EP4 SPOILERS = The Stranger's Identity? (UPDATED)

Comments

• edited June 2015

This would be nice. I'll add this to TV Tropes.

Credit shall be given to you.

• Don't you think it's little bit fishy we never actually saw Moxxi in episode 1, just heard her voice? Doesn't make sense don't showing at least her image, if she is not to appear in Tales. It's like they are saving her appearance for later on, which kind of overlaps with stranger and his yet unknown identity. Just two episode left to introduce Moxxi. And explain her involvement in episode 1.

My point is: I think we would already saw Moxxi, if she isn't important for plot. If she is important, then she has to be stranger, not much room elsewhere.

Mercyva posted: »

moxxi is the tyype of character to pay someone off to do her dirty job for her.. i doubt she would drag rhys around the desert and listen to fiona and rhys bickering.. she'd rather offer someone something instead of her actually doing the work lol

• Was that reeeally just a coincidence that they found the gortys upgrade(present days) when they were telling the story of finding it in the past? And Rhys acted so damn weird, what's up with that? The whole thing seems so fishy. Gaahh I want to know who that stranger is and what he wants...

• august? but my only issue is why should we care about him? personally i think that his role will play in the next chapter that if you are nice to him, he may free you. thats why i think in EP2 you get the option to give august hope that he and sasha can work things out, OR he has no chance.. personally i gave him chance because i know we need him later. i think august will help us based on how we treated him!

I don't think it could be Vaughn or Felix (without inciting some plot holes). For one thing, half the players killed Felix, for another, he

• YES!! i was like wtf.. that was convenient hahaha.... i remember rhys saying to the stranger that ''Gortys'' is bad business! why? i think they failed, and the stranger is giving them another chance at it... that was so weird when they found the piece right after the story! man... i wish we got more of the present scenes!

SoMuchSass posted: »

Was that reeeally just a coincidence that they found the gortys upgrade(present days) when they were telling the story of finding it in the

• Alt text

Aptonoth posted: »

For the ultimate record I think its a new person. There's simply no data to suggest anyone we know. Nothing solid or concrete. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees

• fiona stated for a fact that the stranger will not kill them, and he obviously know them. the ONLY part he mentioned that made me sure is him asking about the dome.... he genuinely seem clueless in the beginning, but he seem to know about the dome specifically! i think he/she was with them in that part.

VikingGames posted: »

It has to be Vaughn or someone that Rhys or Fiona meets because how would the Stranger know Rhys and Fiona knew anything about the vault or

• Felix is dead in my playthrough. again athena is just a theory. i played TPS i know what happens, but the stranger seemed clueless about the beginning of the story, the ONLY plart he knows is the dome. and athena joined them specifically in that part of the story. its just a guess. again keep in mind that those were ''flashbacks'' and the present scenes wiith the stranger seem far in the future considering how advanced rhys and fiona looks. so with that in mind, i stated that maybe 50% or 40% it may be athena. but nothing sure... it could be someone totally new.. but the dome part made me think that the stranger is someone who personally know fiona and rhys. and the stranger seem to like fiona more... so...

HoudiniBg posted: »

It can't be Athena. She is taken into custody with Lilith and if you played Borderlands - THe Pre Sequel you will know what happens to her.

• ii like the idea! but his design is not someone i would consider a vault hunter.. he looks like a bandit... just like bossanova or BL2 boom and bewm or something LOL! but fiona said that you have your mask to hide your identity? so fiona noticed that he is wearing a mask and that he is not what he looks like. he's just hiding himself!

Shoogli posted: »

Another thing to consider is "maybe" we'll never know his identity and thus he might not be a character we have previously encountered. He m

• Yeah, how did that piece make it there? In the middle of nowhere, why? Did Gortys fell apart somehow or blew up? xD It annoys me so much I want to know what happened.

YES!! i was like wtf.. that was convenient hahaha.... i remember rhys saying to the stranger that ''Gortys'' is bad business! why? i think t

• this makes sense.. but would you think that it would be meh kind of reveal? i wanted the stranger to be a vaulthunter, someone that will have the shock element when its finally revealed! one of those moment '' i didnt see that coming!'' while august seem like candidate, would you think that it would be meh? personally i dont care about august that much xD though i've been KINDA nice to him lol- because i might need him later on to free us from vallory n' stuff!

• i mean... you're kinda right lol. love marcus tho!

HoudiniBg posted: »

You know Marcus is like 3 times bigger than the masked man ?

• Alt text

Oh so YOU were trolling me XD !

• also dont forget the cliffhanger when they found something else and it cuts and never continued? yeah .. my heart will not forget that.. when it ended i was like WHAAAAT NOOOOO there is something left for me to see xD

Alt text

Yeah, how did that piece make it there? In the middle of nowhere, why? Did Gortys fell apart somehow or blew up? xD It annoys me so much I want to know what happened.

• Not sure I know what you mean :D

also dont forget the cliffhanger when they found something else and it cuts and never continued? yeah .. my heart will not forget that.. when it ended i was like WHAAAAT NOOOOO there is something left for me to see xD

• edited June 2015

I was going to update my post. But I cant, so I'm going to put it here. 6. August is the right size and billed and match's the stranger's.

• Well I'm completely biased because he's my favourite character - but I'd personally love to see Telltale's take on him/how he would interact with the new characters (him and Rhys have a lot in common).

But more than anything I just want Tales to establish that he's alive and out there somewhere because I'm sick of people assuming he's the double we killed in BL2! It would also help establish him for some sort of role in BL3 (no matter how small).

dont you think that seeing one jack is enough? lol ... i love playing as timothy! but i cant see him fitting with the tales cast.. i love playing as him but in tales? idk...

• I think it'd be pretty cool if it was Timothy thinking about it. After opening the vault on Elpis and realising his boss was a physcopath maybe he set out to be his own person and decided to wear the mask because the surgery he went through he couldn't change back. Perhaps we don't see in BL2 because he was trying to find the vault of the traveller but couldn't as it teleports around but didn't know that until he found Rhys and Fiona.

Well I'm completely biased because he's my favourite character - but I'd personally love to see Telltale's take on him/how he would interact

• I love everything about this!

I think it'd be pretty cool if it was Timothy thinking about it. After opening the vault on Elpis and realising his boss was a physcopath ma

• when they found the gortys part, then you skip to flashback, but there is ALSO another scene later with the stranger, you see him/fiona/rhys looking surprised or rather shocked! then it cuts back. and then we go to flashback and the game ends there... its a brief thing xD but i was curious on what they saw!

Not sure I know what you mean

• edited June 2015

but dont you think that timothy has different attitude than the stranger? i dont see him as the patient type. i think the whole thing about him being killed or not is up to the writers. anthony burch stated multiple time that the whatever happens in the game is cannon. the fact that they never really touched upon timothy being dead or not is up to the new writers.... also seeing TPS interviews they take about timothy as * the character we created * and not that he existed. i can be wrong tho! but i dont think timothy is dead unless there is proof in game, if not? its up to the new writers to decide :p

Well I'm completely biased because he's my favourite character - but I'd personally love to see Telltale's take on him/how he would interact

• Thanks!

I love everything about this!

• Aaaah ok :D I'm going to check that, because I still don't remember xD

when they found the gortys part, then you skip to flashback, but there is ALSO another scene later with the stranger, you see him/fiona/rhys

• edited June 2015

Yeah, but that's precisely why I think Tales should give the new writer/s a subtle nudge in the right direction.

Anthony was very much aware (and surprised) about everyone's love of Timothy, and similarly Telltale is known for listening to fan's input - whereas the new writer owes nobody anything and may not be aware of fan favourites etc.

If Telltale were to include at least a reference to Timothy it would put him back in the foreground of the lore and mean that the new writer may be more inclined (but obviously not forced) to include him in BL3. As it stands now the new writer could just decide that he was killed offscreen sometime after TPS due to his absence in BL2, but if Tales directly contradicts that they wouldn't be able to brush him off quite so easily.

Also, it's really difficult to judge Timothy's TPS personality against The Strangers because obviously a lot has happened since we last saw him - I personally think he'd be patient enough (especially if he's been waiting this long to usurp Jack and become the hero he never was)!

but dont you think that timothy has different attitude than the stranger? i dont see him as the patient type. i think the whole thing about

• edited June 2015

personally i love timothy. trust me any writer would study or search the lore on BL before writing it.. its a team of people, even if he did something wrong, many will correct him! especially with franchises that already established many characters and lore. it would be so un-professional if the new writers just wrote stuff without knowing anything about the game.. i doubt it. i can say the same with athena.. she was a DLC character for BL1. but the developers liked her enough to make her a playable character and have this major role even in TPS... anyhow, i think fans can say what they like, but i think i trust gearbox in handling stuff like that. as far as TFTBL i think fiona and rhys established the fact that the stranger know them and that THEY ALSO know him/her.... BUT we as the players dont know if we actually do. it could be a new character we dont know, it could be a character that rhys and fiona knew but we actually dont because they met in a different scenario or off-screen thing.... OR it could be a character we actually know. such as timothy/athena/august/vaughn etc... i just realized that it doesnt matter if fiona or rhys know the stranger, because even if they do, we might actually not :p

Yeah, but that's precisely why I think Tales should give the new writer/s a subtle nudge in the right direction. Anthony was very much aw

• If you are nice to him, he will help. If not, he will get killed or seriously wounded and it will be sad.

august? but my only issue is why should we care about him? personally i think that his role will play in the next chapter that if you are ni

• yes! you can see how their relationship transfer, in flashbacks they show us how they met, and i think in EP2/EP3 how they became even friends based on your choices, and then they show us the present stuff where you see that fiona and rhys are actually different people it seems, they seem like they've been through shit. also apart from they wearing expensive stuff, they look advanced. maybe it went well for rhys? maybe fiona didnt get anything from the deal... also jack mention to rhys that ''you have to trust enemies if you want to win in life, trusting your friends will make you lose'' along that lines... maybe there is a point in the future where rhys will have to make a choice, trusting his enemy ti win and maybe rule hyperian, or trust his friends and lose/ become nothing? ... fiona seems very pissed at him. :/

E-knight posted: »

Well for me I have a theory that ryse really messed up , this is due to the dialogue in the beginning of episode 1 ." Fiona come on lets tal

• edited June 2015

is it bad to say i dont care about him? lol... i think he served his purpose and now we experience the backlash of all that happened because of the deal... but i dont think i will cry if he died. its sad because i know he is not as bad as we thought, but it will be much heartbreaking if the gang (rhys/fiona/sasha/athena/vaughn/gortys/loader) whewww... got hurt. ya know?:)

LawmanZero posted: »

If you are nice to him, he will help. If not, he will get killed or seriously wounded and it will be sad.

• edited June 2015

For my money, it's Vasquez. My points are these:

Firstly, nothing to do with the story, but he's voiced by Patrick Warburton, who is by FAR the biggest star of anyone in the game. He wouldn't have signed on episode by episode, he would have been brought in, done all his lines for all the eps, and left. And they aren't going to leave him out of any chapters, especially since he's probably costing the most.

Now, more to the game rationale: He was shot in the chest, so he's pretty dead to this point, sure - but I don't think he'll stay dead long. Have a look at the stranger - His whole costume is made of bandit parts, which implies that his whole mask and vocal processor were constructed ON Pandora; yet he wields a Hyperion weapon (A very good one).

We know that Vasquez has had at least 2 high-quality Hyperion weapons (The Overcompensator, and the Purple Pistol he has in the Gortys building) so there's a good chance he had at least one more in his car.

Now, why would anyone with that kind of weaponry wear ratty clothes made for bandits? Well, it's probably because he doesn't have a choice! Rhys, on the other hand, is dressed like a big shot... Enough, say, to be head of Hyperion? Here's my theory:

Vaughn escapes from Vallory, and flees back to the Gortys facility (The reasons why, are unclear, but let's assume he has them). He finds the technology to bring back Vasquez through robotics, ala Commandant Steele (Who was inexplicably in Shade's museum for some reason - Maybe foreshadowing? They could have picked literally ANYONE else to go there) This would also explain why Vaughn was constantly poking at Vasquez with a stick, like a curious child... And given that he had to break down Gortys for information, he's clearly familiar with, and can manipulate, Atlas robotic tech.

By the time he's alive/recovered enough to have his revenge, Rhys is already on Helios with Jack, taking over stuff, and blacklisting Vasquez just for shits and giggles, because the guy is a) dead, and b) an asshole. So all he's got are the weapons he came with, stuck on Pandora. Not to mention, initially, he's waiting in Prosperity Juncion, which is where Vasquez was supposed to meet August to begin with, hence it's probably the only settlement on Pandora he's familiar with (At least, familiar with enough to crash there for a while). He can't go back, so he's waiting in the only settlement he knows.

• Nah, it's not bad.

He's kind of douchey in Episode 3, anyway.

is it bad to say i dont care about him? lol... i think he served his purpose and now we experience the backlash of all that happened because

• edited June 2015

I agree. Vaughn is very suspicious. How would Vasquez know that Gortis thingy would shock August unless someone told him about it? And every time after Vaughn remains alone, someone finds them - Vasquez, Valory, etc. I'm pretty sure he contacted Valory when he remained alone with the Atlas scientist in episode 3.

By the way, this guy from 0:30 in episode 4 preview looks like Vaughn in Vasquez's outfit:

Pause at 0:42 and you'll see clearly that it's Vaughn. Same hairstyle, same goatee, hunch... something is off with the rest of the beard too. You can see that he has Vaughn's goatee and sideburns, but the rest of the beard looks more painted than real. It's either Vaughn or telltale is being lazy and is reusing models again.

In saying that, though - Finch also has a legendary weapon (an Unkempt Harold) - so in the Tales universe people other than Vault Hunters ob

• I'm pretty sure he knew about Gortys core shocking people other than Fiona and Rhys because both he and Sasha try to pick it up at the beginning of ep 2, he then sees Fiona pick it up with no effect.

I also think that the person in the next time promo is (as you said) just another case of TT reusing models, because you actually see the same character (or very similar) in the first episode:

Alt text

I agree. Vaughn is very suspicious. How would Vasquez know that Gortis thingy would shock August unless someone told him about it? And every

• Ah, you're right. They are reusing models again. Shame on you telltale.

Anyway, I've been suspecting Vaughn since episode 2, but episode 3 really turned that dial up. Can't wait for episode 4.

I'm pretty sure he knew about Gortys core shocking people other than Fiona and Rhys because both he and Sasha try to pick it up at the begin

• edited June 2015

you know what would be crazy? we all know that neither fiona nor rhys are reliable in giving the complete truth. what if vasquez never died? what if they made that up? i can see that being the biggest WWTTFF moment lol... just something to think about

Nikolizzle posted: »

For my money, it's Vasquez. My points are these: Firstly, nothing to do with the story, but he's voiced by Patrick Warburton, who is by F

• i wish i had the option to slap him just how we got to do that with poor shade xD

LawmanZero posted: »

Nah, it's not bad. He's kind of douchey in Episode 3, anyway.

• but why? it would be the ultimate betrayl if he actually did. like i would love for telltale to give us the satisfaction of killing him just like with felix.. i treated vaughn nicely, so i hope he's worth it

Ah, you're right. They are reusing models again. Shame on you telltale. Anyway, I've been suspecting Vaughn since episode 2, but episode 3 really turned that dial up. Can't wait for episode 4.

• It seems far fetched for it to be 0ne. it would be way out there.. i prefer it to be one of the poeple we know. it will add a shock value and not being completely clueless on who 0ne is xD ..also all the stuff with fiona makes it unlikely

There is something quite misleading in the WIKI about that : "One". The wiki spells it with a number like this "0ne", but in game (I frapsed

• I have a feeling, depending on our choices, it changes who the stranger is :V

• I just... Cannot see Vaughn acting that way. Besides, unless The Stranger is acting ignorant to the Rhys and Fiona's story... It ain't Vaughn. Because Vaughn would know like 90% of what happened...

right??? but i dont think its him xD unless there is a huge timeskip between those flashbacks and the present, where vaughn grew taller and fuller... but it would be a huge WTF moment... lol

• Side note, those people who killed Felix, feelin kinda bad about it yet?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.