Dev here, checking in with you guys!

Comments

• Same here, and I was actually actively looking for it. :o

I didn't catch it until it was pointed out on the forums, so I guess it was well-hidden enough for me. Same for me. I only saw it once OzzyUK pointed it out in the "Things You May Have Missed" thread.

• Oh never mind then

He was already involved with season 2. He was a designer and wrote the interactive story for All That Remains and Amid the Ruins.

• edited January 2015

"The Walking Dead: Season Two" is awesome. He was even for me even better than the first season. Clementine - playable character, an amazing story, versatile characters, dramatic, breathtaking soundtrack, stunning locations, a dynamic plot and difficult choices, well-thought-out dilemmas. I can not wait until Season Three :)

Clemenem posted: »

I watch the show. There was a marathon not too long afo and I read the comics but look how bad working on Season 2 and TWAU turned out for S2

• edited January 2015

huh.

Karnedg2013 posted: »

"The Walking Dead: Season Two" is awesome. He was even for me even better than the first season. Clementine - playable character, an amazing

• I just wanna say: PLEASE keep inserting forum references and jokes in the games. I have too much joy when I find those Easter eggs

• I think that number is going to be 3 with the release of Minecraft.

But then again, we don't know WHEN it's going to release, so...

Dapnee posted: »

I'm sure that's on TT's back burner right now. They're producing two different games at the same time and are working on the beginnings of a

• Exactly huh. Never thought I'd agree with a Minecraft defender but here I am

J-Master posted: »

huh.

• The Walking Dead show is trash, and that is before comparing it to Telltale's game. The comic is alright, but it's just a comic. Meh.

Dapnee posted: »

I'm sure that's on TT's back burner right now. They're producing two different games at the same time and are working on the beginnings of a

• To each his own. My sister is all over the everything in the Walking Dead series. You try reading the Rise of the Govener books? I couldn't get into those.

ElJacko posted: »

The Walking Dead show is trash, and that is before comparing it to Telltale's game. The comic is alright, but it's just a comic. Meh.

• edited February 2015

Dear @MarkDarin, just some question:

Can you share what's happening with episode 2? Everyone io so elusive, or totally absent here... What kind of problems have you guys crashed into, and can we help someway - a petition, or something?

• "I'm also here because I want you guys to know that we are always looking at these forums and love hearing from the community. Your opinions are important to us. And while I can't really answer and direct questions about the game at this time, I'm always happy to interact with you guys."

Oh really? Then come on...just say something....anything as to why episode 2 is taking so long and why it will be out only in March at the earliest. A three and a half to four months wait is unforgivable. I repeat that...UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Take some ownership.

You guys are not fly-by-night small-time indie devs anymore. Millions are being pumped into your company by venture capitalists, and you earn hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue each year for the past couple of years. THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE!!!

• edited February 2015

Borderlands,
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel,
    Borderlands 2,
    Tales From The Borderlands,

This should be the current chronological order.

Charon-J posted: »

First, the mandatory question that we know you won't answer: when will ep.1 premiere? Secondly – could you answer when Athena's story in

• TellTale be like:

Alt text

• edited February 2015

"Silence is a valid option".

• edited February 2015

When are people gonna realize there are separate teams for everything? One games' release/condition/whatever doesn't impact in any major way, whether we are talking about Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us or Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands.

Clemenem posted: »

I watch the show. There was a marathon not too long afo and I read the comics but look how bad working on Season 2 and TWAU turned out for S2

• They already did for Borderlands

Alt text

Have you worked in a Banang gag yet? This must be answered Mark! (Borderlands is a fairly goofy franchise, so I imagine they easily could sneak some in.)

• edited February 2015

I'm waiting.

• Mate, seriously you must be joking. TTG isn't all that large a studio. There is bound to be an overlap. Perhaps the core teams are unique to each of their major efforts (but still, they may work on upcoming projects, like Minecraft and that IP), but the optimization and porting teams are bound to be majorly the same for example.

When are people gonna realize there are separate teams for everything? One games' release/condition/whatever doesn't impact in any major way

• They were saying that working on Wolf Among Us effected the writing of Walking Dead S2, which isn't true. They had separate writers and separate teams, one of the games didn't effect the other.

And yeah, for the main portion of all their games there are separate teams, and that includes the final production to the best of my knowledge so ones games' release doesn't effect another.

himmatsj posted: »

Mate, seriously you must be joking. TTG isn't all that large a studio. There is bound to be an overlap. Perhaps the core teams are unique to

• They had separate writers and separate teams, one of the games didn't effect the other.

Pierre Shorette: writer for both TWAU and TWD. He wrote Faith, In Harms Way, and co-wrote No Going Back

Eric Stirpe: designer for both games, co-wrote Amid the Ruins

This doesn't look like separate teams to me.

They were saying that working on Wolf Among Us effected the writing of Walking Dead S2, which isn't true. They had separate writers and sepa

• Honestly, S2 of the game was eerily similar to the show... Lots of replaceable characters, and those that aren't are milked until we're tired of seeing them. A hopeless atmosphere, and developing characters just for them to die a second later (Luke, Nick, Jane, Walter). Only difference is that there are unforgettable characters in the show, like Merle, Glenn, Rick, and Carl, while there's pretty much just Kenny who isn't replaceable in S2.

ElJacko posted: »

The Walking Dead show is trash, and that is before comparing it to Telltale's game. The comic is alright, but it's just a comic. Meh.

• If that's the case, then expect Season 3 of the game to be like the show, a much better and improved season with an interesting villain and some of the best episodes the show has had.

Harpadarpa posted: »

Honestly, S2 of the game was eerily similar to the show... Lots of replaceable characters, and those that aren't are milked until we're tire

• edited February 2015

My bad, I forgot that apparently only two people work on the whole game.

They had separate writers and separate teams, one of the games didn't effect the other. Pierre Shorette: writer for both TWAU and TW

• You did this at the steam forums and now you have the stones to try it again?

"I'm also here because I want you guys to know that we are always looking at these forums and love hearing from the community. Your opinions

• I get that the wait for Episode 2 is taking a while, but please don't bump old threads with irrelevant posts about the wait. I'm pretty sure Mark Darin in particular is not behind the wait, nor can I imagine it's his place to openly talk about the wait.

• dw once the episode comes out he will go away

You did this at the steam forums and now you have the stones to try it again?

• ...Until Telltale takes more than 4-6 weeks to release the next episode, I imagine. ;)

Jewfreeus posted: »

dw once the episode comes out he will go away

• hahaha yep pretty much :P

...Until Telltale takes more than 4-6 weeks to release the next episode, I imagine.

• edited February 2015

Those were just the 2 I could remember at the top of my head. After watching the credits, you also had Ryan Kaufman, Dennis Lenart, Andrew Langley, Eric Parsons, Jason Latino, Dave Grossman, Nick Herman, Jason Kim, Janel Drewis, Scott Hammock, and several others featured in both games as designers, writers, directors, artists, and other roles.

My bad, I forgot that apparently only two people work on the whole game.

• Please create a thread on this man. So sick of all these people here saying Telltale has completely separate teams working on TFTB and GoT, as well as their upcoming projects (implying at least three completely distinct teams, which is bullocks).

Those were just the 2 I could remember at the top of my head. After watching the credits, you also had Ryan Kaufman, Dennis Lenart, Andrew L

• I don't think that a few (I doubt all of those people were working on both games) people working on both games would have a major effect on both games as whole.

Those were just the 2 I could remember at the top of my head. After watching the credits, you also had Ryan Kaufman, Dennis Lenart, Andrew L

• We don't need threads on everything just to complain.

Please create a thread on this man. So sick of all these people here saying Telltale has completely separate teams working on TFTB and GoT, as well as their upcoming projects (implying at least three completely distinct teams, which is bullocks).

• I don't believe this is a laughing matter now, is it?

...Until Telltale takes more than 4-6 weeks to release the next episode, I imagine.

• With Tales and Thrones they do seem to have separate teams. I haven't seen a single name in both credits yet for those games, it just seemed like TWAU and TWD that had multiple names. Tales and Thrones don't seem to have that problem, so it does seem that they have learned.

Please create a thread on this man. So sick of all these people here saying Telltale has completely separate teams working on TFTB and GoT, as well as their upcoming projects (implying at least three completely distinct teams, which is bullocks).

• I might be wrong about two completely separate teams for both Wolf and Walking Dead (though I do think that a majority of the team was different) but Thrones and Tales do have completely separate teams save just a couple of people that aren't big enough to make a difference.

• Hm, fair enough then. But I do strongly think that the two teams are each devoting some resources to one future project.

With Tales and Thrones they do seem to have separate teams. I haven't seen a single name in both credits yet for those games, it just seemed

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2015

[I'm not a Telltale Staff member, but I'm basing this knowledge from articles/interviews/etc I've read]

(I think) Telltale used to have the same team for an entire Season, but now they have different teams for each episode. Yes, people can work on multiple Seasons technically, but individual people likely aren't working on multiple Episodes simultaneously as they have someone else to take on their role for different episodes. Even back when they had one team for an entire Season, Telltale didn't really have the entire team working on one episode beforehand. Some positions like artists, writers, etc would first work on an episode and set up the narrative framework so that animators, coders, etc would execute the back-end work.

For example, they can have a team of modelers and artists handle the environments for an episode of one game, and then can turn around and design an environment for another game afterwards. You may notice the same names in the credits at various points in the Season, but if two episodes are released around the same time, I doubt you will see the same names in two episodes released closely to each other.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/23/5224694/how-telltale-teamed-up-with-game-of-thrones-and-borderlands

"We all work in the same office and we don't outsource our work," Allison explained. "People who come to Telltale from other video game companies struggle with how we make games because it's so different from working at other studios. The concept of teams here doesn't necessarily exist; we have groups doing certain things like building sets or animating scenes, and a leadership team that has producers to keep people in check and directors to direct episodes."

Allison explained that studio members will move between projects as needed. Animators and other developers could work on one episode of The Walking Dead before moving on to create scenery for The Wolf Among Us and then back to Walking Dead again. The team is a series of moving parts that build where things need building at any given time.

"The idea of having four teams working on four different things doesn't exist here," he said. "The way we make the games, it's just not the same. It fits with the way they build the game, the episodic nature and the way they play like television shows. It's not 50 guys working on the same game for 18 months."

In other words, yes, people can move across Seasons, but that shouldn't impact the quality of the individual episodes nor the overall Seasons as someone else will take their place while they work on another title. Again, the important distinction is that although they can optionally move across Seasons, their attention is still placed on one Episode at a time and not multiple Episodes simultaneously. Additionally, it's not just one team of artists/writers/coders/etc moving in between different episodes - Telltale still has multiple teams, it's just that as of recently, they now switch between episodes and not Seasons.

• But wouldn't having separate teams for certain episodes lead to more inconsistencies. People say that the character of Carver was inconsistent, that Episode 2 Carver was different than Episode 3 Carver in TWD S2. Could it be as a result of different people working on different episodes and not being fully aware of what the other team is doing?

[I'm not a Telltale Staff member, but I'm basing this knowledge from articles/interviews/etc I've read] (I think) Telltale used to have t

• TL;DR:

For a large portion of Telltale's history, different portions of a Season's team have worked on different episodes; not every person of a game's team would work on the same episode at once as certain positions (such as artists, writers, etc) would set up the narrative frame work of an earlier episode and then could move on to a future episode, while other parts of the team would finish and finalize the work for earlier episodes.

However, around 2013 or so, Telltale mentioned that team members can now move between episodes across Seasons while still focusing on one episode at once. Even if a person is working on multiple Seasons, their work is still focused in on one episode at a time and that should not hurt the overall Season's quality.

Instead of one person only making art for Episodes 1, 3, and 5 of Game X, they can also make art for Episodes 2 and 4 of Game Y while another person on a different team could make art for Episodes 2 and 4 of Game X.

[I'm not a Telltale Staff member, but I'm basing this knowledge from articles/interviews/etc I've read] (I think) Telltale used to have t

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2015

Even in Season 1 of Walking Dead, Telltale would still switch writers for different Episodes. Sean Vanaman wrote Episodes 1,3, and 5. Gary Whitta wrote Episode 4, and Mark Darin wrote Episode 2.

The only difference is that rhetorically speaking, under Telltale's old method, Sean could previously just wait around until Episode 2 was finished so he could write Episode 3 (Telltale frequently mentions they revise parts of the Season to account for player choice and feedback, so although they have the major portions of the story planned out, they would still not be able to write the final script until they had released Episode 2, accounted for player feedback and choices, etc). However, with Telltale's current method, Sean could have theoretically wrote Episodes 2 and 4 for another game instead of waiting around.

That doesn't just apply exclusively to writing. From what I hear in articles/interviews/other places, Telltale frequently spends time revising animation, cinematography, writing, game design, etc in future episodes to account for player feedback from previous episodes. They do have the overall story planned out for a Season and they don't change the gameplay either, but they still wait until they account for player feedback of previous episodes before finalizing art/cinematography/story elements/etc for future episodes.

But wouldn't having separate teams for certain episodes lead to more inconsistencies. People say that the character of Carver was inconsiste

Sign in to comment in this discussion.