Comments

• here is the file
    same problem as everyone else

https://www.sendspace.com/file/z7nv5n

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

Please rename the prefs.prop files in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your saves should be restored.

glasdale posted: »

here is the file same problem as everyone else https://www.sendspace.com/file/z7nv5n

• It still did not work. So I tried to restore the game by rewinding it. However, the rewind options only go so far to the middle of the first episode.

I thought it might have been a mistake, so I loaded it anyway. As it turns out, it was not a mistake, and somehow the saved progress have disappeared even before I rewound the game. Since this will make it the fifth time I've played through the second half of the first episode, I will simply stop playing it before I tear my eyes out.

Thanks anyway.

edited September 2014

@DeadMeWalking My apologies, that last response was meant for @glasdale. Your extra prefs.prop file is located in

and renaming it to prefs.prop.bak should resolve your issue. If you are still experiencing an issue after renaming the prefs.prop file, please run the support tool again, and I will be able to assist you further.

It still did not work. So I tried to restore the game by rewinding it. However, the rewind options only go so far to the middle of the first

• @TelltaleMike
    You have nothing to be sorry about. I just resolved the issue by moving the file instead of renaming the file. I believe that was your suggestion to an earlier post.

So really, thanks very much :-)

@DeadMeWalking My apologies, that last response was meant for @glasdale. Your extra prefs.prop file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\

• I hope I'm on the right topic.

Here is my file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wlmhou

I have a problem with WD: season 2. the game simply does not start. After a black screen (approx 2-3 seconds of it) it stops working. No error reports or nothing. I'm playing it trough steam, after finishing season 1.

List of 'fixes' I've tried so far:

• reinstalling the game
    • verifying game cache
    • searching for prefs.prop files (1 found)
    • running the game in different compatibility modes

nothing worked. :(

edited September 2014

@DeadMeWalking You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the game!

@TelltaleMike You have nothing to be sorry about. I just resolved the issue by moving the file instead of renaming the file. I believe that was your suggestion to an earlier post. So really, thanks very much :-)

@Alexander7777 I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions (You may have tried a few of these, but I will provide all of the potential solutions below):

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

9) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

10) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

11) Disable any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game's communication with our servers.

I hope I'm on the right topic. Here is my file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wlmhou I have a problem with WD: season 2. the game sim

• I have tried almost everything you suggested. Still no changes.

The first thing I did not do is try to update my BIOS drivers, I just don't know how to do that. And I hope THAT is not the exact thing causing the problem for WD season 2. I would expect BIOS to be a 'bigger' problem than that. (if nothing else works, I guess that is what I'll get some help with updating it)

Second, and last thing - firewall/antivirus. As fas as I know, I only have the basic windows firewall (tried disabling it, din't work). and a free version of avast antivirus. Tried disabling it's network and online protection services - nothing happened...

Is there really nothing else i could try before messing with the essence of my system (BIOS) ??

@Alexander7777 I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions (You may have tried a few of these, but I will provide

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information again, it doesn't seem that Season Two was fully installed when you ran the support tool batch file. Please reinstall the game, and run the support tool again, and I will be able to assist you further.

I have tried almost everything you suggested. Still no changes. The first thing I did not do is try to update my BIOS drivers, I just don

• I got my game running, i have no problems any more. Thanks for your help.

In the end i installed the game on C partition, instead of D (where mu steam is installed). I don't know why but - this solved the problem completely. :)

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information again, it doesn't seem that Season Two was fully install

Thank you for providing the extra information. Enjoy the game!

I got my game running, i have no problems any more. Thanks for your help. In the end i installed the game on C partition, instead of D (where mu steam is installed). I don't know why but - this solved the problem completely.

• I'm having a similar issue. Any time I try to play any episode but the very first one I get the black screen after it asks me if i want to rewind to that check point, no matter whether I click yes or no. Sometimes the axe is there, but sometimes it isn't. This didn't happen the first time I played through the game, only upon reinstalling it to replay did this begin.

Here's the link to my troubleshooter file. https://www.sendspace.com/file/isvgs1

Please rename the prefs.prop file in

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your save files should be restored.

sermi_jer posted: »

I'm having a similar issue. Any time I try to play any episode but the very first one I get the black screen after it asks me if i want to r

• Hi, I am having the problem described in the headline. Here is my support file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6zrnjq

• I fixed the problem problem by copy/pasting the prefs.prop file from the default folder to the walkingdead102 folder.

I found the solution here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/207610/discussions/0/810920325505284462/

credit goes to user FreestyleCab.

romyIII posted: »

Hi, I am having the problem described in the headline. Here is my support file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6zrnjq

• Hello

I am on MACOSX- 10.10.1, like a lot of people it seems I have the problem with my TWD.
    About TWD season 1 : I already finished it one time and I can't play again because when I launch the game I have a black screen (I have the sound but nothing else)

About TWD season 2 : I installed the game today and I have some black screen (with the sound of some walkers and ambience) when I play.

Can you help me to fix these problems

Thank you.

Here the support file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/1hrqvr

edited December 2014

My apologies, please try the workaround suggested by another player using Mac OS 10.10, below:

1) In System Preferences, Displays, select Scaled - More Space to change the screen resolution to very detailed.

2) In System Preferences, Dock, deselect 'Automatically hide and show the dock', to be able to click on the bottom of the screen.

3) Start up the game and run it in windowed mode using 'CMD + F'.

4) You should see the main menu now and be able to change the screen resolution to one that fits the window.

Dysnosia posted: »

Hello I am on MACOSX- 10.10.1, like a lot of people it seems I have the problem with my TWD. About TWD season 1 : I already finished it

• Thank you for the "shoddy workmanship", thanks to this method I can play to TWD season 1. Are you working on that problem? (for a more convenient fixing)

About TWD season 2, the problem is a little bit different. As I said in my last message, I can play but sometimes the screen is freezing and after that a black screen (This several bugs appears during the game). Should I use the same method?

My apologies, please try the workaround suggested by another player using Mac OS 10.10, below: 1) In System Preferences, Displays, select

If you experience a black screen when playing Season Two, can you please clarify if it is when you start the game, or when you are in-game and start an episode? Or, is it when you are playing, during an episode?

Thank you for the "shoddy workmanship", thanks to this method I can play to TWD season 1. Are you working on that problem? (for a more conve

• When I am playing (during an episode)

If you experience a black screen when playing Season Two, can you please clarify if it is when you start the game, or when you are in-game and start an episode? Or, is it when you are playing, during an episode?

Can you please clarify if switching to Windowed Mode by using the Mac Shortcut (Command+F) allows you to play without experiencing the black screen?

When I am playing (during an episode)

• Hi, I am all of a sudden having this problem.

When I start up the game I can hear music, but its a black screen with no cursor.
    I followed the steps for the support tool. Here is my information:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/y2pa4l

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and/or graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

codegirl posted: »

Hi, I am all of a sudden having this problem. When I start up the game I can hear music, but its a black screen with no cursor. I follow

• Woo hoo!! It works again~~ Thank You TelltaleMike!

\(^▽^)/

Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortc

You're welcome, enjoy the game!!!

codegirl posted: »

Woo hoo!! It works again~~ Thank You TelltaleMike! \(^▽^)/

• Hey TelltaleMike I hope you can help me, I purchased the game two years ago and I can't still play it. Iv'e tried it on two different laptops and it still brings me up the black screen and the axe at the beggining of episode 2. This is the link to my support tool info file, thank you very much in advance.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/9zn1la

Please try renaming the file 'prefs - copia.prop' to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and see if you are then able to progress in the game successfully.

Hey TelltaleMike I hope you can help me, I purchased the game two years ago and I can't still play it. Iv'e tried it on two different laptop

• Hey Mike thanks for your answer but it didn´t solve the issue with my game, I renamed the file and started the game right to ep 2 and it still displays the axe on the left side of the screen meanwhile all of the background is black with a piece of music.

@diegomendozaq Please check if you have Steam cloud saves enabled. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam Library, clicking Properties, and click the Updates tab. Near the bottom of the page, you can see if the Steam Cloud is enabled for The Walking Dead: Season One) If it is enabled, does disabling it, and restarting Steam allow you to access your saves?

Hey Mike thanks for your answer but it didn´t solve the issue with my game, I renamed the file and started the game right to ep 2 and it sti

• edited December 2014

Hey Mike I did the steam cloud check thing and even tough I disabled I can't still pass from the black axe screen. Im going to attach some files for you to see, maybe Im doing something wrong. Thank you.

[url]https://www.sendspace.com/file/7tx5ld[/url]

[url]https://www.sendspace.com/file/pnfhcb[/url]

• Here is my help file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/goy2en
    I have the same black screen problem when trying to start episode 3 of season 1. When I tried reinstalling the game while saving the previous gameplay I can't even launch it anymore. All it has is the black screen and my mouse has disappeared. Please help me

edited January 2015

@diegomendozaq Please try deleting 'prefs - copia.prop', then restart the game, and you should be able to see your save files.

@wdfan8 Please try running the game either As an Administrator, or in a Compatibility Mode (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

Hey Mike I did the steam cloud check thing and even tough I disabled I can't still pass from the black axe screen. Im going to attach some f

• I still can't play the game, I've done everything you have told me. Is there anything else we could do? is there a way to do a clean reinstall of the game files or something like that? I would really like to play from episode 2 onwards I even want to purchase season 2 but I cant manage to do get the game working, please let me know if I can do anything else.

@diegomendozaq Please try deleting 'prefs - copia.prop', then restart the game, and you should be able to see your save files. @wdfan8 Please try running the game either As an Administrator, or in a Compatibility Mode (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

My only other recommendation would be to completely reinstall the game, and delete the files associated with the game, and starting a new game fresh. In order to do this, please right click the game in your Steam Library, and click Delete Local Content. This will uninstall the game. Then go to the following file directory:

C:\Users\Diego\Documents\Telltale Games\

and delete the 'The Walking Dead' folder from the Telltale Games folder. Then reinstall the game, and start it, and you should be able to play successfully. Again, apologies for any difficulties this has caused you.

I still can't play the game, I've done everything you have told me. Is there anything else we could do? is there a way to do a clean reinsta

• @TelltaleMike thank you very much Mike. I unistalled it and deleted the file directory you mentioned in your last commet and I'm redownloading the full game right now, I'll let you know how everything turns out. You've been very helpful and patient. Thanks again.

My only other recommendation would be to completely reinstall the game, and delete the files associated with the game, and starting a new ga

You're welcome, I hope you are now able to enjoy the game!

@TelltaleMike thank you very much Mike. I unistalled it and deleted the file directory you mentioned in your last commet and I'm redownloadi

• edited February 2015

Mod Edit

This discussion has been closed.