Monkey island 5

edited June 2007 in General Chat
I can't help to notice everyone speaks here about getting a MI5. Isn't a better place to do that over at doublefine?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Why? Double Fine don't make point-and-click adventure games, and it's hard to imagine Monkey Island as being anything else. Regardless, I don't think there's currently any company to expect Monkey Island 5 from, but one can always dream...
  • edited April 2007
    Ah. I had always thought that tim schafer was the big wig behind MI, but it seems it is actually owned by Ron Gilbert. Both of which worked with Dave Grossman who I also find works here. So perhaps you are right this is the place to go.
  • edited April 2007
    There already are 5 Monkey Island games.
  • edited April 2007
    Eater wrote: »
    Ah. I had always thought that tim schafer was the big wig behind MI, but it seems it is actually owned by Ron Gilbert. Both of which worked with Dave Grossman who I also find works here. So perhaps you are right this is the place to go.

True, Dave Grossman is co creater, though not many knew about this. I remember when I went to the focus group to play S&M ep 4 and mentioned that he help create the first monkey island. He was quite suprised.
  • edited April 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    True, Dave Grossman is co creater, though not many knew about this. I remember when I went to the focus group to play S&M ep 4 and mentioned that he help create the first monkey island. He was quite suprised.

He didn't know either? :D

What does Ron Gilbert do nowadays? I check his website out from time to time, and I can't really tell. :rolleyes:
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »

I think he was just being Dave. He's the most unassuming person I've ever met. :)
  • edited April 2007
    from what I heard Ron started a game company with someone (his girlfriend? not sure can't remember) and wasn't heard from much since. but i also can't remember where I heard it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I think Ron Gilbert is currently working on a design for a new RPG/adventure hybrid type thing that he's taking around pitching to publishers. He's also, I think, doing game design and consultation work as a contractor on the side.
  • edited April 2007
    Yes, he started Humongous Entertainment, but after while he left that one as well.
    Nowa'days he seems to mostly be playing WoW, and occasionally writing in his blog.
    He have also begun to make a Rpg-Adventure hybrid, but havn't had any luck getting it published, in god know how long.

Ops, damn you Jake! :D
  • edited April 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »

He was just suprised that someone knew he worked on that game. I guess most fan thinks that Ron Gilbert created the game single handedly.

I wonder when is the next focus group for Sam and MAx since I missed the last two because of other things.
  • edited April 2007
    An italian team is making MI5 in MI3 style: "the darkness of Monkey Island".
    Here is the link for some images: http://miforum.forumcommunity.net/?t=3421388&st=0
  • edited April 2007
    I have to admit, those images look pretty good!
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, yeah, that looks a lot better than the average fan game. Mystinsun, do you have any idea if the project is still being worked on, and if yes, when it's estimated to be released (or at least a demo)?
  • edited April 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Wow, yeah, that looks a lot better than the average fan game. Mystinsun, do you have any idea if the project is still being worked on, and if yes, when it's estimated to be released (or at least a demo)?

Oh yes, those guys are incredibles. They said that the game will be released in 2008, in the second quarter. It will be translated in english at the end of the work. All for free! :D
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks! I'll be looking forward to it. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Mystinsun wrote: »
    An italian team is making MI5 in MI3 style: "the darkness of Monkey Island".
    Here is the link for some images: http://miforum.forumcommunity.net/?t=3421388&st=0
    Remind me, has there even been a MI5? I first thought about MI4.. being made into CMI style :P
  • edited May 2007
    No, Lucasarts has abandoned the MI5 project like Sam&Max Freelance Police and Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels.
    And for that, the italian team is making the new sequel. I admire them.:p
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Was there ever an MI5 project to abandon? (just curious)
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Was there ever an MI5 project to abandon? (just curious)

Nope, indeed. But, if you remember, in the last adventure, the Voodoo Lady hints that she has an unbreakable five-game contract with LucasArts.
    But this is never happened.:eek:
  • edited May 2007
    Just because Lucasarts is not making their own Monkey Island 5, this does not make the italian project official or even legal. Lucasarts still owns the franchise. Sam & Max was a special case in which Lucasarts never owned them, but was merely licensing them from Steve Purcell.
  • edited May 2007
    Secret, LeChuck's Revenge, Curse, and Escape and that makes 4. Nope guys, I dont think MI5 was ever in the making or ever will be for that matter :/
  • edited May 2007
    True, but I think they are referring to the game dialogue that mentions a fifth one. However, that doesn't mean it will ever be made.

As for mi5 ever been talked about,? It has, but just because Ron Gilbert wants to finish the game and reveal the secret.
  • edited May 2007
    I've definitely lingered on the hinting-to-sequel dialogue especially the hints in MI3 (which was a while back :/), but even so, I found myself kind of dissapointed with Monkey 4. MI4 seemed to be a bit too commercial for my taste, especially when Monkeys 1-3 were so chalk full of just plain old non-lawyer-joke humor. I'd totally want to see MI5 happen, just as long as the games that hinted too it are similiar in style.

And, of course, there is the matter that LucasArts has had its share of picking a good idea and dropping it...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    From around 1992-1994 my brother claimed very enthusiastically that he saw Monkey Island 3 in our local PC store one time. He even knew the name of it, and could describe the box. Sometime around when Full Throttle came out he finally realized/decided that he'd been dreaming, and hadn't thought about it all that hard or questioned it ever. Granted he was 9-10 at the time.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm sure I read something the other day saying one of the LA PR staff hinted at an MI5. It might have been on Teletext, I'm not sure.
  • edited May 2007
    A few months ago I read something about Lucas Arts bringing back both Monkey Island and Grim Fandango earliest 2015, but I don't remember where. :/
  • edited May 2007
    Personally I used to say 'Just make a movie out of it and that'll be the icing on the cake', but then Pirates came out and I knew LucasArts/Film wouldn't be doing any milking the quadrilogy that way. For now I'm just going to let things flow, good things tend to come in time.
  • edited May 2007
    Okay, I feel the need to comment on the 2015 thing, because it seems like people have taken that way too literally and I don't think it's right that adventure fans should get their hopes up over what I feel is a distorted version of Jim Ward's quote, or is at least lacking in context.

I'm going to transcribe the relevant part of that interview not to rain on anybody's parade, but to remind everyone of what was actually said so that you don't based your hopes on what Monkey Island fans since this interview have said, namely that Jim Ward made some kind of promise. Here's the exact exchange, and frankly I don't see any positives (regarding reviving old adventure IP, anyway) that can be drawn from it:
    G4: I've got to ask you about humor in games, because you guys were sort of on the leading edge of that with the Monkey Island series and Day of the Tentacle..I grew up and loved those LucasArts adventure games. Are you guys ever going to bring back those series again?
    Jim Ward: Yeah Jeff you know, we could do that, but you know what? I challenge our guys with another thing, and that's, you know what, we had the glory days back then, but I said you know we will bring those games back in 2015, if we can develop new IPs, because I reminded them, "Remember Dukes of Hazzard and Bewitched last summer for movies?" Didn't do too well did they? We've gotta come up with new ideas and fresh ideas and once we do that, fine, then we can bring back some of the old ideas, because you know what, we can come up with better ideas than those games and we will.

2015 as a year sounds to me like something he said just off the top of his head, and doesn't mean anything. I think he just said that just so he wouldn't have to tell the guy "No, we're abandoning those old IP," even though that's clearly what he's saying. And heck, even if he really meant that he intends to bring those game back in 2015 (which he didn't), what makes you think Jim Ward is even going to be around then? What LucasArts president ever had a ten year tenure?

(Try to resist the obvious targets for mockery, specifically that LucasArts is coming out with "fresh, better" ideas these days.)
  • edited May 2007
    And there we have it. Forgive my mockery, but LucasArts has milked enough from the StarWars series in every possible genre, enough to fight like a dairy farmer, and its worked for them. Why should they stop here? Plenty of more planets to make up, new droids to invent, and certainly more Schools for the would-be Jedi Knights out there. Face it, the movies are over, but I dont think we'll be seeing any MI games; not until such expectations of Star Wars games are fulfilled.

Truly entertainment business is king among all other occupational fields. I think after the very unsuccesfull StarWars MMO (SW Galaxies which seemed like a good idea, at first). Just wait and see, its a sound bet that there will be a long LucasArts led strive to make a better MMO, and probably several Jedi-Style Wii advantage taking fighter games. Though the wishfull thinking in previous posts on these threads do make me feel better, it doesnt seem to make sense.
  • edited May 2007
    Someone should buy the MI rights from Lucasarts. Even the Full Throttle rights. Not so much Grim Fandango unless its a prequel cause the ending was a classic.
    How much can it cost? I smell another Telltale forum users fund. Hehehe. Now if only every user here was a millionaire.
  • edited May 2007
    It can unfortunately cots a lot.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Based on their big-wig LA skew logic, they'll probably hold the rights because eventually they might make a game out of that even if they are unwilling to spend money on it right now. Perhaps in 2115.
  • edited May 2007
    This is it fellas, I shall cryogenetically freeze myself until the year 2115, where there shall hopefully be time machines for the return trip....
  • edited May 2007
    b88975080.jpg
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Rofl
  • edited May 2007
    The graphics sux! :P
  • edited June 2007
    Seems like there might be an official Monkey Island game comming out afterall. According to World of Monkey Island http://www.worldofmi.com, there are rumors of Monkey Island 5. Appearantly, the guys who worked on the music compositions of the classic MI games claims that the game is comming out.

To add fuel to this rumor, Steve Purcell sent images to the world of monkey island site, saying "in no way connected to any existing or canceled piratey project.."

One of the images closely resemble La Chuck.

Luckily l saved the pic and put it on my photobucket before the wmi sever went down.

Here is the pirate captain pic.from the world of monkey island site:

Cap.jpg

I didn't save the other two pics.
  • edited June 2007
    Hmmmmm... Well they better keep it faithful to the old school Monkey Island games! As in Monkey Island 1-3.
  • edited June 2007
    Can't connect to MixNMojo nor worldofmi.... why?!?!?!?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.