Will I enjoy this game without any previous Borderlands knowledge?

So, the title pretty much asks my question for me. Will I enjoy this game without any previous Borderlands knowledge? I've been keeping up with Telltale's Game of Thrones because I have always been a die hard fan of the books, and a casual fan of the show, but the game has been a little iffy for me so far, and I know that Telltale is capable of some seriously great things. But at the same time I'm aware that to fully enjoy TT's GOT you need to have either read the books or watched the show. So I was wondering if I could enjoy TftB without ever having played any of the original games of the series, or is it just like Game of Thrones? Would you recommend me doing some research on the world before playing it, or could I enjoy it without understanding any of the world around me? Thanks!

Comments

• Yep, you can. It's very accessible. Knowing the source material only inhances the experience by allowing you to understand cameos better and giving insight to some inside jokes and references.

• But if you really want some of the back story, this video does a good job of covering the first two games:

enter link description here

• I barely know anything about Borderlands and I love this game to pieces.

• Sweet, I liked this. Thanks for the help!

dojo32161 posted: »

But if you really want some of the back story, this video does a good job of covering the first two games: enter link description here

• Didn't see that, my bad. It's 4 pages back and a few days old. I didn't notice it in my brief skim to see if there were any other threads out there like this.

May I introduce you to this thread? https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/99533/do-i-have-to-play-borderlands-in-order-to-understand-what-s-going-on-in-tales-from-borderlands

• its a great game you don't have to play the previous games to understand it but it helps understand some characters like shade for example but you should play the previous ones cause they are great games.

• Not at all. In fact, this game could very well entice you to check out the other Borderlands games and/or its lore. It sure did for me.

• edited September 2015

I'm surprised how many people have picked up TFTBL without any prior knowledge of the series, I guess probably cause they're TTG fans in general. I would say definetly play the first and second Borderlands (order is not entirely necessary since the first game really doesn't have much a story). But I strongly recommend getting TPS after playing both games, if you really loved them, and if its on a sale. There's a reason the first 2 got GOTY and TPS didn't

• Oh god yes! I kept skipping the page for this before it was released as I had no interest whatsoever in it. Nothing about the art on the page, the promo or the synopsis grabbed me. I was more interested about GoT.
    Then at the last minute I found out Troy Baker was in it (my fave va by far :-)) so I had to give it a go.
    About 20 mins into episode 1, I was about to turn off. I didn't like the world, I thought the humour was a little crass for my tastes. The characters bugged me... but I stuck with it. And I can safely say this is one of my favourite games of all time! I love it, I just don't want it to end :-(

• All I can say is yes, because that's just what happened to me. I played episodes one and two, loved them, and soon after got Borderlands 2. I knew nothing of the Borderlands story besides a few main points that everyone knows. I believe that yes every if you don't know the story, you will still enjoy it.

• Yes. It's not like GoT where you can enjoy it more by watching the show or reading the books. You can play Tales without having a lot of knowledge from the previous Borderlands games. You will still enjoy the game :)

• Yeah you can but i think its wise to at least play BL2 and the Pre Sequel, the games are great because of the gamplay and great universe with awesome and wacky characters. Also since TFTBL is canon alot of the events will have major influences in BL3(we all know which one) and its very likely the tfbl cast will make a return in it, perhaps even as playable characters or major NPC.

• I played the first two episodes of tales from the borderlands with absolutely no knowledge of the previous borderlands games and I still had a blast playing it. You don't need to be familiar with the borderlands franchise to understand and enjoy TFTBL but it's always good to know a bit of the series' history to get a deeper understanding. I think telltale is pretty good at making games for people who are either old fans or new fans.

• Don't even think like that, just buy it and enjoy it. You'll be craving more afterwards, trust us. :D

Sign in to comment in this discussion.