything works up until the end of the opening credits where Ron Gilberts name fades away - then it crashes and I can get no further.
    Lowering graphics was recommended but hasn't helped.
  • edited July 2009
    I went to the Intel site but none of their drivers worked. I have a Dell laptop so went to the Dell website and downloaded the latest video driver for my system. This resolved the problem with the blurry menu options and things are working great now. I hope this works for others
  • edited July 2009

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer."

:( Do I need to contact my manufacturer for a new driver? Would that actually fix the problem of the blurred text and no cursor?

My specs are:

Manufacturer: Sony Electronics, Inc.
    Model: VAIO Computer
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz 1.80 HGz
    Memory(RAM): 2038 MB
    System type: 32-bit Operating System
  • edited July 2009
    HouseFantastic

Since you have a Sony

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&PRODTYPE=1,24,26,66,9,70,5,72&template_id=1&region_id=1

Go there and find the latest video drivers for you model
  • edited July 2009
    "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer."

:( Do I need to contact my manufacturer for a new driver? Would that actually fix the problem of the blurred text and no cursor?

My specs are:

Manufacturer: Sony Electronics, Inc.
    Model: VAIO Computer
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz 1.80 HGz
    Memory(RAM): 2038 MB
    System type: 32-bit Operating System

You should be downloading drivers from here: http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp
  • edited July 2009
    Lead Eater wrote: »
    After I clicked the install file, it took about 3 minutes before I got any windows... Install went relatively smooth. When I clicked icon to play, I got a bunch of errorundefined pop-ups, a black screen. Waited 5 minutes (I tried starting it 3 times now, all led to computer crashes) ... saw Lucas Arts and Telltale Games logos once, and got to the following menu:

tomi13425.jpg

I'm guessing there's supposed to be some text to the left there.. and a cursor. If not a cursor, I couldn't use the up and down keys either.

I'm pretty much raging my butt off right now, but I guess there's nothing I can do.

XuGator resolved this issue for me. Try this.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=152920#post152920
  • edited July 2009

I did so, and it seems to work!!!:) All text appears and it goes faster than before!:D
  • edited July 2009
    Nacholabs wrote: »
    I was going to create a new topic but I'll just post it here:

The main menu is shown like this:
    mainmenur.jpg

Plus, ingame is REALLY slow.

My specs:
    Windows XP Professional
    CPU: AMD Sempron, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2600+
    RAM: 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)

I tried everything: reinstalling the game, installing the latest video drivers, using older ones.

DirectX was already updated to the latest version. Color depth is set to 32 bit.

I'm gonna rollback directx to an earlier version whenever I can but I doubt that would make a difference.

Any ideas?
    Answer is very simple. If you look at the game's minimum requirements you'll see:
    Graphics: 64MB DirectX 8.1 compliant video card (128MB rec.)

Your video card isn't DirectX 8.1 compliant but only DirectX 7.0 compliant as you can see from here.

Though as it seems even DirectX 8.1 compliant cards like GeForce4 Ti 4200/4400/4600 have this issue...
  • edited July 2009
    Looks like most if not all of the Intel 9xx chipset family exhibits issue (e.g. most laptops).

I to do not understand why TOMI is so intensive than other games like CSI, COD, WOW, etc...

All these games you listed have had the same problems and complaints. Try playing COD World at War on a laptop and see what happens. I'm sure all the game developers out there don't have every single type of computer setup to test the game on. There are going to be bugs. They set a standard specification for their game and if you don't meet it it's hit or miss...

It sounds like most of the problems are because people don't have a DirectX 8.1-compliant video card

If you want to play newer games you need to get better equipment. Sorry It's just a fact.

I had problems too but they cleared up after a restart of the game.

ahab
  • edited July 2009
    XuGator wrote: »
    HouseFantastic

Since you have a Sony

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&PRODTYPE=1,24,26,66,9,70,5,72&template_id=1&region_id=1

Go there and find the latest video drivers for you model

Thise site has drivers for my model: VGN-FZ140E at least, but none of them are allowing the game to run properly, so no luck there.
    Estel wrote: »
    You should be downloading drivers from here: http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp

This site doesn't even have my model. :\
  • edited July 2009
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10031

Can anyone help please? :confused:

I'm dying here!!!
  • edited July 2009
    ahab wrote: »
    All these games you listed have had the same problems and complaints. Try playing COD World at War on a laptop and see what happens. I'm sure all the game developers out there don't have every single type of computer setup to test the game on. There are going to be bugs. They set a standard specification for their game and if you don't meet it it's hit or miss...

It sounds like most of the problems are because people don't have a DirectX 8.1-compliant video card

If you want to play newer games you need to get better equipment. Sorry It's just a fact.

I had problems too but they cleared up after a restart of the game.

ahab

I have a laptop fairly new that has a GMA (Graphics Media Accel) in it and I can run those games on this laptop just fine. Granted I'm not running the latest COD, however, I was able to run the first version. :p I'm just curiois why this game, which does not seem so graphic intense, can't run on systems with Intel's GMA 95x and 96x chipsets. Not sure about later versions.

I had to move the game to a 64bit system with a much better graphics card (7600) and 4GB of onboard memory... Why?

NOTES: I was able to move the game intensity setting down to 2 and noticed a much better mouse performace on the laptop, however, as soon I I started the first chapter it exited. Also, on the better system, the performace lagged in the begging also (very bad) and I had to lower the intensity to a 3. That system has run games like BF2, so I'm really :confused:
  • edited July 2009
    Thise site has drivers for my model: VGN-FZ140E at least, but none of them are allowing the game to run properly, so no luck there.

This site doesn't even have my model. :\

SAME HERE!

I'm using a Toshiba with Vista - I've downloaded all the drivers I can find on the Toshiba and the Intel download isn't working :confused:

SO CROSS! Any other ideas anyone???
  • edited July 2009
    So, I reformatted my entire C drive to play this game. I updated drivers once more and... lo and behold! It works! Totally worth the hassle. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Gee, i played Sam&Max Season 1 partly on a GeForce3 and it was working perfectly.

Do you know how outdated a GeForce4 MX is? That's a DirectX7 card.

Here are the sytem requirements for Tales of Monkey Island:

*snip*
    System Requirements:

Operating system: Windows XP / Vista
    Processor: 2.0 GHz + (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB rec.) Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better
    *snap*

AGP system are still fine for running games like TOMI. Maybe you could upgrade you gfx card? There exist quite some options. The best you can get is a ATI 3850 which still can handle a lot more than such games, sells for something about $100 but you can get also a decent card for half of the price.
This discussion has been closed.