There is no Season 2, is there?

What I mean is, despite TFTB arguably being TT's second best game ever made (after TWD S1) it looks like Tales will most likely be a one time project.

Game of Thrones will definitely have a Season 2 because its a big name franchise (and the multi-title agreement between TT and HBO) but why do I have a feeling Tales will end up becoming another Wolf Among Us - amazing and critically acclaimed but left as a one-shot? I mean now that the penultimate episode's been released, looks like there's only one more episode left until Tales is forever concluded or indefinitely shelved, like TWAU.

We'll soon have Game of Thrones Season 2, TWD: Michonne and Minecraft: Story Mode (and at some unspecified point a 'Supershow' - and a Marvel comics game in 2017) so there obviously won't be any room for TT to work on another Borderlands game. Then again maybe there's a slight narrow possibility of a DLC like what they've done twice with TWD but then TWAU never got a DLC either.

What do you guys think, is Tales forever finished after Episode 5? Is Tales better off as a self-contained story with no need of a continuation?

Comments

• it would make less money then minecraft, marvel or another got/twd seasone so probably not going to happened, borderlands fanbase is extreamly small compared to those. telltale did it just because they wanted to. so it probably is a one time thing

• I think that there won't be a season 2 until Borderlands 3 comes out. After that, I think Telltale will be able to make one.

• At least, unlike TT's other games, Tales actually matters in the Borderlands' universe and therefore the story will be continued in BL3. I know it's not the same, but:

enter image description here

The only thing is BL3 is a looong time coming, arguably longer than most people think. A second season of Tales would have filled that gap perfectly but I just think TT has too much on their plate. Gearbox are totally onboard for a second, but if TT doesn't have the manpower there's not much they can do.

• edited August 2015

I don't think we'll get a conclusion to the present Rhys & Fiona in the next episode, so i think it'll lead into Borderlands 3 or set-up Borderlands season 2. I thought we'd be at the "present" by the end of Episode 4!

But i'd love a second series. After the first two episodes i wanted it to be this self contained series as i didn't want them to ruin it, but the standard has just been so high throughout if the same team can get together for season 2 i'd love it!

• I feel like there's so much that isn't going to fit in the last EP for some reason. Of course I'd love a second season but I'm not sure if they got the time for it. To be honest I'd prefer if they'd drop the MC game and make TFTB instead but ya can't have everything I guess. :c

• Would BL3 really continue where Tales left off? Not all Borderland fans have played Tales, would Telltale's take on the franchise really be included in the main version - like would Rhys (Handsome Rhys) become the main antagonist of BL3 (we all know what Jack does in Episode 4 regardless one way or the other regardless of what the player chooses)?

I mean that would be cool - but I have a feeling that despite the heights you can reach in Tales, it won't have any impact on BL3 - except maybe a certain someone's death in Ep.4 that may be carried over but otherwise its a bit of a leap of faith to think Gearbox commissioned Tales to be a sort of Prelude to BL3.

• Not a Season 2, but a definite continuation in Borderlands 3. I doubt Rhys and Fiona will be directly playable or anything, but their story in TFTBL will impact the story hugely, so I'd say there's a 99% chance of their characters being referenced/talked about.

• Same here I doubt there will be S2 but maybe, maybe they will leave open ending or go AU with the story so we might see something in future after BL3

• BL3 should be Season 2, at least i hope so.

• As much as we'd all love a Season 2 I don't think it's gonna happen (atleast not with the same characters). I think Tales is gonna be the last we see of Pandora as Tales has introduced some game-changing events and like said before other Borderlands fans who haven't played Tales will be slightly confused. I think Borderlands 3 could happen on another planet as at the end of Borderlands 2 there is shown to be multiple vaults all over the Galaxy meaning we could get a game on another planet slightly crazier than Pandora, but I don't know all we can do is speculate.

• Gearbox themselves have said on multiple occasions that Tales will lead to and affect the future main games (AKA BL3), and will be 100% canon.

Members of Gearbox's creative team have also been onboard since day one overseeing the overall arc to make sure that it fits in with what they have in mind for the game's future direction.

Harian96 posted: »

Would BL3 really continue where Tales left off? Not all Borderland fans have played Tales, would Telltale's take on the franchise really be

• I've never heard of it myself before, but that's pretty awesome.

Gearbox themselves have said on multiple occasions that Tales will lead to and affect the future main games (AKA BL3), and will be 100% cano

• If the wait for BL3 is long, then they could add onto the story with a Season 2 before the game releases. I'm getting the feeling that TFTB is an origin story for both Fiona and Rhys and that they'll play a huge part in BL3.

At least, unlike TT's other games, Tales actually matters in the Borderlands' universe and therefore the story will be continued in BL3. I k

• Agreed.

SCR4P-TP posted: »

I feel like there's so much that isn't going to fit in the last EP for some reason. Of course I'd love a second season but I'm not sure if t

• Not getting to the present would really suck.

Jake360 posted: »

I don't think we'll get a conclusion to the present Rhys & Fiona in the next episode, so i think it'll lead into Borderlands 3 or set-up

• Maybe there will be season 2. But it'd take a lot time since BL3 has to probably be released first.

• At the most, we'll have an animated web show like those shorts Gearbox makes as preludes for some of their DLCs.

• edited August 2015

I mean, Borderlands 3 is still pretty far away. A season 2 could fill in that waiting gap for most people. I'm going to give it all my hopes for it to happen.

Pls, Telltale.

• I really hope this is the case. I don't think we can expect BL3 until at least 2018, so it'd be cool if TT were able to fill the void with more Pandoran adventures.

If the wait for BL3 is long, then they could add onto the story with a Season 2 before the game releases. I'm getting the feeling that TFTB is an origin story for both Fiona and Rhys and that they'll play a huge part in BL3.

• Yes! Yes! Exactly!

I really hope this is the case. I don't think we can expect BL3 until at least 2018, so it'd be cool if TT were able to fill the void with more Pandoran adventures.

• 2018??????????????

WHAT

I really hope this is the case. I don't think we can expect BL3 until at least 2018, so it'd be cool if TT were able to fill the void with more Pandoran adventures.

• It's funny, on the one hand, I'd love Telltale to make a 2nd season, but if they did do it, I think it would be best just doing it with 2 new characters, a new plot, basically a 2nd season in an anthology sense, sortof like how True Detective's 1st and 2nd seasons aren't really connected. As much as I love Rhys, Fiona and the rest, and as much as I'd love for them to cameo on other Borderlands games, I think letting the first season's resolution would be fine by me. And hell, it would be fitting in with Borderlands, considering every main title rotates the Vault Hunters around.

• I doubt it, unfortunately, but I really hope there will be one once Telltale is less understaffed.

• Well looks like we're never seeing Scooter again. :'( R.I.P. Scoots.

Gearbox themselves have said on multiple occasions that Tales will lead to and affect the future main games (AKA BL3), and will be 100% cano

• I think Ep. 5 will end up rounding up the plot/current characters nicely, but I do love the idea of different cast each season. Fiona, Rhys and the gang ended up being incredible, I can't wait to see what characters the writers would think up next. Maybe even a shorter, more character centric season on an established character - like the upcoming TWD Michonne - could be a compromise? It might be harder picking a protagonist, though.

The great thing about the Borderlands franchise at the moment is there aren't many holes missing in the plot. BL1, TPS, BL2, TftB all fill the gaps pretty well. We know what the BL1/BL2 VH have been up to, alongside Athena/Aurelia/Claptrap from TPS. I think Torgue or Tiny Tina might be a bit exhausting to center on character-wise, but Tannis could be interesting, if not extremely eccentric. You could have the Miscellaneous Adventures of How Everyone Really Hates Claptrap. Helena Pierce would have been great, but she's... ahem. Dr. Ned or Nurse Nina would be terrifying. (No Pickle, though, hell no.) Timothy (non-TPS players are probably going move on, dude, it's over!) could have a lot of potential, too, as he's the only VH that is unaccounted for at present. It could be a TftB season with Timothy doing a bit of a Fistful of Dollars thing on Pandora or Elpis. Or just drowning his sorrows on Helios, god knows.

On the bright side, at least Telltale and Gearbox have been really positive about TftB, so if there's an opportunity to make something work, I'm sure they'll take it. It just might be 2017 onwards!

• Walking Dead, Sam and Max, Poker Night, and CSI are the only ones who got sequels, so, statistically, i guess it's improbable

• If there is I imagine it will take place after Borderlands 3.

I would like them to take their time as well, and come up with something original and worth playing.

For instance, an analogy; this is why something like Futurama is still fresh and amazing, while the Simpsons is terrible and milked.

• I would absolutely LOVE a TFTB season 2. However, at the moment, I think Telltale has a bit too much on their plate for it. But once they finish up all their planned projects, I would love them to take on another game set in the Borderlands universe.

• I know. :(

They have to build a completely new engine for nextgen which takes a lot of time. There were 3 years between BL1 and BL2 and that didn't need even remotely as much work as this would because it used the same engine.

2018?????????????? WHAT

• move on, dude, it's over!

#SaveTimothy

blue_pen posted: »

I think Ep. 5 will end up rounding up the plot/current characters nicely, but I do love the idea of different cast each season. Fiona, Rhys

• I agree. It would be for the best if TT took a break from the borderlands (max 2 years!) And then came back with fresh and new ideas for S2.....ANd Bring the team back together!

ponds75 posted: »

I would absolutely LOVE a TFTB season 2. However, at the moment, I think Telltale has a bit too much on their plate for it. But once they finish up all their planned projects, I would love them to take on another game set in the Borderlands universe.

• They have to build a completely new engine for nextgen which takes a lot of time.

Didn't they already do that for when they upgraded the previous Borderlands games to PS4 and Xbox 1?

I know. They have to build a completely new engine for nextgen which takes a lot of time. There were 3 years between BL1 and BL2 and that didn't need even remotely as much work as this would because it used the same engine.

• There aren't enough likes in the world for this comment! Like-like-like-like-like.

Poor Tim lives on in our hearts. I'm not crying, it's just raining.

move on, dude, it's over! #SaveTimothy

• Unfortunately that was just a direct port (that Gearbox themselves didn't even do - it was given to a 3rd party).

For BL3 they have to start from scratch.

They have to build a completely new engine for nextgen which takes a lot of time. Didn't they already do that for when they upgraded the previous Borderlands games to PS4 and Xbox 1?

• :(

How much of the process do you think it'll take? Maybe they started doing it before the announcement?

Unfortunately that was just a direct port (that Gearbox themselves didn't even do - it was given to a 3rd party). For BL3 they have to start from scratch.

• Oh man, the Simpsons were golden for most of the 90's, then plots became absurd, some of the main characters turned shitty by their development (Lisa uppermost), and developers kept changing the backstory of the family so much that now you can't tell what really happened in the past. Anyway you're right, Tales is their best product as of now, they have to keep the standards high.

bocajbee posted: »

If there is I imagine it will take place after Borderlands 3. I would like them to take their time as well, and come up with something or

• Possibly. Or maybe they'd have another season in the intervening time? Depends on where they leave the story, and how far off BL3 is (I swear I heard 2017/18 somewhere.....).

MarijaaNo7 posted: »

Maybe there will be season 2. But it'd take a lot time since BL3 has to probably be released first.

• I doubt Borderlands will ever really LEAVE Pandora. Maybe a game here or there will be set somewhere else, but I feel like they'll always come home in the end. ;)

As much as we'd all love a Season 2 I don't think it's gonna happen (atleast not with the same characters). I think Tales is gonna be the la

• edited August 2015

Yeah.

They can keep Either Fiona and/or Rhys, but bring some other Classic Borderlands characters back like Tiny Tina and Claptrap.

I think there are a lot more stories to be told for these two in this universe. Another Season at least.

Oh man, the Simpsons were golden for most of the 90's, then plots became absurd, some of the main characters turned shitty by their developm

• I think that August will get his own DLC.
    At the end of the series, August will stay on Pandora, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets own DLC about his future or else his past. I'd like if he was a main character in Borderlands 3, also. :)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.