Game soundtracks!

edited February 2007 in General Chat
We all love 'em, but I'm interested in what some of your favorites are? (in any genre)

For me, my favorites have to be, in no particular order:

1. Blood
2. Shivers 2
3. Rise Of The Triad
4. The Neverhood Chronicles
5. Xerix (If somebody has the opening theme from that game, I'd love to hear it again)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    It may not be my favourite but i absoluted loved the music that played on the start menu of Baldurs Gate 2...oooh and Icewind Dale!!!

most soundtracks of the golden oldies...toejam and earl, cannon fodder etc...all great
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Kingdom Hearts was my first love. It's all about Nobuo Uematsu. Final Fantasy all the way!
  • edited February 2007
    Shenmue 1&2 (dreamcast/xbox) 1 2 3
    The Neverhood (PC) 1 2 3
    Grim Fandango (PC) 1 2 3
    Banjo Kazooie/Banjo Tooie (N64) 1 2 3
    Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64/xbox) 1 2 3 4
    Earthworm Jim 1&2 (CD version is great) 1 2 3 4
    Curse of Monkey Island (PC) 1 2 3 (and 4 from Escape from monkey island)

But there is also some great tracks from many games, like... see... Uniracer (SNES), Donkey Kong Country (SNES), Killer Instinct (2 3) (SNES), Jurassic Park (SNES), Earthbound (SNES), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Super Mario World (SNES), Super Mario Kart (SNES), Kirby Superstar (SNES), Mario Paint (SNES), Soleil (Megadrive/Genesis), Megaman 2 (NES), Global Gladiators (Megadrive/Genesis), California Games (Megadrive/Genesis), Sonic Advance 2 (GBA), Billy Hatcher (NGC), Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast), Nights (Saturn), or the famous Daytona USA (2) (Saturn) ^^

[edit] I updated this post to add songs to each game, I hope it will bring nostalgy to some of you, I tried to put soundtracks sometimes forgotten (no final fantasy, neither seiken densetsu nor recent Nintendo/Sega games) Have fun ^^ if you get a Q with an interrogation point, just hit refresh and it works ;) some of them are m4a, you need a recent version of quicktime to read all of these.

That's all folks ^^
  • edited February 2007
    Grim Fandango and all Monkey Island games, naturally... also, Full Throttle! That game's soundtrack perfectly fit the game. I also have a soft spot for the soundtrack to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and the stuff that Koji Kondo does is always great as well.
  • edited February 2007
    Hmmm, I personally have:

FF7
    Chrono Trigger
    All 6 Mysts.
    Sam & Max (duh)

in terms of game soundtracks. But there's a lot of other stuff that I've extracted from game data files. This includes:

Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile (AMAZING game, although I'm horrible at it)
    Age of Empires
    Age of Kings
    Age of Mythology
    Pharaoh
    Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer (also a very fun game)
    Morrowind
    Oblivion

Obviously there's more I could have (probably most of the ones already listed are good), but I generally don't collect music of games I don't own.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2007
    I'll add Faust: Seven Games of the Soul. It has great Blues songs by some of the greats (Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, John Lee Hooker, Stan Getz, etc.)

I'm not sure where to get it though.
  • edited February 2007
    Nice to see Neverhood getting some props. I forgot how awesome that soundtrack is.
  • edited February 2007
    You can find the whole soundtrack here : suppressed link to my FTP, don't know if it's legal ;)
    Enjoy ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Yohmi wrote: »
    You can find the whole soundtrack here : Removed link to correspond with Yohmi's edit
    Enjoy ;)

Is that... Legal?
  • edited February 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Is that... Legal?

I don't know, in France you're not even able to rip your own CD on your computer so if everything's illegal, everything become legal ;) in fact, this kind of soundtrack is not listed on any selling site, even iTunes Music Store. But I can suppress the link if someone think it's not moral ;)
    You surely know http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/ you'll find many soundtracks for free there. I don't know how it's managed, but it's a very popular site and never has any problem (except indiana jones soundtrack because of licence). I believe musicians are more interested in a little few people discovering these soundtracks than just three lost people buying this because they thought it was something else :P but you're maybe right ;)
  • edited February 2007

Glad you like my site ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Glad you like my site ;)

Just for Curse of Monkey Island and Grim fandango's soundtracks, you deserve my deeper thanks, from the bottom of my heart :)

So you can maybe answer to the big question... is it legal ? ^^
  • edited February 2007
    Ouch, I see that little correspondence between Yohmi and I got deleted, sorry if I broke the rules, I wasn't really thinking there :)
  • edited February 2007
    is it legal ? ^^

At least it seems as if LucasArts doesn't mind. LucasArts' legal department contacted me a while ago, just asking me to take down the Indy and Star Wars soundtracks. Just to be sure I asked if it would be wise to continue the site with all the other soundtracks on it, or if I should shut it down completely. But they told me to keep it up and running, so I assume I'm pretty much on the safe side.
  • edited February 2007
    The Neverhood soundtrack, "Imaginarium," was still in print and sold up until maybe a couple years ago. It's pretty rare now, but it looks like http://www.danielamos.com/store/ still has it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.