The Cost of Loyalty: An Interactive Story! (Ongoing)

Comments

• Ha! I love that you got Bigby vibes and I can actually see the unintentional comparison. Except people give Bigby shit because he used to eat people and people give Gregor shit because he's young and inexperienced.

I noticed it straight away! (It made me feel a bit nostalgic for The Wolf Among Us, actually)

That's why I edited my comment, because I didn't actually mention it at first, but yeah, it was cool!

You hate Marcos? Why? :p

I don't like the way he's treating my boy, Gregor. It doesn't even feel like tough love. But maybe I'll come round.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Ha! I love that you got Bigby vibes and I can actually see the unintentional comparison. Except people give Bigby shit because he used to eat people and people give Gregor shit because he's young and inexperienced. You hate Marcos? Why?

• Marcos was especially hard on Gregor this part because Gregor chose to wait, if he didn't Marcos would still be a dick but he wouldn't be holding a grudge against Gregor.

DillonDex posted: »

Ha! I love that you got Bigby vibes and I can actually see the unintentional comparison. Except people give Bigby shit because he used to ea

• The Voting is closed!
    Gregor will say "Tell me about Kevan"

I am very excited for future parts involving House Warrick. A lot of exciting parts are coming that involve them. The next part will be a Malcolm part and will involve Jacob's trial. This part will feature the introductions of Jacob Branfield & Tom Wolfson. I won't spoil anything but I will say that it's possible to lose this trial based on who you picked to be Jacob's champion. Best hope that you picked the right one. :p

• edited January 2017

Hey, guys! So I'm about to post the next part, yay! The thing is that when I do that the format will be all wrong, but it'll only take me a couple minutes to fix it. Chances are though that it'll be fixed before you see it, but I felt that I should give a heads up.

EDIT: Having some difficulties, need more time sorry.

• edited January 2017

Malcolm
    Davith had just returned from speaking with Jacob and they were now waiting for the trial to begin. Dusty was confident that he'd win, but Samuel was visibly uneasy. "It'll be fine Samuel, I can handle this." Dusty attempted to reassure him, but Samuel didn't respond.

Samuel turned to Davith "Davith, you know Wolfson. What should we expect?" Davith sighed "It's hard to say, Tom's a good fighter, but there's a lot of tough men and women serving him, he's just as likely to name a champion."

Samuel looked at Davith suspiciously "You keep on calling him Tom. You two friends or something?" Davith sighed "Look, it's complicated." Samuel shook his head "No it's not, you're either friends with the son of a bitch who's putting my brother's life in danger or your not."

Malcolm stepped in "Easy Samuel... Davith's on our side" Malcolm did share Samuel's current suspicion of Davith, but he is helping them, that counts for something. Samuel sighed "Yeah... sorry for losing my head there, I'm just worried about Jacob and what'll happen if Dustin loses." Davith gave an understanding nod "I understand, don't worry about it."

Dusty crossed his arms and seemed annoyed "You know to actually lose I'd have to die right?" Davith looked to Dusty "Well that's not technically true, you could always yield."
    Dusty smirked "Ha, good one." Dusty didn't seem the type to yield.

"Guys, look." Samuel gestured over to a chair that was probably supposed to be a throne if Wolfson thought of himself as a king. A man with dark short hair, light blue eyes and stubble sat on the chair, the men and women around looked to him with respect.
    "You think that's him?" Malcolm asked and Samuel nodded "Unless he's just keeping the seat warm for him, then yeah, I'd say it's him."
    "It's him." Davith confirmed and Samuel shrugged "he doesn't look like much." Davith shook his head "Don't underestimate him, Tom's like a demon in a real fight." That doesn't bode well for Jacob and Samuel was visibly concerned.
    Dusty nodded in agreement "Yeah, I can see a lot of anger in his eyes" Samuel raised an eyebrow "how could you possibly be able to tell that?" Dusty smirked "Trust me, I'm good at reading people."

Next to Wolfson was a beautiful woman with short blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin. She was armored up and definitely had the look of a warrior she appeared to be Wolfson's right hand. She whispered something to Wolfson and he stood up before raising his voice "Who's ready to see the bastard who dared to fuck with us get justice!?" The men and women serving Wolfson cheered and Samuel shook his head "It doesn't look like our dear little brother is very popular around here." Samuel was right, everyone of these men and women cheered at the thought of seeing Jacob die.

"Bring him out!" Wolfson shouted and everyone made room for two guards to pass. They had Jacob between them, his long blonde hair was dirty, his green eyes showed a lot of anger and his face was bruised with a couple new scars. Jacob was a tall man, and usually came across as pretty intimidating to strangers, especially when he was angry, but the men and women around him seemed unfazed by his presence. That may have something to do with the fact that that the guards had him restrained.

An older man stepped in front of Jacob and he seemed angry "You killed my friend, you piece of shit!" Jacob killed someone? Why would he do that? "Get the fuck out of my face, old man!" Jacob spat, he's always been pretty defiant, to everyone, but his father. The old man angrily punched Jacob in the gut, Jacob groaned in pain but then he repaid the man with a headbutt, effectively breaking the man's nose and knocking him to the ground.

Samuel sighed "Damn it, Jacob!" Dusty seemed impressed "Your brother's got guts." Samuel nodded in agreement "Yeah, but it might get him killed!" Samuel had a point if Jacob isn't careful they might kill him right here.

The old man stood up ready to attack again, but then Wolfson shouted "that's enough! This isn't how the boy dies." The older man seemed angry, but he relented and moved out of Jacob's way.

The guards next to Jacob put him on his knees as Wolfson approached and the blonde woman followed. "Jacob Branfield, right?" Jacob didn't answer, but then Wolfson looked over to Malcolm's direction "Those are your brothers aren't they?" But again Jacob didn't answer.

Wolfson sighed "fine, let's get on with it. Jacob Branfield, you stand trial here for murdering one of my most loyal men, how do you justify this vile crime?"

"You think he did it?" Samuel whispered and Malcolm shrugged "maybe, Jacob's temper is as bad as Lucas' if not worse. Someone could've got in his way and Jacob reacted with force." Dusty spoke up "oh he did it alright, I can tell, he doesn't feel guilty, but I can tell that what Wolfson's saying is true." Dusty did say he was good at reading people, they'll have to take his word for it.

"He deserved it." Jacob spat and Wolfson seemed visibly angered "excuse me?" Jacob glared daggers into Wolfson's eyes "He deserved what he got, it wasn't murder." Wolfson growled and kicked Jacob in the chest, it was a good hit, Jacob would've fallen over if the two guards weren't holding him up. Jacob needed help, Malcolm ran forward with the intent of helping Jacob, but Samuel and Davith held him back. "Easy, Malcolm. The only chance your brother's got is to win this trial, you run in there and he loses that chance." Davith reasoned.
    "But--" Malcolm tried to argue, but Samuel interrupted "he's right, Malcolm, we need to just hope for the best or Jacob won't be the only one who dies here." Malcolm didn't like it, but they were right, the trial and Dusty's help was Jacob's only hope.

Jacob spat "Fuck you, Wolfson. I came here to ask for your help." Wolfson spat right back "And you killed one of my men to do it, I'm not interested in any work you have for me." Jacob sighed "Fuck this, let's just skip to the part we both know is coming." Wolfson crossed his arms and glared at Jacob "Go on then."
    Jacob sighed "I demand a trial by combat." Jacob spat while defiantly staring straight into Wolfson's eyes. Dusty stood up, knowing that he soon had to play his part in saving Jacob.

Many of the men and women began laughing as if they knew Jacob had no chance. Wolfson walked back up to his throne and sat down "Very well, will you defend yourself or will you name a champion?" Jacob looked over to Malcolm and frowned "I name Dustin Sand as my champion." Wolfson cocked his eyebrow "Who the fuck is Dustin Sand?"

"That would be me." Dusty said as he stepped forward. Wolfson glared at him, he seemed angry, but confused "Why would you defend him? This is no business of yours."
    Dusty glared straight at Wolfson "My reasons are my own."

Wolfson furrowed his eyebrows "I see." He sat back, clearly debating his decision. "Alise." Wolfson said to his right hand, apparently her name is Alise. She looked over at Wolfson "What?" She asked and Wolfson said "Bring Sibas out. He will be my champion." Alise seemed alarmed by this "But Tom, he's just a lad!"
    Wolfson seemed annoyed by her protests "You said he was good in a fight."
    Alise continued her protests "Yes, But--" Wolfson interrupted her "And that you trained him."
    "Yes, but--" Alise repeated, but yet again Wolfson interrupted her "Then Sibas will be my champion!" Wolfson commanded and Alise relented "I'll go get him."

Samuel cocked an eyebrow "That was interesting." It certainly was, whoever this Sibas is Alise doesn't seem to want him fighting. "Davith, can you tell us anything about this Sibas?" Malcolm asked Davith and he shook his head "No, but I know Alise, she's a good woman, Malcolm and loyal."
    Samuel looked at Davith suspiciously "Why are you telling us this?" Davith sighed "I'm just trying to point out that these people aren't so bad, I feared that their treatment of your brother may have painted them in a bad light for you."
    "For good reason!" Samuel exclaimed angrily. "

Malcolm was about to step in when he saw Alise arrive with a man next to her. He seemed to be of average size, fairly skinny and he had long dark hair in a ponytail, Brown eyes and pale skin. He was armored up and had a longsword. "Quite!" Malcolm raised his voice over Samuel and Davith "look who just arrived."

Davith shrugged "You think that's Sibas? He doesn't look like much."
    "Looks can be deceiving." Samuel added "He may not be big or particularly muscular, but strategy can go a long way." Samuel had a point, Dusty had better not underestimate him. Alise whispered something to Sibas and he nodded, words of advice perhaps? The two seemed friendly, they could be close, maybe that's why Alise didn't want him fighting.

Wolfson saw Sibas and smiled "Good you're here, time to prove your worth, lad!" Sibas nodded to Wolfson proudly and said "I swear I won't let you down, Tom." Well he's formal. Sibas stood in front of Dusty and Wolfson said "Let's just skip the stuff about God's and men alright? Just fight."

Sibas stared Dusty down and prepared a stance, one foot forward, one back... he has good form. Dusty smirked "Well aren't you a scary fuck." He seemed to be trying to get under Sibas' skin. Sibas seemed unfazed and didn't move as Dusty unsheathed his sword. Dusty continued speaking "You know you probably think that armor makes you look tougher than you actually are, but it just tells me that you're afraid to get hit!" Dusty shouted as he took a swing at Sibas and Sibas easily parried his strike and Dusty chuckled sadistically "Nice... maybe you'll be a satisfying kill after all!" The way Dusty was talking was making Malcolm uneasy, he was helping them, but maybe Samuel was right, maybe Dusty is deranged.

Now Sibas attempted a strike at Dusty and he parried it just as easily. "Ooh, I think I almost felt that one." Dusty mocked Sibas and it seemed to rile him up. "Fuck you!" Sibas spat and Dusty laughed "He speaks! I thought you might''ve forgotten how with how much you're shaking in your boots."

"Argh!" Sibas growled and took another strike at Dusty and he blocked it, but held it there and got right up to Sibas' face "When I'm done with you, you'll be unrecognizable to your bitch over there." Dusty gestured over to Alise and Sibas lost it, he shouted and headbutted Dusty. Dusty took the hit and stumbled back, he was stunned and Sibas took the opportunity to strike. "No!" Malcolm shouted, fearing the worst, Dusty heard the shout and attempted to jump back and parry, he succeeded but he was rushed and dropped his sword.

Sibas took the opportunity to kick Dusty's sword behind him "The fuck you going to do now, huh?!" Sibas spat at Dusty. Dusty glared at Sibas and growled "Improvise..." and he slowly walked towards Sibas. Sibas was taken aback by Dusty's actions and took a step back out of fear. Dusty growled "what's the matter? You have the advantage don't you? So use it. Fucking kill me!" Dusty growled. Sibas panicked and took a swing at Dusty, it was a mistake, Dusty easily dodged it and managed to tackle Sibas and wrap his hands around his neck, Sibas dropped his sword and couldn't reach it, he was in a bad spot. It seemed Dusty had this won, but he wasn't killing Sibas in a very humane way, it seemed that this would be over soon when suddenly Dusty freed his right hand and began viciously punching Sibas in the face. He just kept punching and punching, Sibas had no where to go and had no means of fighting back "I yield!" Sibas shouted "please, I yield!" He began to beg. Dusty wasn't listening however and continued punching him. "That's enough, leave him alone!" Alise shouted, but Dusty didn't stop then Malcolm shouted "That's enough, Dusty! It's over." But still Dusty didn't stop and Sibas shouted in distress "You're a fucking monster!"
    "You don't know me." Dusty growled as he stood up and began kicking Sibas in the ribs "You don't fucking know me!" Dusty began shouting. Davith's eyes widened "He's out of control!" Samuel groaned "Shit... this is bad, the trials over and he's not stopping."

Alise began fearing the worst "Tom, do something!" But Wolfson did nothing and just looked on. Suddenly Jacob broke free from his captors "Let him go! That's enough!" And he tried to pull Dusty off of Sibas, but he was too weak from his injuries and couldn't pull him off on his own. "Malcolm, help me!" Jacob shouted over to Malcolm and Malcolm nodded, ready to intervene, but Samuel pulled him back "Hold on, Malcolm!"
    Malcolm pulled away "What the fuck for? He's going to kill him!" Samuel sighed "I know! But Dustin's the only ally we've got! Who knows how he'll react if we get involved. I may not like him, but like I said he's all we've got and he's clearly pretty good in a fight." Malcolm shook his head "But Samuel, that boy will die if we don't do something!"
    Samuel continued to argue "I know it's hard, Malcolm, but sometimes we need to make sacrifices, Jacob's fine that's what's important and Wolfson clearly doesn't care if Dustin kills that boy."

[Help Jacob save Sibas] [Do nothing]

• Ah, I am so glad the part is out! And it was a very nice part, as always :)

[Help Jacob save Sibas]

I wouldn't be so sure if Tom really doesn't care if Sibas dies or not. He is one of his men after all and maybe he will secretly be glad that they saved him. If anything, Dustin should be the one that shouldn't care if that guy lives or dies, as he has no personal connection to him. And I am willing to hope that he indeed won't care, despite his obviously murderous temper. Sibas lost, that's all that matters. Dustin beat him fairly and in a pretty impressive way, so it doesn't matter if he lives or dies. Now might be the time to make a good impression, after whatever Jacob did to ruin the Branfield's impression. I don't think it can hurt to save his life here. After all, they don't only need Jacob's freedom, they also need sellswords for House Branfield, which they will only get if they somehow manage to undo the bad impression Jacob caused.

Malcolm Davith had just returned from speaking with Jacob and they were now waiting for the trial to begin. Dusty was confident that he'd w

• Nice? Just nice? Did you seriously just friend zone my story? (Joking)

Ah, I am so glad the part is out! And it was a very nice part, as always [Help Jacob save Sibas] I wouldn't be so sure if Tom really

• [Do nothing]

It's a tough 'ol world out there, and I'm sure Dusty knows what he's doing (I'm still not biased!). It is a difficult moral quandary, and I don't feel good about it, but I think it's ultimately best if Malcolm just lets the Bigby-Grendel situation play out :p

So I did really love this part - and you continue to write Dusty as I imagined, confidence built atop a bedrock of aggression. I liked his foreshadowing of the ending too, with his amusement over the idea of yielding. At least his morals are consistent... if questionable. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the interpersonal relationship between him and Malcolm in particular unfold too in his next chapter, regardless of what choice ultimately wins.

Malcolm Davith had just returned from speaking with Jacob and they were now waiting for the trial to begin. Dusty was confident that he'd w

• Man, Dusty is so much fun to write! I had a difficult time actually deciding how far I wanted him to go. I tend to worry that I'll have submitted characters do something out of character.

DillonDex posted: »

[Do nothing] It's a tough 'ol world out there, and I'm sure Dusty knows what he's doing (I'm still not biased!). It is a difficult moral

• Oh no, I'm sorry, but you got the wrong impression! I never said just nice, I said very nice ;)

Nice? Just nice? Did you seriously just friend zone my story? (Joking)

• [Help Jacob save Sibas]

• [Do Nothing]

I feel as though Malcolm is the type of guy who believes in independence and "fight your own battles" things.

Not only that but if you try to do anything brash then it can get perceived as a weakness and used against the group. Either that they care about people or they care about Dusty. Not saying they don't but they dont want to display the connections they have when it comes to eachother.

As much as I'd like to see a fight go down for more action, I think we have a clear victor so it should stop before things get out of hand.

• Oh hey! I didn't think you were reading this anymore.

StarKing789 posted: »

[Help Jacob save Sibas] As much as I'd like to see a fight go down for more action, I think we have a clear victor so it should stop before things get out of hand.

• Yes I still am actually. Apologies for not posting here for a while. I still read your story, I just don't give myself any time to vote. XD

Oh hey! I didn't think you were reading this anymore.

• Its been a while since i caame back on the GoT forums, you know considering the walking dead: ANF and all. I say [Do Nothing]
    Its been a hell of a fight. Sure we have a clear winner but, you gotta do what you gotta do.

• The voting is closed! Malcolm will help Jacob save Sibas.

I'm a bit surprised at how close it was, finally I add a choice that wasn't almost completely unanimous!

Anywho the next part... might be a Lucas part. I say that because I'm not sure which would work better for pacing. I'll figure it out though.

One more thing, I have a question for those of you that submitted a character. Are you okay with your character being involved in a romance? I'm not saying that I'll definitely be adding a ton of romances, but I want to know my options. If the answer is yes, then be sure to clarify who your character is and their sexuality. I need you to clarify who your character is because I carelessly neglected to save your usernames along with your characters.

• Nesa - yes.

The voting is closed! Malcolm will help Jacob save Sibas. I'm a bit surprised at how close it was, finally I add a choice that wasn't alm

• Sexuality?

Mathea posted: »

Nesa - yes.

• Hetero.

Sexuality?

• Well, I am very fine with anything for Lucina and Marcos. As a bit of a sucker for romance, I wouldn't oppose such a thing at all, quite the contrary. When it comes to their sexuality... eh, I haven't really put much thought into it. I guess it would make the most sense to have them straight, given Marcos' opinion on women and Lucina's apparent monster crush on Malcolm. Let's keep it simple there, though if you wish to change anything without being sure if I'd be okay with it, just send me a message, I have no doubt there shouldn't be a problem with figuring something out :)

The voting is closed! Malcolm will help Jacob save Sibas. I'm a bit surprised at how close it was, finally I add a choice that wasn't alm

• Cool. Thanks for the heads up. :)

• It's okay for Linnea to be romanced, she is into men and slightly objects to homosexuality ( Just clarifying that I personally am not.)

• My character is Ser Larion Shiel and I am perfectly fine with romance being involved in his character. As for his sexuality? I would say heterosexual but if you have any plans in mind for his character that conflicts with this, you have my permission to change it.

• Francis wood (straight)

• And of course you can

LordSIF posted: »

Francis wood (straight)

• My character is Ser Walter Whitehill and he is straight. He is already married but if a romance for him fits where you want to go in the story that is fine by me!

• I don't have anything planned, but I just want to make sure my options are clear. Would you consider it to be out off character for Walter to be unfaithful?

• edited January 2017

That is a good question and one I had not really thought about. However thinking about it, I would say that it would take a long time for him to reach that point. I could see Walter trying his hardest to be faithful but after being away from his family for a very long time and being at war with no guarantee of coming home could potentially make him decide to be unfaithful.

I don't have anything planned, but I just want to make sure my options are clear. Would you consider it to be out off character for Walter to be unfaithful?

• edited February 2017

Lucas
    It's been a day since Lucas sent out the scouts behind Simon's and his father's backs. It probably wouldn't be long before he'd be getting hit by the backlash of his decision. Hopefully Simon would understand.

Lucas decided he sat around long enough and it was time to get something done. Perhaps his uncle Kiran had something in mind, he was smart and always seemed to be preparing for something. Kiran is Damien's older brother though he isn't the Lord as Kiran is a bastard. Lucas always thought about what if Kiran was true born. Both Lucas and Samuel think Kiran would make a far better lord than their father. Kiran is smart and would fit the role well. Thankfully Damien recognises this and saw fit to give his older brother the role of castellan.

Lucas wandered the halls when he spotted his uncle talking to Maester Nathaniel. Nathaniel had gotten old since Lucas was a child, he had grey in what little hair he had left, brown eyes and was a rather thin man. Nathaniel is or was a member of House Darklyn, the House destroyed by Aerys II, Nathaniel was a Maester at that point so he was safe from the conflict, however the event made Nathaniel a very bitter and angry man.

Kiran didn't seem too pleased himself, arguing with the Maester. Kiran had short dark hair, green eyes and a beard. Nathaniel angrily asked "Words getting around that you've been searching for a healer among the smallfolk. Is the work I do here not good enough for you?"

Kiran sighed "It's not like that Nathaniel, I'm simply preparing for the worst, if a siege comes here there will be a lot of wounded men, more than you can handle."
    Nathaniel shook his head be that as it may, you can't just do this behind my back, it doesn't look good when--"
    "I'll do what I please, Maester!" You always know you're your on Kiran's bad side if he refers to you by your title. "I don't answer to you, if you don't like it either shut up or complain to my brother." Kiran then turned as he saw Lucas and sighed "Fuck off while I speak with my nephew." Nathaniel seemed especially angered by Kiran's words but relented "as you wish" then he turned to Lucas "Hello Lucas." He greeted him as he bitterly walked past him. "Hello Nathaniel." Lucas greeted in return before giving Kiran a questioning look and Kiran bluntly asked "what?"

Lucas sighed "You were pretty harsh don't you think?"
    Kiran shook his head "Nathaniel's a prick, besides I've seen you harsher with your own brothers." Lucas reluctantly nodded in agreement "true, but I'm the heir and you're the bastard castellan, you're already unpopular, uncle."
    Kiran smirked "good thing that I don't care what others think of me. You need to start thinking the same way if you want to be a lord who's worth a damn."

Lucas didn't respond he knew Kiran made a good point, and he agreed, but he didn't like the idea of becoming hated by his own people. Kiran put a reassuring hand on Lucas' shoulder "Don't think too much about it, you're already on the right path." Lucas looked up at his uncle curiously "I am?" Kiran nodded "I heard about you sending out those scouts despite Simon's decision to hold them back. That's a good step. You knew it was the right thing despite a trusted friend and advisor thinking otherwise and you did it anyway."

It may have felt like the right decision, but Lucas felt a lot of guilt about going behind Simon's back. Before Lucas got lost in his thoughts he remembered why he came. "Uncle, I wanted to talk to you." Kiran raised an eyebrow curiously "Oh? What about?"

"I wanted to get busy, find something that needs doing. Do you have anything in mind?" Kiran nodded "I don't have anything that needs doing but there's something on my mind that I'd like to talk about. I've already spoken to your father about it but it couldn't hurt to talk to you about it too, it is important."
    Lucas wondered what he'd possibly want to talk about "What is it?"
    Kiran shook his head "Not here, we'll talk outside."

Lucas followed Kiran outside until they stopped by the main gate "You see this?" Kiran gestured towards the gate. Lucas nodded but he was unsure what point Kiran was getting too. Kiran continued "This gate is the only way in or out of Summerspring. If there's to be a siege then our enemy has to come through here."

Lucas nodded but still didn't get what Kiran was suggesting "I already know this, uncle. What exactly is your point?"
    "Pay attention I'm getting to it." Kiran looked at the gate then to Summerspring's main keep, he seemed to be visually measuring the distance between the two.

Kiran looked to Lucas "Hypothetically if a siege did came here and it got so bad that they broke through our gates, what do you think our most likely course of action would be?" Lucas stopped to think about it, like Kiran just did a few moments ago he visually measured the distance between the gates and the keep. It would be a tough run and more than a few wouldn't make it the whole way.

"The only course of action would be to fall back into the keep, but we wouldn't all make it." Kiran nodded in aggreement "This is true, we'd definitely lose a lot of people, but this is the worst case scenario." Lucas sighed all this strategy seemed more suited to Samuel, Lucas felt out of place thinking all this through. He's always been a man of action. He sees what must be done and he does it, he doesn't think about every possible outcome.

Kiran sighed "There's a detail you overlooked." Lucas was surprised by this, he thought that he was doing well despite feeling out of place. "What did I miss?" Kiran seemed bothered by whatever was going on in his head "I fucking hate war." Lucas agreed but he didn't know what Kiran was thinking about. "Uncle? Are you alright?"

Kiran shook his head "Our enemy breaks through these gates there's nothing between them and the smallfolk... except us." Lucas looked to the smallfolk and frowned there were a lot of good people there and they seemed largely ignorant of what was coming.

Kiran sighed and seemed angry "We run to save ourselves and a large amount of these people are fucked. If we're lucky we may survive if we run but how many of these people will suffer when it's done? How many people will be missing a son, a daughter, a spouse?"

Lucas sighed "I... don't want to think about that." Kiran seemed angry, but not at Lucas, likely about the whole situation. "These are good people Lucas, honest and loyal people, war isn't kind to the smallfolk. I've tried talking to you father about this, but he won't budge. He says they would be a necessary but regrettable casualty, that war demands sacrifice and if our family's to survive sacrifice is needed."

Lucas didn't like the sound of that but what else is there to do? "What would you have us do instead? Hold the line? Fight to the last man for the sake of the smallfolk?" Kiran nodded determinedly and simply said "In Arms to the End. Those are our words Lucas. I would have us live by them. We abandon none!"

Lucas frowned before taking one last look at the smallfolk "why are you telling me this?" Kiran looked his nephew in the eyes "If your father dies there's a good chance it'll be your decision. So tell me Lucas I need to know if it were up to you what would you do? If you had to make this choice right here, right now what would you do? Run in the hopes of saving your family or fight to the end to do what's right?"

["I'd run."] ["In Arms to the End."]

• ["In Arms to the End."] It is House Branfield's words and it fits with how I see Lucas as well.

Lucas It's been a day since Lucas sent out the scouts behind Simon's and his father's backs. It probably wouldn't be long before he'd be ge

• How do you see Lucas? I'm just curious on how he's being received as a character.

CM3434 posted: »

["In Arms to the End."] It is House Branfield's words and it fits with how I see Lucas as well.

• Lucas is a massive favorite of mine right now. He is an awesome character who is very different from his brothers. You are doing an excellent job with him!

How do you see Lucas? I'm just curious on how he's being received as a character.

• ["In Arms to the End."]

Lucas It's been a day since Lucas sent out the scouts behind Simon's and his father's backs. It probably wouldn't be long before he'd be ge

• Oh that's awesome to hear! It seemed like most of you preferred Samuel so I was a little worried that most of you didn't like Lucas.

CM3434 posted: »

Lucas is a massive favorite of mine right now. He is an awesome character who is very different from his brothers. You are doing an excellent job with him!

• Well I can definitely say for myself and the others probably agree with me that Lucas is right there with Samuel and they are very much on an even keel with both being unique in their own ways. Lucas is no doubt in an unique situation with both Malcolm and Samuel away from Summerspring so it will be interesting to see how things go for him especially if the Northerners make it to Summerspring before they get back.

Oh that's awesome to hear! It seemed like most of you preferred Samuel so I was a little worried that most of you didn't like Lucas.

• This was really a great part! Lucas as a PoV is growing on me with each passing part and I enjoy him a lot. I also liked this talk with Kiran, it really got me thinking, even though the choice was ultimately relatively easy for me.

["In Arms to the End."]

I fully agree with CM3434 here. I consider Lucas to be a dutiful man, who'd hold the line to the last man instead of saving himself. Running would ultimatly only benefit himself and from what we've seen so far, he doesn't seem that selfish.

• edited February 2017

["In Arms to the End."]

• edited April 2017

Gregor

Gregor thought it through and decided to ask about Kevan, all Gregor knows about him is that he looks intimidating. "Tell me about Kevan." Ludd seemed to be caught off guard by the question. "A fair question, though Kevan isn't actually a Warrick." Gregor was confused by the question "But they're brothers..." the realisation hit Gregor when he realized that Kevan was the only one of them that wasn't blonde. Ludd nodded in response "Yeah, Kevan's a bastard, Kevan Snow."

Gregor thought it on it, it was interesting, but it didn't really tell him anything about Kevan as a person. "Can you tell me anything else? What's he like?" Ludd sighed "What I'm about to tell you, you keep it to yourself, don't ever mention it aloud, especially in front of the Warrick." This seemed serious, Gregor nodded "I won't say anything" he promised. Ludd sighed once again "I'll be honest, I couldn't tell you what kind of personality he's got. I didn't know him before... it happened." Gregor was confused but he could tell Ludd was concerned about revealing this information "What happened?"

"Kevan doesn't speak." Ludd said bluntly and Gregor widened his eyes in surprise "Why not?" Ludd frowned "He can't... Kevan doesn't have... his father cut it out" he said as Ludd gestured towards his own mouth. Gregor couldn't hold back a gasp when he realized what Ludd was implying "Shit! Seriously? Why the fuck would he do that!? His own son?"

Ludd nodded sadly "An extreme punishment for sure. It was for Kinslaying. Kevan killed his brother. Don't ask me why as he never explained his actions and he isn't exactly able to anymore." Gregor couldn't believe this. Kinslaying is a serious crime and viewed as one of the most unforgivable acts you could commit, even more than regicide for some. It was probably safe to say that Kevan is not a popular man.

"I appreciate your honesty, Ludd." Gregor gave Ludd a grateful smile and Ludd seemed smiled back though he seemed reluctant "The Warricks won't, not even Bryce. Be sure to keep that information to yourself."

Gregor nodded and was about to continue the conversation but he realized that they'd caught up with the Warricks so Gregor felt it best that he drop it for now. The Warricks however hadn't noticed they're presence yet and were talking. Well Bryce and Ammett were talking, Kevan was just standing there beside Ser Larion.

"Fucking dogs, ungrateful cunts!" Ammett ranted and Bryce being the voice of reason attempted to calm his brother down "Take it easy, brother." Ammett didn't seem to hear him however. "We didn't have to come here, Lord Whitehill would've understood but we did anyway, because I wanted to help and what did they do? A word of thanks? Nope! They decide they're too good for our help! Fucking Degores I never liked them, everyone's an enemy to them!" Ammett seemed different from when Gregor saw him last. He still seemed insane but he appeared arrogant and cocky, now he was angry and hateful.

"Bryce, you need to calm your brother down." Larion ordered sternly as he noticed Gregor and Ludd's presence. Bryce sighed "I'm trying Ser, but it isn't easy when he gets like this." "You're weak Ammett!" Ammett was talking to himself now? "You let everyone push you around and I know why! This stupid girl makes you soft!" Bryce looked alarmed "Oh no..." Gregor looked to Ludd wondering what the fuck was going on and Ludd shrugged, he seemed just as confused as Gregor.

"What the fuck's wrong with him!?" Larion shouted and Bryce kneeled down "Hey Ammett! Look at me." Gregor just noticed Kevan was frowning and trying not to look at his brothers. Ammett suddenly frowned "No, no, Carsen please I'll be tougher, just don't hurt her!"

"Ammett!" Ludd shouted and successfully interrupted his ranting and Ammett's expression suddenly changed from sorrowful to cheerful "Ludd! Good to see you. How's your father?" That was incredibly strange, Larion seemed very confused ,Ludd seemed more stern than usual and Bryce seemed relieved. "still bitter, not unlike your father." Ludd responded and Kevan seemed to slightly grimace at the mention of his father and Ammett nodded "harsh but very true, I can't argue." Ammett then turned to Gregor "You're Gregor Forrester then?" Gregor nodded and Ammett presented his hand respectfully, clearly waiting for Gregor to shake it. He reluctantly shook his hand and Ammett smiled "You're commanding here? I'll be honest never worked with a Forrester, you're father isn't fond of us as I'm sure you're aware. Nevertheless I look forward to fighting by your side."

Gregor planned to be diplomatic but he couldn't help but be suspicious of Ammett and spoke in a more cynical tone than intended "Do you now?" Ammett suddenly glared at Gregor and Bryce seemed concerned. "I'm gonna have to stop you there Forrester. You'll want to keep your passive-aggressive horseshit to yourself!" Kevan stepped forward as Ammett got tense and Bryce shook his head signalling Kevan to hang back. Ammett continued "I came here to help, I didn't have to, I'm putting my brother's and my men's lives at risk for you and frankly I deserve better than this!" Gregor suddenly regretted his harsh tone as he seems to have angered Ammett, that cannot be a good thing, luckily Ludd intervened "That's enough Ammett!" And he backed off "of course, my apologies."

Bryce then took the initiative and stepped forward "My brother puts it a bit too bluntly but you must understand my Lord. We came to help and you saw the welcome we got. So we are understandably frustrated." Kevan rolled his eyes at Bryce's words which earned a chuckle from Ammett. Gregor didn't understand what was funny but chose to ignore it. "I understand Bryce, but you must understand that your family is not very popular, with good reason I might add." Bryce sighed "I guess that's understandable but we're not all rapers and murderers."
    "Your brother is." Gregor countered bluntly and looked towards Ammett. He remembered his silence when Marcos asked him point blank if he was a raper and a murderer. "You don't know a thing about me Forrester." Ammett glared at Gregor which led to Ludd stepping between the two "that's enough, let's get to business, we're on the same side. Ammett how many men have you brought with you?"

Ammett nodded "At least a hundred, not much I know but it's all my father was willing to spare." Ludd sighed "It's fine, I understand. We appreciate the help." Ludd seemed much more stern than usual, perhaps that's how he deals with Ammett. "Kevan and I aren't bad in a fight though." Gregor raised an eyebrow "What about Bryce?" Ammett shrugged "He's... alright" Bryce responded with a glare.
    "He's decent but not as good as Kevan and Ammett." Ludd added. Ammette seemed annoyed. "Isn't that what I said?"

Gregor smiled "Well I appreciate the assistance, is there anything else you can offer?" Ammett seemed hesitant "There's something... but I don't want to offer it until I know it's a viable option. Something you can use." Gregor was curious about this "It's good though?" Ammett nodded "Very, it could be devastating against the Branfields if I can confirm it's an option."

Gregor nodded "Well I can't say I'm not curious." Ludd seemed suspicious but didn't comment on it "Well since everyone's not very accepting of you three at the moment we'll need to figure out a compromise for now until the others come around. Any thoughts Gregor?" Gregor sighed, it was a tricky situation. They couldn't just send the Warricks away but the others are bound to be trouble if they get too close. Gregor looked to Ammett "For now you'll have to keep your distance while I explain the situation to everyone, give it a couple days for things to calm down. Ammett seemed like he was about to protest but Bryce spoke first "Seems fair, we're to fight together though, we can't be separated for too long." Larion nodded "I agree, if we're to fight together we need to get past any grudges." Gregor sighed "Just a couple days, that's all I need." Ammett relented "Fine, I can adapt, been doing it all my life." Bryce frowned but didn't say anything. Gregor was more confused than ever. Ludd smiled "Well I think our works done here, Larion go on and head back we'll be back soon." Larion nodded "Of course my Lord.' As Larion turned to leave Gregor stopped him "actually could you round everyone up for a council meeting when you get back?" Larion looked to Ludd and he nodded "Of course." Then he left.

Gregor sighed "You know I get the feeling that your man doesn't like me." Ludd laughed "Doesn't trust you, there's a difference." Gregor groaned "I didn't expect for things to get so complicated, I expected a straightforward siege, not all this drama, we haven't even started the siege yet and a great number of people are pissed at me." Ludd groaned "Would you stop your whining?" Gregor chuckled at Ludd's bluntness and Ludd smirked "You'll earn their trust, just follow your instincts and you'll do right by us." Gregor nodded "I suppose you're right, we better get to that meeting." Ludd nodded "I'm right behind you."

The two made their way towards the tent where they'd be holding their meeting. They stopped by the tent when they heard arguing "I don't care who you are, you can't just barge in here without warning, if you were one of my men I'd beat you bloody!" That sounded like Marcos but who was he shouting at? "You really need to watch your tone friend. Right now I'm an ally, you don't want me as an enemy." Gregor gasped, he knew that voice but it's been years since he heard it. Ludd was understandably confused "Who is it?" Gregor didn't answer him and marched inside. Everyone in the room turned and saw Gregor, Marcos seemed angered and then Gregor saw him. His spiky hair & big brown bushy beard, but it was his green eyes that marked him as family. "Hello cousin." The man said with a smile and Gregor remained at a distance "Marcus, why are you here?"

Marcos interrupted them "You can talk about it later! We need to deal with this problem he's brought us." Marcos gestured to an unconscious man on the ground, he was in Branfield colours. Ludd sighed "shit!" Gregor attempted to keep his composure, knowing fully well of the situation they're in. "Who is this?" Marcos scoffed "You know who it is! I fucking told you this would happen, Forrester!" Marcus then spoke up "I caught him pretty damn close to the camp, obviously a scout, I believe he was attempting to count your forces, ran for his damn life when he saw me."

Eamon entered the discussion "This isn't good, it won't be long before they realize a scout hasn't reported back, they'll know we're here." Marcos nodded "The whelp's right, we need to strike now, Forrester, we've already wasted too much time waiting for Walter Whitehill." Gregor rubbed his neck in frustration "what are our options?" Marcos groaned when he heard the question then Royland spoke up "It depends on whether you want to keep waiting for those extra Whitehill troops, we can strike now, keep the element of surprise or keep waiting, though they'll know we're here if we do that. I don't imagine they'll wait long before taking the fight to us."

Eamon then stepped forward "I have a suggestion." Marcos scoffed but didn't say anything but Gregor could tell that Marcos wouldn't like anything Eamon has to say. Gregor sighed "Go on Eamon." Eamon smiled "Thank you, if we're dead set on waiting for Walter Whitehill we could have a parley." Marcos once again scoffed "Parley!? Our orders are to kill every single Branfield!" Eamon nodded "Yes, but the Branfields don't know that, we'd simply be stalling for time we'd send word that we'd like to meet, we hand over the scout as a sign of good faith."

Royland shook his head "I don't think that's a good idea, we'd be talking out of our asses, what do you think they're gonna do if they catch on? Leave? No they'll attack. I'm with Marcos on this, Walter will get here when he gets here, they know we're here. we can't afford to waste time." Ludd shook his head "The Branfields wouldn't do that, attack us during a parley? That's almost as bad as violating guest right." Then Gregor's cousin spoke up "I think we should--" Marcos interrupted him "No one cares what you think! You're not part of this council." Marcus looked to Gregor as if he expected him to defend him, but Gregor said nothing, Marcus should know better than to expect Gregor to come to his aid.

Marcos then sighed "I've heard enough. What's it gonna be Forrester? Will we continue to waste our time or actually do something?" Ludd then spoke up "This is about more than just Walter, the Warricks need time to settle in, the state we're in now, nobody will happily fight by their side." Royland angrily said "We don't need the Warricks." Ludd groaned in frustration but didn't argue further. "I'm good with whatever you want Gregor, but I think we should stall for time.

A parley seemed a good idea but Royland had a point. They likely wouldn't attack but who knows how they'll react if they realize their being played. Perhaps It was finally time to listen to Marcos and begin the siege.

[Stall for time] [Attack as soon as possible]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.