Will S&M Season 3 use the ToMI Engine?

DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
edited September 2009 in Sam & Max
I was just wondering if Sam&Max will get the new cinematic ToMI look and controls, or if it will stay the same as previous seasons?

I would be fine with either of them, because i found the ToMI mouse controls absolutely usable.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I was just wondering if Sam&Max will get the new cinematic ToMI look and controls, or if it will stay the same as previous seasons?

I would be fine with either of them, because i found the ToMI mouse controls absolutely usable.

i would love to see them do this. Season 1 and 2 are pretty much identical and telltale has evolved since then so it would be nice to see them start from scratch and give sam and max a makeover.
  • edited July 2009
    I would imagine so because it's just the one engine they use (the Telltale Tool) for all their games, just with improvements & modifications with each passing series.
  • edited July 2009
    I think S&M Season Three is going to be much better engine-wise since Season Two. There have been not one, not two, but three changes to the engine in the time to make season three. Not to mention the upgrade from TOMI to S&M! The game will probably be the best looking telltale game yet.
  • edited July 2009
    ToMI is uses an updated version of the same engine as Sam & Max. S&M season 3 will surely incorporate all of those improvements and a few new ones. This has nothing to do with the controls though as engine and controls are unrelated.
  • edited July 2009
    I'll be okay as long as the ToMI mouse controls -aren't- ported over. I'd much rather click on the ground to tell Sam where to walk.
  • edited July 2009
    xbskid wrote: »
    I'll be okay as long as the ToMI mouse controls -aren't- ported over. I'd much rather click on the ground to tell Sam where to walk.

That, and I like the inventory to pop up by bumping the edge of the screen. If this irks some people, it could be a player preference. I also like how the inventory goes away as oppose to clutter half the screen, possibly while you're interacting with the environment.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd like to see the same controls as Seasons 1 & 2, and the inventory box on the bottom. (Though, I would like to be able to click E to open the inventory. (I kept trying to do it in ToMI.))
  • edited July 2009
    It won't be using point and click. I read it somewhere. There's a topic about it, I think.
  • edited July 2009
    NickClick2 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the same controls as Seasons 1 & 2, and the inventory box on the bottom. (Though, I would like to be able to click E to open the inventory. (I kept trying to do it in ToMI.))

'I' opens inventory in ToMI. Would love to see the Tales controls in season3, thought they worked really well way beyond expectations. Been replaying S&M and keep wanting to use keyboard for some reason =p after all these years as a die hard point+click fan im converted! Would like to see and updated inventory as I found i kept on accidentally clicking the brown box walking about (not that this will be a problem with Tomi controls). Cant wait for season 3, and looking forward to some lush, tomi style camera angles :)
  • edited July 2009
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    Been replaying S&M and keep wanting to use keyboard for some reason =p after all these years as a die hard point+click fan im converted!

Exactly this.
  • edited July 2009
    Will S&M3 use the same click to walk interface as the previos seasons, or will there be (on XBLA) the ability to move the characters around with the thumbsticks?
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    I love how they've basically called anyone who wants to play on PC "Adventure game purists" or "Mouse fetishists".

Well, I hope there will still be mouse controls on PC. Otherwise... I guess the dream was nice while it lasted.
  • edited July 2009
    Aww, I was hoping they'd go back to the point and click for season 3. :(
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, I wasn't even aware they're working on S&M Season 3! That's great!

But I agree, please bring back the control scheme from Seasons 1+2. It's way better than the Monkey Island scheme (which isn't terrible, but not very pleasant either).
  • edited July 2009
    I'm happy with ToMI/W&G controls - WASD move and click to interact. Though the combine option in ToMI is a bit painful to use.
  • edited July 2009
    Why not just use a pop-up interface like in Full Throttle or CMI?
    That even works well in a 2.5d ego perspective, as you can see in Normality Inc..
    So it sure would also work in a third person 3d environment.
  • edited July 2009
    The coin/skull interface was for the multiple verbs, dont need that in TTG games
  • edited July 2009
    i will miss the point-and-click controls..if they sacrifice it for awesome choreography and complex scenery, then i can live with it though. if it's just to make the game more console friendly then my "mouse fetishist"-heart will probably bleed....buuut i will still buy it, since it will still be good.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    Been replaying S&M and keep wanting to use keyboard for some reason =p after all these years as a die hard point+click fan im converted!

That's funny. A few days ago i started up a S&M episode and had the same, but with missing the mouse drag+move controls.

As long as they are gonna be there i'll be happy. I wouldn't mind adapting to P&C again but it would be strange to change from ToMI to S&M and back all the time, always wanting to use the wrong controls.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2009
    I'm happy with the new controls. I play the PC versions but I like playing with my gamepad.
  • edited July 2009
    I like how you can use the arrow keys with ToMI. I don't really like the click-and-drag scheme. If they made Sam & Max WASDable, I'd be okay with it. Hehe, think I just made up a new word.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    think I just made up a new word.

Look at the Spellborn result. :(
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Look at the Spellborn result. :(

I lol'd.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    I lol'd.
    Yeah, it's like a few days ago when i thought i invented dramedy. :o Maybe that one was too obvious to be unique.
  • edited August 2009
    Hmm well hope the controls are improved over MI's because they're kinda akward
  • edited August 2009
    WASD + Mouse is the best control scheme I've ever used and going back to just straight point and click feels awkward, and my left hand feels left out and sad.
  • edited August 2009
    Is anyone actually using the drag-feature instead of walking with the keyboard in ToMI? That feels strange indeed.
    So I would say, WASD walking can stay for anyone who likes it. There's nothing to loose since Sam & Max didn't use the keyboard anyways. But the game should be full point & click playable at the same time instead of drag-walking.
  • edited August 2009
    Is anyone actually using the drag-feature instead of walking with the keyboard in ToMI? That feels strange indeed.

I do. Indeed I kept trying to drag Wallace and Gromit around. I agree that point and click is the best, but I'm comfortable with drags (*)

* especially if it involves Max dressing in doll cloths
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, I haven't quite got my head around the whole Arrows + Mouse thing yet (although I bet it's divine with the Wii Remote + Nunchuck), so I'm hoping Telltale includes the traditional "point & click to move" in addition to the Arrows + Mouse and the dragging mouse.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Randulf wrote: »
    I do. Indeed I kept trying to drag Wallace and Gromit around.

Me too, but i was able to adapt to WASD. I found it less convenient though to have to balance the keyboard on my lap while trying to sit relaxed.
    I even tried to drag in Sam & Max when i recently ran it.
  • edited August 2009
    As I see it, point & click, drag-move and WASD-move don't exclude each other and thus could coexist with ease. Would it be very hard to upgrade all games to have all of them available? I'm sure, that would make many people really happy.
  • edited August 2009
    that is true...it would be possible to have all three control methods in one game. there are reasons however, why point-and-click is no longer used. so. i assume, that season 3 will be much like tomi..
  • edited August 2009
    I hope it stays the same, while I enjoyed TOMI its control scheme frankly sucks big time.
  • edited August 2009
    manicm wrote: »
    I hope it stays the same, while I enjoyed TOMI its control scheme frankly sucks big time.

Then you could never play an rpg, an fps, or a platformer if you think these controls suck.
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Then you could never play an rpg, an fps, or a platformer if you think these controls suck.

That's condascension with a C Pale Man - thing is I do play RPGs and FPSs, and other thing is TOMI ain't those - it's an adventure game - and I want controls here to be as simple as possible.

I maintain - TOMI's scheme is archaic and plain sucks, esp. compared to S&M.
  • edited August 2009
    I hope they keep the same interface for S&M Season 3 that they had in the first two seasons; though I'm sure they'll update the graphics a bit, like they did from Season 1 to Season 2. I also hope they keep the point and click. You can drag Sam to where the mouse is by holding down the left mouse key anyway. (Or at least you could in Season 2, it's been so long since I played Season 1 I don't remember if you could do it then or not.)
  • edited August 2009
    Control issues aside, I hope they reboot a bit and redo a lot of the assets and get things looking as nice as ToMI. Season 2 felt too much like an extension of Season One and I hope they rebuild a bit for Season 3.
  • edited August 2009
    manicm wrote: »
    That's condascension with a C Pale Man - thing is I do play RPGs and FPSs, and other thing is TOMI ain't those - it's an adventure game - and I want controls here to be as simple as possible.

I maintain - TOMI's scheme is archaic and plain sucks, esp. compared to S&M.

So you find the controls smooth, fluid, and excellent when playing an RPG or FPS, but completely unusable if it's an adventure game, where your movement barely matters?
  • edited August 2009
    Frogacuda wrote: »
    Control issues aside, I hope they reboot a bit and redo a lot of the assets and get things looking as nice as ToMI. Season 2 felt too much like an extension of Season One and I hope they rebuild a bit for Season 3.

Hopefully the graphics level will be adjustable, with the lowest level on par with Season 2.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.