Telltale trying to force ships?

why are the only options for rhys is to be an asshole to sasha or flirt with her? i really like sasha but i'm a lesbian and being forced into that situation where i had to go out of my way to not flirt/be rude made me uncomfortable. anyone else feel like it was forced?

Comments

• It was totally forced and I hated it, the fact that it only allowed Sasha also upset me...But I don't even like Sasha so I had no problem being an ass.

• I went for the good ol "..."

Left her talking to herself and felt a bit bad but it had to be done.

• Yeah it was really forced. Did everything I could to avoid it. Wash your hair, Sasha, then we'll talk.

• edited June 2015

Ugh, I loved this episode so much and I love Telltale and what they create so much, but the displeasure I had when I found out Rhysha was pretty much the only way you could go with this episode made me disappointed in them. I hope they can fix something up about this next episode. Other then that I honestly thought this episode was practically perfect. I also never like to seem like a complainer but I felt this was just too much for me to bare.

• Was there even an option to be an asshole? Because i only noticed that you were forced to be romantic with her no matter what. Even the silent options still pushed you into acting romantic with her. Seriously unfortunate :/ But other then that, it was a good episode!

• It didn't bother me and I didn't think it felt forced, but then again, I walked into the new episode genuinely not caring if there was going to be any romance or not. I thought the scene was really cute, but I honestly would have felt the exact same way if it had been Fiona (or Vaughn) instead of Sasha (and probably would have ended the episode shipping whoever Telltale's option had been).

• You can choose the less romantic option like keeping the flower or saying stupid stuff like "This jungle looks..." "Jungley?"

Suzy222 posted: »

Was there even an option to be an asshole? Because i only noticed that you were forced to be romantic with her no matter what. Even the sile

• edited June 2015

Nvm

• Oh yeah, but those are still pretty disappointing "less romantic" options because they still give each other awkward lovey dovey stares lol.

You can choose the less romantic option like keeping the flower or saying stupid stuff like "This jungle looks..." "Jungley?"

• Sadly, they do.

Suzy222 posted: »

Oh yeah, but those are still pretty disappointing "less romantic" options because they still give each other awkward lovey dovey stares lol.

• It was really forced. It was kinda annoying try everything you can to not do it, but then having it happen anyway. I mean, if anything I was expecting Rhysha or no Rhysha, not Rhysha or Rhysha.

• Guys, please don't hate. I didn't see it as forced. I know my opinion may be seen as biased, but there are 3 more options to choose from. Nobody is forcing you to flirt, really.

• jup, couldnt enjoy the Rhys parts of this episode. like at all. getting your wisdom tooth removed without any anesthesia is more fun than playing his parts with sasha(at least for me). what I will never do again. But Fiona was awesome though.

• she's black, she has dreads why would she wash it?

Yeah it was really forced. Did everything I could to avoid it. Wash your hair, Sasha, then we'll talk.

• I think, even if you don't enjoy the Rhys/Sasha moments this episode, you could totally enjoy his adventures pure on how he responds to the enviroment around him and how he is totally adorable towards others and his flying Jellyfish friends :P

Kruzii posted: »

jup, couldnt enjoy the Rhys parts of this episode. like at all. getting your wisdom tooth removed without any anesthesia is more fun than playing his parts with sasha(at least for me). what I will never do again. But Fiona was awesome though.

• Well this is certainly an overeaction. :D

• there would literally be 3 flirt options and 1 not flirt or 2 flirt 1 asshole and 1 silence. and even the not flirting options still resulted in stares with romantic music playing in the background

armis37 posted: »

Guys, please don't hate. I didn't see it as forced. I know my opinion may be seen as biased, but there are 3 more options to choose from. Nobody is forcing you to flirt, really.

• What are you talking about?

rivaini posted: »

she's black, she has dreads why would she wash it?

• If you say so :) I stand by what I said nonetheless.

there would literally be 3 flirt options and 1 not flirt or 2 flirt 1 asshole and 1 silence. and even the not flirting options still resulted in stares with romantic music playing in the background

• me, a lesbian, being made uncomfortable from being forced into flirting/a hetero relationship, is overreacting? if telltale made 3/4 options for rhys to flirt with vaughn you know this forum would be over flowing with hate.

kaza125 posted: »

Well this is certainly an overeaction.

• ^ Going to side with armis. The setting and all would have left me googly eyed with anyone in the same setting, hadn't their eye been scooped out by Fiona, or anything else disturbing happening in their facial region. But I am a sucker for setting, I guess :P

armis37 posted: »

If you say so I stand by what I said nonetheless.

• well maybe, but I was really frustrated and annoyed. this was my exactly reaction to the parts:Alt text

Cyanistic posted: »

I think, even if you don't enjoy the Rhys/Sasha moments this episode, you could totally enjoy his adventures pure on how he responds to the enviroment around him and how he is totally adorable towards others and his flying Jellyfish friends :P

• But Rhys is, as far as the game tells us, a straight male. You getting to decide his choices doesn't involve you deciding his characteristics, right?
    Plus, Vaughn gets enough male attention from our friend Jack, the sly bastard :P

me, a lesbian, being made uncomfortable from being forced into flirting/a hetero relationship, is overreacting? if telltale made 3/4 options for rhys to flirt with vaughn you know this forum would be over flowing with hate.

• Everything would turn romantic in those gardens :)

^ Going to side with armis. The setting and all would have left me googly eyed with anyone in the same setting, hadn't their eye been scoope

• I'm gay too, but to be honest it didn't really bother me at all. /shrug

I'm so used to seeing hetero relationships play out in movies and tv... if anything, it's just "boring."

me, a lesbian, being made uncomfortable from being forced into flirting/a hetero relationship, is overreacting? if telltale made 3/4 options for rhys to flirt with vaughn you know this forum would be over flowing with hate.

• heterosexuality isn't the default. he says moxxi is a looker, yes, but he also shows attraction to zero and jack. that whole 'you're really cool' thing was definitely not straight lmao.

But Rhys is, as far as the game tells us, a straight male. You getting to decide his choices doesn't involve you deciding his characteristics, right? Plus, Vaughn gets enough male attention from our friend Jack, the sly bastard :P

• Wouldn't be the first time a bi male was in Borderlands. (Axton)

heterosexuality isn't the default. he says moxxi is a looker, yes, but he also shows attraction to zero and jack. that whole 'you're really cool' thing was definitely not straight lmao.

• Except most don't play as they would play Rhys, they play as they were playing as themselves, that's kinda the whole deal with the choices thing Telltale has going on :P

But Rhys is, as far as the game tells us, a straight male. You getting to decide his choices doesn't involve you deciding his characteristics, right? Plus, Vaughn gets enough male attention from our friend Jack, the sly bastard :P

• i'm used to it too. every not straight person is used to it. doesn't mean i have to like it. plus it pisses me off that it seems telltale added janey/athena so the could get their 'gay brownie points' out of the way and make a het ship a main one. it doesn't just bore me it aggravates me

cloaked1 posted: »

I'm gay too, but to be honest it didn't really bother me at all. /shrug I'm so used to seeing hetero relationships play out in movies and tv... if anything, it's just "boring."

• I think it would have been pretty difficult to program both Rhys and Fiona make options for them to 'like' any character in the group of their choosing, may it be a straight or gay choice. In my opinion, I think them choosing with Rhys/Sasha (And hopefully Fiona/Vaughn) feels the most natural.

And Rhys fascinating over every person he sees kicking ass doesn't seem to me as romantic interest, but more as him being stuck in a dead-end job all his life, watching his hero do his thing up close and actually aknowledging his existance for a change and a vault hunter slashing his way to victory, now seeing how his existance is nowhere as amazingtastic as he first lets you believe (Back up in Helios with him 'Making his way to the top' attitude)

heterosexuality isn't the default. he says moxxi is a looker, yes, but he also shows attraction to zero and jack. that whole 'you're really cool' thing was definitely not straight lmao.

• edited June 2015

you can make the protagonists act as you'd act yourself only up to a certain extent, you don't really get to decide Rhys/Fiona's personalities much, it's not a rpg, so while it sucks having to go trough those scenes, it is nothing different from other plot induced limitations

Green613 posted: »

Except most don't play as they would play Rhys, they play as they were playing as themselves, that's kinda the whole deal with the choices thing Telltale has going on :P

• the hell do you mean "default"? straight is just statistically more likely irl, that's all

and fangasms do not equate sexual attraction

• Choosing personalities is one thing, choosing who you trust, how your attitude is, and what your sexuality is, is a completely different ballgame :p

Aaira posted: »

you can make the protagonists act as you'd act yourself only up to a certain extent, you don't really get to decide Rhys/Fiona's personaliti

• Dude I think you need a new name. Just a random thing I thought I should point out. :P

Assquez posted: »

Nvm

• I didn't have any problems with the stuff they did with Rhys and Sasha. All they did was talk and bond over scary jellyfish things and it was really sweet. If that's how things keep going between them for the rest of the episodes, I'd totally be okay with that. Sometimes things are just nice when they're subtle ^_^

And forced? Are you kidding me? Come ooon all Rhys did was have the option to put a flower in her hair and stammer a bit. It's not like they went off to go pork while on guard duty or something after hanging out after a few hours. I mean who'd ever do something stupid as that? XD

• Wow.

I'm just going to be a bit blunt here.
    They didn't have to put a lesbian relationship in the game to get any kind of 'points'. It's awesome they did, but I couldn't care less if they didn't. Not because I don't like same sex relationships, cause again, it's your choice, and I respect that. It's more that we (all of us) shouldn't expect to be inclined to see anything that we want pure for out personal preferances. If the developers want to ship a straight sex relationship as one for a straight male protaganist, we should all respect that. We get to make the choices, and we will most likely get a choice, or have been given choices, to not continue on what decisions you can make. So if you don't like Rhys, or anyone you can play, to have a relationship with a person, I am sure Telltale will deny them that in your savefile.

But finding something aggravating purely because you have a different stance on how YOU would react in some situation, and that person who is actually in that situation not agreeing with your point of few, is just lame. :/

i'm used to it too. every not straight person is used to it. doesn't mean i have to like it. plus it pisses me off that it seems telltale ad

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited June 2015

I don't think they're trying to force the relationship on us or make it real. I think they're just playing it for laughs and using it as build-up for other jokes and punchlines down the road. I feel like a majority of those scenes just served as build-up to both the "Don't let go" joke and the scene where Jack takes control and pretty much ruins it for you (if you got that scene, at least. I dunno if that still happens if you trusted Fiona or not), both of which are scenes that wouldn't really pay off as well if they didn't have the sappy, somewhat over-the-top romance elements to them.

• It's not like they went off to go pork while on guard duty or something after hanging out after a few hours. I mean who'd ever do something stupid as that?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

Lilacsbloom posted: »

I didn't have any problems with the stuff they did with Rhys and Sasha. All they did was talk and bond over scary jellyfish things and it wa

• Okay... let me just say a few things. And don't pay attention to my avatar. I've been on both sides of this type of stuff now. If telltale makes Rhysha cannon, what's wrong with it? Maybe that was their plan all along? Think of the present scenes. Rhys and Fiona are mad at each other. Maybe Rhys and Sasha being together makes this happen, or maybe Jack controls Rhys and does more bad things to Sasha? I understand you guys dont want to have to have Rhys in a relationship with Sasha, but come on. The game might need it to contribute to the plot.

• But its a game about choices.

bigdogg0821 posted: »

Okay... let me just say a few things. And don't pay attention to my avatar. I've been on both sides of this type of stuff now. If telltale m

This discussion has been closed.