I think this is the first time I've rooted for the Bandits

I love Telltale. Wolf Among Us is damn fine story telling and their GOT work is amazing, and I love Homestar as well.

But I am tired of these whiny hipster characters already. Pandora is a rough, nasty place and all of the protagonists and their sidekicks seem to treat it like a Starbucks in Williamsburg. So far the Loader Bot and the Vault Hunter(s) are my favorite characters...which bodes ill. Billy Crystal in City Slickers was more cowboy than these people.

I have to care about a character to enjoy a story.

My $.02

Comments

• edited April 2015

how are they treating it like starbucks? Vaughn was terrified throughout the 1st episode

• whiny hipster characters already.

Stopped taking this seriously right here.

• But I am tired of these whiny hipster characters already.

I think you're in the wrong place, this isn't Life is Strange.

• Every reply has 4 likes. trippy

• Alt text

zeke10 posted: »

Every reply has 4 likes. trippy

• YOOO SHOTS LMAO

Alt text

But I am tired of these whiny hipster characters already. I think you're in the wrong place, this isn't Life is Strange.

• What?

• #REKT

But I am tired of these whiny hipster characters already. I think you're in the wrong place, this isn't Life is Strange.

• The whole point of the series is to show that Pandora is a place with normal inhabitants other than psychos and Vault Hunters. People are born there, and make their living there, and raise their families there - it's about their stories in the midst of all the chaos and brutality.

Same for Hyperion/Helios. It's not all psychopathic despots and plans to take over the universe - these are just a bunch of people working 9-5 (or whatever the Elpis' equivalent is), trying to climb the corporate ladder, who have dreams and aspirations like anyone else.

While I wouldn't go so far to call them 'whiny hipsters', they're certainly not Vault Hunters - but that's the point! And personally, I think their humanistic qualities is what makes the series work so well. They're relatable, in a way that Vault Hunters/Psychos/'evil' characters like Jack never could be.

Also, did you ever think the reason you're rooting for the Bandits is due to Telltale's portrayal of them? Even they have been humanised. They have distinct personalities and a sense of humour, and are way more than the bullet sponges we normally perceive them to be.

• This.

The whole point of the series is to show that Pandora is a place with normal inhabitants other than psychos and Vault Hunters. People are bo

• Why must you attack my Max. ):

• I cant think of any hipster characters in either game.

• Alt text

The whole point of the series is to show that Pandora is a place with normal inhabitants other than psychos and Vault Hunters. People are bo

• They're all hipsters in LIS...

Flog61 posted: »

I cant think of any hipster characters in either game.

• Have you even played the game?

• Yep!

Can't think of any hipsters.

Green613 posted: »

Have you even played the game?

• Well, they aren't, so give some examples?

DeityD posted: »

They're all hipsters in LIS...

• Examples of people or why they're hipsters?

Well, they aren't, so give some examples?

• edited April 2015

The game centers around coming of age and the end of the world during the iPhone generation. Seeing hipsters everywhere doesn't seem like a far stretch to me.

• The bandits are pretty entertaining too.

• Well said, sir. So I'm to understand that he just wants a game full of vault hunters? Wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

• Examples of characters in Life is Strange that conform to a hipster lifestyle.

Examples of people or why they're hipsters?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Also, did you ever think the reason you're rooting for the Bandits is due to Telltale's portrayal of them? Even they have been humanised. They have distinct personalities and a sense of humour, and are way more than the bullet sponges we normally perceive them to be.

Long live car prepping bandit

• Max, her entire class and Jefferson to boot. That girl with the drone whose name I don't remember and the guy whose name I also don't remember that can show us his "photo-masterpieces" while being as smug as possible about it. Chloe on a verge of being a hipster or a punk or something like that. Also Warren, though he's more of a nerd than a hipster but still close enough.

Examples of characters in Life is Strange that conform to a hipster lifestyle.

• edited April 2015

Max is not hipster in any way, she's just a normal girl. Hipsters dont wear shit like hoodies and jeans as their go-to-gear

What members of her class are hipsters? Mr Jefferson? How is he a hipster? Purely because he has glasses and does an art subject?

Literally none of them wear hipster clothes nor say they are hipsters.

Chloe is really really not a hipster. Ripped jeans, blue hair and a beanie is like schoolbook punk.

The girl with her droid is just a clever girl wearing a hoodie and jeans. How is that hipster?

Do you even know what hipsters look like?

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

No-one in life is strange looks even close.

Max, her entire class and Jefferson to boot. That girl with the drone whose name I don't remember and the guy whose name I also don't rememb

• Being a hipster is not about the looks at all. It's about your views - how you view yourself and other people. It's about feeling different and better, doing things that most people don't and giving them shit for being "average". They all do that. Especially Max, since we play as her and can "hear" what she's thinking - she talks shit about everything and everyone. Literally. The same goes for the rest of the youngsters in LIS.

Jefferson thinks he's cool and forever young, he talks like he's 18 years old and basically trying to be that "teacher-friend you always wanted".

Max is not hipster in any way, she's just a normal girl. Hipsters dont wear shit like hoodies and jeans as their go-to-gear What members

• Yes! Sadly the same can't be said for our awesome Psycho friend...

RIP MEAT BUDDY, YOU REALLY ARE RIDING THE DEATH TRAIN NOW. :'(

Deltino posted: »

Also, did you ever think the reason you're rooting for the Bandits is due to Telltale's portrayal of them? Even they have been humanised. Th

• Oh man, that reference brought tears to my eyes. :) Liked Trevor so much and liked that bickering with Michael.

And I guess Max is a young proto-hipster then. xD Not a typical one, but still one day she'll be one hell of a hipster.

• edited April 2015

Eh, I think Max is pretty hipster already. She judges people, attends a photography class, plays the guitar and listens to one-man bands. But to her credit, at least she seems self aware. When she looks at her "ancient" CD-Player and wonders wether she should switch to vinyl, she's like "Is that too hipster? I don't care. Music inspires me and my photography." I know that "I-don't-give-a-shit" attitude just adds to the pile of evidence but this scent of honesty and self awareness really evens the taste of pretentiousness out in my book.

Oh man, that reference brought tears to my eyes. Liked Trevor so much and liked that bickering with Michael. And I guess Max is a young proto-hipster then. xD Not a typical one, but still one day she'll be one hell of a hipster.

• Yeah she's not a bad person, just there's a lot of things about her that scream "hipster" and the main indicator for me is her attitude towards other people so I emphasized on that.

Eh, I think Max is pretty hipster already. She judges people, attends a photography class, plays the guitar and listens to one-man bands. Bu

• I suppose you also have to consider the circumstances that she's a teenage member of generation iPhone AND studies at an elitist academy. The appearance that pretty much everyone is acting above everything seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah she's not a bad person, just there's a lot of things about her that scream "hipster" and the main indicator for me is her attitude towards other people so I emphasized on that.

• Yep, that's why her class is full of hipsters and possibly the whole Blackwell. It's all understandable.

I suppose you also have to consider the circumstances that she's a teenage member of generation iPhone AND studies at an elitist academy. The appearance that pretty much everyone is acting above everything seems like a no-brainer.

• edited April 2015

Being a hipster is not about the looks at all.

Really?

Whether you fall into a subculture like this entirely depends on personality and not looks?

So if someone is often upset, but wears very bright clothing all the time, that makes them a Goth?

It's about feeling different and better

So an arrogant Rhys who wants to be boss is a hipster?

Clementine is a hipster because she feels she's different and better than Sarah?

Being a hipster is not about the looks at all. It's about your views - how you view yourself and other people. It's about feeling different

• Well it's obviously that you either don't agree at all or don't see what I was trying to say so I don't really feel like trying to explain it all over again, so - they're not hipsters to you, good that.

Being a hipster is not about the looks at all. Really? Whether you fall into a subculture like this entirely depends on personali

• Good thing they're not in the actual game, who could've killed them if they were like the meat buddy or that guy Rhys was trying to smother.

KCohere posted: »

The bandits are pretty entertaining too.

• No debate will happen here, I'm done with the hipsters. :D I think it's time to rewatch gta5 tho since all that brought up the memories.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.