Tales of Monkey Island - Characters just messy polygons.

edited October 2010 in Game Support
System specs: P4 2.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, all drivers updated, including directx.

Everything starts up fine, but I cannot set the graphics quality higher than 3, and all the characters (LeChuck, Elaine, etc...) look like masses of jumbled polygons. Everything else looks fine, and all the Strong Bad games work fine on my machine, as well.

I've tried just about all the in-game settings, various resolutions, graphics settings 3, 2, and 1. No luck. The background objects look great, the characters look like crud.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Just to clarify, the characters are screwed up at 3 and below? and if you go above 3 it crashes?
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the help! :-)

The game will not allow me to go above 3, I only get 1, 2 or 3 as options.

The game crashed in the following two scenarios:

Graphics set to 1, resolution 640x480, 32-bit color depth.
    Graphics set to 3, resolution 1024x768, 16-bit color depth.

I know 16-bit isn't supposed to work, but thought I'd try it for thoroughness.
    edited July 2009
    I'm afraid your video card just may not be up to challenge. Normally in this situation I would suggest updating drivers and directX, but since they have both been covered already, you may just need a refund. One other thing you can try is the Omega Drivers. They sometimes work better with ATIs of that generation.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    I'm afraid your video card just may not be up to challenge. Normally in this situation I would suggest updating drivers and directX, but since they have both been covered already, you may just need a refund. One other thing you can try is the Omega Drivers. They sometimes work better with ATIs of that generation.

Again, surely this still exceeds your minimum specifications?
  • edited July 2009
    Will,

I'll give the Omega drivers a shot and let you know what happens.

Estel,

Yeah, my system plays Half-Life 2 - at a pretty high quality - as smooth as glass, but isn't up to handling Monkey Island? This is a bit difficult to believe.

Thanks, both.

-D.
  • edited July 2009
    With the Omega drivers, I get, "Could not initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running."

I will send an email to tech support in the morning. I don't want a refund, I want to play this game.

I'll also continue tweaking settings on the video card and see if I run across anything.

Thanks.
  • edited July 2009
    dmmaxwell, please keep us updated as to your progress. I have the exact same problem, and the same resolve to play this game!
  • edited July 2009
    It seems to have issues running on old ATI cards. My computer has the same specs as yours (P4 2.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM), although I am using an older ATI 8500DV graphic card. I am unfortunately experiencing the exact same problems. The polygons are a mess, I can't set the quality higher than 3 in the game, and no amount of tweaking seems to have any effect. I have also tried the Omega drivers, and while 3.8.252 worked for me it didn't change anything. If a solution is found I would be interested. I have another computer with higher specs, but I prefer to play games on this one.
  • edited July 2009
    I have to say i have the exact same problem, and the Omega drivers didn't help. Would run perfectly if it weren't for the character models being such a mess. I may eventually refund it and just get it on the wii, but it will be a shame not to get that dvd at the end of the season. Any solutions yet?
    edited July 2009
    Ok guys, this issue might be a bit harder to track down. Gonna send this over to our head graphics guy to see if he has any suggestions.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi maxwell,
    I don't want to advertise my own thread, but just ask you whether your problem is the same as mine, so would you mind looking at these screenies:
    http://g.imagehost.org/0885/grafikfehler.jpg
    http://h.imagehost.org/0881/grafikfehler_even_more_impressing.jpg
    Are these the same?
    Would be "good" to know someone else having the problem!
    Sorry for not being able to help you, though :(
  • edited July 2009
    @ark4869 I can't speak for Maxwell, but that isn't what my problem looks like. With my problem only about half of the polygons display making the characters look almost like rotting zombies.

Strange thing, I found the original cd that came with my graphics card and installed the original drivers from that disk. This time the characters (and anything the characters interact with) looked great, but there was no background, floor, walls, etc. The characters looked like they were floating in an empty void. I then downloaded the driver from the website and I got the messed up characters again.
  • edited July 2009
    @akajackfrost - You describe the problem I'm having very well. Not the same as ark4869, I'm afraid.

I will revert back to the ATI drivers and post a screen shot, if I can. Thanks.

-D.
  • edited July 2009
    Just found evilmangopie's thread here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9913 That is the issue I am seeing.
  • edited July 2009
    bump same problem, I appreciate the offer of the refund but I would much rather be able to play ToMI. I've waited what seems like a million years, if it turns out I need to buy a new graphics card I would but Sam and Max worked fine for me so i don't know if its my graphics card.
  • edited July 2009
    2.70GHz Celeron, 768MB memory, Raedon 9250 PCI
    Same issue, half the poly's are showing, backgrounds show up fine, just character sprites ain't showing up properly.
    Most likely guess as to why its broken, probably because ATI dropped all support and new drivers for older cards below like the 9800's a year or so back, and somewhere in dev of ToMI they used something that the older card drivers don't support.
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, here's a comparison between the TTG gameplay video and how it looks on my machine. Hoping this will aid some troubleshooting efforts. Seems like wherever there is a glowing effect, that's where the texture is lost.

Continuing to experiment with this. I'll let you know if I come up with anything that works.

Hope this posts correctly. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Does everyone with this same issue have the same card? (the Radeon 9250?)

Anyone running that card with Vista should be aware that ATi didn't/doesn't support it with Vista and that it's somewhat buggy with Vista (from experience).
  • edited July 2009
    @Turophile - I'm running XP Pro, myself, but that's a good point.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm running XP Pro too. That screenshot you posted earlier is exactly what I see as well.

Edit: I might just install this on my other computer. I have to reinstall the OS on that one first, but the graphic card is only a year old and still supported. The setup just isn't as ideal for gaming as the one with the ATI 8500DV graphic card.
  • edited July 2009
    Interesting. I've seen the glitch with Vista on the 9250 in various 3D applications, so I was assuming it was a lack of proper Catalyst support.

If you're on Windows XP I would suggest removing your drivers completely (just a normal uninstall, then a reboot), then installing either the latest, or those directly before, and trying again. Though I'm guessing you've probably tried that, I personally ran screaming from the ATi ship some time ago (9800 Pro was the last card for me), due to similar polygon issues in other games some time ago.

Most interestingly Catalyst 6.11 make no mention of the 9250 in the release notes, at all. ( See: 6.11's Release Notes.) Not as a display of bias against ATi, but simply to make the point, that is worrying.

Might be worth finding the CD that came with the drive (if applicable) and finding out which version was on that. Granted, there may be bugs on it too, but it'd still be interesting to know if the new code is killing TMI.
  • edited July 2009
    Turophile wrote: »
    Does everyone with this same issue have the same card? (the Radeon 9250?)

Anyone running that card with Vista should be aware that ATi didn't/doesn't support it with Vista and that it's somewhat buggy with Vista (from experience).

Well, I have the same problem too. But I have the 9200 and XP Home...
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for answering. You are lucky, yoU CAN play the game at least, altho with weird sprites. For me, it's unplayable :( But okay, honestly your problem makes it unplayable and unfun too ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Hi,

I'm running this game on an ATI 9600 with the latest drivers and all the graphics are fine.

The 9600 should be pretty cheap nowadays, especially since ATI have just discontinued support. It might be an idea if you see if you can get your hands on one of these if you don't want to spend out for a more up-to-date card.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Guys I thought i would chime in..well actually I started a post previously, but Dmmaxwell described the problem perfectly.

I have the same specs as him but a radeon 9200. Characters are a mess. Backgrounds are perfect and game runs smoothly. Also only have detail level to 3.

I hope someone gets an answer... i too am not interested in a refund and just want to play the game!
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Guys I thought i would chime in..well actually I started a post previously, but Dmmaxwell described the problem perfectly.

I have the same specs as him but a radeon 9200. Characters are a mess. Backgrounds are perfect and game runs smoothly. Also only have detail level to 3.

I hope someone gets an answer... i too am not interested in a refund and just want to play the game!

9250 is a branch off series from the 9200 if memory serves. Neither are well supported these days, and they don't even appear in releases for some time.

Just to try to narrow it down again, 9200/9250s are having issues? The 9600 still has support from the latest Catalyst drivers (6.11), if anyone has something between the 9250 and the 9500 (but not the 9500 because it's supported too ;)) that they could test on it might eliminate thoughts that ATi has just removed the older card support from the latest drivers.

---

Just found this, trawling through some notes here. 6.11 doesn't mention the support, but the release notes here do. I would recommend trying this driver as it states it supports the FireStream products (9250 is a FireStream -- 9200 isn't! so it again seems to lack support, but it may be worth a shot, notably 9.6 is higher than 6.11, so there is probably some support in the middle for the 9200s).

So much for using the tool that they presented on the main page ;)
  • edited July 2009
    To recap, are you suggesting i should try that driver using my 9200? Is that even possible?

It's annoying that the latest driver for my video card is from 2006 :p
    Also annoying as sam n max worked fine, so i hoped tomi would too.

Perhaps i should just biy a new card :P Any suggestions?
  • edited July 2009
    Well, that really depends on how much you have to spend and whether you're interested in "heavy" games, which ToMI isn't.
    For one, I have Radeon HD 2600 XT, and it runs ToMI perfectly on a Graphics Quality 9 in 1280x1024. Actually, it still plays pretty much everything I throw at it, some graphic-intense games are only playable in 1024x768 though (Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, for example). It's also not discontinued yet, meaning new drivers are still officially supporting this card.
    It should also be cheap as dirt these days. :)
    Someone here will hint you on what to buy if you're going for quality rather than cost, I'm sure. :D
    edited July 2009
    We are looking to get a 9200 in the office so we can hammer on it a bit. If nothing else it will be cathartic. As for graphics cards, I've found that nvidia cards generally have fewer problems. But that may just be me.
  • edited July 2009
    To recap, are you suggesting i should try that driver using my 9200? Is that even possible?

It's annoying that the latest driver for my video card is from 2006 :p
    Also annoying as sam n max worked fine, so i hoped tomi would too.

Perhaps i should just biy a new card :P Any suggestions?

That's the latest driver for the 9250, I'll have a poke around through their archives (if they still exist) to see if one exists for the 9250. I just found out I don't have a 9250 here anymore, and nobody nearby does, and if they do they're using it for basic 2D workstations things, rather than any form of gaming -- they're stated they were running "9.4 or something around that".

I would upgrade from the 9200 if you can/want.

-- You're right, I did forget to ask if people were using the 9250 Firestorm or the AGP 9250. If you are using the old card (we're talking 3+ years ago I believe, the big hint is it's AGP and not PCI) then you may not get it to even install, but I did have a 9000 Pro running Catalyst 8.somethings before, but I recall having to extract the drivers and mess with files to get that up and running.

In all seriousness I would look at a 7xxx or cheap 8xxx NVidia card. It seems to be largely driver related, but they seem to have less issues with the games I play over the Radeon (admittedly, again, this falls back to the 9800 Pro some time ago, but there is a more recent Radeon in the house -- in a Mac).

I'll put it out there for Will to consider: could the polygons be caused by the lack of throughput by the older Radeons? I remember the 9000 Pro would suffer considerably in FPS games because from the 8xxx -> 9xxx (below, say, 9700); the card would lag badly due to limited pipelines.

---

ATi's archive seems to be too difficult to navigate without resorting to changing numbers in the URL by hand, so that idea's pretty much out :|
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't want to begin to speculate on why these particular cards are doing this whereas most either work or crash. Our games have reached a point where I just leave it strictly to Carlo, our graphics and rendering guy.
  • edited July 2009
    @Will, I'm willing to help test, if need be... :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Will, if you somehow manage to test the game on a 9200 and get it to work, a patch or info would be greatly appreciated :D

If i have to upgrade so be it. As for the card, something under $200 would be good. I'm not really into my hardcore pc 3D gaming - so as long as it plays TOMI and I could get one for under $100 that would be even better.

Lets face it, i had to upgrade back in 1997 to play CMI, and then again for escape.

My only fear is I get a new cheaper card, and my problem then escalates to some of the problems other people in this forum are facing where they get nothing! I think i should be okay though...
  • edited July 2009
    Provided you mean $100 USD, the Radeon 4850 is $120USD afaik (it's a lot more in Australia!), and the 4870 is just under $200USD (both on newegg), so even if you were into hardcore gaming that would fit the budget. I'm not sure how low end the card you run could be, but it might be best to find out what they're using for tests and see if that card is in budget and/or suitable. It's what I'd do if I were in need of an upgrade :)
  • edited July 2009
    Hooray! I tried the Omega drivers on my Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 as a last resort, and it worked! I honestly didn't expect anything to change, as my "messy polygons" were far more horrific-looking than what you guys posted.

Quicktime is a little fussy since I made the switch, but I'm willing to put up with it in order to play Monkey Island!
  • edited July 2009
    MikeHarvat wrote: »
    Hooray! I tried the Omega drivers on my Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 as a last resort, and it worked! I honestly didn't expect anything to change, as my "messy polygons" were far more horrific-looking than what you guys posted.

Quicktime is a little fussy since I made the switch, but I'm willing to put up with it in order to play Monkey Island!

Which version of the Omega drivers? I have this problem too (radeon 9200), but when i tried the omega drivers the game didn't start at all :(
  • edited July 2009
    MikeHarvat wrote: »

Any chance you could tell is which drivers/ anything else you did. A lot of us really would love to be able to play without this problem asap.
  • edited July 2009
    After hearing this i went to omega and downloaded the file they suggested for the 9200 (in the archive section) 3.8.252.

It didn't make a difference for me. :P

New video card it is. If anyone has the 9200 and they can get something to work, please post it here with detail. :)
  • edited July 2009
    My Radeon 9200 wont work properly with any drivers mentioned here.

I bought Ati HD3650 now and everything works good. It 'll be interesting to know if anyone got it work with 9200 tho. Im sure that there is many frustrated people here who wants to play the game with current setup.
    edited July 2009
    We just got a 9200 in office, so our graphics guy is going to spend some time looking at it.
This discussion has been closed.