Minecraft: Story Mode [Minecon 2015 Trailer] discussion thread.

Comments

• Is it just me, or does the lighting/engine in this game look better than it does in current titles? I know since it's Minecraft, the low end pixely graphics and artstyle can be improved with just about any amount of polishing and all that, but even so, it looks like the engine has been upgraded a little for Minecraft. Am I the only one who thought so?

• *zombie

Somebody asked about that during the panel. Job said it was the Creeper being selected in game during the fight cutscene.

• Yeah I was definitely getting the lego movie vibe watching that.

Like I expected, this looks like the Lego movie, you have the main character thas kinda clueless and then there is the confident redhead gir

• Ah, whoops! I'm used to creepers being the status-quo of Minecraft enemies.

*zombie

• Probably because they're the most annoying haha

Ah, whoops! I'm used to creepers being the status-quo of Minecraft enemies.

• What Megami said, we click it to attack

dojo32161 posted: »

So what do you think the weird glowing around this is? I'm certain it's not plot related and has something to do with combat.

• Looks good

• edited July 2015

Actually if I have to be dead honest, I didn't get a Lego Movie vibe from the trailer. In fact, it felt overtly serious, which is 100% the exact opposite of what a Minecraft story mode should be. That was the only way I could see this working, it could work if it was very sarcastic and broke the forth wall often, even more so then TFTBL. Instead, it seems serious in tone and nowhere near as sarcastic and witty as it needs to be. Also those graphics are a bit, how do I say it? Uncanny valleyesk. I don't have anything against the way GOT or any other TTG game looks, but this just, its hard to describe, but it feels off. Like they went half way with a TTG/Minecraft look, it reminds me of the backgrounds of Minecraft Youtube channels, and I don't know if that's good or bad. I know the game isn't out yet, but I just can't see this being any good, in fact now I just feel sorry for the actors involved, especially Patton Oswald, he played the best French cooking rat and most badass Kentucky constable ever, and he deserves better damn it! I keep saying this every time somebody says this will be fantastic no question. I always tell them, we could have gotten Breaking Bad, True Detectives, Mad Men, Star Wars, TWAU season 2, Bioshock, and plenty of other IPs. Instead, we got Minecraft, somebody tell me what aspect of the game could only be done with Minecraft? And how said aspect improves the game? I can't think of it, maybe you can, but far as I can tell and or care, there isn't. Now, I will completely eat my hat if this turns out to be great, I have been wrong in the past, I was probably too harsh to TFTBL when it was announced, but it turned out great, but if I was a betting man, I would say this is likely a critical flop. Not financially though, its pretty much a licence to print money. I know its been six months since the announcement, but god, it still feels surreal, Minecraft by Telltale, by god.

Like I expected, this looks like the Lego movie, you have the main character thas kinda clueless and then there is the confident redhead gir

• Lehfeels posted: »

Well im gonna play 100 times a day so all day every day ALL DAY EVERYDAY

• Pretty much, its Lego Movie minus the humor and sarcasm, which was a major reason it was so fantastic, kinda kills the point. Of course, the trailer could have been just shit at conveying the overall tone of the game, if so then whoever marketed this did one hell of a fantastically terrible job.

Well all the trailers for TFTB indicated that it will be a funny game with comedy at the core of it. For this its not clear, if its funny th

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I thought the trailer looked really good, it was really cool to be in the room when it was announced (special thanks to Laura and Job for getting me a front row seat :D) and from talking to them about the game i think it sounds really interesting and i am looking forward to it.

• I like to play basketball with them, hitting their fireballs is fun. :D

Kateis posted: »

Yeah, Ghasts are my best friends... They follow me around and play catch with me... And kill me... So many fun times. :P

• By, "Really like me", I mean there were about 5 of them on my ass the second I stepped outside the Nether portal.

Kateis posted: »

Yeah, Ghasts are my best friends... They follow me around and play catch with me... And kill me... So many fun times. :P

• Honestly I went into this with little to no opinion on this game, but after the trailer I might consider buying. The voice actors are great and I have faith that telltale will pull it off with the right amount of humor too.

• Wait... Did they destroy your portal? Because I hate when that happens, once I got stuck in the Nether because I respawned there and couldn't get back, although that was on a modded game.

By, "Really like me", I mean there were about 5 of them on my ass the second I stepped outside the Nether portal.

• edited July 2015

The only bit I enjoyed was hearing Lee's voice.

Wigams posted: »

Yeah just what I thought. In my opinion it looks stupid. Such a dumb idea. On youtube the video has 2000 likes and 1000 DISLIKES.

• The dislikes are one thing, but some of the comments on the YouTube video are really disturbing. It's seems to have descended into people calling each other "autistic".

• edited July 2015

Looks terrible. I dont care about the animation, but this is very not exciting. It didnt make me want to buy it at all. While all the previous ttg franchises accomplished to do so. Sad.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited July 2015

Alt text

OMG . It looks just as bad as I thought it would .

People are going to pay 5.00 for that?
    I'll just wait for the walking dead add on and fallout 4.

• Also Ashley Johnnson voices this girl 00:08.

Crips posted: »

The trailer's pretty good in my opinion. Also the character Dave Fennoy voices is dark-skinned and has a black beard around his mouth? A reference, anyone? Also, wow, it's being hated on REEEEEEEAL hard o.O

• You mean Ashley Johnnson (Ellie) and Scott Porter (Luke)

Lehfeels posted: »

We also got alot of other known faces the girl who plays ellie is voicing in this & billy west & the guy who voiced luke in twd s2

• Well now it can make up... whatever years you are now.

Minecraft did make up of my early teen years.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

It would have been better if it had the graphics like those of fan-made animations.

I was talking to Job and Laura yesterday and they told me that the graphics, body movments and the way characters mouths move when they talk are all designed that way because Mojang want the game to ramain as "minecrafty" as possible, i have read some comments about mouth movements but they look the way they do because Mojang don't want any round mouths when they talk as minecraft is made from blocks.

It would have been better if it had the graphics like those of fan-made animations. But the trailer convinced me to buy the game.

• Oh, either way, it's still nice.

OzzyUK posted: »

It would have been better if it had the graphics like those of fan-made animations. I was talking to Job and Laura yesterday and the

• I personally think the lighting and shadows are no where as good as TWAU, but I think the engine may have been because of the amount of stuff shown on screen.

Is it just me, or does the lighting/engine in this game look better than it does in current titles? I know since it's Minecraft, the low end

• yeah sorry i forgot they're names thx for telling me bud

AronDracula posted: »

You mean Ashley Johnnson (Ellie) and Scott Porter (Luke)

• The 1 with red hair and a bandana?

AronDracula posted: »

Also Ashley Johnnson voices this girl 00:08.

• I agree @imddawson i agree im very confused by the negativity i think we should wait for the 1st episode before we go saying its gonna be bad

ill admit minecraft has not much story but this is telltale we're talking they have made good games in the past

with positivity in my heart im hoping this is good

lmddawson posted: »

I'm confused by the negativity, I think this has the potential to be great! And I've never played Minecraft.

• Yes

The 1 with red hair and a bandana?

• ;)

yeah sorry i forgot they're names thx for telling me bud

• Minecraft has always creeped me out, a world made ONLY of square blocks? I couldn't stand looking at screenshots, but that's my silly mental anxieties acting up for whatever reason. :v But this trailer...I must say I am convinced. I may just buy this game when it comes out. TTG hasn't let me down yet with any game released so far.

• I'm actually pretty excited for this. I honestly hate vanilla Minecraft, but now that Telltale has created a story, I'm willing to try it out. I'm not really surprised by all the negative feedback, because to be honest nearly every single first trailer has always gotten some form of negativity. I'll be the one laughing when the game turns out to be really good. Also, Ashley Johnson seems to voice one of the characters, which is awesome.

• So ellie voices the girl?

• The red head? Yeah. Ashley Johnson.

So ellie voices the girl?

• edited July 2015

Well they got a lot of acting talent for this thing I guess.

Do admit it looks kind of daft though, I'm hoping that this trailer is misleading a bit and they are not actually trying to make the game a serious drama

The red head? Yeah. Ashley Johnson.

• Ya im fine with that price.

• Yes, I never understood why people use it as an insult. It's nothing to laugh at, it's a disease and the people that have it didn't ask for it. They are human beings just like anyone else. Actually I think they're even more human than the people that make these stupid jokes.

ClemRanger posted: »

The dislikes are one thing, but some of the comments on the YouTube video are really disturbing. It's seems to have descended into people calling each other "autistic".

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

I'm sure those people can cope with that cost.

Oh ..ha ha....ha.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited July 2015

Oh ..

You are heartless ...guess we'll both find out when GOT season 6 airs.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.