4th wall break - never get to know the truth??

Ok so I played the first episode and love it well for the most part, but some of the choices put addition pressure on the player. So I just want to make sure to find if that remains in the game for the rest of the episodes.

Ok so the game switch back between the start of the story from both Rhys and Flona's point of view respectively, then switch to the future when both are cached by a bandit in a mask, he force both of the characters to tell their stories. Now come the bit I am confused about, the 4th wall is when characters from a movie or a video game stop doing what they are doing and addresses the players/watchers for a min. At that point in game when the bandit comes and takes Rhys to the place where he is holding Fiona. Rhys gets angry saying basically this is where Fiona ruins his plan. Then your start to control Fiona, and it start with a 4 or 5 line choice what happens to the Vault Key next, one of the choices is correct - the key blows up, Fiona connects a explosion to it. The rest of the choices are lies apparently, Fiona is a con-artist, she doesn't always tell the truth.

For the first time players of the episode, and I guess for future episodes as well, it is hard to make a choice, the player doesn't know what happens so they have to take a guess and hope they are correct. This shouldn't a problem cause this is a dialog game, however tell-tale have stated before releasing the episode that both Fiona and Rhys lie a lot, to get the real story you have to tell the truth, this is make all the harder because they Player have to guess what happens next out of a list of choices. So I am guessing the rest story, rather it is the real one or not is up to the player to find. If they keep telling lies they aren't going to find what really happens - yeah, this element is going to be annoying

Comments

• That's part of the fun.

It'll probably be at the end of the game, you have to decide who's version of events is the "truth". There will be a lot of threads about "Rhys was truthful" and "Fiona is truthful" or "They were both lying".

It'll be your choice; of who YOU think is the most reliable. :)

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2014

Actually, everything she can say is true.

The key broke, it did.

The Vault Hunter showed up, Zer0, a Vault Hunter, showed up

A ganglord showed up, that would be Bossanova.

It's... Complicated, she's referring to all three.(and all three happen regardless of what you say)

Basically it is a Big Fish story with people lying, so we might not ever know the full truth, but we will know most of it.

• that might happen in the forums, I doubt it would happen in the game.

Trentest0 posted: »

That's part of the fun. It'll probably be at the end of the game, you have to decide who's version of events is the "truth". There will b

• okey please explain more, I don't know anything about the boradlands world, playing this tell-tale game is the first tings I know about it.

What are Vault Hunters and who is Zero?

dojo32161 posted: »

Actually, everything she can say is true. The key broke, it did. The Vault Hunter showed up, Zer0, a Vault Hunter, showed up

• A Vault Hunter is someone that tries to find the ''Vaults'' located in Pandora. Those Vaults are said to contain advanced alien technology or just valuable stuff in general.

Zer0 is one of those Vault Hunters.

Alt text

He's also the guy you meet in Tales from the Borderlands.

okey please explain more, I don't know anything about the boradlands world, playing this tell-tale game is the first tings I know about it. What are Vault Hunters and who is Zero?

• They're using a narrative mechanic called the unreliable narrator. Essentially we take for granted in most books, films, shows, that have a seemingly omnipresent narrator or narrative voice that this person, or persons, are always telling the truth. With this game our narrators like to lie and embellish so we have to just go along with them and question what is real and whats not. Gives us a bit more work to do but it makes you look at more aspects of the story instead of just blindly following along with it. A book called the house of leaves used a similar mechanic as did the movie The Usual Suspects.

• Oh God, you just made me want to go back and look at all the backgrounds of the present-day scenes to make sure we're not being Keyser Söze'd.

That movie is the reason why I have trust issues...

ecompton3 posted: »

They're using a narrative mechanic called the unreliable narrator. Essentially we take for granted in most books, films, shows, that have a

• Oh that's right him, ok thank you.

So Borderlands deal with outer space. There are alien tec, which is abandon? this stuff is worth a of money basically. So what happen to the aliens they leave their stuff places where people can't find it? don't they come back for their stuff ever?

A Vault Hunter is someone that tries to find the ''Vaults'' located in Pandora. Those Vaults are said to contain advanced alien technology o

• edited December 2014

Ok so why did that movie give you trust issues? look if you hate the movie don't watch it again.

Oh God, you just made me want to go back and look at all the backgrounds of the present-day scenes to make sure we're not being Keyser Söze'd. That movie is the reason why I have trust issues...

• It was a joke, Pumpkin - Don't worry your pretty little head.

Ok so why did that movie give you trust issues? look if you hate the movie don't watch it again.

• It was a joke, Pumpkin - Don't worry your pretty little head.

Alt text

Pumpkin, don't worry my head :/ thanks now I have a jack o lantern image stuck in my mind. :/

It was a joke, Pumpkin - Don't worry your pretty little head.

• More like a Handsome Jack-O-Lantern, am I right?

I'll show myself out...

It was a joke, Pumpkin - Don't worry your pretty little head. Pumpkin, don't worry my head thanks now I have a jack o lantern image stuck in my mind.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.