Story/choice notifications

I intend on buying both TFTB at release (and GOT after all episodes will come out), but let's set something straight - I'm not getting them if there won't be an option to turn off the choice notifications. I don't care if the majority of players likes them (because that's what TT said before the premiere of TWAU) - I'm in the minority which doesn't like any pop-ups showing up during the game and, to be honest, ruining my experience (it makes other choices unimportant).

I don't buy the talk that it can't be done because that's how these games are designed - TWD1 had an option to turn the notifications off.

So, TT - give us the option or you won't see my money. End of story.

Comments

• You wont buy an awesome TT game because of the notifications?

• Nope. I played TWD only after it received several GOTY awards, TWD2 obviously and TWAU because I'm a fan of the source material. I've never played any of the Borderlands games and I've never read/watched GOT, and even though these games are made by TT and I'm sure they'll be great, I won't shed a tear if I won't play them.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

You wont buy an awesome TT game because of the notifications?

• TellTale wont shed a tear either if you dont play it. A lot of fans who will play it with or without notifications.

AlgieBlack posted: »

Nope. I played TWD only after it received several GOTY awards, TWD2 obviously and TWAU because I'm a fan of the source material. I've never

• Play the game man!

• I'd play it either way. My bet is they will be there. So, I'd save your money if you really hate the notifications.

• I really hate choice notifications, it ruins my immersion.

• So...They don't add a option which isn't that big of deal for a minority...They won't get one person's money...

K.

• I guess they will play it. Their choice. I'm not getting a game which shows in the most obnoxious way which choices matter and which don't. They're shooting their own foot by doing this.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

TellTale wont shed a tear either if you dont play it. A lot of fans who will play it with or without notifications.

• I surely will if the option mentioned above will be available.

Derpington posted: »

Play the game man!

• A small line of text in the upper left hand corner of the screen is that bad?

I guess they will play it. Their choice. I'm not getting a game which shows in the most obnoxious way which choices matter and which don't. They're shooting their own foot by doing this.

• I really want to play these games, but I don't want to be reminded that "X will remember that" every once in a while. It makes other conversations with said X completely unimportant if they do not feature this prompt. Of course, I don't mean that without notifications all choices suddenly matter, but at least the illusion is not broken by a message at the top of the screen, so I can live in denial that the my choices actually impact the story.

dojo32161 posted: »

I'd play it either way. My bet is they will be there. So, I'd save your money if you really hate the notifications.

• That's exactly what I'm saying. Good to see someone who understands the problem :)

I really hate choice notifications, it ruins my immersion.

• So they won't be listening to minority, they will listen to the majority. OK.

Apparently, TT listened to how the majority of the gaming community felt about Sarah in TWD2, so they gave her the worst possible exit from the franchise in EP4 - tearing her to pieces, because, as many gamers (and one reviewer) put it, "Fuck Sarah!". Oh, and "Give us more Kenny!!!oneone"

That indeed turned out well.

The thing is, the majority is always much more vocal the minority. People do not know what they want most of the time. TT supposedly listens to fan feedback, so they force choice notifications upon us and kill off hated character, but they won't fix bugs or glitches (PS4/XO releases of TWAU, for example - ep2, the money in PnP still clings to Bigby's hand; broken animation during confrontation in the alley; misleading preview for Ep2 before it was rewritten). Congratulations, the majority wins.

So...They don't add a option which isn't that big of deal for a minority...They won't get one person's money... K.

• Yes, it is. Especially if you confront two situations:

• Thanks for bailing me out.
    • Certainly.
      [Crane will remember that]
      -- I mean, why on Earth would he do that?

• I want you to be careful! I almost lost you once!

• I'm not yours to lose!
      -- no notification, AN IMPORTANT EXCHANGE is completely forgotten one minute later.

It not only ruins the immersion, but completely fails at telling the player what's important and what's not. I simply don't want to see this.

A small line of text in the upper left hand corner of the screen is that bad?

• You need to calm down.

Why is this such a big thing for you?

So they won't be listening to minority, they will listen to the majority. OK. Apparently, TT listened to how the majority of the gaming c

• Ignore it.

It doesn't matter.

Yes, it is. Especially if you confront two situations: * Thanks for bailing me out. * Certainly. [Crane will remember that] -- I mea

• I'm perfectly calm.

What bothers me is TT saying that there is no option to turn notifications of because "people like it". Well, there are people like me who don't like this because of the reasons stated in several posts above.

They forcefully want to make me happy by disabling the option to turn the notifications off. Giving us that small option shouldn't be a problem, but somehow IT IS.

It makes me think that they're doing this on purpose, because without hard-coded notifications, players wouldn't even know that the choices bear any impact on the game. It was apparent in both TWD2 and (to slightly - but only slightly - lesser extent) in TWAU.

You need to calm down. Why is this such a big thing for you?

• edited November 2014

I honestly don't mind it, but how hard is it to make the option? It's like 2 lines of code.

• What bothers me is TT saying that there is no option to turn notifications of because "people like it". Well, there are people like me who don't like this because of the reasons stated in several posts above.

They aren't changing it for the minority.

They forcefully want to make me happy by disabling the option to turn the notifications off.

I think they just don't care.

It makes me think that they're doing this on purpose

XD Sure.

I'm perfectly calm. What bothers me is TT saying that there is no option to turn notifications of because "people like it". Well, there a

• Believe me, I tried to ignore it. Except the fact that during the cabin scene with Carver and Clem (TWD2E2) the scene was very tense and climatic, and then this goddamn 'He will remember that' popped up and completely ruined the mood for me. I said 'fuck that' and turned off the game. I returned to it later, of course, but the damage was done.

From that moment, when it comes to notifications, I'm a hater.

Ignore it. It doesn't matter.

• I think you are over exaggerating.

Believe me, I tried to ignore it. Except the fact that during the cabin scene with Carver and Clem (TWD2E2) the scene was very tense and cli

• edited November 2014

They aren't changing it for the minority.

And that also explains why branching storylines which aren't popular were dropped or completely sidelined (e.g. Lawrence in TWAU). The game in which my choices are supposed to matter, the story is tailored not by how I play, but how the MAJORITY plays. Well played. (no pun intended)

I think they just don't care.

Sad thing to say by a person who can't wait to play their games.

XD Sure.

< conspiracy_theory_mode_on > Who knows. It's not like they would have to restart the development of the entire game to put this option in. It's just strange. < conspiracy_theory_mode_off >

What bothers me is TT saying that there is no option to turn notifications of because "people like it". Well, there are people like me who d

• Saying that it's impossible to put this option in when it was possible before is overexaggerating.

I think you are over exaggerating.

• And that also explains why branching storylines which aren't popular were dropped or completely sidelined

That bugged me but I didn't care, he had cameos. It was also dropped because they had to rewrite the whole story after E1.

The game in which my choices are supposed to matter, the story is tailored not by how I play, but how the MAJORITY plays

Nope, it still matters. You are complaining about a line of text, I am saying the majority enjoys it and they won't change it.

Sad thing to say by a person who can't wait to play their games.

They care about their games but not some complaints about a line of text.

Who knows. It's not like they would have to restart the development of the entire game to put this option in. It's just strange.

It would cost more money and time. Too late already, the game is finalized.

They aren't changing it for the minority. And that also explains why branching storylines which aren't popular were dropped or compl

• (?) Telltale Forum will remember that.

• No, you are taking a small line of text personally. You are over exaggerating.

Except the fact that during the cabin scene with Carver and Clem (TWD2E2) the scene was very tense and climatic, and then this goddamn 'He will remember that' popped up and completely ruined the mood for me. I said 'fuck that' and turned off the game

That is one of the best examples of exaggerating.

Saying that it's impossible to put this option in when it was possible before is overexaggerating.

• I don't mind them at all, I actually really like the notifications, at times they can make me feel really guilty, for example...

''(?) Clementine feels hurt''

If three simple words can make me feel guilty, i think it's a great feature to have, making it even easier to regret choices, which is really a big thing in telltale games.

• I lolled.

• Newsflash:

Unless something changes for Borderlands and Game of Thrones, choices don't really matter regardless of if there's a popup or not. And, based on The Walking Dead's season 1, even choices without a notification can still alter dialog down the line. (Little thing, but thinking of the 'manure' thing here)

So, I'd do your best to ignore this and as others have said, I believe you're exaggerating.

I guess they will play it. Their choice. I'm not getting a game which shows in the most obnoxious way which choices matter and which don't. They're shooting their own foot by doing this.

• Look, you're right. They could include an option to disable the choice notification, but it really isn't that big of a deal for most people, I believe.

One thing that I believe you're wrong about though is that it's the majority who are vocal. A lot of the time it's the minority and this means they tend to get the thought in their head that they speak for everyone. Or is that rather a symptom of people just thinking they're right and human nature? Either way, I'd say it's the minority who speaks out, as you'll commonly find a lot of people don't go on forums. Or post.

They aren't changing it for the minority. And that also explains why branching storylines which aren't popular were dropped or compl

• edited November 2014

Haha but the notifications were funny at one moment like when you're at the bar and grendel is drunk and when he passes out its like Grendel won't remember that.

• I thought that the "Minimal" option under the gameplay option turned them off...

Does that mean it only turns off the selectable icons?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Good to see someone who understands the problem

• Happy? :\

Green613 posted: »

That was A Crooked Mile.

• Can anyone tell me which TT games allow us to turn off 'X will remember that'? Thanks.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2015

None. Except S1 of TWD? Not sure.

Unless the game just doesn't have choices.

the_bursk posted: »

Can anyone tell me which TT games allow us to turn off 'X will remember that'? Thanks.

• They can also be used as jokes. (Tales From The Borderlands is a prime example of that.)

MayorMilk posted: »

I don't mind them at all, I actually really like the notifications, at times they can make me feel really guilty, for example... ''(?) Cl

• Only TWD S1.

the_bursk posted: »

Can anyone tell me which TT games allow us to turn off 'X will remember that'? Thanks.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.