Nymeria's War (ongoing fanfiction)

Comments

• [Stay hidden] As the others have said, there is little reason in trying to push on here since Verro is severely injured and at this point, he needs to just worry about keeping himself safe so he can hopefully get out of this battle alive.

I have also noticed that titles for books 3 and 4 have been added so I have to add my input even if it won't be as detailed as my guesses from the book 2 chapter names.

The Hour of Blood- This one I can definitely guess will feature some massive battles and it makes me wonder who they will be with. It looks like the Dayne's will bend the knee in Book 2 unless things aren't like they seem there so I am guessing it would have to be the Yronwood's since it seems they are the most powerful Dornish kingdom in the story at this point. However, chapter 4's title makes me unsure about this.

The Last King- Well this definitely would have to be about the Yronwood-Martell war since from what has been said, the Yronwood's are Nymeria's biggest threat so this will no doubt be when Nymeria and House Martell unite Dorne under them.

Overall, I really like these title choices!

Alright, I decided to leave the Nealia part for next time, but here is the Verro part: - Verro With a longboat carried over their h

• edited May 2017

Edit: Double post

Alright, I decided to leave the Nealia part for next time, but here is the Verro part: - Verro With a longboat carried over their h

• I have also noticed that titles for books 3 and 4 have been added so I have to add my input even if it won't be as detailed as my guesses from the book 2 chapter names.

Ah, that was quickly spotted! =) And yeah, I wouldn't expect the speculation for these to be quite as detailed, seeing how far away they still are in the story.

The Hour of Blood- This one I can definitely guess will feature some massive battles and it makes me wonder who they will be with. It looks like the Dayne's will bend the knee in Book 2 unless things aren't like they seem there so I am guessing it would have to be the Yronwood's since it seems they are the most powerful Dornish kingdom in the story at this point. However, chapter 4's title makes me unsure about this.

Indeed. Well, every book of course will have its big battles, but this one in particular should have some very big and memorable ones. I can confirm that Book 2 will be the one to focus the most on King Vorian. However, I can also confirm King Yorick won't be the only Dornish king left to oppose Nym during Book 3 ;) Anyway, I'm obviously not going into details here, to avoid any spoilers, but let's just say that if you're familiar with the actual canon information about Nymeria's War (which I intend to mostly follow) you might guess some things that'll happen during this book.

The Last King- Well this definitely would have to be about the Yronwood-Martell war since from what has been said, the Yronwood's are Nymeria's biggest threat so this will no doubt be when Nymeria and House Martell unite Dorne under them.

Yeah, it's indeed pretty obvious who the title is referring to =) Yorick Yronwood is the no. 1 adversary for Nymeria, so it's only to be expected that the last book will focus heavily on him.

Overall, I really like these title choices!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear this :) There is still plenty of time before I get to write these two books, but with the plans I have I'm already quite confident that these titles will not be changed, as they represent quite well the part of the story and the war that Books 3 & 4 will cover. If anything I might still end up changing the title of Book 2, in case I get some brilliant idea for it :p

CM3434 posted: »

[Stay hidden] As the others have said, there is little reason in trying to push on here since Verro is severely injured and at this point, h

• edited May 2017

Voting is closed!

And Verro will stay hidden. Even if Verro might feel bad for hiding while others fight, this was definitely the smart choice here. Obviously Verro's leg is quite severly injured, so on top of risking ruining that leg, fighting in such a bad shape could lead to even worse things.

Anyway, next we'll continue the Battle for Lemonwood with the PoVs of Nealia and Dianna. I still have quite a lot of work to do with these parts, but I'll at least try to get them done today. If that won't work out, then tomorrow it shall be =) Nealia was already recapped before the last part, but what comes to Dianna, she stromed the northern walls of Lemonwood with Bjorn Harlaw's crew, and they made it into the city. Bjorn started to lead his mean towards the town square and the sept, but Dianna noticed soldiers of House Dalt closer to the castle, and she had the chance to swich sides. However, you voted for her to keep following Bjorn.

-

Oh, and I have something quite interesting for you this time. That is, I made a "cover" for Book 1 :D Here it is:

enter image description here

• Pretty cool concept with the sun and spear, good job.

Voting is closed! And Verro will stay hidden. Even if Verro might feel bad for hiding while others fight, this was definitely the smart c

• A cover, I see! This looks very nice, I love the style. Makes me hyped for future books if they all receive similar covers =) It also makes me wonder whom these covers will be about. If you go with house sigils, Book 2 is probably going to be Dayne, they seem like the main house of Book 2, and the Book 4 cover is likely to feature House Yronwood, though I don't know about Book 3, could be Blackmont, or maybe Manwoody or even Fowler. The latter seems less likely, though Manwoody and Blackmont both sound about equally likely.

Speaking of, I have now also seen the future book titles and think that CM3434 already did some very in-depth analysis of them. Book 4 is clearly going to revolve around the Martell-Yronwood conflict, but I guess it will start even before then, as at least the beginning of this part of the war will see the Blackmont's allied with the Yronwood's, whereas Book 4 clearly revolves around the last king of Dorne, Yorick himself. This means that House Blackmont is likely to surrender in Book 3. I wasn't sure if the Dayne's truly surrender in Book 2, but it seems more likely now. However, this makes me curious where the Fowler's will end up, if they bend the knee in Book 2 or if they will be minor opponents to Nymeria in Book 3, before joining the war against the Yronwood-Blackmont alliance. There's also the Manwoody's, the wildcards. If we go geographically with Nymeria first conquering southern Dorne, then I guess they will surrender after the Fowler's and around the same time as the Blackmont's do. At most, this will leave us with three defeated kingdoms in Book 3, as well as likely a lot of blood, given the title. Oh man, it is still going to be a while until we get there, but I can already say that I am utterly hyped for it :D

Voting is closed! And Verro will stay hidden. Even if Verro might feel bad for hiding while others fight, this was definitely the smart c

• A cover, I see! This looks very nice, I love the style. Makes me hyped for future books if they all receive similar covers =) It also makes me wonder whom these covers will be about. If you go with house sigils, Book 2 is probably going to be Dayne, they seem like the main house of Book 2, and the Book 4 cover is likely to feature House Yronwood, though I don't know about Book 3, could be Blackmont, or maybe Manwoody or even Fowler. The latter seems less likely, though Manwoody and Blackmont both sound about equally likely.

Thanks! =) I liked making this so most likely I'll make ones for the other books as well. And just like in this one, the sigils definitely will play a role in the covers, just with a little twist. Like in this one, it's the new martell sigil with spear going through a sun, except the sun is black, as in the black sun of the Dryland's. Anyway, I can already guarantee I'll work the Manwoody sigil into one of the covers in some way, it's just too epic and fitting imagery not to use :p

Speaking of, I have now also seen the future book titles and think that CM3434 already did some very in-depth analysis of them. Book 4 is clearly going to revolve around the Martell-Yronwood conflict, but I guess it will start even before then, as at least the beginning of this part of the war will see the Blackmont's allied with the Yronwood's, whereas Book 4 clearly revolves around the last king of Dorne, Yorick himself. This means that House Blackmont is likely to surrender in Book 3. I wasn't sure if the Dayne's truly surrender in Book 2, but it seems more likely now. However, this makes me curious where the Fowler's will end up, if they bend the knee in Book 2 or if they will be minor opponents to Nymeria in Book 3, before joining the war against the Yronwood-Blackmont alliance. There's also the Manwoody's, the wildcards. If we go geographically with Nymeria first conquering southern Dorne, then I guess they will surrender after the Fowler's and around the same time as the Blackmont's do. At most, this will leave us with three defeated kingdoms in Book 3, as well as likely a lot of blood, given the title. Oh man, it is still going to be a while until we get there, but I can already say that I am utterly hyped for it :D

Indeed, in Book 4 King Yorick will be the center of attention, along with Nymeria of course. What comes to the other books though, well, you have some good speculation there, and as you bring up it won't be all the time just Nymeria versus one of the Kings, there will be times when she is actively in conflict with many of them. And while there will be alliances between the kings, well, let's just say some of these kings just aren't that good at working together :p

A cover, I see! This looks very nice, I love the style. Makes me hyped for future books if they all receive similar covers It also makes me

• Nealia

Nealia Sand followed after Lien Yu, running the battlements of Lemonwood towards the western gatehouse of the city. As she glanced backwards, she saw the White Elephant, Jinora Ling and Edric Thorne coming after them. Turning her head forward again, Nealia saw Lien already charging against the Dalt soldiers, and she followed quickly after her.

One of the defenders swung at Nealia with a mace, which she parried with her left sword, while simultaneously thrusting her right hand sword under the soldier's left arm, where he was unprotected. The soldier went down a with a painful scream, and Nealia continued. She saw Lien surrounded by two of the defenders, and attacked one of them from behind. However, her first strike to the man's back didn't do much more than shift the soldier's attention to Nealia. This man was much bigger than Nealia, but also surprisingly fast. He slashed his sword across the air with violent gaze in his dark eyes, but Nealia managed to back away from it. However, as she tried to parry the next strike with her left sword, the sheer power of it made her lose her grip, the sword falling down with a clang. As a consequence the tip of the Dalt soldier's blade scratched Nealia's chest, but her leather armor saved her.

Nealia was about to strike back, but before she managed to do that, the curved sabre of Jinora had cut the man's throat open. As the man fell down and Jinora attacked the next defender, Nealia now had a moment to observe the situation around her. It looked like their surprise attack had indeed helped – the Bandit Lord's troops were starting to overwhelm the defenders on the battlements next to the western gate. Nealia picked up the sword she dropped earlier, watching as the White Elephant and Edric Thorne forced their way towards the door of the gatehouse, taking down several Dalt soldiers on their way.

Soon the gates below them were crashed open by the force led by Ser Byrron Granit. The fighting at the battlements was mostly done at this point, but Nealia could see Byrron's men charging against the defenders on the streets, the screams and clashing of steel forming a cacophony.

Nealia found Lien again, seeing her leaning against the battlements, holding her left arm from above the elbow. "Are you alright?" Nealia asked loudly, and Lien nodded, though the expression on her face revealed that she was in some pain. "Just a scratch", the YiTish woman claimed sternly, but Nealia decided to check it herself. She grabbed Lien's left arm and took a look at the wound above the elbow. There had been no armor there, just some cotton that had been shredded by the blade. The wound did go a few inches deep, but no bones or tendons seemed to have been damaged, and the bleeding wasn't very severe. "I'll put something around it", Lien said decidedly, and Nealia nodded to her. "It should be just fine."

"Are you two alright?" White Elephant asked with his deep voice, the white and silver armor, as well as the Valyrian steel scimitar, tarnished with the blood of the enemies. The elephant helmet shined in the moonlight, but Nealia couldn't see the man eye's from under it. And behind him came Jinora and Edric, both looking exhausted, Edric even slightly injured.

"We're fine", Nealia answered sternly, turning her eyes to Lien again, and the to the street below them. Ser Byrron and his forces had pushed the defenders a little bit deeper into the city, but they could still be seen on the main street.

"Should we find Tryden?" Nealia asked from Lien, who gave her a small nod. Together with White Elephant, Jinora and Edric they made their way down from the battlements. Instead of going to the main street, where the thick of the fight was at the moment, they followed the smaller street to south, where the Rose Company had earlier charged. It was more quiet here, but soon Nealia started hearing screaming from some of the houses, and she saw few unarmed civilians running in panic across the street.

"A tavern", White Elephant pointed out as they walked next to a bit larger house, with a stable next to it. "Do you think some of them went there?" As they listened for a moment, some talking could indeed be heard from inside. White Elephant was the first to march in, keeping his blade up in case there would be enemies inside. However, who they found weren't enemies, but Illor and Jacke. Illor was laying on the floor, clearly badly injured, while Jacke sat next to him with a grim look on his face.

"Lien?" The Stormlander spoke up, mildly surprised. "Nealia?"

"What are you doing here?" Nealia asked quietly as she walked closer to them, shocked expression on her face as she looked at Illor. Just last night this man had been smiling and full of life, now he was pale and sweating, clearly in pain, a large bandage wrapped around his stomach. "Illor took a spear to the guts", Jacke explained with a sigh. "Most likely the poor bastard will be dead before the night's over, but Tryden left me here to guard him anyway."

"And where is Tryden now?" Jinora asked with her calm and friendly voice, while Nealia kneeled next to Illor, putting her hand on his forehead. "They continued towards the town square", Jacke answered nonchalantly, turning his eyes to Illor and Nealia again. "Though they probably haven't made it there yet, since they're raiding the houses."

"Illor... can you hear me?" Nealia asked with a shaky voice, and the Braavosi sellsword nodded to her. He even tried to flash her a smirk, but the pain wiped it off before it was even there. "Nealia, we should keep going", Lien said gently, putting her hand on her shoulder. Nealia took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. She could feel the tears coming to her eyes. Don't cry, he is still alive, Nealia reminded herself, and opened her eyes again. The look on Illor's eyes was weak, but it was one of a true friend. "Nealia... Don't go", the man managed to mutter under his pain, and now Nealia couldn't hold her tears anymore.

"There is nothing you can do to help him", Edric Thorne stated coldly, but Nealia ignored him. What did this stranger know, she wouldn't listen to him, she would help her friend. Lien kneeled down next to Nealia, a compassionate look on her mismatched eyes. "Edric is probably right... but I understand if you want to stay with Illor", she whispered gently.

[Stay with Illor] [Go with Lien and the others]

-

Dianna

The small Dalt force defending the town square was starting to break and retreat, as Bjorn Harlaw led his crew against them. Dianna followed after them, figuring it would not be a wise move to change sides now, with the whole situation being so uncertain.

The scattered Dalt forces ran away, and the Ironborn made their way to the large doors of the sept. It came quickly clear that the doors were barricaded from the inside, so Bjorn commanded his men break the door with their axes. Dianna watched from distance as the axes crushed against the doors again and again, wooden splinters flying through the air. After a minute of hacking and hammering there was a hole between the doors. The Ironborn warriors put a grappling hook between the doors and started to pull, until one of the doors gave in and collapsed. And so they rushed into the sept with screams of triumph.

Dianna followed into the sept after most of the Ironborn were already in. The sept was lit with dozens of candles. It was also fairly large, with high ceiling and marble pillars. There were around a dozen civilians hiding here, who were now panicking as the Ironborn rushed in with their terrifying screams. Then there was the septon – a fat bald man in his white robes, who was timidly crouching next to the altar in the middle of the sept, his eyes widened in panic.

Dianna observed from a distance as the Ironborn proceeded to kill some of the people hiding here, including the septon, as well as looting whatever treasures they could find. Suddenly someone stepped right next to Dianna. It was the young Ironborn warrior who had helped her take down one of the Dalt soldiers at the battlements, the one with the red tabard decorated with a white skeleton hand. In the dark Dianna hadn't really distinguished any particular features on the young man's face, but here he could definitely see him better. The man was actually quite handsome, with strong jawline, dark brown hair and sharp blue eyes. "Enjoying yourself, Captain Dianna?" The man asked with a subtle smirk on his face.

"And who are you?" Dianna asked nonchalantly. Now the man stepped in front of her, narrowing his eyes. Though the man was young and handsome, there was also something dangerous about him. "I'm the man who saved you earlier", he said arrogantly, which made Dianna frown. "You didn't save me", she insisted sternly, and now the man chuckled.

"As you say, mylady", the young Ironborn's tone was sly and smooth. "My name is Roryn Drumm, by the way."

"And aren't you interested in looting the treasures of this sept with your friends, Roryn?" Dianna asked dryly, but the guy just gave her a lazy shrug. "I'm the heir to Old Wyk, a warrior from an ancient lineage of reavers. I'll leave the trinkets for others, I am not here for gold."

"What are you here for then?" Dianna asked with a raised eyebrow, and judging by his grin it looked like Roryn had expected, even anticipated, for this question. "I am here for glory", he said ominously. "And I am here for blood."

Dianna was slightly taken aback by this strange answer, unsure if the young man was just trying to act tough, or if he was someone to truly be afraid of. All the same, Dianna didn't continue the conversation with Roryn Drumm any longer, and soon the Ironborn made their way out of the sept, and Dianna along with them.

While they had been inside the sept, more of Efran's forces had started to gather to the town square. The city will be taken over in matter of hours, Dianna realized, suddenly feeling thankful that she didn't change the sides when she had the opportunity.

From the eastern side of the town square approached a force of some thirty sellswords, led by a brown haired man with battleaxe, and a Summer Islander woman with a bow. From the north, so most likely from the harbor gate, came the crew of Arfast Stonetree, as well as other troops of Efran. And soon enough Efran Sand himself arrived to the town square, taking his place in the middle, and raising his bloodied Valyrian steel sword up. "We have sent the defenders running back to the castle!" He yelled, and the troops cheered for him. "However, there are still defenders near the western gate, holding back the forces of Ser Byrron", the blue-haired young man explained, determination and fury in his voice. "Let's go kill them!" Once again the troops cheered, and now they started to march towards the main street, which would take them to the western gate.

Bjorn and Arfast watched as Efran and his soldiers marched away, but the Ironborn stood still. "We will continue raiding the city", Bjorn decided, and now his men cheered. And so, Bjorn and Arfast started leading their forces towards the southern parts of the city. It might be the wisest choice to keep following them, but Dianna really didn't like the idea of watching these monsters rape and pillage around the city. Even joining in to the battle with Efran Sand felt like a more desirable option. Besides, it could offer me a way to escape the city.

[Follow Bjorn] [Follow Efran]

• [Stay with Illor]

Illor :'( I just knew there would be painful losses in this battle and it seems I have been proven right, as much as I would have loved to be proven wrong this time. And I fear this is far from over, because the battle itself isn't over either. While I think our PoV's will remain safe here, there are many supporting characters I wouldn't want to lose. Illor was among them until now, but there could have been even more painful losses. Given that I am absolutely certain that he won't be the only named character to die during this siege, I now fear for some of the others. Lien is probably very high up on that list, so I was very tempted to go with her and might change my vote for that option later on. Right now however, I am too sad about Illor not to choose this. He was a good friend for Nealia and now he is dying, so the least she can do is not to let him die alone, because I doubt she can ever forgive herself in such a case.

[Follow Bjorn]

This is a choice I found even harder. I don't want Dianna to stay with Bjorn and his men too long, because that'd be just as bad for her health as not winning his trust. However, that is very much the thing, she has to win Bjorn's trust. More than that, she has to absolutely convince him that she is loyal to him. He is a smart man and fooling him will be anything but easy. At the same time, as odd as it sounds, I trust him far more than I trust Efran. In a way, he seems to be willing to give Dianna a chance and I trust him that he is a man of his word, not the kind that would screw her over. Efran meanwhile, I do not trust him even that much. Even if Dianna wins his trust, I doubt he would let her go. Bjorn meanwhile, he could grow careless around her, could start to consider her one of his raiders. An if he leaves Efran's service after this battle, this might be the only chance she gets to win his trust enough to be put into a position to save Lysera. If she throws her lot in with Efran and Bjorn leaves, then Lysera would be lost.

Nealia Nealia Sand followed after Lien Yu, running the battlements of Lemonwood towards the western gatehouse of the city. As she glanced

• Thanks! =) I liked making this so most likely I'll make ones for the other books as well. And just like in this one, the sigils definitely will play a role in the covers, just with a little twist. Like in this one, it's the new martell sigil with spear going through a sun, except the sun is black, as in the black sun of the Dryland's. Anyway, I can already guarantee I'll work the Manwoody sigil into one of the covers in some way, it's just too epic and fitting imagery not to use :p

Wait... I totally haven't noticed the black sun as a hint at the Dryland sigil D:

That just made this cover even more awesome! This makes me even more excited for what you have planned for the future covers. Ah, I cannot wait to see them :D I guess the Book 2 cover will heavily feature the Dayne's, but if there's a twist, maybe it won't be only them. Though given that I currently expect the Fowler's to not kneel until Book 3 has started, I don't know what it could be. And the Manwoody sigil is indeed the most epic of the dornish houses! It's probably going to be far away, but I legitimately cannot wait to see what you have planned there.

Indeed, in Book 4 King Yorick will be the center of attention, along with Nymeria of course. What comes to the other books though, well, you have some good speculation there, and as you bring up it won't be all the time just Nymeria versus one of the Kings, there will be times when she is actively in conflict with many of them. And while there will be alliances between the kings, well, let's just say some of these kings just aren't that good at working together :p

In a way, I guess she already is in conflict with more than one, given that the Dayne's are already supporting House Dryland. Though I guess that'll mean military conflict with more than one kingdom at the same time, which isn't quite the case yet. While this could mean that the Yronwood's and Blackmont's will fight side by side against the Martell's, it might also mean that the Fowler's and Manwoody's will play a part in it as well. That would make as much as four kingdoms potentially, unless one of these (money on the Fowler's) surrenders in Book 2 already. Ah, the hype is real!

A cover, I see! This looks very nice, I love the style. Makes me hyped for future books if they all receive similar covers It also makes me

• [Stay with Illor]
    [Follow Bjorn]

Nealia Nealia Sand followed after Lien Yu, running the battlements of Lemonwood towards the western gatehouse of the city. As she glanced

• [Stay with Illor]

This is really a sad situation. I guess it is a good thing that she stayed with him the previous night. I think he needs her there, in his final hours. I believe Nealia was closest with Illor, in the Rose Company. Perhaps, she can comfort him until he passes.

[Follow Bjorn]

Staying with them, might be her only chance to gain their trust. That way, when they least expect it, she can rescue Lysera and escape. Then she can report her findings to Nymeria.

• [Stay with Illor]

[Follow Bjorn]

• [Stay with Illor]

[Follow Efran]

• Voting is closed!

Nealia will stay with Illor. Well, I expected you to choose this, and it should make a pretty emotional part. It's very unlikely that Illor could survive from his injury, but Nealia is there with him for his last moments, which certainly means a lot to him.

And Dianna will follow Bjorn and his Ironborn crew, as they continue raiding the town of Lemonwood. As you brought up, sticking with Bjorn could be a great way to build trust, which might give Dianna an advantage of some sort in the future.

(To whoever submitted Hilsgurd Drumm: He was clearly based on the first appearance of Roryn, when he was still unnamed, but don't worry - just because Roryn is a thing doesn't mean I couldn't include Hilsgurd as well! The backstory will be changed a bit, but he will stay very much the same character. And in relation to Roryn, Hilsgurd will be his younger brother.)

Alright, what comes to the next part, it'll be an Emerson PoV, concluding his Chapter 2 storyline. The part is like 90% ready, so I should get it done today :) The last time we saw Emerson he went to see his cousin Esperence, who was hiding with Emmett in the city, preparing to help the Martell's take over Godsgrace. Esperence told that the gates of the city would be opened to Nymeria without resistance, and she had also gathered a small force to march with the Martell's. She offered Emerson the chance to lead her forces, and that way enter the city as a hero and take his place as the Lord of Godsgrace, casting Morgan aside. However, Emerson wasn't convinced that this is the right thing to do, and decided to return to his uncle, Lord Morgan. The next part will start with a conversation between the two.

• Emerson

Emerson could see the anger and disappointment in the eyes of Lord Morgan as he sat opposed to him in the lord's office. This was the reaction Emerson had expected from his uncle, after revealing to him the plans of Esperence.

"Treason", Morgan hissed, his fists clenched. "No honor, no shame... I cannot believe she is my daughter." Emerson gulped, still feeling conflicted. Morgan was right, what Esperence was doing was treason, there was no way around it. Still, throughout his childhood Esperence had been like a sister to Emerson, whereas Morgan had treated him like dirt. On top of that, Emerson had swore by the gods that he wouldn't expose his cousin's plans to Morgan. However, this time Emerson just had to put his emotions aside, and do what was best for House Allyrion.

"What are your plans now?" Emerson asked carefully, and his uncle's expression looked to soften, if only marginally. "I will make sure this house will survive, and keep its independence", Morgan answered sternly. A couple seconds of silence followed, and then Morgan continued. "And you will have a role to play in that, boy."

"And what is my role?" Emerson asked calmly. "Will I lead the forces against the Martell's?"

"No", Morgan answered swiftly, letting out a sigh. "If what you say about Esperence's plans is true, the Martell's will take over the city. Our forces alone won't be enough to stop them, and I am not putting my trust on Lucifer. Sure, the Dryland's might march here later, but it would be foolish to hope that King Lucifer actually cares about our survival. Who else could help us then? House Vaith is weak, a dying house soon to be swallowed by King Lucifer, and the Gargalen's won't lift a finger to help us. We have only one ally left."

Emerson didn't have to think about it for long. "You mean the Jordayne's", he stated, rather than asked, and Lord Morgan nodded to him. "Our houses are bind together by marriage, and we need to remind them about it."

"But... they are vassals of the Yronwood's", Emerson remarked with some concern, and Morgan nodded. "Indeed, which is why I have avoided calling for their aid for so long", the Lord of Godsgrace said bitterly. "The Jordayne's are strong, and the one whom they serve is even stronger, but it is a risk we must take now... thanks to Esperence."

"So, you will send a raven to the Tor?" Emerson now asked, still wondering what exactly was his role in this. "I will," Morgan admitted, "but that will not be enough. I need you to go there and meet Lord Terren face to face, as well as bring Lady Vita to the home of her childhood."

"But why?" Emerson blurted out, which made his uncle frown. He quickly continued. "I mean, I understand you want to have Vita somewhere safe, but why must I go? Why not send Ser Niclas?"

"Because you are the future of this house", Morgan answered with a grim tone, raising his chin as he looked at his nephew. "For the better or worse." Emerson shook his head, confused. "And that is exactly why I need to be here, to rally the people to our side, not hiding in the Tor!" As he yelled this, Morgan stood up from his chair, a furious stare in his eyes.

"You will not disobey my orders, boy", he said, his voice quiet but threatening. Emerson let out a sigh, turning his gaze down. "I'm sorry, my lord", he muttered, but the furious stare on Morgan's eyes remained.

"Tomorrow you will begin your ride to the Tor", he said strictly, walking next to Emerson. "There you will hand Lady Vita to the protection of her brother, and plead for him to march to Godsgrace with his army."

"But why would they listen to me?" Emerson asked quietly. "Our houses might be bind together by your marriage to Vita, but there is no Jordayne blood in me."

"An inconvenience, yes, but they will still want to help us", Morgan replied. "Esperence might be the niece of Lord Terren, but he would never side with the Martell's – the house that has threatened to conquer the lands of King Yorick Yronwood." Emerson nodded with a sigh. It was clear then, he would travel to the Tor, leaving Godsgrace behind in its most desperate hour. He stood up from his chair and looked Morgan to the eyes.

"I'll do it", Emerson stated firmly, and a thin smile was formed on his uncle's face. "For House Allyrion."

-

It was already late in the evening, but Emerson had decided to visit the crypts one more time before his journey to the Tor. In the light of the candles, Emerson looked at the stony face of Mason Allyrion's statue. Emerson wondered who would his father had sided with in this war, had he lived. Perhaps Mason would've agreed with Esperence, seeing the Martell's as the best option. Emerson shook these thoughts away – he had to trust he was doing the right thing. He didn't want anything bad to his cousins, and he hoped that once this conflict would be over they could still somehow be a family. However, part of him knew that there was no going back, Esperence was his enemy now, just as he was her enemy.

"Father, if you're somewhere watching this all... I hope I can make you proud", Emerson said quietly. His words were followed by silence. However, suddenly he heard a quiet step behind him. Instinctively Emerson spun around, seeing a lean figure of a woman standing about a dozen feet away from him. It was hard to recognize her in the dark, but Emerson could tell she was Lia.

"Did Esperence send you here to kill me?" Emerson hissed, his heart pounding in his chest, but Lia shook her head calmly. "If she wanted you dead, she would've had you killed when you said you will go back to Morgan", the cold and emotionless voice of Lia said. "No, she simply wanted me to tell you something."

"What? That she is going to win?" Emerson asked sternly. Now Lia chuckled, but shook her head again. "No, she wanted you to know that just like with Morgan, you will also be shown mercy once the Martell's take over."

"You can tell her that I will have no need for her mercy", Emerson said defiantly.

"I will", Lia replied coldly, and Emerson thought he could see a smirk on her face. Without any more words, Lia turned around and disappeared into the darkness. Emerson remained standing by the grave of his father for several minutes, before finally making his way out of the crypts.

-

It was almost noon, and the convoy was almost ready to leave. Everything had been packed, and the twenty guards led by Ser Niclas Wyne, who would escort Emerson and Vita were armed and ready to go. However, Lady Vita was still in her chambers, no doubt confused about what was going on.

Emerson made his way inside the chambers, seeing Lord Morgan's wife sitting on a chair next to a small round table. Vita turned her gaze to Emerson, the usual distressed look on her hazel eyes. From his childhood Emerson remembered Vita as a beautiful lady with sharp – even if also troubled – mind, which made this shadow of a woman she was now all the more depressing sight. She was pale and skinny, and looking much older than she actually was. Her mind had been dulled by years of drinking, and her demeanor made it look like she was constantly under stress.

"Lady Vita", Emerson said with a respectful tone, bowing to her. "It is time to go."

"Go... where?" Vita asked with shaky words. Emerson stepped calmly closer to her, and tried to smile. "To home, my Lady", he answered softly, but it didn't seem to comfort her much.

"To Uncle Edam?" She asked after a drawn out moment of silence, a weak and fragile smile forming on her face now. Emerson didn't know much about Edam Jordayne, but he did know that the man had been dead for half a decade. "Perhaps", he answered with a forced smile. It felt wrong to give false hope to this broken woman, but Emerson knew that in a few hours Vita wouldn't even remember this conversation – her mind dwelled on the days long gone. Emerson offered his hand to Vita, who grabbed it carefully, standing up from her chair.

In silence Emerson escorted the lady to the courtyard, where the convoy was already waiting – as well as Lord Morgan. Emerson and Morgan helped Lady Vita on her horse, and after that Morgan pulled his nephew to the side.

"Make sure she won't get hurt", Morgan said sternly. It would've sounded like a threat, but Emerson knew that was just Morgan being concerned for his wife. As broken as this family was, Emerson had to admit that at least Morgan still felt something for Vita. "I will", he promised with a humble tone.

"If anyone tries to attack you on the way – be it Esperence's thugs, Martell's, or the bloody Dryland's – your job is to escape with Lady Vita. Leave the fighting to Ser Niclas and the guards." Morgan spoke with serious and quiet words, looking Emerson to the eyes. "And are we to expect an attack?" Emerson asked quietly.

"If Esperence shows as little love for her mother as she has shown for her father... Yes, it's possible", Morgan responded grimly. As they stood there in silence, Emerson thought that for a moment he could see something else than the usual anger and coldness in his uncle's eyes. Perhaps it was concern for his wife, perhaps just disappointment in his daughter, but in this moment there was vulnerability in Morgan's blue eyes.

"You are the future of House Allyrion, Emerson", he finally said, letting out a sigh. "I... I know I wasn't a good father to you, not nearly as good as Mason would've been. I don't ask you to forgive me, I know I've given you too many scars for you to just forget – I never forgot mine." Morgan paused, taking in a deep breath, before continuing. "One day you'll have children of your own, and when that day comes, don't repeat my mistakes."

Emerson gulped, surprised by this honesty from his uncle. He wasn't quite sure how to respond. Throughout his childhood and youth Emerson's relationship with Morgan had been filled with bitterness, violence and neglect. After all that, could he even bring himself to show any gratitude, or even forgiveness, for this man?

[Thank Morgan] [Say that you forgive him] [Just say goodbye]

• edited May 2017

Aaaah, I feel very conflicted about our latest choice. Sure, most of us voted for Morgan, me included, but of course we know that the Martell's would be the better option when it comes to Emerson's loyalty. It's just that Esperence is surely not the better option. This part convinced me of it. So, she sends her top henchwoman to make sure that Emerson knows he will be shown mercy? Yeah, no. I doubt he, of all people, can expect any mercy because if he is left alive, he will always pose a threat to Esperence's rule, which I am sure is her end goal. At best she will pull a Nym on him and allow him to join the Night's Watch, which I guess could be seen as mercy. At worst... well, a quick death can be mercy as well, from a certain standpoint. However, I am sure her plan will succeed for a time and allying with the Jordayne's, it means that a later alliance with the Martell's becomes even less likely for Emerson. I am really, really conflicted as to what was the better choice for him in the end, but I guess Morgan might be a better ally than Esperence at least.

[Just say goodbye]

Yeah, fuck Morgan. So, now he decides to make up for over twenty years of neglect and abuse? It's not only the way he treats Emerson, it is the fact that he is an overall disgusting piece of shit. There is the implied heavy abuse he puts his wife through, there is the way he treats his only son, his nephew and well, as much as I don't trust Esperence, I can't help but feel sorry for her for having to grow up with such a massive tool as a father. I can surely understand how she became such a schemer. So, no, I don't want to forgive him, because he does not deserve any forgiveness. I don't even buy that he is truly sorry. I don't want to thank him, because what for? It's a small wonder that Emerson grew up as such a well-adjusted guy and surely, Morgan had no hand in that. Saying goodbye is almost too good for him. I hope this is the last time Emerson has to suffer the presence of this abusive swine and that whatever Esperence is going to do in his absence will involve the death of his uncle.

Emerson Emerson could see the anger and disappointment in the eyes of Lord Morgan as he sat opposed to him in the lord's office. This was

• Aaaah, I feel very conflicted about our latest choice. Sure, most of us voted for Morgan, me included, but of course we know that the Martell's would be the better option when it comes to Emerson's loyalty. It's just that Esperence is surely not the better option. This part convinced me of it. So, she sends her top henchwoman to make sure that Emerson knows he will be shown mercy? Yeah, no. I doubt he, of all people, can expect any mercy because if he is left alive, he will always pose a threat to Esperence's rule, which I am sure is her end goal. At best she will pull a Nym on him and allow him to join the Night's Watch, which I guess could be seen as mercy. At worst... well, a quick death can be mercy as well, from a certain standpoint. However, I am sure her plan will succeed for a time and allying with the Jordayne's, it means that a later alliance with the Martell's becomes even less likely for Emerson. I am really, really conflicted as to what was the better choice for him in the end, but I guess Morgan might be a better ally than Esperence at least.

Yeah, Esperence sending Lia to tell that Emerson will be "shown mercy", is basically her saying that 1. I'm going to win this conflict, and 2. I may not kill you, but you sure as hell won't be the Lord of Godsgrace (which was what she originally offered to Emerson had he sided with her). Esperence trusts heavily on the success of Nymeria, and of course we know that trust is well placed. However, that doesn't mean that siding with Nymeria now is a guarantee that everything go well. Sure, Nym will eventually win the war, but it will be a bloody long war with many twists and turns. So, to put it shortly, it's still very much up in the air which option will be better in the long run.

Yeah, fuck Morgan. So, now he decides to make up for over twenty years of neglect and abuse? It's not only the way he treats Emerson, it is the fact that he is an overall disgusting piece of shit. There is the implied heavy abuse he puts his wife through, there is the way he treats his only son, his nephew and well, as much as I don't trust Esperence, I can't help but feel sorry for her for having to grow up with such a massive tool as a father. I can surely understand how she became such a schemer. So, no, I don't want to forgive him, because he does not deserve any forgiveness. I don't even buy that he is truly sorry. I don't want to thank him, because what for? It's a small wonder that Emerson grew up as such a well-adjusted guy and surely, Morgan had no hand in that. Saying goodbye is almost too good for him. I hope this is the last time Emerson has to suffer the presence of this abusive swine and that whatever Esperence is going to do in his absence will involve the death of his uncle.

Morgan and Vita actually had another son long ago, born before both Esperence and Emmett, who died very young. And I can tell you that if that son had lived, Morgan wouldn't be even this decent to Emerson. So yeah, his regretfulness and almost apologising to Emerson in this part could definitely be seen as disingenuous. Morgan has just simply come to terms with the fact that Emerson is the only option he has for an heir. He still doesn't really respect him or love him, but he just respects Emmett and Esperence even less at this point. I guess you could kinda compare this to the situation when Tywin thought that Jaime could be a goner when he was caught in the Whispering Wood, and sort of started to treat Tyrion as his son and heir for a moment - until Jaime was back again. Well, difference here of course is that there is no Jaime to come back, so Morgan will have to keep treating Emerson as his heir. But yeah, he is an abusive asshole, no doubt about that.

Aaaah, I feel very conflicted about our latest choice. Sure, most of us voted for Morgan, me included, but of course we know that the Martel

• edited May 2017

[Just say goodbye] After reading the previous comment, now I think this is the best answer, because despite how sincere he was, Morgan is still an asshat to his children and nephew for most of their lives.

Looking at the map, The Tor is slightly nearer to Godsgrace than Sandship is, which means that if the Jordayne's do get involved, Nym will face a bigger opposition than what Esperance assured her. That means she will need more troops, either from Spottswood or Ghost Hill. And there's solving the taking of Lemonwood, sooner or later she will find out and she will retake Lemonwood for the Dalts, since its highly unlikely Nymeria would accept the rule of Efran Sand.

Emerson Emerson could see the anger and disappointment in the eyes of Lord Morgan as he sat opposed to him in the lord's office. This was

• So to the Jordayne's Emerson goes. Well part of me was expecting this after the last choice, House Allyrion needs all the help they can get, and at least the Yronwood's are a sturdier choice than the Dryland's destined to fall by the end of this book. This gives at least some hope for Emerson's survival, but the chances for Morgan may be looking grim. It does bring up many questions though as to how Emerson will be treated at the Tor. It's definitely a better family than his own, but he's not connected to them in any way really, and seeing just how much Vita has descended in her health will be a striking alarm for the Jordayne's. Also convincing Lord Terren to fight against his half-wit nephew and niece will be a hard feat to pull off. Let's hope he's as patriotic as Morgan makes him out to be.

[Thank Morgan]

Alright, we can definitely agree that Morgan isn't the greatest father figure out there, and that's putting it lightly. He's an abusive piece of shit, which is not my proudest makings, but I think Liquid summed up his personality pretty well. However, he's all that Emerson has now, and the time for internal conflict and fighting has passed. Sides have been made, and as much as there are differences and a lot of bad history between Morgan and Emerson, that needs to be pushed aside. They're in a time of war, and potentially the end of their house from their standpoint. I can't expect Emerson to ever forgive the things that Morgan has done to him, just as I can't ever see Morgan seeing the rationale of his own father's abuse to him, which was far worse than anything Morgan has put onto Emerson. I don't believe that's good cover to hide behind, but as I said, Morgan is the only ally Emerson has now, and causing further conflict with him is only going to end out worse for Emerson.

• [Thank Morgan]l

• Looking at the map, The Tor is slightly nearer to Godsgrace than Sandship is, which means that if the Jordayne's do get involved, Nym will face a bigger opposition than what Esperance assured her. That means she will need more troops, either from Spottswood or Ghost Hill. And there's solving the taking of Lemonwood, sooner or later she will find out and she will retake Lemonwood for the Dalts, since its highly unlikely Nymeria would accept the rule of Efran Sand.

Indeed, the Tor is slightly closer to Godsgrace than Sandship. That said, Nymeria's army is already about to begin their march, whereas Emerson will first have to go to the Tor, escorting a woman in weak state no less. Then, he will have to convince the Jordayne's to help, and it isn't guaranteed that they'll want to do that. And lastly, while the road between Godsgrace and the Tor is a fairly good road to travel (since there is a lot of trade between these houses), traveling along the Greenblood is still the easier route. So, taking notice of all these things, it's still very likely that Nym's army will arrive to Godsgrace before Emerson can bring any reinforcements from the Tor. However, as you said the situation in Lemonwood will definitely be a distraction for the Martell's.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Just say goodbye] After reading the previous comment, now I think this is the best answer, because despite how sincere he was, Morgan is st

• So to the Jordayne's Emerson goes. Well part of me was expecting this after the last choice, House Allyrion needs all the help they can get, and at least the Yronwood's are a sturdier choice than the Dryland's destined to fall by the end of this book. This gives at least some hope for Emerson's survival, but the chances for Morgan may be looking grim. It does bring up many questions though as to how Emerson will be treated at the Tor. It's definitely a better family than his own, but he's not connected to them in any way really, and seeing just how much Vita has descended in her health will be a striking alarm for the Jordayne's. Also convincing Lord Terren to fight against his half-wit nephew and niece will be a hard feat to pull off. Let's hope he's as patriotic as Morgan makes him out to be.

Yeah, well Morgan hopes that he can ask for the help of the Jordayne's without the Yronwood's themselves getting involved, but it might not quite work that way. And knowing that Yorick has ambitions to expand his kingdom, he might see this as an opportunity to do just that. But you're right, if anything the Yronwood's should be a sturdier ally than the Dryland's. And while there shouldn't be any reason for the Jordayne's to have anything against Emerson himself, they might not really be pleased with the state that Vita is in. And considering that she is what this whole "alliance" is based on, eh, might not be a good thing :D

Stigz_52 posted: »

So to the Jordayne's Emerson goes. Well part of me was expecting this after the last choice, House Allyrion needs all the help they can get,

• Yeah, Esperence sending Lia to tell that Emerson will be "shown mercy", is basically her saying that 1. I'm going to win this conflict, and 2. I may not kill you, but you sure as hell won't be the Lord of Godsgrace (which was what she originally offered to Emerson had he sided with her). Esperence trusts heavily on the success of Nymeria, and of course we know that trust is well placed. However, that doesn't mean that siding with Nymeria now is a guarantee that everything go well. Sure, Nym will eventually win the war, but it will be a bloody long war with many twists and turns. So, to put it shortly, it's still very much up in the air which option will be better in the long run.

Considering that I really doubt her offer has been honest the first time it was made, that is fine for me. I mean, I am pretty sure Esperence will get some quick success with her plan, but ultimately, I feel she is acting too quickly. If the Martell's would already be close to Godsgrace, she might have a chance at holding the city, but right now, I think that Emerson might be better off with the Yronwood's at first, though ultimately, he can side with the Martell's himself, even if this mean that Esperence has to be taken care of.

Morgan and Vita actually had another son long ago, born before both Esperence and Emmett, who died very young. And I can tell you that if that son had lived, Morgan wouldn't be even this decent to Emerson. So yeah, his regretfulness and almost apologising to Emerson in this part could definitely be seen as disingenuous. Morgan has just simply come to terms with the fact that Emerson is the only option he has for an heir. He still doesn't really respect him or love him, but he just respects Emmett and Esperence even less at this point. I guess you could kinda compare this to the situation when Tywin thought that Jaime could be a goner when he was caught in the Whispering Wood, and sort of started to treat Tyrion as his son and heir for a moment - until Jaime was back again. Well, difference here of course is that there is no Jaime to come back, so Morgan will have to keep treating Emerson as his heir. But yeah, he is an abusive asshole, no doubt about that.

Tywin! That is whom he reminds me of. Tywin fucking Lannister at his absolute worst. Even then, I think Tywin never used physical violence on his children, at least as far as I remember. It's been some time since I last read the book though, so I might be wrong on that one. But that would actually make Morgan even less likable than Tywin. Oh man, the more thought I put into this, the more likely it seems that I have a new addition to my list of least favourite characters. Given that it is not all that easy to be a part of said list, it's quite the achievement that Morgan managed to do so jut by being such a terrible person. It also makes me even more certain that his regret over how he treated Emerson is absolutely fake.

Aaaah, I feel very conflicted about our latest choice. Sure, most of us voted for Morgan, me included, but of course we know that the Martel

• [Just say goodbye]

• Voting is closed!

And Emerson will just say goodbye to his uncle before leaving Godsgrace. Honestly, I don't think Morgan deserves anything more than that, and he probably isn't really expecting anything more from Emerson. Emerson could've thanked Morgan about making him the heir, but it's not like Morgan had any other real options, and he was the one who usurped Emerson's place as the Lord in the first place. So yeah, I don't think he really deserves Emerson's gratitude. And what comes to forgiveness, well, maybe it would've been good to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones, considering that Emerson and Morgan are basically now on the same side. However, Morgan doesn't really deserve that either, since he barely even seems to acknowledge his faults, and hasn't really even asked for forgiveness. So yeah, just saying goodbye and leaving is probably the most natural action for Emerson here. Anyway, in the next chapter his storyline shall continue in the Tor, introducing us to the Jordayne's! :)

The next part will take us back to the Battle for Vaith, but it won't be a Dalia PoV! No, actually it will be a whole new PoV. Well, the character has already been introduced, but he has been non-PoV so far. I feel like you might guess who I'm talking about :p Anyway, just to recap, in the latest part of Dalia, the Wild Suns and their allies arrived to Vaith. However, before attacking the city itself, they first had to get past a bridge, which was occupied by a small defensive force. Dalia decided to send the Unsullied to take over the bridge, and that is where we'll continue. The part might be ready later today, but more likely is that it'll take me until tomorrow to get it done.

However, we might get another H&L before that, or not, I'm not sure :D

-

Aand here is a portrait for Lady Vita Allyrion:

• edited May 2017

Ah man, I'm pretty sure this is the first voting for the entire story that I have missed out on. I would have chosen this option though so I suppose it works out :D Great part!

Voting is closed! And Emerson will just say goodbye to his uncle before leaving Godsgrace. Honestly, I don't think Morgan deserves anythi

• Ah, admittedly the voting was closed pretty quickly - mainly cause I wanted to make sure there won't be a tie :D But anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the part!

CM3434 posted: »

Ah man, I'm pretty sure this is the first voting for the entire story that I have missed out on. I would have chosen this option though so I suppose it works out Great part!

• edited May 2017

[Just say goodbye]

Edit: Oh nvm, voting is closed.

• The next part will take us back to the Battle for Vaith, but it won't be a Dalia PoV! No, actually it will be a whole new PoV. Well, the character has already been introduced, but he has been non-PoV so far. I feel like you might guess who I'm talking about :p

Ah, yes, I know just the guy you talk about. I for one am excited for our Red Maggot PoV! Jokes aside, it's totally Kris, isn't it? That said, I would enjoy a Laroy PoV as well, that guy seriously grew on me while I prepared the TvTropes page =) In terms of potential, I could see both of them having quite a lot of stuff to do in the battle for Vaith, with Myra, Valerie and Jamison. Ah, I look forward for it!

However, we might get another H&L before that, or not, I'm not sure :D

We will, we will! I really hope this one will be enjoyable to y'all :)

Voting is closed! And Emerson will just say goodbye to his uncle before leaving Godsgrace. Honestly, I don't think Morgan deserves anythi

• Nymeria's War – Histories&Lore

Gwendis Blackmont – Ambition

"Gwendis", her father said softly. "Wake up. She felt the bed moving under his weight, as he lay down next to her, his hand gently moving through her hair. A smile formed on her face, as she tried her best not to move, while her father started to tickle her neck. "Little Gwen, wake up", he whispered in her ear and she giggled. "Wake up"

"Let the child sleep, Ben", her mother added. "If she does not want to, she doesn't have to. I can deal with them on my own. The lords and knights and commoners of Blackmont. Let's just leave, she needs her sleep" Her father stopped tickling her neck. "Hm, you have a point, Val", he replied. Once again, the bed moved as he stood up again. "Good night, my little princess", he added.

Instantly, Gwendis jumped up. "Wait!", she yelled and her parents turned around, both smiling. "Wait for me!" In fact, she had waited for them. She knew that today would be a big day and she had been looking forward for it for… a long time, yes. She was even dressed already, having lied down in her bed awake for what must have been hours. She rushed towards her parents and into her father's open arms. He lifted her up and she squealed in joy as he turned around. For a moment, Gwendis felt as if she could fly. Then, he put her into her mother's arms, who gently let her back to the ground.

“Oh, now you want to come?”, she asked and with childish enthusiasm, Gwendis nodded. “I want to see the lords”, she said. “And the knights and even the commoners” She frowned. “Even if they stink” Mother raised an eyebrow. “Really?”, she asked. “Who said they stink?”

“Naemon”, she answered truthfully, her eyes widely opened, wondering if she just said something wrong. However, her mother just mildly shook her head. “Oh, that boy”, she mumbled with a smile. “Commoners don't stink, not more than lords or knights”

“True”, a voice from the doorframe sounded and Ser Kegan Drinkwater glanced into the room. “Good morning, princess”, the young knight said and Gwendis gave him a polite curtsy, like the one her mother showed her. “Ser Kegan”, she greeted him.

“No, really”, Kegan continued. “In my day, I have met a couple of commoners who smelled very nice, particularly the women” A confused look appeared on Gwendis' face, while her father grinned knowingly. Her mother though narrowed her eyes. “Kegan”, she said sharply. “My daughter is six years old. She doesn't have to hear this”

Apologetically, Kegan gave her a nod. “Apologies, your grace. Little princess”, he said, before he turned to the king. “One of your… guests wishes to speak to you, my king” Instantly, Gwendis noticed how her mother's smile faded. Father sighed, though he gave Ser Kegan a nod. “Tell him I'll be there in a minute”

“Benedict”, Mother said sharply and her father looked at her. He reached for her hand. “This could be important”, he told her. “Some of the newcomers, Val, they have powers of a kind you cannot imagine” Mother narrowed her eyes. “Of a kind I don't want to imagine”, she replied. “Is this really necessary? Your court awaits”

Father gave her a nod, before he lovingly kissed her hand. “You can do this as well”, he said. “And make sure that Gwendis learns a thing or two” Mother sighed in frustration, though the smile she gave Gwendis was sweet and warm. “Gwenny, why don't you wait outside? Me and your father have to discuss something”

Gwendis gulped as she saw them like this. “But… but please don't fight”, she said. To this, her mother smiled. “I promise you, we won't”, she answered. Reluctantly, Gwendis followed her wish, as she stepped out into the hallway, hearing her mother closing the door behind her.

She glanced around, hoping to see Ser Kegan somewhere. He was nice. And indeed she saw him, standing on the other end of the hallway, where he looked out of one of the windows that overlooked the valley. As she approached him, her gaze fell onto the open door to her right and to the man who almost looked as if he wanted to hide in the shadows behind.

He was the tallest man Gwendis had ever seen, perhaps the tallest man in the entire world. He was taller than Ser Kegan, even taller than father. Most of his face was hidden behind a hood, something Gwendis considered to be very suspicious, though he had a very short beard.

Taking a deep breath, she stopped next to him and he looked down at her from below his hood. “Can I help you?”, she asked sharply. “These are the royal quarters!” The man smirked and she narrowed her eyes at his amusement. He wasn't taking her seriously, but then again, Gwendis knew enough of the world to know that a girl of six years might not have the most authority.

“Is that so?”, he replied. His voice was strange, with an accent Gwendis had never heard before. “Then I am quite right here, for I wish to speak to King Benedict. You must be Queen Valaena, I presume” Being compared to her mother caused Gwendis to blush and though she did not trust this man, a smile appeared on her face. “Close”, she answered. “I am Gwendis Blackmont, nice to meet you!” Politely, as her mother had taught her, she extended her hand and the hooded man shook her. His own hand was twice as big as hers and oddly cold, despite the heat inside the castle.

“Syrenho of Lys”, he introduced himself. “My princess, it is an honour. Had I known that Blackmont was home to such a smart little girl, I would have brought presents” Gwendis' smile faded. “I don't need presents”, she said. “I'm not a little girl after all. I am almost seven”

Syrenho raised an eyebrow. “I see”, he replied. “Well, but my presents are presents for grown ups. I create potions. Perhaps when your high father considers it suitable, I can give you a taste of what I have to offer”

Just as Gwendis was about to answer, the door got thrown open and Mother walked out, visibly frustrated. Her glare fell upon the hooded man and she approached both. “What are you doing with my daughter?”, she demanded to know and Gwendis smiled brightly. “Mother, this is Syrenho”, she said. “He is nice”

Syrenho bowed down in front of Mother. “Syrenho of Lys, my Queen Valaena”, he said. “It is my pleasure. Tales of your beauty have reached my ears before and I see the truth exceeds them by far” He smiled, quite charmingly as Gwendis thought and gave the princess a wink. “May I add, your daughter seems to grow up as your spitting image”

Mother's glare hadn't faded, not in the slightest. “Spare me the flattery”, she growled. “Your lot has to stay away from my daughter at all times, have I made myself clear?” Syrenho was quick to nod. “Apologies, my queen”, he said. “Your daughter approached me, to be honest. But I can assure you, we only had a nice chat”

In this moment, Father entered the hallway and Mother turned towards him. “Benedict”, she said and pointed at Syrenho. “This man has talked to our daughter!” Concern appeared on her father's face, as he approached them. He glanced at the hooded man. “Syrenho, is that right?”, he asked.

Now, Syrenho smiled. “Ah, your grace remembers my name”, he said. “Yes, I am Syrenho, the alchemist. Apologies for being so direct, but I have finished the potion your grace requested. It has to be consumed within the next hour and we have further preparations to make”

In confusion, Gwendis looked from her father, to Syrenho, to her mother. Mother was clearly displeased, but she didn't saw any reason to. The man hadn't done anything bad, right? He was looking scary, but he was nice. She liked him.

“I see...”, Father said and Mother gave him a sharp glare. “Benedict, you know I don't want these people up here. What would have happened if I wouldn't have been around? Our daughter lives here, our son sleeps in the next room...”

Gwendis glanced at the door next to hers. Naemon's room. He was sleeping. She found it a bit unfair that he got to sleep longer. Sure, she wanted to be a part of today, while he had cried until Mother allowed him to sleep, but she still found it unfair. A yawn came out of her throat, louder than she had intended and Father looked at her. A smile formed on his face. “I think our little princess is bored”, he said. “Come, Val, bring her to the throne room”

“I really think you should be present”, Mother said and Father shook his head. “You have always been better than me”, he answered. “I deal with Syrenho here and next time, I will sit on the throne again” Mother rolled her eyes, those purple eyes that were so similar to Gwendis', before she shot a glare towards the hooded man. “And you, stay away from my daughter”, she barked.

Politely, Syrenho nodded. “As you wish, your grace”, he promised. “But maybe we could continue this talk? I can assure you, my potions are harmless. Once you have the time, I can give you one that will make you feel more… lively”

Mother shook her head. “This will never happen”, she promised. “And I don't need it. Two children are more than enough to keep me alive” She looked at Father. “Ben, make sure this won't happen again. These… people talking to my daughter, nothing good can come out of this”

Father sighed, though he gave her a nod. “I will think of something, Valaena”, he promised. He came closer and gave her a loving kiss on the lips. Seeing this display of affection caused Gwendis to smile. She wanted the same one day, a man who truly loved her. But that wasn't all she wanted. There was more, a lot more.

As he looked at his daughter, Father sighed. “Seven, she looks so much like you”, he stated. Mother followed his gaze and smiled. “She got your eyes”, she replied. Father tilted his head to this. “She clearly has yours”, he said and Mother shook her head. “I don't mean how they look, but what's inside them”, she replied and Gwendis smiled brightly at the attention her parents gave her. “You had the same look when we first met. Ambition”

“Ambition”, Father replied, before he turned to Gwendis. “Have a good day, then, my ambitious little princess” He reached down, to put a hand onto Gwendis' tiny shoulder. She smiled at him. “You too, Father”, she answered, before she hugged him, giving him a soft kiss onto the chin. He chuckled at this, before he separated again from her. He and Mother shared a loving gaze, though Mother's was tarnished by worry, before they went their separate ways. Mother and Gwendis walked down the hallway, to where Ser Kegan was waiting, whereas Father and Syrenho remained behind, talking with muffled voices.

“What did he tell you?”, Mother asked and Gwendis raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”, she replied and Mother sighed. “This… Syrenho. What did he say?”, she demanded to know. To this, Gwendis rolled her eyes. “He was very nice, Mother”, she answered. “He was not bad”

Wordlessly, Ser Kegan joined them as they passed him and once they turned around the corner and out of the hooded man's sight, Mother grabbed Gwendis by the shoulder, kneeling down next to her. “Listen”, she said sternly. “I want you to remember one thing, always. These people, they may seem nice, they may act as if they are your friends, as if they have your best interests at heart, but don't trust them. They are not your friends and all they want is to ruin you”

The way she said these words caused Gwendis to gulp. Sudden worry hit her, as she glanced back the way they came. “Are they ruining father?” she asked. For a moment, Mother seemed less strong than usual, which was shocking to Gwendis. She had always been the strongest person in the world, the most beautiful and the nicest and most loving of them all. Seeing her like this, it was not something Gwendis wanted to again. “I don't know, Gwen”, she admitted. “I don't know”

Ser Kegan cleared his throat, gaining the attention of Gwendis and her mother. “I don't want to interrupt anything, your grace, but the lords are waiting”, he said. Mother sighed. “Very well, Ser Kegan. Lead the way”, she spoke. “Whom will I speak to today?”

“Lord Tomard Blackadder”, he answered and he gave Gwendis a wink. “Or… Blackbladder, judging by the smell” Gwendis grinned widely, as a delicate chuckle came out of her mouth. Mother however sighed. “Kegan, what have I told you?”, she said and Kegan shrugged apologetically. “Hey, your daughter liked it, my queen”, he defended himself.

Mother threw a glance at Gwendis and smiled, a gesture that put full emphasis onto her beautiful face and caused the worry that had bothered her before to fall off. “Yes, I suppose that is correct”, she answered. “Consider your apology accepted. What does he want, our dear Lord… Blackbladder?”

To this, Gwendis tried to suppress outright laughter and Kegan grinned as he noticed her joy. “It is nothing too important, your grace”, he assured her. “Lord Tomard wishes for additional food to be sent to his villages. His people would starve otherwise. Well, I say if they are only half as fat as he is, they are just fine”

Mother's smile faded. “This is far from a small matter, Kegan”, she told him and Gwendis was eager to hear what she had to say. “Our people shall not starve. Nothing can cause a kingdom to collapse as quickly as starving peasants. And Tomard is no fool. I will hear what he has to say”

Kegan nodded slowly. He glanced at Gwendis and his smile returned. “Listen closely what your mother has to say, little princess”, he advised her. “She is a wise woman. The king can be glad to have someone like her at his side. Follow her advice and maybe you'll be a similar asset one day, at the side of your husband”

Gwendis nodded quickly. “Or maybe my husband will be at my side”, she said with enthusiasm in her voice. Kegan raised an eyebrow and started to chuckle. “Well, you really need the right husband then”, he answered. “A woman's role is to advise, not to lead”

To this, Gwendis looked at her mother in front of her. Kegan followed her glance, his gaze lingering on Mother for a little longer. “Our queen, she is a special one”, he said with reverence in his voice. “One out of thousand are put into her position and out of those, only one out of ten are any good at what they are doing. Blackmont couldn't have hoped for a better queen”

Mother looked over her shoulder and gave Kegan a bright smile. “Thank you, Ser”, she replied politely. “I am lucky to have my husband though. We shall see what lies ahead for Gwendis” Kegan nodded and Gwendis gave both a curious look. “What do you mean?”, she asked.

To this, Mother sighed. “One day, you will find a nice prince, one whom you will love and he will love you. You will marry and be his queen at his court”, she explained. Gwendis frowned at her words. Not so much at the loving part, that sounded nice, but the part where she had to leave her home. “And what court would this be?”

Kegan cleared his throat. “Albin Manwoody has a son in your age”, he replied, though Mother gave him a shocked look. “Not Manwoody”, she barked, before she sighed. “I don't know, Gwen. Maybe Ferris Fowler, or the Yronwood boy. Both men who will be king one day, men who could need a capable queen by their side”

Gwendis pressed her lips together. Gwendis Fowler… Gwendis Yronwood. They sounded wrong in the head of Gwendis Blackmont. Just wrong. Gwendis Manwoody? Seven, no! She shook her head. “Can I not stay here and be queen just like you?”, she asked thinly. “I don't want to be queen of somewhere else. This is my home!”

Mother raised an eyebrow, though she and Kegan exchanged a smile. “If you want to, my little princess”, she said. “If you want to, there is nothing you cannot do” Just in this moment, they had reached the doors of the Great Hall. Kegan walked past queen and princess, as he put his hands onto the doors. With a heavy groan, he pushed them open.

Behind, Gwendis saw a myriad of people. They must be hundreds and their voices formed a cacophony, even after the door got opened. There stood her father's guards, forming a gap through which the Queen of Blackmont, her daughter and the captain of the guard could pass.

With her mouth widely opened in astonishment and joyful surprise, Gwendis stared at the people. There were peasants, as Naemon had told her, though they weren't stinking, or at least she didn't smell anything. They were thin, but not in the way she and Naemon were, but they looked hungry. Instantly, pity moved her, as she remembered Mother's words.

She saw other people as well, visibly richer, with fine clothes, men to guard them, sometimes even knights by her sides. Half of the nobles of the kingdom had come for today, at least. Maybe even all of them. For a moment, it was surprising for Gwendis that her father ruled over so many people. Or that so many people could be in one place at all. With joy, she stared at the myriad of faces, the different clothes, the ways these men stood and looked around.

One man was there whom she recognized. Through the gap, the new Maester hurried to get to his queen's side. It was odd that Gwendis considered Maester Mortin to be the new Maester, given that he served her family for half of her life now, but she still had distant memories to the elderly man who had been the Maester before, until he had died. He had been nice, just like Maester Mortin. And he hadn't liked the hooded men her father was always speaking to, just like Mother.

“Silence for Queen Valaena of House Blackmont!”, Maester Mortin yelled, his voice echoing through the hall. “And her daughter, Princess Gwendis” He smiled as he spoke and Gwendis smiled back at him. In awe, she noticed how the men in the hall indeed grew silent, almost at once. This sudden silence was almost as stunning as the cacophony of their voices.

“My queen, I am glad you came”, Mortin said as he walked next to Mother, with Gwendis shortly behind them. “May I ask, where is King Benedict?” Valaena sighed. “The king has to attend important business”, she said briefly. Mortin gave her a nod. “But I see the young princess is giving us company instead”, he said. “Are you ready to learn, Gwendis?”

He said this in a voice that made even this exciting occurrence sound mundane and almost boring. Gwendis faked a playful yawn. “Learn?”, she moaned and Mortin sighed. Mother however smiled. “She got this from her father”, she assured the Maester and he smirked thinly. “You have a brilliant daughter”, he said. “It is about time she learns some of the truly important things in life”

This however gained Gwendis' attention and she looked up. Mortin smiled as he saw her sudden interest. “Ah, there she is”, he stated. “A queen in the making. There is ambition in your eyes, my princess, a rare and good trait for a woman to have”

“Don't give her ideas”, Mother said. “Seven know she already has too much a head of her own” She had reached the end of the crowd now, with Mortin and Gwendis behind her and Ser Kegan even farther behind.

Silently and with a dignity that left Gwendis in awe, Mother climbed the stairs to the throne and she sat down on it, so naturally, as if she had never done anything else. She was born to rule and Gwendis could only hope to be half the queen she was, one day.

As she had learned, she sat down on the smaller chair to her mother's left, while Maester Mortin sat down to her right. Ser Kegan remained standing at the lower end of the stairs, silently watching the crowd. Mother gave Mortin a look and the old maester cleared his throat. “The queen wishes to speak to Lord Tomard Blackadder!”, he proclaimed.

The young princess stared at this scenery in awe, a sort of astonishment and wonder that went beyond anything she had felt before. She had found her calling. And from the very moment her mother began to rule over her court, wise, kind, powerful and respected, Gwendis Blackmont knew that this was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

• Though I love them all, this might just be my favorite H&L to date! Blackmont family in general is one of my favorite aspects of the story, and you obviously have a very good understanding of these characters and their past. So, that pretty much already guarantees every H&L you write for these characters will be enjoyable. However, this part was especially awesome, with showing us the younger and less bitter Benedict, as well as Valaena - showing where Gwendis got her ambition and strong personality. And then there is the Syrenho cameo, which is just perfectly creepy. Thanks for writing this! :)

Nymeria's War – Histories&Lore Gwendis Blackmont – Ambition "Gwendis", her father said softly. "Wake up. She felt the bed moving u

• edited May 2017

What's ironic is that when Nymeria wins, Gwendis could become the Lady of Blackmont and wield the power she has desired most of her life in her own right.
    Now that I think about it, how many soldiers can muster each kingdom? since we all know Dorne as a whole can muster 30,000 men at most, but I'm curious as to how many troops each petty kingdom can assemble.

Is also curious how Houses from the Red Mountains and the Dornish marches descend from First Men that intermarried with Andals, while those from eastern and central Dorne descend from Andals that displaced or defeated the First Men.

Nymeria's War – Histories&Lore Gwendis Blackmont – Ambition "Gwendis", her father said softly. "Wake up. She felt the bed moving u

• Hmm, I haven't really put too much thought on the exact numbers, but I guess I could make some estimations. Not counting sellswords, I'd say Martell's, Dayne's and Dryland's are able to muster around 3000-5000 troops. Fowler's, Manwoody's and Blackmont's are around 2000-3000. The Yronwood's are clearly the strongest kingdom right now, with all their vassals being able to muster nearly 10 000 troops.

What's ironic is that when Nymeria wins, Gwendis could become the Lady of Blackmont and wield the power she has desired most of her life in

• Thank you, thank you, I am so glad that you enjoyed it :) I had tremendous fun writing it and though I wasn't too sure if I should post it right now, so shortly after the Varyn H&L, I just couldn't hold on to it any longer. Out of the 4 H&L's I have written for the story, I also consider this one my favourite, but truth be told, I'm always having a blast writing these. Here, it was especially nice to get a chance to show Valaena and the Syrenho stuff is something I am also happy about, that I've got it to work the way I wanted. In general, I think Gwendis is the character I find it the easiest to write H&L's for and this one gave me plenty of ideas for future H&L's, which I hope to write down in time. And well, thank you for giving me the inspiration to write these, I doubt I wouldn't be able to write them without the amazing story you're writing here!

Though I love them all, this might just be my favorite H&L to date! Blackmont family in general is one of my favorite aspects of the sto

• edited May 2017

What's ironic is that when Nymeria wins, Gwendis could become the Lady of Blackmont and wield the power she has desired most of her life in her own right.

This one is true. As the older child, Gwendis would be first in line to inherit when Nymeria wins. And though Naemon finally started to step up in the more recent parts, I doubt he'd ever be as capable as his sister could be. Actually the fleeting hope that this might be an option is one of the reasons why I chose for Gwendis to go with Aisha instead of marrying Desmor Fowler, probably the only good thing that could actually come out of dealing with that witch. I mean, nothing against Desmor, he's a great guy, but Gwendis' claim to the throne of Blackmont would be gone the moment she'd become a Fowler. Though as it is right now, staying alive until Nymeria wins over the Blackmont's is probably going to be anything but easy :# Anyways, thank you for reading!

What's ironic is that when Nymeria wins, Gwendis could become the Lady of Blackmont and wield the power she has desired most of her life in

• edited May 2017

Rember to check the new Gwendis H&L above!^^

-

Kris

Kris Vaith was mounted on his war horse, standing still between Ser Howar Uller and captain Yohn Redfort from the Wild Suns. Behind them was a cavalry of around eighty mounted soldiers from the forces of Ser Howar and the Wild Suns. They were positioned a few hundred feet away from the bridge, observing in silence as the Unsullied, led by their commander Red Maggot, advanced against the defenders. Though Kris was thankful that Dalia had not chosen to send the Mother's Favored, it was still an unpleasant sight – the men defending the bridge were men of Vaith after all.

While the Unsullied and Vaith soldiers battled at the bridge, captain Zara had led archers to the beach. From there they sent volleys on the reinforcements of the defenders. The Vaith's did have their line of archers as well of course, positioned a couple dozen feet behind the bridge, mostly aiming their arrows at the Unsullied.

Kris was clenching to his Valyrian steel sword, End of Night, his eyes constantly focused on the battle ahead of them. The men defending the bridge didn't give up easily, but the Unsullied marched forward with the discipline and precision they were known for, slowly gaining more and more of the bridge under their control. Many fell down, either by the spears or arrows of the enemy, or being pushed to the river that flowed under the bridge. But as an Unsullied soldier fell, another took its place, without a second of hesitation. Kris had to admire it, even if he knew the terrible truth about how soldiers like these were made. Their whole lives have been stripped from them, leaving them no meaning outside the battlefield.

This made Kris think about the Mother's Favored. They were very different kind of slaves. Their lives had been stripped away from them too, but unlike the Unsullied they had once known freedom. And will again, Kris thought decidedly. Months ago he had managed to convince his mother that the slaves would have to be freed once they had taken Vaith. This he had also promised to the captain of the Mother's Favored, Hangman, and it was a promise he intended to keep.

"It looks like the defenders are starting to break", Yohn Redfort observed with a calm tone on his voice. Yohn was a fairly young man, probably on his mid-twenties. He had a long and clean shaven face, with dark medium length hair and calm blue eyes, which now could only faintly be seen under the visor of his crude steel helmet. The man was tall and muscular, now armed with a lance and shield that was decorated with the sigil of Redfort – a red castle on a white field. His black tabard though had the red sun of the Wild Suns. From the small time Kris had known him Yohn seemed like a pleasant man, and someone he could trust to ride by his side.

Ser Howar Uller on the other hand was wearing the colors of House Dryland, and armed with a spear. Howar was a man on his early thirties, and him Kris knew from before. They had met many times in the past, in tourneys and weddings. Kris remembered now that the last time he had met Ser Howar was at the feast held for the first nameday of Nickon. As painful as it was to think about it now, it was a pleasant memory. Kris had always seen Howar as a very calm and level headed man, unlike his reckless older brother Harbert Uller.

Now the defenders had finally been pushed back from the bridge and those left started to retreat towards the city. "Charge!" Kris commanded, and the cavalry started rushing towards the bridge. The Unsullied got out of the way, as Kris, Howar and Yohn led their forces over the bridge and after the retreating defenders. Kris rode down a couple archers that had refused to escape, but after that he stopped, not feeling like killing men who were basically his own subjects. However, the rest of the cavalry was less merciful, and none of the defenders managed to escape.

Around twenty Unsullied had fallen taking over the bridge. The ones who were still standing quickly formed a line of defense between the bridge and the city, just in case the defenders would send a cavalry to harass the army in process to cross the river. With the lead of Kris, the cavalry gathered up again, forming their lines on the hills south of the city. Meanwhile the rest of the Wild Suns made their way over the bridge, and started to form their ranks behind the lines of Unsullied and the cavalry. The first ones to made it over the bridge and form up again were the Bloodfangs, led by Khazor the Sarnori, and after them came the Mother's Favored, led by their captain Hangman, as well as Minesa.

Before even half the forces had crossed the river, the southern gates of Vaith were opened. The cavalry of House Vaith started to make its way out, under hundred mounted soldiers carrying the orange and yellow banners with the three black leopards, flapping proudly in the soft wind. Kris had never expected to see the day he would be charging against those banners. And hopefully I'll never have to again.

"They want to face us in open field?", Yohn Redfort said with a surprised tone on his voice. "So it seems", Kris answered with a sigh. In all honesty he couldn't say he was surprised – he might've done the same in the position of the defenders. Vaith wasn't an easy city to defend. Its old walls weren't tall enough, making it easy for an attacking force to overwhelm them, and the gates weren't that strong either. Weakening the attacking force as much as possible with a cavalry charge made sense, Kris had to admit it.

"Get ready for a charge!" Kris yelled with a commanding tone, and the cavalry line spread out across the hill, ready to charge down it. If they'd begin their charge at the same time with the defensive forces, the two cavalries would clash on the low point between the two hills, making it an equal ground. However, Kris had another idea. "Stay!" He commanded, as the enemy already begun to advance towards them. "But Lord Kris, we can't allow them to come too close to our infantry", Ser Howar remarked with a touch of concern, and Kris gave him a reassuring nod. "Don't worry, Ser Howar, we won't", he said sternly, watching as the enemy cavalry made its way down from the hill.

"I see, you want us to have the high ground", Yohn Redfort realized quickly, a small grin forming on his face. Indeed, Kris thought, seeing the Vaith forces galloping over the flat area between the two hills, getting closer to the hill they had occupied. Finally, he raised up his glowing sword. "CHARGE!" Kris screamed from the bottom of his lungs. And so they started their ride towards the enemy, charging downhill. The ground trembled beneath them as they raced to the battle with thunderous warcries booming through the air, a cloud of dust following in their trail.

Midway down the forces clashed, and the cavalry led by Kris had the advantage of higher speed. Kris himself deflected a spear of an enemy, and unhorsed the man with a single swing of his sword. After the initial collision of the cavalries, the battle on the hillside turned into absolute chaos for a moment, dust and screams of agony filling the air. The Wild Suns had made a major blow on the Vaith cavalry, but the fight was not over.

Kris slayed a couple of enemies that had fallen from their horses, and took down a Vaith soldier who was trying to escape back towards the city. After this he rode up the hill again, seeing that most of the survived Vaith cavalry was retreating towards east, where they would no doubt soon form up for another charge.

"Form up!" Kris commanded his own forces, and he could hear Yohn and Howar repeating his order. Hastily they formed lines, and a couple hundred feet away from them the Vaith cavalry did the same. This time neither of them would have the high ground on this sloping battlefield. "Charge, charge!" Kris screamed once again, and the cavalry followed his lead.

Kris' sword clashed with the enemy's, the Valyrian steel cutting through and breaking the Vaith soldier's blade, proceeding to slash open the man's throat. Once again the world around Kris was filled with dust, screaming and blood. He turned around, seeing a soldier galloping towards him amidst the dirt and sand that floated in the air. The soldier swung at his sword to Kris a couple times, but he managed to parry each strike. As he saw an opening, Kris thrusted his sword at the chest of the enemy, the tip of the blade penetrating through the man's tabard and chainmail, as well as pushing him off the horse.

After a moment the couple dozen Vaith soldiers that were left from their cavalry started to retreat back towards the city. The skirmish had resulted in a hillside full of dead or dying men and horses. Dust floated in the air, blood drained down the sands. Kris cleaned his sword, and gathered up what was left of the cavalry – that being fewer than fifty soldiers. Many of those who had survived were injured, Ser Howar being one of them.

"Ser Howar, Yohn, keep the cavalry in form – I'll go have a word with Lady Dalia", Kris informed sternly, and both Howar and Yohn nodded to him approvingly. Kris made his way all the way up the hill, where Dalia was observing the situation with Mizro the Sharp and Khazor the Sarnori. Meanwhile the rear of the Wild Suns' army made their way across the bridge. Kris dismounted his horse and walked to the commanders.

"Good job with the cavalry, Lord Kris", Dalia Sand complimented with a mild smile on her face. "Many fell", Kris replied grimly. "More of them than us", Mizro remarked with a smirk, and Kris shot a glare at him. Before he could say anything, Dalia put her hand on his shoulder, a soft expression on her usually stern face. "You did well, Lord Kris", she said with a reassuring tone, looking Kris straight to the eyes. "I understand it must be hard to fight against your own... Let's just hope this will be over soon."

"If we want it to be over, we better proceed with our planning", Khazor the Sarnori joined the conversation with a cold and stern tone, and both Kris and Dalia turned towards him. "You used to be the Lord of this place – what do you think we should do next?" Khazor asked from Kris.

"There are a few things. Firstly, we should send some of the forces to take over the watchtower east of the city – that way we'll get a warning in case enemy reinforcements arrive by the river. Aside from that, I think we should split our forces and attack both the southern and the eastern gate, as well as send small groups to scale the walls from various places. Vaith is a hard city to defend, and forcing the defenders to spread their forces thin will make it even harder for them." As Kris stopped talking, they were all quiet for a moment.

"I suggest we send Haridos Fyllah and his Tyroshi sellswords to take over the watchtower", Mizro said, his gaze shifting from Khazor to Kris to Dalia. "I'd say I trust them more with a mission like that, rather than taking over the battlements. They are skilled fighters, but they surely aren't our most disciplined troops."

"You're right", Dalia admitted calmly. "Haridos will go for the watchtower. Meanwhile, Khazor, you and Kris will attack the southern gate with the Bloodfangs, Mother's Favored and the cavalry. Mizro, you will lead the attack on the eastern gate with Red Maggot and Captain Marduk, and after you've made it through I will follow with Desi and her guards. Iznein, Jaqyllo and Zara can assault the walls. Once inside the city, make sure to take over the town square – there we can regroup for the assault on the castle."

"Sounds like a plan", Mizro quipped with a carefree tone. "I'll go inform the Unsullied and Marduk." With these words Mizro walked away from them, and Kris turned his eyes to Khazor. He didn't really know what to think of this man, but soon they would have to work together.

"I'll storm the gates with my troops", the Sarnori grunted with a humorless tone. "Your slave soldiers can help, as long as they don't get on the way."

"Understood", Kris said dryly. "And once you've managed to break through the gates I'll ride in with the cavalry."

"Exactly", Khazor replied, a hint of a smirk forming on his face. Without any further conversation, Khazor walked to the Bloodfangs, getting ready to lead them into battle. Kris on the other hand turned to Dalia. As he looked into those dark eyes, he noticed that she seemed nervous. "Is everything alright?" Kris asked calmly, and Dalia nodded.

"It's just... there is something wrong with this place, I can feel it, and I know Desi can feel it too", she answered quietly. Kris tensed up, knowing exactly what Dalia was referring to – he had come all too familiar with that feeling before he left Vaith.

"It's Myra", he hissed, clenching his fists as he spoke. The look on Dalia's eyes was somewhat alarmed as Kris said that name, but she kept her calm. "When we make it into the city, Desirea and I will find her", Dalia said quietly, her eyes fixed on Kris. "I know it is at least as important to you as it is for us, so... If you want you can leave the command of the cavalry for Yohn and Howar, and come with us."

[Lead the cavalry] [Go with Dalia]

• edited May 2017

[Go with Dalia]
    While I don't doubt Dalia's skill, we haven't seen Jamison yet, and I doubt she could defeat him alone and prevent Myra from escaping. Then there's Valerie and finding Nickon.

Rember to check the new Gwendis H&L above!^^ - Kris Kris Vaith was mounted on his war horse, standing still between Ser Howar U

• Aha, it's Kris! Given that I guessed it earlier, this is not too much of a surprise and to be honest, he is the only Vaith character I could have seen as a PoV, although Laroy would have surely offered an interesting perspective as well. So, I am happy with this, though I wonder what this means for him and Dalia. I doubt both will remain at the same spot for long, given that you likely have storylines in mind for both of them, or else there wouldn't have been the need for a new PoV here. I look forward for this very much!

[Go with Dalia]

Earlier, I have brought up the hope that Kris might be willing to accompany Dalia and Desi when they go after Aisha. I consider him to be a valuable asset there, a good fighter, a good commander and most importantly, a super chill guy who is hopefully level-headed enough to prevent an already heated situation from escalating. I don't know if such an option will be possible and it will likely be narrowed down to a choice from him, on wether or not he is going to accompany Dalia once she moves on from Vaith. But if there is the chance, then I think it will be made more likely if we involve him with this whole R'hllor/Great Other stuff as much as possible. Have him go after his ex-wife here in Vaith, so that he might be more willing to take her or Valerie down if one of them is indeed going to escape in the aftermath of the battle. This is his fight as well and he deserves to be present when they are caught.

Rember to check the new Gwendis H&L above!^^ - Kris Kris Vaith was mounted on his war horse, standing still between Ser Howar U

• [Lead the cavalry]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.