No disrespect to borderlands writer Anthony Burch but thank goodness he did not write the script lol

My biggest fear going into this game was that telltale was going to try to copy Anthony Burch style of humor from the other borderlands games.

Anthony Burch has a rapid fire comedy style were he is throwing a ton of pop culture and meme jokes at you every couple of seconds

That may have worked for a FPS but that would have been terrible for a story driven games and thankfully telltale realized that

Comments

• Oh, I agree. It was really refreshing to get some humor in this game that isn't cliches, tropes, or pushing a social agenda.

• It doesn't mean Anthony is a bad writer (I know you're not saying that)

I just think his writing style is suited to a more fast paced game style and with Telltale Games that's not really a suitable area for that to work. Though from what I hear the game is well written and is respectful the the universe it's set it.

• Very respectful of the universe, and actually, pretty fast paced.

It doesn't mean Anthony is a bad writer (I know you're not saying that) I just think his writing style is suited to a more fast paced gam

• Anthony Burch is a terrible writer even if he didn't rely on dated memes. Sorry, I just don't think they're good or even compelling stories.

I also love how he apologized for the arrow in the knee meme in Borderlands 2! Yeah, thanks for that, Burch. Of course, you only regret it NOW instead of thinking what would happen if you put all this annoying crap in a game ahead of time. It really makes the Borderlands games feel disposable.

• never understood why people have issues with memes and I don't even want to.

• I disagree, compared to Borderlands 1 Burch did so much to give the game a compelling narrative. I mean look at what he did, he gave us Handsome Jack, one of the best villains of modern day gaming, he gave us a story that actually felt structured and not "go here, shoot that, we promise there's loot at the end, oh no there isn't oh well thanks for playing"

Criticise the man on his constant referencing if you must, but you can't look at 1 and 2 and not notice the massive improvements Burch had made.

Baldex posted: »

Anthony Burch is a terrible writer even if he didn't rely on dated memes. Sorry, I just don't think they're good or even compelling stories.

• I don't either, for me it never felt forced, the story was the main focus but you could detract from the story and enjoy the world and it's humour, as well as getting loads of references to outside materials, it never uses them to further the story so I don't truly see the issue.

never understood why people have issues with memes and I don't even want to.

• I've never really understood the hate towards the writing in Borderlands. I've never played the first game, but I thought the writing in the second was pretty fantastic. Interesting story, an extremely diverse cast of awesome characters, hilarious, and one of the greatest villains in gaming. The Pre-Sequel, while not nearly as good as BL2, I still enjoyed a lot as well.

I disagree, compared to Borderlands 1 Burch did so much to give the game a compelling narrative. I mean look at what he did, he gave us Hand

• my issues with the writing

• Juvenile characters which are so underutilized that it makes them even more pointless then they already are.
    • Horrible reliance on forced memes.
    • making characters intentionally annoying doesn't make them not annoying
    • Claptrap
    • even if it wasn't full of memes, there's still a lot of cringe worthy jokes in the game
    • Terribly executed pop culture references.
    • An annoying villain with no real sense of direction. attempts to emulate the more popular, better written ones like glados and fails at it. His motivations and goals makes no sense and he's only funny if you like dick jokes.
    • The entire game is a fetch quest: go here, find/kill this, go back, repeat get loot buy dlc profit servers down forever congratulations you wasted your money now go get the newest one idiot
    • the same plot twist again recycled except with twice the stupid and moar sequel bait
    • It's fallout 3 except it's bad
    • go play fallout 3
    • who cares borderlands is still bad

I disagree, compared to Borderlands 1 Burch did so much to give the game a compelling narrative. I mean look at what he did, he gave us Hand

• Memes in games are an annoyance at best and ruin your immersion and the world the game makers are trying to create at worst. They're just lame, lazy and should not be used as a substitute for actual humor and certainly not in the way Borderlands 2 did it.

• Eh i barely noticed them

Memes in games are an annoyance at best and ruin your immersion and the world the game makers are trying to create at worst. They're just la

• edited November 2014

"who cares borderlands is still bad"

Alt text

my issues with the writing * Juvenile characters which are so underutilized that it makes them even more pointless then they alrea

• edited November 2014

While I agree Burch is a bit of a hack, I still enjoy the Borderlands games. I even started out with Fallout many moons ago.

Servers work great on PC. I've done some BL1 co-op recently.

...but don't play TPS if you've even considered it. (doubtful) The writing is way more forced.

my issues with the writing * Juvenile characters which are so underutilized that it makes them even more pointless then they alrea

• People just don't know what a meme is anymore.

Anything that's an idea, behavior, or style that gets shared and copied within a culture is a meme.

Deadpoolian posted: »

The only one from BL2 that I can even think of off the top of my head was the double rainbow one. And wasn't that one just a hidden easter e

• The only one from BL2 that I can even think of off the top of my head was the double rainbow one. And wasn't that one just a hidden easter egg?

I seriously don't think there's as many memes as some people make there out to be. Or maybe my memory is just bad. Regardless, I was never bothered by it when playing.

zeke10 posted: »

Eh i barely noticed them

• I think some of the skill names were meme reference but thats really it i barely remember any in the story

Deadpoolian posted: »

The only one from BL2 that I can even think of off the top of my head was the double rainbow one. And wasn't that one just a hidden easter e

• I agree that the game is fun with friends, but that can be applied to anything. That's not gonna influence my decision to buy the game, because one day those servers will go down and then you're left with nothing.

Also, what's TPS? What does that stand for? I'm curious.

madSimon posted: »

While I agree Burch is a bit of a hack, I still enjoy the Borderlands games. I even started out with Fallout many moons ago. Servers work

• "I agree that the game is fun with friends"

"who cares borderlands is still bad"

Alt text

I agree that the game is fun with friends, but that can be applied to anything. That's not gonna influence my decision to buy the game, beca

• They aren't really noticeable though

There's a part of the pop culture references section on the Borderlands wiki dedicated to memes. I skimmed over it, but I don't think it has all of them. There is a LOT more than what's on that site currently.

• There's a part of the pop culture references section on the Borderlands wiki dedicated to memes. I skimmed over it, but I don't think it has all of them. There is a LOT more than what's on that site currently.

I think some of the skill names were meme reference but thats really it i barely remember any in the story

• Baldex posted: »

Way to pay attention, memebot 3000. ANYTHING is fun with friends. PRACTICALLY ANYTHING, but once those servers shut down, you will be left

• They aren't really noticeable

There's a part of the pop culture references section on the Borderlands wiki dedicated to memes. I skimmed over it, but I don't think it has all of them. There is a LOT more than what's on that site currently.

• Way to pay attention, memebot 3000.
    ANYTHING is fun with friends. PRACTICALLY ANYTHING, but once those servers shut down, you will be left with a somehow simultaneously boring and obnoxious, run of the mill FPS that does nothing Fallout 3 doesn't do better.

"I agree that the game is fun with friends" "who cares borderlands is still bad"

• You're talking about the Steam servers going down for PC. Maybe that will happen, but if it does, a LOT of games are borked. That doesn't worry me.

...and for the most part, I play Borderlands solo anyway.

TPS = The Pre-Sequel. Latest entry in the BL series.

I agree that the game is fun with friends, but that can be applied to anything. That's not gonna influence my decision to buy the game, beca

• Yeah still barely noticed them

They are when they're shoved in your face the entire time. Menus, voice recordings, stuff you find in the world....

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Damn post keep disappearing

Way to pay attention, memebot 3000. ANYTHING is fun with friends. PRACTICALLY ANYTHING, but once those servers shut down, you will be left

• They are when they're shoved in your face the entire time. Menus, voice recordings, stuff you find in the world....

They aren't really noticeable

• Oh right, that game came out recently and already I completely forgot about it.

You're talking about the Steam servers going down for PC. Maybe that will happen, but if it does, a LOT of games are borked. That doesn't wo

• Nope lol is my love for borderlands like making you mad or something.

Alt text

Did you adopt Claptraps persona or something?

• Did you adopt Claptraps persona or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c Damn post keep disappearing

• I've already completed it with 100% achievements on Steam. It was a fun romp with mediocre writing.

Ironically enough, I tried to play Fallout 3 recently, but it takes some voodoo to get it running on modern OSes. Would I be doing myself a disservice to just skip it and try New Vegas?

Oh right, that game came out recently and already I completely forgot about it.

• Yeah, I recently had issues running Fallout 3 as well. New Vegas has its moments. I think it's a bit more interesting story wise and has more satisfying combat, but it can get really tedious, because of the terrible placement of quest related NPCs, but that's only an issue on multiple playthroughs. My biggest problems of the game was that it's buggy enough to be confused with the xbox it's running on, but that got resolved after a million patches.
    NV is basically the same game as 3 with more gambling thrown in, but it's still good. You also won't need to play 3 in order to understand what's going on in NV. The game is set to up to explain anything to you should you need it.

I've already completed it with 100% achievements on Steam. It was a fun romp with mediocre writing. Ironically enough, I tried to play Fa

• Fallout 3 is an RPG with a meh story and a few interesting characters. Borderlands is a fast paced FPS with a diverse cast and guns that actually hit their target. I love Fallout, especially New Vegas, but the games can't be compared, one's an open world RPG, the other's a fast paced loot'n'shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c Damn post keep disappearing

• Since you're on PC, play NV, the mods make it really good. I recommend Project Nevada, it adds a lot of extra gameplay elements, the best of which is sprinting (which consumes AP). Any NPC problems are fixed with the console anyway, as they are in ALL Bethesda games.

I've already completed it with 100% achievements on Steam. It was a fun romp with mediocre writing. Ironically enough, I tried to play Fa

• The servers going down doesn't matter, you can use services like Tuungle to play with a sort of online LAN connection, if that makes sense, so you and your friends can still play.

You're talking about the Steam servers going down for PC. Maybe that will happen, but if it does, a LOT of games are borked. That doesn't wo

• Then why're you the only one who noticed?

They are when they're shoved in your face the entire time. Menus, voice recordings, stuff you find in the world....

• This a lot of fallout characters were forgettable imho

Fallout 3 is an RPG with a meh story and a few interesting characters. Borderlands is a fast paced FPS with a diverse cast and guns that act

• Baldex in a nutshell

Alt text

Erm... because they're shoved in your face?? Like I said in the post you commented on??

• Erm... because they're shoved in your face?? Like I said in the post you commented on??

Then why're you the only one who noticed?

• Not when the newest game is out and everyone is playing that one and nobody is playing attention at the old ones which means you're in a vicious cycle of buying the same game over and over for the same reason over and over and you'll do the same things over and ovzlfegzohtjzj)zrokgpk,rzngz,ngnzont

The servers going down doesn't matter, you can use services like Tuungle to play with a sort of online LAN connection, if that makes sense, so you and your friends can still play.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.